Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2017 7:23:53 PM EDT
I've got an AUG A3 I've had for a couple years, always been a rockstar of the gunsafe, love it.  Today it started ejecting at hard 2 o'clock - strange since it always used to eject 5 o'clock or so. The regulator was in "normal" mode - not adverse.

I had it sitting in the safe in a NATO stock for a few months and hadn't shot it since winter hit.  Today it was nice so I put it back in the Steyr stock and headed out to the range.

I mostly shot Wolf gold, but after I noticed the ejection I threw in a mix of Hornady, PMC, and IMI and it was the same story with those - PMC was the closest to normal at 3 o'clock.

I took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly, put it back together correctly and still had the same problem.

Any ideas?  It was about 45F today, not that I think that would have anything to do with it.  Mods are a trigger tamer and neutrigger.

Thanks for any ideas.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
hotter ammo will cause it to eject more forward.  also can be from a weak ejector spring
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm watching some video I took back in August firing the same ammo and it's definitely over my shoulder.

I do have a Ratworx bolt, I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference, maybe that could point toward the extractor.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
my AUG has never ejected over my shoulder.  it's always ejected from 2-4 oclock
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ratworx bolt seems to have tamed it back down...making me think it's more of a weak extractor spring.  Not sure how that would just happen all of a sudden.

I know it's a proprietary extractor, but is the extractor spring proprietary as well or is it a standard AR spring?

If mine had always ejected 2-4 I'd be fine with it, just seemed like a strange change to occur when it had always been 5 o'clock.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
ejector spring, not extractor
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ejector spring, not extractor
View Quote

D'oh.  I've never actually taken my bolt down that far...I don't presume it's replaceable with an AR ejector spring?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this creating problems for you?  I generally consider anything between 2 and 5:00 ejection to be typical.  My AUG has notably different ejection patterns depending on what I feed it, but they only jam if I have a 5:00 ejection bounce off my face while left shoulder firing, and back into the action of the gun (that sucked; that whole experience sucked.).
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ratworx bolt seems to have tamed it back down...making me think it's more of a weak extractor spring.  Not sure how that would just happen all of a sudden.

I know it's a proprietary extractor, but is the extractor spring proprietary as well or is it a standard AR spring?

If mine had always ejected 2-4 I'd be fine with it, just seemed like a strange change to occur when it had always been 5 o'clock.
View Quote

It's a completely different design from the AR. Why would you even think to use AR springs or refer to it as "proprietary"?

Have you been using low velocity ammo in the past? Any steel cased stuff and PMC Bronze is loaded light.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a completely different design from the AR. Why would you even think to use AR springs or refer to it as "proprietary"? The firearms world does not revolve around Eugene Stoner.

Have you been using low velocity ammo in the past? Any steel cased stuff and PMC Bronze is loaded light. None of my 3 AUGs eject behind me.

At any rate it doesn't seem like a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top