Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2017 11:30:30 PM EDT
20 round P-Mags.

Heck...20 round AUG mags would be nice.

They're just trying to force me to buy a NATO stock, aren't they?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
20rd mags? I bought my Nato stock to be able to use MagPul D60 60rd drum magazines, X Product's 50 rd drum magazines, and Surefire 60 rd magazines. It's too bad Steyr doesn't make any drum magazines for the regular Aug.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
There's always the Beta C. 

OP, you might try the MSAR STG-556 20rd mags. They will fit an AUG, and the locking tabs can be sanded so it inserts a little better. They aren't as good as real AUG mags though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah with the 30 round mags, you actually get a very stable firing platform - the 30 rd mag serves as a rear monopod, while you slide your hand slightly down the vertical foregrip until it touches the ground, serving as a front monopod.

Referred to as "The Bullpup Prone Position."
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
What it really needs to lose is a pound and a half....
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What it really needs to lose is a pound and a half....
View Quote
LOL...not gonna argue with that...as much as I love mine.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
between the receiver and the bolt carrier, Steyr could easily find a pound of weight to remove
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It really needs a 3 position piston- regular, adverse, and suppressed keeping any flash or pop from being exposed at the front there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It really needs a 3 position piston- regular, adverse, and suppressed keeping any flash or pop from being exposed at the front there.
View Quote
Australian AUG's have that.  And the new Steyr-Rheinmettal rifle with the AUG barrel and gas system has a 4 position gas regulator (normal, adverse, suppressor, grenade)

The suppressor setting works by venting more gas through the vent hole and reducing back-pressure, so I don't think it would do what you want
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL...not gonna argue with that...as much as I love mine.....
View Quote
Yep.  I like my AUG a lot, but I just picked up an RDB to play with, and weight, and feature wise, it really exposes the AUG as somewhat dated.  Granted, I fully understand that it's a KelTec, and might fall apart tomorrow, but while it is running, it is a defenite improvement in trigger, gas control, ejection, and weight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
between the receiver and the bolt carrier, Steyr could easily find a pound of weight to remove
View Quote

You'd think that, but the new Thales F90 has a fully skeletonized receiver that is partially made of plastic, as well as a fluted barrel and no quick change barrel feature.

16" F90 (7.13lbs) vs 16" AUG A3 M1 w/ High Rail (7.8lbs) - 0.65lbs / 10.4oz's saved.

I'd personally rather retain the absurdly strong aluminum/steel reinforced receiver, Machine Gun Thick barrel, and quick change barrel features for 10.4oz's extra.

Really, the AUG is surprisingly light given how overbuilt it is.

When you compare the AUG to the F2000, which is a) almost entirely plastic except for it's bolt group and barrel and b) uses a very thin pencil barrel, the F2000 is still 7.5lbs - only 4.8oz's lighter.

The Tavor X95, which also has a pencil profile barrel, is 2" shorter, and has a much less substantial receiver, is 7.9lbs - 1.6oz's heavier then the Aug M3 A1 w/ Rail.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Australian AUG's have that.  And the new Steyr-Rheinmettal rifle with the AUG barrel and gas system has a 4 position gas regulator (normal, adverse, suppressor, grenade)

The suppressor setting works by venting more gas through the vent hole and reducing back-pressure, so I don't think it would do what you want
View Quote

I am thinking something that shrouds the plug in someway to hide the flash. Maybe it could be a re-designed plug with built in shroud. Seems possible. The larger port on a suppressed setting should already reduce the pop if not entirely.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah with the 30 round mags, you actually get a very stable firing platform - the 30 rd mag serves as a rear monopod, while you slide your hand slightly down the vertical foregrip until it touches the ground, serving as a front monopod.

Referred to as "The Bullpup Prone Position."
View Quote

Awesome pic and concept! Going to try that next time I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'd think that, but the new Thales F90 has a fully skeletonized receiver that is partially made of plastic, as well as a fluted barrel and no quick change barrel feature.

16" F90 (7.13lbs) vs 16" AUG A3 M1 w/ High Rail (7.8lbs) - 0.65lbs / 10.4oz's saved.

I'd personally rather retain the absurdly strong aluminum/steel reinforced receiver, Machine Gun Thick barrel, and quick change barrel features for 10.4oz's extra.

When you compare the AUG to the F2000, which is a) almost entirely plastic except for it's bolt group and barrel and b) uses a very thin pencil barrel, the F2000 is still 7.5lbs - only 4.8oz's lighter.

The Tavor X95, which also has a pencil profile barrel, is 2" shorter, and has a much less substantial receiver, is 7.9lbs - 1.6oz's heavier then the Aug M3 A1 w/ Rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....well said!!
I have been wondering the weight differences between the new F90 -V- AUG ..(minimal)
At this point seems to be a manufacturer cost savings initiative, versus a perceived upgrade or improvement..

I agree in that the AUG is intentionally over-engineered.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

....well said!!
I have been wondering the weight differences between the new F90 -V- AUG ..(minimal)
At this point seems to be a manufacturer cost savings initiative, versus a perceived upgrade or improvement..

I agree in that the AUG is intentionally over-engineered.
View Quote

I will say though that the F90 has the slickest grenade launcher implementation of any rifle out there:

If they could retain the quick change barrel with this GL-40 integration it would be perfect IMO.

I plan on checking the F90 out at SHOT and comparing it to the AUG - will report back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The weight comparison of the F90 really needs to be made with the Australian F88SA2 and not the AUG A3M1.  The F90M is 1.2 lbs lighter than the F88SA2 (both with 20" barrels).

The question I've been trying to answer for a long time is why the A3 is so much heavier than the A1/A2 models.  A 16" A2 (with built in optic) weighs 7.3 lbs while a 16" A3M1 with rails and no optic weighs 7.8 lbs.  Is the extra weight all in the rails?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The A3 type receiver is considerably overbuilt compared to the A1/A2/SR receivers. Then you add two rails to it and without optics you've already lost the weight battle before it began.

By far, the AUG I prefer over all others is a 16" A1. I have one with A3 stock, 1/7 barrel, Australian optic tube, and 2020 TSM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The A3 type receiver is considerably overbuilt compared to the A1/A2/SR receivers. Then you add two rails to it and without optics you've already lost the weight battle before it began.

By far, the AUG I prefer over all others is a 16" A1. I have one with A3 stock, 1/7 barrel, Australian optic tube, and 2020 TSM.
View Quote

does the bolt release on the A3 stock work on the A1/A2 without modification?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#18]
You have to swap hammerpacks to the A3 pack. Or be very adventurous with a Dremel...
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I will say though that the F90 has the slickest grenade launcher implementation of any rifle out there:

https://rogueadventurer.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/f90-with-gl40.jpg

If they could retain the quick change barrel with this GL-40 integration it would be perfect IMO.

I plan on checking the F90 out at SHOT and comparing it to the AUG - will report back.
View Quote

I like that F90 rail and sling loop set up!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top