Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Count me in on absolute co-witness.  I thought I would NOT like it but find it much easier to deal with than lower 3rd co-witness.  It's great in overcast or low light conditions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Look what found it's way to SHOT...

https://youtu.be/mJmJ9iHNgk0
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I actually like the "emergency AUG" ( I am likely the only guy who does )  but the knife in the kit looks like a tacticool nightmare.   It should be a Fallkniven F1 or a Bark River Aurora.  Something with CLASS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to see the new rail being shown off. I realize there are always unexpected hiccups in actual production but we shouldn't be too far from these actually getting in Pete's hands!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm excited for the classic style optic for the M1!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the Steyr reps confirm if the original style optics would be available apart from the 40th anniversary guns?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did the Steyr reps confirm if the original style optics would be available apart from the 40th anniversary guns?
View Quote

Everything I've heard is that they're limited to the STG-77....but I'd be super-stoked for a 3X in this style!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Update On Rail Please.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Ready for purchase now.

I'll be buying a split rail and am excited to get this on an M1.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks nice. Wish it would fit my MSAR E4.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ready for purchase now.

http://i.imgur.com/HKOLigs.jpg
View Quote

Now do I wait for Pete to contact me? Or do I bug him?

Looks great. I'm getting a split rail too. I'm happy to see a proper long rail for the M1 now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the cost look like on the average?  I see there are a few choices, which I LIKE!

I want a non-split commercial.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I assume we have to email Pete to get these?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I assume we have to email Pete to get these?
View Quote

Yeah, email him or give him a call.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
He is usually swamped with email. I typically call him when I need something.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#16]
how much does Pete's rail weigh?  how does it compare to the new Corvus rail?

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Weight is 3.4 oz for the split rail and 3.6 oz for the full width lug version.

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
how does it compare to the new Corvus rail?
View Quote
PJs rail has 25 slots. It's now a factory Steyr part. No form 6 needed.

The european rail has 23 slots, it has some qd things off the side, and you can directly mount an acog super low. An approved form 6 is required to bring it into the USA.

To buy the european rail, you need to have an FFL who completed the ATF form 6, and you need to hire an importer to get the part through customs. Did the overseas company inform you upon purchase that you are subject to ITAR?

You could just buy it and hope the parts make it through. I'm not in a position to risk that, nor am I going to waste my time and money with the importation process over such a small item.

Paying an FFL to submit the form 6, paying the importer, buying the part, and paying shipping (twice) is more than the parts are worth.

Or you buy a rail that's US made from a solid reputable entity and bypass the ATF ITAR headache.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The Corvus rail is gonna be a bit more expensive in total I think. It's a good looking rail. But looks weird with 1/2 split and half full rails.

That and if you're following the letter of the law for import of firearm products. It's over $100. So there is paperwork you're supposed to give to the .gov.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't know about all the import regs.  Too bad...the mill work on these looks amazing

(good pics at the link)
http://corvusdefensio.com/en/shop/corvus-defensio-m1-receiver-rail/
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#21]
It does look like very good quality.

Also, I got an email from Pete earlier today. Talked to him and it's now in the mail. He's mailing out a bunch today from what he said.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It does look like very good quality.

Also, I got an email from Pete earlier today. Talked to him and it's now in the mail. He's mailing out a bunch today from what he said.
View Quote
I talked to Pete this morning also.  Have the commercial A3 ( M1 ) solid rail on the way.

What is my hex wrench size to remove the rail?  Also...is there a roll pin in the front of the rail behind the sling mount.....or no?  There is a hole...but I cannot see a pin in mine as far as I can tell.

Thanks, Gang!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
You need a long 4mm hex socket or 4mm hex T handle. The T handle may not do it in some cases which is why I just use a hex socket and ratchet now.

There are 3 bolts held on with a bit of thread locker. Lefty loosy, righty tighty...

Takes a couple minutes, very easy to do. I use a bit of blue loctite on the reinstall after cleaning the threads with a wire brush.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You need a long 4mm hex socket or 4mm hex T handle. The T handle may not do it in some cases which is why I just use a hex socket and ratchet now.

