Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2017 1:11:24 AM EDT
Topic probably beaten to death, but looking mostly for opinions from people that have handled both.  I have a AUG/A3 SA, or I think that's the model with the tulip flash hider and pic rail on top.  Really eyeballing the newer model Tavors though. Right now get both is not an option. I don't mind the AUG, but do miss having a somewhat traditional hold for my support hand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:30:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, you can get the AUG Z Forend that offers a traditional grip:

Available from Austria
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Get what you like.  For all practical purposes, they are the same in all categories, and the differences are more subtitles that bring out purse-swinging debates, rather than anything substantive.

Personally I prefer the AUG, and think it has some advantages.  Some guys Prefer the Tavor, and think it has some advantages.  It's really iPhone/Samsung    or   Ford/Chevy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Just leave the grip up if that's what you want.

No way would I trade a AUG for a X95.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Having compared both before buying.....I would only buy an AUG if I was to do it all over again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

+1000
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Topic probably beaten to death, but looking mostly for opinions from people that have handled both.  I have a AUG/A3 SA, or I think that's the model with the tulip flash hider and pic rail on top.  Really eyeballing the newer model Tavors though. Right now get both is not an option. I don't mind the AUG, but do miss having a somewhat traditional hold for my support hand.
View Quote

Owned both, would take the AUG any day.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Not my opinion ...

AUG

Tavor
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned both for a couple of years now.  I don't need two bullpup 5.56 rifles...but...I don't want to get rid of either one of them.  I've used the Tavor in a SWAT class, and I've killed a coyote with the AUG.  I have the AUG set up mainly for night use, and the Tavor does day duty.  As Lazy E suggested, I think it just comes down to purse swinging when trying to rank these two guns against each other in a superiority/inferiority contest.  Preference will probably have more to do with it, and even then I don't really have a preference.  These are both quality weapons that you can trust your life with.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both.  AUG is my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely the Aug over a Tavor SAR.  Haven't owned the X95 so I can't comment for sure.  The X95 does fix a lot of issues with the SAR, however has the accuracy issue been settled on the X95?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I own both . If I could only have one... AUG   AUG   .   I like the Tavor. But I wouldn't trade it for my A3 AUG .   WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I own both and prefer the AUG.

The AUG just fits me better than most any other rifle does. And I like the easy modularity.

The Tavor had its strong points too, but most of them are most evident when you're handing out 10,000 rifle to conscript troops that don't particularly want to be there.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
AUG all the way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep the AUG

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#15]
This is my old Sabre defense A3 AUG with a Burris Mtac 1x4x24 scope. It's super duper accurate at 100 yards. SBR length in a non SBR package.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I had an FS2000 and sold it and bought a Tavor. I sold that too. Based on my experiences, I would say keep the AUG as I am betting it has to be better than the other two.
I found out that bullpups are not for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Gonna take the advice and stay with the AUG, I'd say it has withstood the test of time if nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#18]
The only reason to swap the AUG for a Tavor is the lefty charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I also own both and for actual usage, the manual of arms is somewhat more traditional with the X95. The popularity of the Tavor has made the ability to customize it to your personal tastes much easier. Lots of aftermarket accessories but that's where the advantages for the Tavor X95 end for me.

My X95 is in the later T0062xxx serial range and it doesn't show the random grouping variances many have. But it isn't an AUG. I have carried an AUG as my "patrol carbine" for the better part of three decades.

For me, the Steyr simply balances better and is definitely more accurate with less effort than the Tavor. Another factor for me is that Steyr in my experience is more likely to try and address your concerns than is IWI. My first X95 did have the random accuracy issues but the response I got from IWI was that they found it to be within acceptable levels.

Compare that to my latest AUG M1 which had some barrel movement in the receiver and Steyr had me return it where they corrected the movement as well as testing out a couple of new barrel assemblies to see which gave the best accuracy.

Don't get me wrong. The X95 looks sharp and has decent accuracy for the breed but it simply isn't an AUG. If I could have only one, the AUG wins hands down. I think you're making a wise decision in sticking with the AUG.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both.  I shoot the AUG way more than the Tavor.  Both are good guns.  But I find the AUG more pleasurable to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get what you like.  For all practical purposes, they are the same in all categories, and the differences are more subtitles that bring out purse-swinging debates, rather than anything substantive.

Personally I prefer the AUG, and think it has some advantages.  Some guys Prefer the Tavor, and think it has some advantages.  It's really iPhone/Samsung    or   Ford/Chevy.
View Quote
I agree with this, I have a Tavor SAR and my brother has an AUG A3. I don't care for the AUG and he doesn't like the Tavor enough to sell the AUG, although he does like that my Tavor is more suppressor friendly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.akah.eu/8017225/1664569/product/m/steyr-aug-z-sport.jpg

Available from Austria
View Quote
299 euro???????
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive shot and used both - to include shooting an FA favor. AUG wins hands down every time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

299 euro???????
View Quote
On the plus side, the Euro is way down against the Dollar these days
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ive shot and used both - to include shooting an FA favor. AUG wins hands down every time.
View Quote
"AUG wins hands down every time"...need to add "for you/me".  The AUG is a great rifle as well as the Tavor/X95.  The superiority aspect comes in the way of application and just plain ol' preference.  Pros and cons in each.  My purse slinging is performed with the European model...now if I could just accessorize it with one of Jerry Seinfeld's "puffy" shirts, I'd be fabulous.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#26]
"...miss having a somewhat traditional hold for my support hand."

