Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2017 6:17:51 PM EDT
I know there are a lot of MSAR haters out there but I thought I would post this anyway.  About 7 years ago I picked up a new MSAR E4.  I have shot the $hit out of it and it is still running 100% just like the day I bought it.  I have taken it to two multi day classes without issue and used it for about two years every month at my local 3-Gun Matches.  I was fortunate enough to get one of the 2020 Precision Hammer Packs that uses AR15 parts and springs.  It has a super smooth 2.5 lb. trigger pull with about 1/32" take up and no over travel.  I added one of Manticore's Raptor scope mounts (now holding a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X) and Inforce 400 lumen light.  I also added a low profile aluminum charging handle but can't remember who makes it.  Got bored one day and decided to have the barrel cut down to 13" and have a Noveske Flaming Pig (had it laying around) muzzle device blind pinned on.  Now the OAL with muzzle device is 16 1/8" and is a plus because it directs all of the muzzle blast down range.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
So how many rounds do you have through it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

I really like my MSAR E4 as well.  It must have been made on a good day for them - it works well, and even the factory 1.5x optic works fine - the daily double of good QC.

They made some excellent rifles till the end, when they crapped out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice, I still have high hopes someone will pick up the old tooling for cheap and start making replacement parts.... group buy anyone
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Gen 3 and my brother in law has a Gen 3. Never been a problem with either one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, I still have high hopes someone will pick up the old tooling for cheap and start making replacement parts.... group buy anyone
View Quote

I agree.  Not sure how many parts were actually made my microtech though, I would think a lot of them were subbed out and I'm sure if you knew who made them they would be more than happy to make up a batch - for a price.

I have an OD gen IV and after a bolt sleeve let go, fixed under warranty, it has been problem free for at least 5K rounds.  Shot it hard to make sure it wouldnt blow up again but now that there are no parts around its just an occasional shooter.  

I have some spare springs, extractors and the ratworx cocking piece and bolt sleeve.  But my main worry is the barrel, pretty much when its worn out it will be a paperweight or parts gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 20" E4 and the only problem I had was with the crappy plastic mag release.   They fixed it at the factory and no problems since then.

I sure wish I could get a better trigger.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up an E4 from a member here about 2 years ago. A little over 1000 rounds  without a hitch. Was lucky and bought a bunch of spare parts , including 2 extra hammer packs. Now all we need is a source for reasonably priced barrels.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish MSAR and TPD had not given up on their clones.

The MSAR is what sort of started my to thinking about bullpups.....

I helped a buddy tech one out after it went back to the factory once or twice.  I noticed the only real issues with the gun were more of engineering issues than quality of build.

The MSARs I handled were really nice once the bugs were ironed out of each one.  Mind you, it's been a while but it seemed to me, IIRC it was gas and either extraction or feeding issues.  In each case the problem was successfully resolved at the factory.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an E4 years back and it was a great rifle. Reliable, reasonably accurate, comfortable, and fun to shoot. Like most of my old collection, it got sold to help make ends meet when I was unemployed, but it did kick off my love for bullpup. I had sold it fairly early on because MSAR had gone under and I was worried about parts if it ever cropped the bed. When I started working again and began my new collection I bought an AUG A3 to replace it and my love for the AUG platform continues. I think the AUG is arguably the finest 5.56mm combat rifle in the world.

Edit: I remember someone was working on an integrally suppressed barrel for them, either MSAR themselves or one of the aftermarket companies. I think the project finally died, but I'd love to see someone pick it back up for the AUG. An integrally suppressed AUG barrel from someone like SilencerCo, OSS, or one of the other better can manufacturers would be amazing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 20" that had the e4 upgrade, with factory optic. It's had about 3,000 rounds thought it without issue. I lucked into a few spare parts deals so I'm set there (including a spare barrel). I wish Ratworx would have followed through doing another run of bolts. I also wish I could have gotten the 20/20 trigger pack. One of my favorite rifles to shoot and I'm too deep into it $$ wise to move to an AUG.... total shame the company dropped the ball.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 20" that had the e4 upgrade, with factory optic. It's had about 3,000 rounds thought it without issue. I lucked into a few spare parts deals so I'm set there (including a spare barrel). I wish Ratworx would have followed through doing another run of bolts. I also wish I could have gotten the 20/20 trigger pack. One of my favorite rifles to shoot and I'm too deep into it $ wise to move to an AUG.... total shame the company dropped the ball.
View Quote
I need to get mine out and down to the gunsmith, fucked up and didn't get the mag release fix done because mine didn't "need it" then. Does now.  What is it? A leaf spring? Can't be that hard to replicate for a real g'smith...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top