Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 7:20:12 PM EDT
Has anyone tried the Magpul D60 drum magazine on a NATO AUG yet?

Curious on the clearance and balance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen the X-Products 50 round, x-50 drum mag work.

I don't know about the Magpul one. I personally just don't care about running a drum mag in an AUG. Or most rifles/carbines for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Not even a 24" barreled AUG with a bipod?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not even a 24" barreled AUG with a bipod?
View Quote

Well,OK. I do have an 24" with a bipod. The cost of a drum is to much for how much fun I might get out of a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Magpul D60 drum magazine on a NATO AUG yet?

Curious on the clearance and balance.
View Quote

I have. It is awkward but doable. You have to rotate your wrist out to clear and it doesn't sit right across your chest. I would prefer the Surefire 60s if they worked 100% or 40rd pmags for a general carbine role. On a LMG clone it would be fine firing from the bipod and they are much shorter which is a plus.

I bought my NATO stock separate and they need fitting and some wear in so it might just be me, but I've had the BHO not work on certain mags including the D60 and older pmags. I haven't shot that stock very much so small sample size and all YMMV, but no real malfunctions.

Edit: Thinking about it dropping the mag is much harder with the drum. I only have 16" barrels, but they would balance better with the 20" or 24". The balance doesn't matter as much as a non-bullpup though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#5]
So at least holding my AUG, my right forearm is only about 1/8" away from my straight magazine. I think with the width of the D60, it would be uncomfortable to shoot.

I think a better option would the MWG 90rd Snail Drum

The reason is that this drum, while bulky, only extends on the left hand side of the weapon, so it won't interfere with your right shooting forearm.

And at least for me (6' tall, medium shirt) when holding the AUG, I have the necessary 7-8" of space along my left side along the mag to (at least in theory) fit the drum. I do not yet have a NATO stock to test it on, but this was my planned mag to use if I end up building a NATO HBAR gun.

The other benefit of course is that it holds 90 rounds instead of 60, and its clear back allows you to easily keep track of how many rounds you have left.

It also seems to be pretty reliable.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Great feedback guys. Those are things I've been wondering.

And I have also tried the Surefire 60rd mags, 2 of them, and they are not reliable in my 3 AR's or the SCAR.
Wish they worked.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Drum mags don't work so well with bullpup guns. The beta mag for the AUG was a failure.

I know someone with one that he uses on his AUG MG. It's ridiculous how you need to contort yourself to fire the gun.

The 90rd drum that protrudes to the left would probably work, everything else is not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
42rds is a lot of ammo and you already know that you have reliability with the factory magazines. Why not stay with a known good product?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
42rds is a lot of ammo and you already know that you have reliability with the factory magazines. Why not stay with a known good product?
View Quote

I usually use just the 30rd mags.
However, recently picked up a NATO stock and thought the Magpul drum would be the smallest and could actually be useable on a bullpup.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have also tried the Surefire 60rd mags, 2 of them, and they are not reliable in my 3 AR's or the SCAR.
Wish they worked.
View Quote

Do you still have the Surefire 60rd mags? If so I'd give them a try in the AUG just for the sake of thoroughness before buying a $100 drum.

If they are still unreliable, I'd contact SF, I think they may have a Gen 2 mag? They'd likely return or replace them if they failed in 3 AR's, an AUG and a SCAR.

That being said, the real question is, what do you plan to use the drum/NATO stock for? More for "serious defensive use," or more for fun / nice to have / theoretical breakdown of society leading to a state of Hobbesian Anarchy?

For the latter, I totally get the appeal- I recently snagged a 24" barrel to build a HBAR LSW for plinking / forming a theoretical SHTF strongpoint at the gates of my gated community. I'll likely end up getting the NATO stock and 90rd snail drum just to complete this fantasy build. Masturbatory consumerism at its finest

But for actual "serious use," it's really hard to beat the AUG 42rd mags, or Magpul 40rd mags for the NATO stock. The 42rd mags still offer 40% more ammo then a 30rd, fits easily into any AK magazine pouch, and are clear so you can keep track of rounds.

The drum does offer 18 more rounds, but the penalty is that it weighs nearly 2x as much. The D60 is 20oz Unloaded, 44.4oz loaded; a 42rd Loaded AUG mag weighs 23oz, and a loaded Magpul 40 weighs 22.6oz. And the mag is solid black, so you can't keep track of how many rounds have been fired. For the weight, at least in an AR or SCAR, I'd rather have 2x40rd mags clamped together over the D60.

If you're going to go with the bulk and weight of a drum, I think it should hold 75-100rds.

TL;DR: Try to get the Surefire 60rds to work, and if they don't, stick with either 40 round mags or the 90rd drum over the D60.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I usually use just the 30rd mags.
However, recently picked up a NATO stock and thought the Magpul drum would be the smallest and could actually be useable on a bullpup.
View Quote

I have not shot an AUG, but I've shot a x95 with a D60 and it is useable, but it's not comfortable because of how it pushes against your forearm/elbow and how it changes your wrist angle on the grip.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried the Beta C Mag double drum on an old Steyr Aug I had and it works, but, is very uncomfortable to wrap your strong arm around that double drum. I now have a Steyr Aug A3 that I purchased a Nato stock for and it works very well with my X Products drums and I more recently got a few MagPul D60 drums and they work fine as well. These drums work well for me. I won't be getting another Beta C Mag, though. Too big and it is a lot more delicate than the X Products or the MagPul drums. I once dropped the Beta C Mag drum on a concrete floor by accident and the plastic back cracked. It's very thin and flimsy. Almost forgot, the clearance and balance of the MagPul D60 is fine. I have no complaints. It's a tad larger than the  X Products drum, but, still not bad to handle. Stay away from Beta C Mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top