Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 10:41:53 AM EDT
This is what the gun looks like without cleaning after 1000rds of Tula/Wolf and 120 or so rounds of brass. Paper towel is just the wipe-down after hitting it with a brush to break it loose.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
When I say there was no cleaning, I mean none. No oil, and I did not use a chamber brush on the gun. I just wanted to run it as dirty as possible and see how many failures I'd get until I hit 1k rounds. I didn't have to touch the gas setting either.

I had 0 weapon related malfunctions but 3 ammo related failures. 2 duds and one torn case rim resulting in a FTE. To rule out light strikes on the two duds, I ran them through an AR. Still no go. The torn rim occurred around the 500rd mark. Figured dirty steel had finally gummed up the chamber and cleaning was in order. Dropped the rod down the barrel and it fell right out. No other damage or buildup on the case. Put another mag though with no problems. Assumed fault with the round at the time. Since I was able to finish my 1000+ without another FTE, I'm ruling fault of that particular Tula round.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
NICE!!!  If it runs that good with shit ammo.....you'll be golden with anything with even a modicum of QC.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  Is it pretty easy to field strip and clean?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
when are they going to make more than 1 gun??
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NICE!!!  If it runs that good with shit ammo.....you'll be golden with anything with even a modicum of QC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm actually pretty damn impressed with the new Tula. I haven't accuracy tested yet, but I've nearly shot a case of it and only had three failures. That's not bad for $.0.20 a round. I'm going to put some glass on the gun and shoot some groups next time I make it to the outdoor range. Gotta see what this gun can do with both Tula and quality ammo.

Quoted:
Nice!  Is it pretty easy to field strip and clean?

So easy. It takes seconds.

----------------------------------------------

Also, adding this post from another thread:
Quoted:
The screws that hold the polymer cheek rest on the dust cover have shot loose. No threadlock present. I got lucky and noticed a screw sitting on the ground while packing up. When I got home I noticed 3 of the 4 screws were missing. Might be worth you guys checking your guns to make sure they are tight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I only have a hundred or so rounds through mine,  but if it continues to run,  it will be my new favorite. 

Very imressed so far.

Lightest pup out there,  decent trigger, adjustable gas, no brass into my chops from either side.

The only drawback so far is it looks like malfunction clearance is even wonkier than on my FS2000.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have a hundred or so rounds through mine,  but if it continues to run,  it will be my new favorite. 

Very imressed so far.

Lightest pup out there,  decent trigger, adjustable gas, no brass into my chops from either side.

The only drawback so far is it looks like malfunction clearance is even wonkier than on my FS2000.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very imressed so far.

View Quote
 I dont think impingement is possible with this gun.  I have induced malfunctions like a double feed, triple feed ( all i could get to happen) and it clears out very easily no disassembly required
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I say there was no cleaning, I mean none. No oil, and I did not use a chamber brush on the gun. I just wanted to run it as dirty as possible and see how many failures I'd get until I hit 1k rounds. I didn't have to touch the gas setting either.

I had 0 weapon related malfunctions but 3 ammo related failures. 2 duds and one torn case rim resulting in a FTE. To rule out light strikes on the two duds, I ran them through an AR. Still no go. The torn rim occurred around the 500rd mark. Figured dirty steel had finally gummed up the chamber and cleaning was in order. Dropped the rod down the barrel and it fell right out. No other damage or buildup on the case. Put another mag though with no problems. Assumed fault with the round at the time. Since I was able to finish my 1000+ without another FTE, I'm ruling fault of that particular Tula round.
View Quote
Nice Th0r,  I have run over 2 k in mine ( about 1/4 suppressed) with no more than a few drops of lube...but the cheapest ammo I use is A.E varmint tipped...so that may be a factor.  I have shot almost all the other bullpups and the RDB puts them all to shame in almost categories.  Even cost
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 I dont think impingement is possible with this gun.  I have induced malfunctions like a double feed, triple feed ( all i could get to happen) and it clears out very easily no disassembly required
View Quote

