Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 6:14:35 PM EDT
I'm on a maintenance kick with my guns lately, and now that I'm to my 20+ year old AUG-A1 I have some questions:

1.  Has anyone ever had to replace the recoil springs inside the guide rods?  The locking pieces at the end of the rods seem to be Loctited on so it's not an easy swap

2.  Is it ok to remove the ejector roll pin to take a look at the ejector spring?  I've often heard that roll pins, in general, shouldn't be reused and to use a new one (which I don't have)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not done number 1 but number 2 you can re use roll pins.  The only concern would be if the head of the pin is starting to mushroom.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
1. No, but I know how to do it and it's pretty involved compared to other stuff.

2. No, I believe it's a solid pin, not a roll pin. May be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. No, but I know how to do it and it's pretty involved compared to other stuff.

2. No, I believe it's a solid pin, not a roll pin. May be wrong on that.
View Quote
the extractor pin is solid and was easy to remove with a Glock tool.  the ejector pin is a roll pin (2mm?) and is too small for the Glock tool, which is a 3/32" punch.  I have a 5/64" punch on its way which should work for it
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember a post from PJ years ago where he said they offered the recoil spring replacement service. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd too like to know how to remove the thrust rod tops; I have 20 year old spring in there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd too like to know how to remove the thrust rod tops; I have 20 year old spring in there.
View Quote
It's not the age, it's the number of cycles.

Friend on mine shot out his AUG: 20 years (and about 20,000 rounds, he estimated) of use left it unable to group at 100 yards. The recoil springs were still running the BCG just fine.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, managed to get the ejector and roll pin out and back in.  whoever owned it before me back in the 90's managed to mushroom one end of the pin so it was a pain getting it back in in an orientation that didn't leave a jagged edge extending above the body of the bolt.

Does anyone know the length of a new ejector spring?  iirc, it's supposed to be replaced if it's shorter than 25mm and mine is right at 25mm
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ok, managed to get the ejector and roll pin out and back in.  whoever owned it before me back in the 90's managed to mushroom one end of the pin so it was a pain getting it back in in an orientation that didn't leave a jagged edge extending above the body of the bolt.

Does anyone know the length of a new ejector spring?  iirc, it's supposed to be replaced if it's shorter than 25mm and mine is right at 25mm
View Quote
I'll measure mine when I get back home.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The replacement spec is failure of a gauge reading.

Unless you're having failures, it's probably not worth replacing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
My new spare ejector spring comes in at 27mm.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.

One of the Australian .mil members over at Lightfighter mentioned a while back that brass ejecting forward (which mine does about 70% of the time) is a sign of a weak ejector spring.  That's what got me looking into it
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I notice a lot more variation depending on ammo. Weak vs NATO spec will change ejection from front to back.

And no I don't recall which ammo makes it eject which way.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're 2mm shorter, assuming your?spring started at 27mm also, your spring set 7%. I don't know the implications of what that means, but it could be a good indication to swap springs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I was having quite a few failures to eject in my AUG A3, with the brass impacting the front of the ejection port or stove piping.  After a call to Steyr, the gentleman in their Tech department instructed me to replace the ejector spring or send it back for them to look at. Since I had a repair kit on-hand, I drove out the ejector roll pin to replace the spring.  Turns out, the spring was short by a few millimeters.  The gun had given me fits since it was new, and this solved my ejection problems.  It even runs fine suppressed now.  I believe I used the replacement roll pin in the repair kit, but I'm sure the original could have been reused.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top