Then you definitely don't want a Tavor. Check out the way it's designed for the support hand. It pulls the weapon in toward the body for a tighter shooting platform, but, is unconventional and not traditional at all. I've owned a number of Steyr Augs throughout the last 28 years and recently purchased a Tavor because I like having various different shooting platforms. I did not like the Tavor. The skinny, metal trigger was very heavy (about 9lbs) for every shot and the top rail was set way too low for me to be able to comfortably get a decent cheek weld with my EoTech Holosight. I had no intention on spending $350 on a Super Sabra trigger group and a riser for my sights. Buy the Tavor if you want, but, not for a traditional support hand hold. Because it is not designed as such.

Oh, and what's stopping you from moving the grip forward (tucked up under the barrel) and shooting it with your support hand in the "traditional" manner? It works fine with my Steyr Aug A3. You just pull down on the grip and then move it forward and up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
F the haters x95 is best with it's AR controls.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I own both a A3 Aug flattop and a Original Tavor SAR, both have advantages and both are Combat Proven Designs. I owned the trash IWI calls a X95 and sold it

The Aug balances a little better and shoots a tad more accurately. With right ammo ive printed sub-moa groups, the quick change barrel makes deep cleaning easy. The downside is aftermarket support.

The Tavor SAR ( NOT X95 ) while not as good as the Aug is a fantastic piece, I shoot mine all the time. Reloads can be done super quick once you master it, its plenty accurate enough 1.5 MOA and while it seems heavier than the Aug it still balances good. Tons of Aftermarket parts

This all being said I absolutely would not trade a Aug for a X95, I would consider a Original Tavor and Some extra $$ as a even trade though. The X95 isnt nearly as good as the original that IWI put out, the difference in accuracy alone makes me drop WTF bombs, I sold mine and Picked up a Keltec RFB. Which Ironically enough is tons more accurate and has been 100% reliable for me
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I've owned SEVERAL of both (at least 3 of each) and I now have the AUG and I'm sticking with it. Great gun.

I really like the Nato stock. It works great.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Keep the AUG, you will be sad if you sell it. I love the AUG, battle proven. I'm still skeptical of the Tavor, but the newer X-95 does seem much better. I say save up to buy the Tavor if you really want it. Then you'll have both
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I've owned both. Preferred the Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Keep the AUG, you will be sad if you sell it. I love the AUG, battle proven. I'm still skeptical of the Tavor, but the newer X-95 does seem much better. I say save up to buy the Tavor if you really want it. Then you'll have both
View Quote
Well, the Tavor and X95 are basically the same rifle with a few ergonomic tweaks, so the "seems much better" assessment might be misleading...especially if you haven't owned one or shot one extensively.  

Frankly, I'm sad when I sell most any gun I've ever owned, and no, I'm not a gun collector.  I'm a gun user.  The great thing about having the AUG and Tavor/X95 at the same time is that you can set them up differently for different applications.  My AUG is set up with a light and optic more suitable for dark use, and my Tavor is more daylight oriented.  You can trust your life equally to either gun.  After all, they were designed primarily for military use and serve admirably in that capacity.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
299 euro???????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.akah.eu/8017225/1664569/product/m/steyr-aug-z-sport.jpg

Available from Austria
299 euro???????
That price probably includes the 15-20% VAT that's typically included in price quotes in Europe. You don't have to pay VAT on things exported from the EU.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I had both the AUG and an x95.  I still have the AUG....but miss the x95 so I will be getting another.  Both is best.  They are different enough to justify having both.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I like both (own an A3 and a SAR) but there are things about the AUG that stand out for me . Not that the SAR is a slouch in any way.

I prefer the heavier profile barrel of the AUG.
The AUG seems "overbuilt" to me from an engineering viewpoint. I was offered an x95 for my AUG ...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Ran the Aug against an SAR today.  SAR had the secondary trigger spring pulled which DOES give it a much lighter but mushier pull than the AUG.

The SAR is a noticeably lighter gun even with a Vortex PST 1-4 on it, versus my AUG with a long rail and a Romeo 7.

Both guns are equally accurate.  I was working on sighting in my AUG with the new rail and such but the potential of both guns was very equal.

I was VERY happy with the SAR, it's a damn good gun...but at the end of the day, the AUG is just the better gun for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I've shot both quite a bit.  I like the AUG better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I have owned both, and my assessment is that the main differences come down to magazine reloads, and accuracy.