It clears so easily because the action has enough travel to accommodate 2 rounds back to back. I've tried to make it jam. Hell I've purposely dumped loose rounds in the action, seated a mag on top and half cycled to cram them up.  Still, a mag drop plus full rack and some shaking still causes everything fell out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It clears so easily because the action has enough travel to accommodate 2 rounds back to back. I've tried to make it jam. Hell I've purposely dumped loose rounds in the action, seated a mag on top and half cycled to cram them up.  Still, a mag drop plus full rack and some shaking still causes everything fell out.
View Quote
Yep. my findings exactly.  Most people I show the gun to refuse to believe what I tell them about it....they cant get past ..."but its a Keltec"...i personally think its a huge waste of cash to go with an AUG FS2000 or an IWI offering if you are only going to have one Bullpup.  RDB simply outclasses the rest in a few key areas and does everything else just as well or better
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm loving my RDB.  I wish they had made it to accept standard AR grips, but a Handall sleeve makes it lots better.  The trigger is astoundingly nice.  I do wish that there was a brass catcher for it.  I just hate it when they hit the dirt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had similar FTE problems with steel in all my rifles,  it's just cheap ??. It's good to know because I'm really thinking about the RDB... Yeah an x95 to go with my Tavor would be nice... I'm just going back and forth. If I can pick an RDB up for around 1k I might take it and just buy 3k of some good brass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got way over 2k rounds on mine, mostly with the hard primer golden tiger ammo thay was on sale for $159 per 1k. At 2000 rounds it started malfunctioning, come to find out one of my buddies had screwed with the gas settings. I do have to say I would never field a weapon in a serious application that was so easy to accidentally change the gas on. The detents need to be much stronger and it needs to be numbered so you can visually check your settings. Also mine will not function with Colt mags but works great with all other gi and polymer mags. Accuracy is acceptable at around 1.5 moa with good 62-64 gr. duty ammo. 55gr. Will do 3 to 6 moa depending on quality.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Very imressed so far.

View Quote

What would you say is the number one selling point of this gun?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]
i just got a 300bo pistol thinking id wait a generation or 2 to on the rdb to get out the kinks, maybe i'll rethink that for getting one sooner?!  def gonna run with a can.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll just chime in here seeing as I haven't updated my own thread in a while. My RDB has continued to be flawless. As I stated in my review the only issues I ever had were the first two rounds of steel cased ammo. Clearing those Malfs was no issue what so ever and doing clearance drills etc is easy. I have been blown away by the RDB. Is it the most solid feeling thing ever? Nope but it's done everything I've asked of it any more.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Compact, light and cheap for a bullpup.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What would you say is the number one selling point of this gun?
View Quote
For me, the weight.

Im a bullpup fan.  I own the threr majors; FS2000, AUG, Tavor, and now the RDB.

The RDB shaves at least a pound off the others.   By the time I add a light. IR laser, and optic, that pound becomes significant to me. 

It also,  is just a more refined execution.   It has an acceptable trigger out of the box. It doesn't draw blood with brass to your teeth, the HOB is close to an AR, adjustable gas,  etc.

If somebody would do a aftermarket handguard. I bet there could be a little weight savings there,  as well.

ETA:  Having standard for USA muzzle threads,  is also nice. 

Its downside is that it's a Kel-Tec, with all that the name implies.   For that reason alone,  if I were going to bet my life on a bullpup, like you,  I'm grabbing my AUG.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Where are they all at though? None of the usual retailers have them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For me, the weight.

Im a bullpup fan.  I own the threr majors; FS2000, AUG, Tavor, and now the RDB.

The RDB shaves at least a pound off the others.   By the time I add a light. IR laser, and optic, that pound becomes significant to me. 

It also,  is just a more refined execution.   It has an acceptable trigger out of the box. It doesn't draw blood with brass to your teeth, the HOB is close to an AR, adjustable gas,  etc.

If somebody would do a aftermarket handguard. I bet there could be a little weight savings there,  as well.

ETA:  Having standard for USA muzzle threads,  is also nice. 

