Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Between the new long rail from Pete and the new Corvus extended rail, which one is longer?

I highly doubt I'm going to go thru the hassle of ordering the European version, but I'm curious as to how they compare in length and weight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Between the new long rail from Pete and the new Corvus extended rail, which one is longer?

I highly doubt I'm going to go thru the hassle of ordering the European version, but I'm curious as to how they compare in length and weight.
View Quote
Pete's is 25 slots and the Corvus is 23 slots
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Just an FYI Steyr has 15% off all accessories right now which include the rail.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice , if I hadn't bought the high military rail a few years ago this would be top on my list to get . Depending on  if my new OTAL fits on my set up I still might need to get this
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I am running nearly the same setup save for the optic and a 20 inch barrel.

How clear is that front sight for you on the Magpul Pros?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am running nearly the same setup save for the optic and a 20 inch barrel.

How clear is that front sight for you on the Magpul Pros?
View Quote
If I take off the MRO it's usable but with the extra 1x of magnification I can't focus on the front sight, thankfully I have a QD mount.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I installed one of these a couple weeks back for a friend. I do have one for myself however it's currently a couple thousand miles away.

The rail bolted on perfectly and is a machining masterpiece. Flipping it upside down you can really see the thought that went into lightening the rail. Very nice addition to the AUG M1. It's the way the M1 should have always been.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have contact info for Pete?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone have contact info for Pete?
View Quote
Should be on his website.

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the idea of a fixed sight AUG for some reason.

How do you guys think the HK diapoter sights would be from a cheek weld with the new rail on a new A3?

"HK416 Sights from RTG"
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#13]
If its the same height as an AR sight it would do well, I currently have Magpul PRO sights on my AUG and they seem to be okay so far.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
They look a little short to me. But that may be the angle of the picture. I don't know the specs for them.

I do use a set of Daniel Defense fixed sights on my 9mm AUG. With that same rail. They work great.

There's a picture of them on the second page.

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/fixed-front-rear-sight-combo.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Normally I don't modify my guns but this seemed mandatory.

I ordered it on Monday, Pete shipped on Monday and I received it 2 days later. No problems installing at all, I was able to remove the factory screws using a T handle hex wrench, I cleaned up the threads, added a small dab of loctite blue and tightened it up. it required just a smidge bit of pressure to push it onto the stock, I was ready to sand it down if necessary but it doesn't make much contact.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Extended rail is totally unnecessary imo unless you really wanna put on ironsights

Long high rail is good for all use.

Im starting to think short low rail could be great for all kinds of use too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone is different. Opinions and buttholes and all that.

I think the extended rails are 100% necessary with irons. But some people also like the farther back rail for themselves or certain kinds of optics. I mean look at the fixed optic AUG models. The rear of the scope come nearly all the way back to the ejection port.

I also like the looks. The super short, dinky rail looks especially out of place.

Besides, the more options, the better.

I would have preferred if the extended rail for the M1 was higher. Like the A3 military rail. But I tickled pink that the extended rail was made for the M1.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think the extended rails are 100% necessary with irons. But some people also like the farther back rail for themselves or certain kinds of optics. I mean look at the fixed optic AUG models. The rear of the scope come nearly all the way back to the ejection port.

I also like the looks. The super short, dinky rail looks especially out of place.

I would have preferred if the extended rail for the M1 was higher. Like the A3 military rail. But I tickled pink that the extended rail was made for the M1.
View Quote
First off, don't feed the troll :)

But to reply to you specifically, the only reason I went with this rail over the factory high/long was that I hated the almost chin weld of the high rail, this one brings the optic down to the correct height and weighs less than the factory rail! I'd rather have the short rail (as in height not length) and use a lightweight, industry standard AR height mount. I've also been playing around with the location of my reflex sight, I had it really far back today, then pushed it forward right before I took these pics, now it's back a little bit more, 1 more than was possible with the original rail. I'm going to have to get it to the range before I made a final decision but I like that I have options now.

I was contemplating adding some BUIS to the rail and I still might just to play around and see if I like it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
As I said, if you really want to put irons you could use the extended rail but even the short rail is capable of mounting any types of optics.

