Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2017 4:25:55 PM EDT
If Steyr were to do a new run of barrels (or to include in new guns), this is my wishlist:

1:8 twist
(yes, 1:9 works for most rounds but it's marginal with 77gr and going 1:8 would remove one of the biggest criticisms against the AUG and make it more current.  Most competition guns use this twist rate)

remove '.223' markings
(it's just confusing for many people since it's always been chambered for 5.56)

Bayonet mount attached at the factory
(because, why not?  And it's a real pain to attach after)

Go back to the original hex check nut
(the current one doesn't match the aesthetics of the AUG and basically looks like a bag of dicks)

Use the gas regulator with the suppressor setting
(Australian AUGs and the Steyr RS556 both already have a gas plug like this)

Does anyone here have the ability to whisper into the ears of the powers that be in the AUG world to make this happen?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If Steyr were to do a new run of barrels (or to include in new guns), this is my wishlist:

(yes, 1:9 works for most rounds but it's marginal with 77gr and going 1:8 would remove one of the biggest criticisms against the AUG and make it more current.  Most competition guns use this twist rate)

remove '.223' markings

(the current one doesn't match the aesthetics of the AUG and basically looks like a bag of dicks)

Does anyone here have the ability to whisper into the ears of the powers that be in the AUG world to make this happen?
View Quote
Due to the practicality of the AUG and the fact it is really most suited to a combat rifle role......I'd be fine with it remaining 1/9 because I
doubt you'll see anything above 62 grain become a "combat standard"
issue round.  I like the 1/9 twist personally because it runs 55 and 62
grain fantastically well.   If 1/8 ran 55 through 70 something as well
as 1/9 runs 55 and 62 then I'd be on board.  I am so impressed with 1/9 that I am seriously thinking of changing my goto guns to custom 1/9 Gov't Pencil Profile on both of my goto ARs

I learned a tough and expensive lesson my my Mega Ma-Ten.....I used a 1/10 JP barrel which
runs +150 grain .308+ bullets really well.  The heavier, the better.  But M80 ball
runs like CRAP through it....and anything under 149 grain gets
worse.....UNLESS it's a boat tail.  It'll shoot 147 grain boat tail
early as well as 168 grain boat tails. But there aren't any "standard", massive production 147 grain boat tails running around.  M80, on the other hand is everywhere.  I REALLLLLLY wish I had gone
with a 1/11.25 twist so that I could run lighter and moderate bullets
more accurately moreso than bowling ball rounds like 175 and up.

I totally agree they need to change that chambering label.  Colt needs to get the .223 of their lowers...but they do have a reason for that being on there as I recall.

I would LOVE to see Steyr offer 18 inch barrels again.

If they could keep a stock profile, a more flexible gas system would be nice....though mine runs everything 55 and 62 grain that is made my reputable companies just fine.

My biggest "beef" with Steyr is the M1 designation of the A3.  THAT was a mistake.  The straight A3 is the better gun designwise.  I hope they listen to the guys who run these and go BACK to the straight A3.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
1:8 is understood to be the most universal 5.56 twist rate.  It handles 40gr-80gr just fine
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

remove '.223' markings

View Quote

This all sounds perfect to me. I'd be down for a 16" with those specs for sure.

Frankly these would all be good options to just push directly to new production AUG's, and it shouldn't be too hard / add much in price.

*edit to add 1/2x28 threading!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1:8 is understood to be the most universal 5.56 twist rate.  It handles 40gr-80gr just fine
View Quote
Now THAT is good to know!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Bayo lug for sure.  Because liberal feels.

1x8, maybe?  1x9 stabilizes 77gr SMK loads in my 16", but haven't tried it in the 20" yet.  

OK to suppressor setting if it doesn't mean giving up the adverse position.

Meh to the rest.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bayo lug for sure.  Because liberal feels.

1x8, maybe?  1x9 stabilizes 77gr SMK loads in my 16", but haven't tried it in the 20" yet.  

OK to suppressor setting if it doesn't mean giving up the adverse position.

Meh to the rest.
View Quote

The suppressor setting replaces the rifle grenade setting
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned changing the thread pitch. Thought there'd be more desire for that over a bayonet lug...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
1/9 twist is fine

Original hex check nut/tulip flash hider

1/2x28 barrel threads

Oh and an additional barrel...
And finally, 300 blackout with 5/8x24 barrel threads
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#9]
13.8"
1/7 or 1/8 twist
regulator with suppressor setting
1/2-28 threaded
original hex nut & tulip
optional bayo lug pre-installed on 16/20"
5.56mm NATO marking

In order of importance. 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:28:14 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys know they had FN make some 16"(and maybe 20"?) 1/7 barrels right? It seems like they could just order more with 1/2x28 threads and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I have one of the FN CHF 1/7 16" barrels.

I want a 13.8" barrel, and will cut one down if I must. I've been patiently waiting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, I have one of the FN CHF 1/7 16" barrels.

