Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The more rounds I put through my RDB the more I am considering it to be my go to rifle which is crazy however the benefits (lightweight/compact/flat shooting) are outshining all of my other rigs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The TLR2HLG wasn't cheap. But I got a decent deal on it. Wish green lasers weren't so more expensive compared to red, but it's different tech and all that. I'm a fan of Streamlight for the money. The HL pushing out 800 lumens is a good value, especially considering it's package size. I've got a nice Surefire light. But it's long and big and pushing out 200 lumens less. A smaller Surefire WML would be in the 300 lumen range and still be expensive. I used to think that a light pushing 600 or 800+ lumens might be too much for indoors. But you use the light correctly, and it's not a big issue at all. Outdoor the TLR2HLG is fantastic. Lights up a lot of space.

I looked at some of the smaller laser options. Like Lasermax etc. Small packages. But I decided on the Streamlight light and then decided I wanted to try a laser again. And to me anyways, the piggybacked laser module at little size to the light itself. Plus I wanted to be able to use then both with one remote switch if need be.

The green laser is stunning at night and day, especially against the red. Buy once, cry once I guess. But sometimes spending less or cheaper stuff might be the way to go when testing things out. Nothing wrong with that. I know you did the same thing by buying a cheapie ebay red dot to try out on top of your M1. But I had the Aimpoint T2 micro already. So on it went. Heck, I'll borrow stuff from family or friends if I can.

I personally think the TLR2HLG light/laser combo has a good compromise with the footprint. Especially since I wanted to try out a laser and get a good light in the process. Bonus they came together and I can decide not to use the laser if I want. It just doesn't stick out and isn't as cumbersome to me, when comparing it to something like my Sure M600P. Great light, the Sure fire but it's long and the head is as thick or so as the entire Streamlight.

Right now, I'm looking at some ideas to rig up a shell deflector. Don't get me wrong, the Corvus Defense one looks good. But I don't feel like spending $100 on it. Not when I can rig up something to slap on the gun for a couple bucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I test fired that Streamlight at the 3-gun shoot, at their side-booth.  Green laser makes a pretty big difference over Red (especially in higher light settings) - though I'm having  a hard time with the fact that it costs 2X as much.  It's an amazing light/laser combo, and made my kit look like crap.   Yea - I'm the guy who showed up with a headlight for the pistol stages (Big BIG mistake), and a $20 Amazon flashlight clamped on for the rifle stages (barely worked, thank God stuff was pretty close).  That streamlight just lights up the entire bay - it was amazing.  And with the laser, you couldn't miss.  

But here's the rub - I want to mount-and-forget.  And that Streamlight, as compact as it is for what it is, is still a bit bigger than I'm going to want to just leave on the gun.  So I'm investigating micro-laser systems, that I can just leave on the gun.  The compromise with those of course being less power and I suppose battery life.  But that's what I'm looking at.  For now, I've got a cheap-ass $12 version on order, that's a red one.  Pretty sure the innards of this is one of those $3 grocery store red laser pointers for entertaining your cat at 2', but in a different housing to pop onto a gun.  I've used those for work-presentations, and they basically are only good for the first couple minutes - but it's something to play around with, before I drop the $150 for a proper green micro-laser.

The TLR2HLG wasn't cheap. But I got a decent deal on it. Wish green lasers weren't so more expensive compared to red, but it's different tech and all that. I'm a fan of Streamlight for the money. The HL pushing out 800 lumens is a good value, especially considering it's package size. I've got a nice Surefire light. But it's long and big and pushing out 200 lumens less. A smaller Surefire WML would be in the 300 lumen range and still be expensive. I used to think that a light pushing 600 or 800+ lumens might be too much for indoors. But you use the light correctly, and it's not a big issue at all. Outdoor the TLR2HLG is fantastic. Lights up a lot of space.

I looked at some of the smaller laser options. Like Lasermax etc. Small packages. But I decided on the Streamlight light and then decided I wanted to try a laser again. And to me anyways, the piggybacked laser module at little size to the light itself. Plus I wanted to be able to use then both with one remote switch if need be.

The green laser is stunning at night and day, especially against the red. Buy once, cry once I guess. But sometimes spending less or cheaper stuff might be the way to go when testing things out. Nothing wrong with that. I know you did the same thing by buying a cheapie ebay red dot to try out on top of your M1. But I had the Aimpoint T2 micro already. So on it went. Heck, I'll borrow stuff from family or friends if I can.

I personally think the TLR2HLG light/laser combo has a good compromise with the footprint. Especially since I wanted to try out a laser and get a good light in the process. Bonus they came together and I can decide not to use the laser if I want. It just doesn't stick out and isn't as cumbersome to me, when comparing it to something like my Sure M600P. Great light, the Sure fire but it's long and the head is as thick or so as the entire Streamlight.

Right now, I'm looking at some ideas to rig up a shell deflector. Don't get me wrong, the Corvus Defense one looks good. But I don't feel like spending $100 on it. Not when I can rig up something to slap on the gun for a couple bucks.

