Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2017 6:50:42 PM EDT
Anyways, I know different barrel lengths are better for different scenarios. But what do you like the best overall?

Me, I'm a 20 inch guy myself. Kinda the best of both worlds. In an AUG a 20 inch barrel is still short enough to pretty easily wander around the house or car with. It's still 2 inches or more shorter than your average 16 inch barreled rifle, depending on adjustable buttstock position(I tend to run an average 4 position stock in the second position(one click out). And you still get the added velocity out of the little longer barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an A1 with a 20. Had the A3 with a 16. I like 20 better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As short as I can get! Currently that's 16" but I'd love to have a 13.8 or 14" barrel.
If you change your poll to not imply I already have one, I'll change my vote to 13.8" 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I voted 16"  because that's what I have.

I'd like to have an 18 or 20 so I could have it threaded for a SiCo mount.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As short as I can get! Currently that's 16" but I'd love to have a 13.8 or 14" barrel.
If you change your poll to not imply I already have one, I'll change my vote to 13.8" 
View Quote

if you go that short, then you have to SBR it
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Not if it's got a registered pack installed. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a lucky bastard...

I don't get the point of a bullpup with a long barrel. Although, it's probably because I don't get the point of long barrels in general.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I debated on the subject for a long time, opted with the 16". At this size the AUG is the same OAL as a Krinkov, and just fits into a tennis racket case. At 3,000 ft/s from a 16" barrel, the 62gr Fusion is still expanding out to 475 yards.

I figured that for the times I need more velocity then the 16", I'd be best off with a Bipod equipped 24" for maximum velocity. At 3200 ft/s you extend the 1700fps expansion zone about 100 yards according to the ballistic calculator.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:36:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm a lucky bastard...

http://hkbeltfed.com/imgs/marvinaug.jpg

I don't get the point of a bullpup with a long barrel. Although, it's probably because I don't get the point of long barrels in general.
View Quote

Very nice you lucky bastard.

I think the point of a bullpup with a longer barrel is you still get a compact package, but you also get maximum terminal ballistics with ammunition. A rifle and carbine in one package Of course that may not matter as much (or at all) with advancements in ammunition. Countries still running AUG's in their military and police forces still tend to use 20 inch barrels mostly, if it matters much. Australia, with their updated EF88 Austeyr, is issuing mainly 20inch models to their troopers. Austria still uses 20inch models. Except their special forces, the Jagdkommando and Eko Cobra use a 16inch model. The Irish recently updated their A1 AUGs to the A3 standard. Most troops get 20inch AUGs. But some mechanized troops, get a 16'' version.

But hey, I like 16" AUGs. But always fancied 20" when I could get 'em. :D
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both the 20" and 16" barrels, but prefer the 16".  Compactness is why I got the AUG in the first place.  I like the idea of something that is as compact as my 10" AR SBR, but has a "travel-friendly" barrel.  Granted, the 20" barrel still makes for a compact package, but for me, it comes down to "why" since it is 1/9 twist anyway.  Better velocity with low horsepower projectiles is good, but not ideal when you have other choices.  Speer 64gr soft points with the 16" barrel is about as good as it gets from a 1/9 barrel.  Should a 1/7 20" barrel, become available again, then it is more viable IMO, but a 1/7 16" barrel becomes a weighted argument against it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have both the 20" and 16" barrels, but prefer the 16".  Compactness is why I got the AUG in the first place.  I like the idea of something that is as compact as my 10" AR SBR, but has a "travel-friendly" barrel.  Granted, the 20" barrel still makes for a compact package, but for me, it comes down to "why" since it is 1/9 twist anyway.  Better velocity with low horsepower projectiles is good, but not ideal when you have other choices.  Speer 64gr soft points with the 16" barrel is about as good as it gets from a 1/9 barrel.  Should a 1/7 20" barrel, become available again, then it is more viable IMO, but a 1/7 16" barrel becomes a weighted argument against it.
View Quote

69gr works perfectly in a 1:9 barrel to.  Hell, 62gr M855 is longer than the 69gr SMK and it works good too.  I've fired lots of 77gr SMKs from a 20" 1:9 AUG and they worked fine too out to 200 yds, but the 69gr gave better groups

my ideal AUG barrel would be 1:8 though
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