There are 3 bolts held on with a bit of thread locker. Lefty loosy, righty tighty...

Takes a couple minutes, very easy to do. I use a bit of blue loctite on the reinstall after cleaning the threads with a wire brush.
View Quote
Yeah, I just used a hex key in the right size. And a wrench for leverage. Came right off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you, Sir.  I am gonna order the right metric hex socket and extension for my torque wrench.

ETA:  anyone got a torque spec for me?  I am thinking between 25 and 30 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine this morning

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks great. I haven't even bought one yet...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ready for purchase now.

http://i.imgur.com/HKOLigs.jpg
View Quote
What are the benefits drawback of one vs the other.  I am going to be getting an M1 from PJ very soon.  I like this rail.  I like having a BUIS with a scope on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What are the benefits drawback of one vs the other.  I am going to be getting an M1 from PJ very soon.  I like this rail.  I like having a BUIS with a scope on it.
View Quote
The split rail is slightly lighter. By something like .2 of an ounce.

The split rail is not recommended for Larue mounts. A Larue mount could eat the rail/vice versa eventually. If you don't use any Larue mounts, it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]
...is there a roll pin in the front of the rail behind the sling mount.....or no? 

There is a hole...but I cannot see a pin in mine as far as I can tell.

Anyone have a Torque Spec for the bolts?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Unless they started putting pins in, there is not a pin.

I checked the manual, there is not a torque listing for attaching the top rail to the receiver. Other actions list torque specs, but the reinstall of the top rail does NOT have a torque spec.

"Guttentite" is the spec , don't go crazy. I clean the threads and add a drop of blue loctite before tightening a reasonable amount, nothing crazy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unless they started putting pins in, there is not a pin.

I checked the manual, there is not a torque listing for attaching the top rail to the receiver. Other actions list torque specs, but the reinstall of the top rail does NOT have a torque spec.

"Guttentite" is the spec , don't go crazy. I clean the threads and add a drop of blue loctite before tightening a reasonable amount, nothing crazy.
View Quote
Here's how I handled the situation:

Just like you said, the OEM torque was not very great.  Les than 40 inch pounds as far as I could tell.  I forgot to grab one of my small dial torque wrenches from work!!!   Anyhow, it was a breeze to get them out.

I cleaned up the screws with a steel brush and blasted 'em with carb cleaner.  I left the rail dry and cleaned up the shoulder bearing surfaces on the receiver.  I wanted to used a bit more torque than factory but I didn't want to go psycho on aluminum.....

Soooo, I went my my favorite locking compound for low torque/high hold spec apps....Rocksett.  I put a DAB in the middle of the holding thread and a WEE DAB on the bearing face of the socket head.

I hand tightened each and then went back in a line from front to back and tightened each on up to a firm stop for aluminum.  These are WELL MADE screws and the stop is VERY evident. Pete's rail is also DAMN well made.  His callout on the threads was perfect.  They torqued up beautifully AND consistently across all three holes.   I let them rest and then checked the torque and then slapped it back together.

So hot.

So sweet!!!!

Pics to follow!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Pete is the BEST!!!!!  I got this TWO DAYS after I ordered it.  The heavens opened and the angels sang when I opened the box!!!!  So pretty.  Soooo pretty.  The quality was evident right out of the gate.

Yanking the screws was easy.  I didn't even need to block up into a vise.  I had to use a long snoot 4 mil on the frontmost screw and switched to a regular 4 mil bit on the rear two.  Torque broke very easily.  I steel brushed and carb cleaner sprayed the screws.  I also avoided getting oil into the screw holes in the rail.  I didn't brush the rail with CLP until I was finished.  I put a drop on the bearing threads and a weeee drop on the socket face.  I did not have my inch pound wrench so, keeping in mind this was aluminum, I brought the screws to a light stop AFTER first hand tightening them in order from front to back.  I then let them rest a bit and double checked the torque.  My guess is about 40 inch pounds.  Maybe 50.  These are much bigger than scope screws.  I don't feel I had to go crazy because Rocksett is EXCELLENT for holding items at low torque in high heat and vibration environments.  I use it exclusively on muzzle brakes and flash hiders so that I can keep torque low but not have to sweat spin off.