There are optic mounts that allow optics to sit far back. For example, Larue LT104, if you haven't heard of them

Look at all these pictures with extended rail, they never even use the end of the rail anyway.

Lastly, I stated imo which stands for in my opinion.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First off, don't feed the troll :)

But to reply to you specifically, the only reason I went with this rail over the factory high/long was that I hated the almost chin weld of the high rail, this one brings the optic down to the correct height and weighs less than the factory rail! I'd rather have the short rail (as in height not length) and use a lightweight, industry standard AR height mount. I've also been playing around with the location of my reflex sight, I had it really far back today, then pushed it forward right before I took these pics, now it's back a little bit more, 1 more than was possible with the original rail. I'm going to have to get it to the range before I made a final decision but I like that I have options now.

I was contemplating adding some BUIS to the rail and I still might just to play around and see if I like it.
View Quote
To quote Dr. Evil,  "Every creature deserves a warm meal".

I've always  liked the the high, .mil rail. Just my preference. :D But this height of rail works fine for me too. And this height of rail is made specifically to use AR style and standard and height optics/mounts/etc. So it makes sense to have it around here in the USA.

Yup, it's all about finding the right position for you. This rail gives much more options.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As I said, if you really want to put irons you could use the extended rail but even the short rail is capable of mounting any types of optics.

There are optic mounts that allow optics to sit far back. For example, Larue LT104, if you haven't heard of them

Look at all these pictures with extended rail, they never even use the end of the rail anyway.

Lastly, I stated imo which stands for in my opinion.
View Quote
Yes, thank you. And yes, I even was able to put a small set of BUIS and red dot on my 9mm M1 AUG when I had the "long" original rail.

Yup.

Yup.

Yes. I know what "IMO" means. We're just having a discussion on a discussion forum. I meant absolutely nothing bad by my comments.  No need to get defensive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Double post.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Have they fixed the cheese grating on your knuckles?

Or will you still get your hand all scraped up from operating the CH?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Underhand my friend. The key is to underhand the charging handle manipulation. Or buy an aftermarket part.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
the CH has always been intended to be operated underhanded.  I have an Austrian AUG manual from the 90's that shows this in the illustrations 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
In my pictures above of the white AUG that's a Gearhead works CH. You can manipulate the handle from that downward position.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The vast majority of optic mounts are made with the AR15 in mind. This is a huge advantage for the new Pete rail, as well as the original A3 Commercial height rail. 

I have the long/tall rail on my M1 and it took me several days of researching, testing and scouring the net to figure out exactly what mount I needed to use in order to get a proper cheek weld with an Aimpoint Micro. Direct mounting was way too low. Absolute cowitness mounts were too high, lower third cowitness mounts WAY too high. The right mount wound up being the ADM CASV, which works perfectly for that specific rail, but it was a pretty big headache to sort out. Now, if I take that optic off of my M1, that particular height mount is completely useless for any other firearm in my collection. I'd have to switch the mount if I wanted to stick it on something else.

Life is much, much easier when the firearm in question has a rail whose height above the comb is comparable to an AR. I went through all the trouble, so for me there is no going back, but if this was available at the time I would have chosen it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Just received my extended rail from Pete. Mounted a Burris 1x4x24 with illuminated reticle on it and absolutely love the new setup. Having that adjustable objective for old eyes is a must. Put the original 3 power optic in the safe. trying to decide if I should sell it or hang in to it posterity. But I have all to much posterity piled up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just received my extended rail from Pete. Mounted a Burris 1x4x24 with illuminated reticle on it and absolutely love the new setup. Having that adjustable objective for old eyes is a must. Put the original 3 power optic in the safe. trying to decide if I should sell it or hang in to it posterity. But I have all to much posterity piled up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79428/IMG_1992-287684.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79428/IMG_1993-287685.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79428/IMG_1995-287686.JPG
View Quote
Is that a 18" or 20"? Either way it looks good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#30]
20 incher, Im a huge dude the other were just to short.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks good. I'd suggest you think about flipping the scope rings to the other side.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
20 incher, Im a huge dude the other were just to short.
View Quote
How so? Longer barrel doesn't change the front grip location at all so I don't understand that. Not trying to be argumentative just genuinely curious as to what you mean.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Extended rail is totally unnecessary imo unless you really wanna put on ironsights

Long high rail is good for all use.