Its downside is that it's a Kel-Tec, with all that the name implies.   For that reason alone,  if I were going to bet my life on a bullpup, like you,  I'm grabbing my AUG.
View Quote

I have had the FS2000 , the Aug...and have shot the tavor on a few occasions and i come away with a different conclusion.  The RDB is AK simple in operation and execution. It runs clean. Its as least as reliable as any other bullpup...its lighter...it suppresses MUCH better. Its 100% ambidextrous. its lighter and has a much better trigger.  Its not perfect...I would prefer a heavier profile barrel with 1.25 inches less length and stronger detents on the gas knob, better availability ....but besides those things the RDB does everything better than my AUG or FS2000 or the Tavor at a much lower price.

I'm over 4 k rounds into my RDB with  not a single hitchand and I run it suppressed alot. Would I trust it in a SHTF scenario...yep ...no problem at all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
an LGS has an RDB for $967 on the shelf right now...seeing as I paid $1500 for mine and I said in my review that one for less than $1k is a steal i'd be a fool not to recommend it. Having said that for a trust my life on it bullpup I still take my tavor but the RDB has given me no reason not to trust it plus the weight reduction means after a day of humping it around the woods vs. the tavor I certainly appreciate how lightweight it is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you can find a store that will order one you should be able to get one for under a grand within a couple months.
A lot of new bullpups from DT and IWI will be out soon and probably ease the supply and demand issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you can find a store that will order one you should be able to get one for under a grand within a couple months.
A lot of new bullpups from DT and IWI will be out soon and probably ease the supply and demand issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shops I've talked to say that they can't order one. I'm on a list at grabagun and a few others.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I love mine. With the Omega it is even more awesome to shoot. Here it is next to my 10.5 SBR.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have had the FS2000 , the Aug...and have shot the tavor on a few occasions and i come away with a different conclusion.  The RDB is AK simple in operation and execution. It runs clean. Its as least as reliable as any other bullpup...its lighter...it suppresses MUCH better. Its 100% ambidextrous. its lighter and has a much better trigger.  Its not perfect...I would prefer a heavier profile barrel with 1.25 inches less length and stronger detents on the gas knob, better availability ....but besides those things the RDB does everything better than my AUG or FS2000 or the Tavor at a much lower price.

I'm over 4 k rounds into my RDB with  not a single hitchand and I run it suppressed alot. Would I trust it in a SHTF scenario...yep ...no problem at all.
View Quote

I agree with just about everything you said.

That said, where can I get a spare piston, cam pin, recoil spring, etc.  The AUG is heavier, but I can source (and have) sourced just about any part I would need to keep it running without making a phone call, or sending my rifle off for weeks at a time.

I hope I'm where you are after I have 5K rounds through the RDB, because I agree, it is a better design by far.  However, for the reasons stated above, my AUG will continue to lean against the wall next to my bed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#27]
i have heard if you go to keltecs website or call them they will let you order parts on the fly

Quoted:

That said, where can I get a spare piston, cam pin, recoil spring, etc.  The AUG is heavier, but I can source (and have) sourced just about any part I would need to keep it running without making a phone call, or sending my rifle off for weeks at a time.

I hope I'm where you are after I have 5K rounds through the RDB, because I agree, it is a better design by far.  However, for the reasons stated above, my AUG will continue to lean against the wall next to my bed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I saw on another thread they have a new lighter mlok handguard coming out, and also testing 300BO version?  I'll wait a bit for production ramp and a gen or 2 to iron out early kinks but RDB is on my list.  I think the RDB could have some very big sales, leading to a nice aftermarket.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, just call them and they will sell or give you parts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, just call them and they will sell or give you parts.
View Quote

I actually tried that to get a new handguard so I could cut up my old one... I even offered to drive down and pick it up. They told me all parts were going towards production guns and they wouldn't sell me anything. Not saying that it's a bad business decision for them to do that just reporting what I was told.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
 yep good call, i put replacement part under the availability column.  I had 2 parts replacement kits for my AUG and an extra trigger pack...would love to have the same for the RDB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top