69gr works perfectly in a 1:9 barrel to.  Hell, 62gr M855 is longer than the 69gr SMK and it works good too.  I've fired lots of 77gr SMKs from a 20" 1:9 AUG and they worked fine too out to 200 yds, but the 69gr gave better groups

my ideal AUG barrel would be 1:8 though
View Quote

The SMK 77 isn't designed for 200 yards and in (it does work well a shorter distances though).  For a 77gr SMK load, you can add 500 yards to that with a 1/7 (or 1/8) barrel.  The extra velocity afforded by a 20" barrel is wasted with a 1/9 twist since that velocity would be useful for longer ranges; but the twist rate isn't ideal to stabilize 75+ gr projectiles made for longer ranges with it.  The AUG is inherently an accurate design, but current barrel choices betray this potential to really stretch its legs.  

A 1/8 barrel would be very nice and would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a A1 AUG, with the original 20" barrel, and a 16" barrel. That 16" barrel really makes for a short weapon.

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
As others have already said, the beauty of a Bullpup is its OAL. I maximize this feature by using a 16 inch barrel (A3M1 with long rail and T1).  Very short yet travel ready. Having said that, I would readily  buy a stamp and get a 13.4 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think the point of a bullpup with a longer barrel is you still get a compact package, but you also get maximum terminal ballistics with ammunition. A rifle and carbine in one package Of course that may not matter as much (or at all) with advancements in ammunition. Countries still running AUG's in their military and police forces still tend to use 20 inch barrels mostly, if it matters much. Australia, with their updated EF88 Austeyr, is issuing mainly 20inch models to their troopers. Austria still uses 20inch models. Except their special forces, the Jagdkommando and Eko Cobra use a 16inch model. The Irish recently updated their A1 AUGs to the A3 standard. Most troops get 20inch AUGs. But some mechanized troops, get a 16'' version.

But hey, I like 16" AUGs. But always fancied 20" when I could get 'em. :D
View Quote
This is pretty much my take on it.  When I realized that my 16 inch AUG was 4 inches shorter than my 6320 clone WITH THE STOCK COLLAPSED.....I figured, "Hey, why waste that 4 inches if I can push terminal velocity in a package that, with a 20 inch barrel, is 4 inches shorter with the stock in user mode?"  I have the velocity potential of my 20 inch A1 or A2 rifle...but I don't have to futz with anything.  The practical accuracy of my AUG with an AIMPOINT clone ( Sig Romeo 7 ) is near to that of my A2 Delta HBar clone with a 12 power Zeiss scope.  If I put a good powered, variable optic on my AUG...I have nearly the same accuracy as my Scoped HBar clone ( it's actually a Gov't profile barrel...but it's a damn good barrel ) but its MUCH smaller than my A2 and there's no worries about collapsing or not collapsing the stock.  It just is what it is.

A 16 inch AUG is an awesome little machine.....but that 20 inch barrel REALLLY gives it a life of it's own.

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#15]
For those that like the long barrels and assuming you're not in the military, do any of you shoot anything that's alive at those long distances or is it just having more confidence that with the right ammo that you could with better results? If it's the former, how's it working and what are you shooting? If it's the latter, is this mental scenario with a person shooting back? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I have literature from the Steyr factory that states that the 16 inch barrel is the most accurate.  I've personally found this to be the case.

This would be an easy troll but I promise it is not.

I'll try to dig it up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have literature from the Steyr factory that states that the 16 inch barrel is the most accurate.  I've personally found this to be the case.

This would be an easy troll but I promise it is not.

I'll try to dig it up.
View Quote
As the technical aspects go, shorter barrels are generally more accurate.  I'm in it for the ballistic edge.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I go with the everything suppressed idea so I like the 16" barrel with a can.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I voted 16 but am still hoping to see a run of 13.8" with pinned flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#20]
PJs said they were working on a 14" with integral flash hider, but that was years ago. Nothing yet as far as I'm aware.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#21]
How about a run of barrels with standard 1/2x28?  I don't care what length.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Where is the option for multiple?  I have the 24", 20", 16", and 13.8".  My  fav is the standard 20" though.  Guess I'm a lucky bastard, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top