Im starting to think short low rail could be great for all kinds of use too.
View Quote
I'm starting to recognize your username because you always turn up posting some contrarian remark.

An extended top rail, lets see? Iron sights? Magnifier? Top rail mounted offset sling hook? Offset light mount on right side? There are any number of practical uses for a rail like this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget about this.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm starting to recognize your username because you always turn up posting some contrarian remark.

An extended top rail, lets see? Iron sights? Magnifier? Top rail mounted offset sling hook? Offset light mount on right side? There are any number of practical uses for a rail like this.
View Quote
Don't forget having an ACOG sit lower, having it sit a little further back for better eye relief. Having a laser mounted in front of the optic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Bottle cap opener?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mounted a Burris 1x4x24 with illuminated reticle on it and absolutely love the new setup. Having that adjustable objective for old eyes is a must.
View Quote
I'm very confused - that looks like a Bushnell AR-Optics?
http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflescopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl
and I didn't think the 1-4X had an adjustable objective?  All the 1-4 models I've looked at say "Parallax Adjustment: Fixed", when you move to the higher power zooms, the AR-Optics line offers side focus, e.g. http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflescopes/ar-optics/4-5-18x-40mm
ETA: Ok, so Bushnell's site is pretty inconsistent - but the 4.5-18 says "Side parallax focus" and you can see the knob.  

@ERNURSE Can you give some more details on the scope you're running?  A 1-4X with adjustable objective would be sort of interesting for indoor range use for instance.

TIA!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bottle cap opener?
View Quote
Tactical! Bottle cap opener.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I like the 20 incher as the end of the muzzle and the muzzle blast is further away from my hand on the front grip. I used to do close order drill with my m60. So got used to full size weapons, going to the AUG was a stretch for me but am so glad I did. the 16 just didnt feel right and i like the balance of the 20. When it comes to AR`s i like the full size A2 style over the M4 also. its just kinda feels more solid. Bu then I also am a wood and iron guy with the M1, BM59, 1903a4 etc. Same preference in pistols I like full size 1911, CZ75 etc.

Mal, thanks for noticing the scope ring nuts that will save me some knuckle skin for sure.

Rsolomon the scope is a Bushnell AR Optics 1x4x24, with a quick throw lever, illuminated reticle. My bad I think I listed it as a Burris. it has windage, elevation and illumination and adjustable objective with etched reticle. Had it for a few years so dont know if they still make it. sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Rsolomon the scope is a Bushnell AR Optics 1x4x24, with a quick throw lever, illuminated reticle. My bad I think I listed it as a Burris. it has windage, elevation and illumination and adjustable objective with etched reticle. Had it for a few years so dont know if they still make it. sorry for the confusion.
View Quote
Cool, thanks!  Yeah, the AR Optics web pages are pretty near useless as I discovered while trying to hunt down your scope
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 1:57:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Finally got around to putting mine on an M1. I forgot all about this.

Took a couple pictures comparing length and height against other common rails before bolting it on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#42]
The extended M1 rail is the exact height of the previous A3 commercial "low" rail. There were four different types of A3 commercial rail that Steyr used on the A3 over the years. Of the three examples I have of the commercial A3 rail, the new M1 extended rail is longer, lighter, and has more slots. This isn't true of the "military high rail" for the A3.

Left to right: random example of a 23 slot A3 rail, 2020 tr3g A3 rail, M1 short rail, M1 long (high) rail, M1 extended rail, and Steyr A2 rail.

Shortest to tallest height, from left to right: M1 short rail, A3 commercial height and M1 extended rail (both the same height), M1 long (high) rail and Steyr A2 rail (both the same height), and the 2020 tr3g rail.

Later tomorrow I'll put up images of the three different type A3 rails vs the M1 extended rail. A3 commercial (low) height, A3 military high rail, and A3 CQC.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top