I want a 13.8" barrel, and will cut one down if I must. I've been patiently waiting.
View Quote

why 13.8" and not 14.5" like the factory barrel?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#13]
My understanding is 13.8" is the shortest factory AUG barrel, and that's plenty long for most purposes. I'd like to leave a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
n/m.  i remembered incorrectly
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Since we are asking for barrel changes and gas block/regulator changes, I was thinking that while both would help, changing just the gas block alone would take care of a few things I'd like to see.  

Providing the gas settings people are asking for is a given.   What I'd really like to see is a completely new the gas block, a new and larger casting having a machined flat base or an accessory lug of some sort.  This would provide a place to attach a piece of rail to mount a light where it's needed.   Or maybe a bipod or sling mount.  Or whatever people want, but my point is there have been a lot of times people have wanted to do this that to their AUG and the gas block looked like a good place to do it to me.  

Now my ulterior motive behind wanting this:  Design and manufacture this new gas block here in the USA.  
In volume.
And sell them.  
That should put more AUG barrels on the market.   Give barrel makers gas blocks at a reasonable price (and availability) and those barrel makers should respond.    Start selling gas blocks and I'll bet within a week or so, there will be more aftermarket barrel choices than you can name.

EDIT/P.S.
Another need addressed.  I should have said this early on, I guess.  
When reworking the gas block, the way the excess gas is vented could be changed so it's easier for a suppressor to contain it.   It should be harder to get a finger cooked also.    Maybe the way vented gas can look like a mini flare at night will be reduced also.

Wow, I guess I would like to see some gas block changes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since we are asking for barrel changes and gas block/regulator changes, I was thinking that while both would help, changing just the gas block alone would take care of a few things I'd like to see.  

Providing the gas settings people are asking for is a given.   What I'd really like to see is a completely new the gas block, a new and larger casting having a machined flat base or an accessory lug of some sort.  This would provide a place to attach a piece of rail to mount a light where it's needed.   Or maybe a bipod or sling mount.  Or whatever people want, but my point is there have been a lot of times people have wanted to do this that to their AUG and the gas block looked like a good place to do it to me.  

Now my ulterior motive behind wanting this:  Design and manufacture this new gas block here in the USA.  
In volume.
And sell them.  
That should put more AUG barrels on the market.   Give barrel makers gas blocks at a reasonable price (and availability) and those barrel makers should respond.    Start selling gas blocks and I'll bet within a week or so, there will be more aftermarket barrel choices than you can name.

EDIT/P.S.
Another need addressed.  I should have said this early on, I guess.  
When reworking the gas block, the way the excess gas is vented could be changed so it's easier for a suppressor to contain it.   It should be harder to get a finger cooked also.    Maybe the way vented gas can look like a mini flare at night will be reduced also.

Wow, I guess I would like to see some gas block changes.
View Quote

imo, there's no where near enough of a market to justify the costs in that
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Gas blocks get really hot, so mounting things on them isn't the best idea.

For suppressed use, it would be ideal if no gas was vented outside the system, but I don't think the profit potential supports a redesign. Steyr already has a different optional regulator, so offering it to the US market would be easy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Integrally suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
1/2x28 thread pitch and suppressor setting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

remove '.223' markings

View Quote

This is a great list.  As to those who say 1/9 is fine - no it's not.  I used to say that, then I learned the hard way that a 75 gr bullet will lose it past about 450 yards in a 1/9 twist AUG.  At least, mine sure did.  I use my AUG in 3-gun style shoots, and we regularly are expected to pop gongs out to 500 yards.  that's asking a lot of 55 ball, MK262 spec ammo is what you need for that - if you want to do well.  Sure, you can walk 55's in, but it'll take effort, more capable distance estimation, and probably a few extra shots.  Heavier 62's are a no-go, since most flavors of that are steel tipped.  You can handload 69's, but 69's are basically an obsolete weight, useful only for legacy 1/9 twist barrels now (and for some reason my AUG hates Hornady 68s).  It's 2017 - change all tooling to 1/8 and don't look back.   While I'm at it, Chrome lining is growing obsolete - malonite that sucker for a much more accurate barrel.

As to suppressor setting - I agree, especially if that will still cycle a non-suppressed gun.  I've found the AUG gas settings too aggressive, and you end up with excessive recoil (from excessive BCG speed).  For a gun as heavy as the AUG, it shouldn't move around on you that much, and it slows you down on good double-taps.

Trigger - come on guys, do better.

Chambering - frankly, there is no reason to screw with 5.56 in 2017.  .223 Wylde will fire anything, and do it more accurately.  It's better for reloaders, because the long headspace of my AUG tears up my brass, and the advantages of the 5.56 sloppy chamber reliability in foul conditions, are in all practical purpose, overwhelmed by the disadvantages of the reloader experiencing more broken shells when he resizes his brass to fit all his other AR's etc.  Military reliability priority should remain paramount, but there's no reason you can't chamber a 5.56 to at least pass a .233 NoGo gage.

18" is the bomb - love mine.  18" 1/8 twist in .223 Wylde (or just less sloppy 5.56) with a bigger gas vent option (To slow bolt velocity; but should be able to retain the other options too - I think there's room for that) and a better trigger.   Malonite it too, while we're at it.