Here is a pic of a comparison of the new length and height against the OEM rail.  Not a very good pic.  Sorry about that:

Here is the rail right before torquing.  Look at that gorgeous fit.  I nearly had to snap it on!!!!  PERFECT!!!!! 

Once installed, I re-assembled the rifle.  Man.....the receiver JUSSSST slides onto the stock!!!  YEAH!!! 

Here is the OLD setup right after I had purchased a 20 inch barrel:

Here is Pete's rail with my Romeo 7:

Pete has had a hell of a product made, here.  Extremely well designed and VERY, VERY, VERY well toleranced!!!!!

This is staying put!!!

Excuse the fingerprints in the oil.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Jack, how's the eye relief and height on those DD fixed sights? I was thinking of going the same route, maybe cowitness with a red dot, maybe just see how I like the irons.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Jack, how's the eye relief and height on those DD fixed sights? I was thinking of going the same route, maybe cowitness with a red dot, maybe just see how I like the irons.
View Quote
They work great for me (I also have a set of the same sights on my Kel Tec KSG). With the Pete rail and the sights. It's pretty much the same height over comb and cheek weld as your average AR. So the sights are also the height to co-witness with regular risers for optics. So they're comfortable all the way around.

I'm not planning to use an optic on my 9mm AUG. So these are perfect and more robust than folding polymer or metal sights.

On the KSG. Works great on them too: Excuse the pink.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Of course they would do this just one week after I picked up an M1 to go with my A3/SA, and spent days figuring out an appropriate height mount for a T1 on the long/tall rail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I got mine on Saturday.  Required a little sanding of the stock to make if fit perfectly, otherwise it was a little tight and I couldn't get the receiver back in all the way.  The rail is perfect and absolutely worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I got mine on Saturday.  Required a little sanding of the stock to make if fit perfectly, otherwise it was a little tight and I couldn't get the receiver back in all the way.  The rail is perfect and absolutely worth every penny.
View Quote
Mine was a little tight too going on the first time. One good whack on the receiver with a rubber mallet and all is well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mine was a little tight too going on the first time. One good whack on the receiver with a rubber mallet and all is well.
View Quote
Yeah, I did that too.  Needless to say I was panicking when I almost couldn't get it back off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, I did that too.  Needless to say I was panicking when I almost couldn't get it back off.
View Quote
I have those "oh shit" moments with gunsmithing type stuff at least once every couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Left to right: new extended rail, long rail, short rail
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I finally pulled the trigger on a new M1 and PJs installed the new long rail for me.  It should be in my hands by Thursday.  Will post pics
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I finally pulled the trigger on a new M1 and PJs installed the new long rail for me.  It should be in my hands by Thursday.  Will post pics
View Quote
Be prepared for LOVE!

Have you owned an AUG before?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/QGr62Ix.jpg

Left to right: new extended rail, long rail, short rail
View Quote
Mmmmm....three buckets of hot and SEXAY, right there!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Be prepared for LOVE!

Have you owned an AUG before?
View Quote
Nope, and I am REALLY excited!  You have no idea how long I have been waiting to get one of these in my hands
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd rather have the rail be too low. Nothing a riser can't fix if necessary. Too high of a rail is a more difficult problem to solve.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nope, and I am REALLY excited!  You have no idea how long I have been waiting to get one of these in my hands
View Quote
I was just out with mine today! 

The more I shoot it the more I love it..  Do NOT sweat the trigger.  Yes they are a bit heavy BUT they get a really ncie feel to them with use and you can stage them like a revolver or Glock trigger pretty darn easy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#50]
How do you like the sight radius? Thinking of doing this with my AUG and DD fixed sights.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top