The Tavor SAR generally has a faster and more intuitive reload speed. This is due to being able to release the magazine with the back of the thumb of the firing hand. The support hand does not need to worry about stripping out the expended mag (during a speed/emergency reload), and is only focused on grabbing a fresh mag.

The AUG requires the user to manually pull out the expended mag with the support hand as you cannot use your firing hand to actuate the magazine release.

The AUG, however, from my experiences was MUCH more accurate than the Tavor and produced much nicer, smaller groups.

The AUG also just felt smoother while firing. It shot cleaner too. I much preferred the AUG due to firing performance and the ability to accurately and easily engage targets at will.

The Tavor is much faster though in CQB and reloading.  

An over-simplified way to look at it is that the AUG is a better woods/ranged weapon while the Tavor is a better urban/CQB weapon.

If I HAD to pick, I would go with the AUG.  If only if they could manufacture an AUG with an M4 style mag release though..
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I believe you should never sell any gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:24:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly!  Take the AUG any day over that
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I believe you should never sell any gun.
View Quote
Why not? If you have something you don't shoot. Don't care much about. And it has no sentimental value. Why keep it?

I mean if you're Bill Gates and you actually like guns. Then you can afford to keep everything. But most of us aren't Bill Gates.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I prefer the Tavor over the Aug, but I would never sell either of them. Really it comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
F the haters x95 is best with it's AR controls.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/IMG-2080-168871.JPG
View Quote
In Range recently did a mud test of the X95. The AR style magazine release was one of the primary failure points. It seized up in the mud. Probably due to the linkage. The SAR/AUG magazine release is a bit more robust and forgiving.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Tavor is much faster though in CQB and reloading.  

An over-simplified way to look at it is that the AUG is a better woods/ranged weapon while the Tavor is a better urban/CQB weapon.
View Quote
I don't understand this part.  In what way is the Tavor faster in urban/CQB than the AUG? 
They are both equal in length but the AUG is better balanced since the center of gravity is right at the pistol grip
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Keep the AUG.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't understand this part.  In what way is the Tavor faster in urban/CQB than the AUG? 
They are both equal in length but the AUG is better balanced since the center of gravity is right at the pistol grip
View Quote
This is slightly subjective, but mostly due to my own experiences. Truth be told, my AUG was an A1 model and had a
20" barrel and the original 1.5x optic with the donut reticle. My Tavor has a 16" barrel and a RDS. So in my experiences the
Tavor feels faster.  Theoretically, a more compact AUG with a shorter barrel and a rail mounted RDS might feel just
as fast as the Tavor, and probably faster as it has a vertical fore-grip.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In Range recently did a mud test of the X95. The AR style magazine release was one of the primary failure points. It seized up in the mud. Probably due to the linkage. The SAR/AUG magazine release is a bit more robust and forgiving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

While I'm in the keep the AUG side and prefer the AUG... I generally don't let mud tests be a determining factor. Its not like you're gonna bury something in mud or seep enough mud to get in there.
Quoted:
The AUG requires the user to manually pull out the expended mag with the support hand as you cannot use your firing hand to actuate the magazine release.
Why not just use the fresh mag to use the mag release and drop the empty one?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

While I'm in the keep the AUG side and prefer the AUG... I generally don't let mud tests be a determining factor. Its not like you're gonna bury something in mud or seep enough mud to get in there.

Why not just use the fresh mag to use the mag release and drop the empty one?
View Quote
While that's not a bad technique, it still allows for less manual control from the user, and increases risk of slippage. You have to grip and effortfully press the spine of the fresh magazine into the AUG magazine release. If your grip on the magazine is not firm (if you are rushed or excited), you may fail to fully depress the magazine release. The magazine release doesn't click like a light switch. It can be a bit stiff and it requires more deliberate and direct manual effort to actuate, such as with your thumb.  I would honestly rather drop the magazine with the thumb of my support hand, and then proceed to my gear to fetch a fresh magazine, and then bring it up to insert it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#49]
All in all, the only time you are likely to EVER use a speed reload in combat is if you are under direct fire at close range right when you go empty. Aside from that very rare occurrence, you will nearly always pull the magazine out, toss it into your dump pouch before grabbing a fresh mag. It's about magazine retention. So on those occasions, this point is moot. I still like having the ability to drop the magazine with my firing hand. But like I said, you are probably never going to do a speed reload in combat. For that reason I stand by my choice of the AUG.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#50]
The correct solution in the above scenario is to transition to your sidearm (if so equipped).

Nobody cares about mag retention during combat. Only mags with ammo in them matter.

Speed reloading the AUG by using the fresh mag to release the empty is a fine motor skill, and yes it's less certain than dedicating your entire support hand to removing the empty first. I agree that most of the time, that difference in speed won't matter.

I still prefer the speed method though, so I practice to better ensure I can accomplish it under stress.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top