Thread pitch - sure, US standard would be nice, but I get it - it's a European military arm, and in general as little deviation from as-issued, is desirable, so I'm OK with it as it is.  All of my suggestions would benefit (in my mind at least), military as well as civilian.  

Also, the Toulup flash hider, while cool, seems like a lot of mass out there - can this be achieved better with something lighter?  

Everybody beats up on the M1 now, but personally, I think the integrated scope is cool as Hell.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
13.8"
1/7 or 1/8 twist
regulator with suppressor setting
1/2-28 threaded
original hex nut & tulip
optional bayo lug pre-installed on 16/20"
5.56mm NATO marking

In order of importance. 
View Quote
Nailed it.

Honestly,  though,  couldn't they just import a batch of suppressor gas plugs and post them on their webstore.

These Austrians seem to try to make stuff difficult.

I have always kind of suspected Rudolph Garmisch went to work for Steyr after closing out his competitive skiing career.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is a great list.  As to those who say 1/9 is fine - no it's not.  I used to say that, then I learned the hard way that a 75 gr bullet will lose it past about 450 yards in a 1/9 twist AUG.  At least, mine sure did.  I use my AUG in 3-gun style shoots, and we regularly are expected to pop gongs out to 500 yards.  that's asking a lot of 55 ball, MK262 spec ammo is what you need for that - if you want to do well.  Sure, you can walk 55's in, but it'll take effort, more capable distance estimation, and probably a few extra shots.  Heavier 62's are a no-go, since most flavors of that are steel tipped.  You can handload 69's, but 69's are basically an obsolete weight, useful only for legacy 1/9 twist barrels now (and for some reason my AUG hates Hornady 68s).  It's 2017 - change all tooling to 1/8 and don't look back.   While I'm at it, Chrome lining is growing obsolete - malonite that sucker for a much more accurate barrel.
View Quote

69gr is hardly an obsolete weight.  And there are plenty of really good factory loads that will handle 500 yds from an AUG easily...ADI/Australian Outback 69gr SMK, IMI 69gr Razorcore (full 5.56 load).

Chrome lined is still best for barrel longevity
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I would say if they made an 18" barrel with 1/2x28 . I would be happy to get one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

69gr is hardly an obsolete weight.  And there are plenty of really good factory loads that will handle 500 yds from an AUG easily...ADI/Australian Outback 69gr SMK, IMI 69gr Razorcore (full 5.56 load).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, it's still a great round - don't get me wrong.  But It's been surpassed by the 75 and 77 gr bullets.  In most cases where one would pick a 69gr, a 75 gr could do that heavier bullet role better.  Only reason to not use a 75/77 - is if the twist rate is too low to reliably stabilize the heavy.  And today you can get Hornady 75 gr bullets for almost half the price of a SMK 69.  (and yet, for some reason the Horandy 68 gr has a reputation of being crap, never could figure that one out - but have confirmed it myself, I'll say that).  Right now I can buy new brass manufactured 75 gr National Match ammo for 50 cents a round, ready to go (Trophy Ammunition Company).

I would say the 69 has an edge in that 200-300 yard distance window, where it's milder recoil gets off faster shots, and I know some High Power shooters who will pick it for that role - if the wind isn't too bad.  And on most days, the higher velocity with that BC, makes it do as good as a 75.  But once you go much past 300 yards, the 75 is just going to outperform it.  And if you're short of 200 yards, that 55 bullet is zipping along quite nicely still.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#25]
1:7 twist
hex check nut
14" and 16"
suppressor setting on gas valve
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#26]
1:7 twist rate
1/2x28 threading
14.3" and 16"
Suppressed setting / 4 position gas regulator

I don't care about the bayonet or check nut. I wouldn't use either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]
.300 Blackout with a suppressor setting instead of grenade.

Yes I know that won't happen due to KB's but with the quick change ability it would be sweet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Since I already have 16" and 20" barrels and wouldn't rebuy those lengths, I'll just ask for an 18" and 24" lengths with the 1/2x28 thread and 1:8 twist.

At least my TPD is 16", 1/2x28, and 1:8 already.  I'll start the bidding at [dr.evil]ONE MILLION DOLLARS[/dr.evil].

Suppressor gas plugs would be nice.  I'd probably replace them on every barrel as long as they weren't priced crazy.

The check nuts can go die in a fire.  Bayonet lug is a nice to have, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, since AUG bayonets are rarer than hen's teeth and I use suppressor mounts that preclude attaching stabby-things anway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd like 1/2x28 muzzle threads and a suppressed gas plug position.  I'm not that worried about changing anything else, but those two would be *really* nice to have.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The check nuts can go die in a fire.  Bayonet lug is a nice to have, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, since AUG bayonets are rarer than hen's teeth and I use suppressor mounts that preclude attaching stabby-things anway.
View Quote

any NATO bayonet will fit, doesn't have to be AUG specific
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]
14 or 16 inch extra light profile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top