Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2017 4:42:40 PM EDT
How do you set-up your rests when shooting the Tavor for accuracy? Pics if you have them.

On youtube, the shooters usually rest the front on a bag and nothing under the rear which doesn't look like it would show the best accuracy
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Caldwell AR bags for just about everything including precision long rifle.  The front bag is relatively common shape and can be used standing or lying on its side.  The rear bag is usually where the odd shapes and ergonomics occur, and the Caldwell AR rear bag shape allows all kinds of adaptation.  Bag setup can be very preferential and gun shapes throw all kinds of curves into the mix.  I've just found these particular Caldwell bags to be the best all-around bags I've seen.  I think people sometimes get the impression that one has to use a given bag design in one position only.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, no pics but what I have found for myself that works the best is having anything forward of the pistol grip not resting on anything. Certainly wasn't my idea but was a received response from someone claiming better accuracy than generally associated with the X95. It isn't representative of what to expect from the rifle in real world use of course unless trying to force the X95 into a role it wasn't designed for.

I don't know if it's barrel harmonics or the flex of the polymer body that causes bigger grouping. I only know that leaving the front end unsupported results in better bench groups. In my limited experience with it, I do know that using the attached vertical fore grip can (in my X95 at least) not only affect the group size but also create a shift in the POI at 100 meters.

Without pictures, it's all just talk on the net but maybe give it a try (unsupported from the pistol grip forward versus supported) and see how it works out for you. I also use the VG6 Epsilon and that greatly decreases muzzle flip which for me means greater accuracy with follow up shots.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: It isn't representative of what to expect from the rifle in real world use of course unless trying to force the X95 into a role it wasn't designed for.
View Quote
I only want to find out what the rifle and ammo are capable of and take me out of the equation as much as possible when testing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Tavor SAR with factory hand guard.  I put a sling swivel stud in the threaded hole in the bottom of the hand guard.   I use a Harris bipod on the stud and sand bag either under the pistol grip or the butt of the rifle.  Using the bag under the butt usually depresses the bolt catch and usually causes the rifle not to lock the bolt back on an empty mag.

I've used a 2.5-10X44 scope on my Tavor.  My Tavor seems to provide best accuracy with 69 grain SMK and 55 grain bullets.  My Tavor can produce very good groups at 100 yards but does not display the consistent accuracy of my free floated AR-15's.  My Tavor has adequate combat accuracy but my groups really don't benefit from magnified optic.  My 69 grain SMK have produced groups from 1"-1.5" but will throw a group of 2".  I just don't think the light barrel long stroke gas piston is optimum for shooting consistent 1-1.5 MOA groups.   I shoot mostly 55 grain FMJ for training and plinking.  The 55 grain FMJ produces adequate accuracy for CQB and shooting steel plates.

I use an E O Tech RDS and the 1 MOA dot circle reticle has very good speed and the 1 MOA dot provides a means of making precision shots.   I view the Tavor as a CQB weapon and is very versatile in use around vehicles.  I shoot a lot of 9" paper plates with pistols and carbines for training.  My Tavor can easily keep all shots on a 9" paper plate at 100 yards with a RDS using 55 grain M-193.  This is adequate performance for how I use my Tavor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top