Could you post a couple of pics of your setup? I'm almost ready to push the button on this. It looks like a wet week coming this week(kind of dark at the range, good time to test this kind of stuff!)and I'll stick a tlr1 on the aug just to see.
The aug was planned "out of rotation" with the tavor's turn next but I think the aug will just be "spotting".

Thanks Jack
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried to mount my tlr-1 on the slant rail of my a3 but it was a no go due to the mounting screw for my StrikeFire being on the ejection port sideand I just zeroed it so I'm not up for that again.

Guess I'll go play with the Tavor and and tlr-1.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Could you post a couple of pics of your setup? I'm almost ready to push the button on this. It looks like a wet week coming this week(kind of dark at the range, good time to test this kind of stuff!)and I'll stick a tlr1 on the aug just to see.
The aug was planned "out of rotation" with the tavor's turn next but I think the aug will just be "spotting".

Thanks Jack
View Quote

Sure, I can get some up tomorrow. No pics handy right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My M17S is my primary rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My M17S is my primary rifle.
View Quote

@chibajoe
Could you post some pictures of the FCG of your m17s, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Jack.

Thanks chibajoe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@chibajoe
Could you post some pictures of the FCG of your m17s, thanks.
View Quote

The K&M M17S uses a modified AR FCG:

Attachment Attached File

M17S in its current configuration:

Attachment Attached File

Hi-Lix CMR 1-8
BCM Gunfighter short VFG
Magpul MOE-K grip
levang linear compensator
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I want one, it's just not going to happen in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Some quick and dirty pics. The remote cord/switch I'm using in the one Streamlight made for use on shotguns. It's the only one they make long enough my needs.

I have it setup on the rail section on the side of the scope housing. 20i9inch barrel FYI.

Lower rail position:

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice! Thanks Jack.
I tried to mount my tlr-1 on my a3 but it's a no go due to the thumb screw for my strike fire being in the way. Crap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Bull pup people.. How horrible are the triggers compared to a nice 4lb drop in on an AR ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bull pup people.. How horrible are the triggers compared to a nice 4lb drop in on an AR ?
View Quote

Having 30k plus downrange with various AUG's since the 80's and they feel "normal" to me. Too normal. Just picked up an X95 Tavor with the Super Sabra and Geissele bow trigger and that was so light in comparison, I removed it.

Translation: For folks used to a decent quality 4lb AR trigger, I imagine you'd find the stock AUG triggerpack horrible. The Tavor (either SAR or X95) with a Tav-D or SS and not bad at all.

I'm sure others can weigh in but the AUG despite of its trigger has been my go to for so long I rarely wade outside of it for my job but I always have been a little odd.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The K&M M17S has the best trigger of any bullpup currently in production.  Compared to your AR trigger, it will have a longer takeup and reset, but it breaks crisp and has about a 5lb pull.

Other bullpups will range from being "meh" to horrible.  The X95 would fall into the former category, while the AUG would fall into the later.  Aftermarket trigger packs are available for most bullpups, and significantly improve the triggers, but add another $200-$300 to the price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Aren't the m17s triggers adjustable?

I will be talking to Ken today and I will ask. Also, I will ask if the gas can be adjusted(at the factory so to speak)for suppressor use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some quick and dirty pics. The remote cord/switch I'm using in the one Streamlight made for use on shotguns. It's the only one they make long enough my needs.

View Quote

I know a lot of people prefer the AUG and I think they are awesome too, but this is one area where the tavor shines. Check out my light mounting...

There's no way the switch cord is catching on any kind of obstacle, it turns and goes into the hand guard immediately. Light is front loading so I can swap batteries without taking the handguard off, and there is zero bbl shadow this way either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Aren't the m17s triggers adjustable?

I will be talking to Ken today and I will ask. Also, I will ask if the gas can be adjusted(at the factory so to speak)for suppressor use.
View Quote

I think the new ones are, but ours are not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm very fond of my AUG.  It's set up for "nightstand" duty at my place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the new ones are, but ours are not.
View Quote

As in 7.62?

I really need to slow my roll and call Ken.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I sighted in my Tavor with an RDS but a day or two before I was reading up on it and saw the mod of removing the trigger return spring.

It lessened the creep but it's still long, but it was free, and this is a range toy for me, right now. I need to load a bunch more rounds  and run them before I will trust the rifle. I also need to see how I like it since it is different now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the shorter length when duck walking under/through heavy brush, and entering doorways.

After playing with it for a while, I would say the lighter weight of an AR makes more sense given the ammount of distance being covered.  But when the brush is thick or corridors are tight, I'm much happeir maneuvering the AUG.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Have an Aug but my go to gun is one of my piston ARs ....CMMG or sig 516 or maybe POF
For CQB or PDW i would take my DSA OSW. 2 ft long w 10 inch barrel and 30rds of 308 which all get me out to an effective range similar to a 16 inch bull pup.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I've gotten rid of all but one of my ARs and now rely on an AUG and a separate 9mm AUG for plinking and suppressed plinking.  Can't quite feature going back to the AR platform and would be completely out if I didn't have a SBR receiver.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#24]
My AUG A3/M1 NATO makes an ideal trunk gun.  Shorter than my 10.5"MK18 SBR but without the travel headaches. Fits in a tennis racquet bag, along with 8 mags.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top