Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 6:38:11 PM EDT
So I have a Tavor SAR and shoot it suppressed.  When doing so, I often get a shot of schmootz on my neck from the blowback.  It comes from the plate opposite the ejection port.  I have the Gearhead QD swivel plate replacing the original.  

I want to place a bead of RTV around the plate to limit the blowback schmootz.  Anyone done this already and recommend a product?  I was thinking of that TV Flex Seal stuff just because I have a tube of it in clear from household projects.  What says the hive?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about the sealant, but Manticore makes a cover with a gasket that I plan on getting before my suppressor gets out of jail
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You are probably also getting gas blowback from the rail fits into the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Gearhead version and most of my gas is coming from under the top rail.

I gave up on suppressing the X95 and am working on suppressing my MPX now (it made more sense for me to get the MPX than the 9mm conversion and I already own a suppressed 9mm AR-SBR).
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered the Manticore. From my reading it stops gas best.

I'll rtv the rear of the rail.

I used clear packing tape for the first run out today,  damn.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It leaks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, i was gonna buy another mount for my specwar for it but think i'll pass seeing your pics even after what you've done.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, i was gonna buy another mount for my specwar for it but think i'll pass seeing your pics even after what you've done.
View Quote
I worded that REALLY bad.

Got rifle on Thursday.

Ordered Manticore last night.

Couldnt wait for new seal and didnt do anything to the rifle except put tape on it.

Sorry about that.

And yes, 51T/762SDN-6 was on it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I put automotive green masking tape and it doesn't seem to leak but I've never shot it suppressed. (automotive green is much stickier than home blue but still pulls off clean but may not after a long time)

Your face is still inches from the ejection port so it's not exactly smoke free.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I used black hi temp sealant on an MI cover, and then again at the rear of the rail/edge of the gas tube, no issues with gas.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most guns leak gas when suppressed... It's just a side effect you learn to deal with or mitigate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most guns leak gas when suppressed... It's just a side effect you learn to deal with or mitigate.
View Quote

Never had my fal, ar15, or ar10's spit that much out with a can tho. These x95 seem to be really bad about gas in the face.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Never had my fal, ar15, or ar10's spit that much out with a can tho. These x95 seem to be really bad about gas in the face.
View Quote

AR's (10 and 15) usually leak quite a bit of gas around the charging handle. There's a whole market of aftermarket charging handles to mitigate it. You've probably just not noticed it, because it's generally not really apparent. Put some clear tape on, and you'll see it.

FWIW, i've fired upwards of 10k rounds, all suppressed, through my Tavors. Never thought the gas was bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
My stag/saker setup is relatively gas free.

My Tavor/saker(with my  handloads) is bearable as well. Milsurp ammo not so much but I'm cheap so I shoot my loads most of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top