Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2016 9:38:01 PM EDT
I like AUG's, all AUG's. I think the M1 is great and probably the best AUG yet, but there's certainly a benefit to the standard A3 receiver.

Give me your thoughts and feedback on what you think regarding a return of the original AUG A3 SA guns.

I'm trying to get Steyr to produce them again and it won't happen with my opinion alone. If you have something to say, anything, please voice it here. Decision makers will be following this thread.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes! You may want to make it a poll.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I like the A3 better. I didn't want the optic of the A3M1 nor the shorter rail space its picatinny adapter(s) offered, so I sought out the discontinued A3 for my second AUG purchase. (My first being a Sabre A3, which I had sold previously). My Sabre had the rail as pictured which covers the entire gas cylinder. The A3 I have now only covers half the gas cylinder in the front. Again, preference for the longer rail. The Sabre rail was also marked along its length with reference numbers, which was nice. I bought the AUG mag version both times (not NATO). I'd be interested in the NATO stock if Steyr could incorporate the A3 bolt release into it. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
<Non tech, abusive comments etc. AJ>
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you here then; in this thread?  And in the bullpup section no less? To piss all over it?  If you have such a low opinion, maybe you should just stay away.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once upon a time, this was a tech forum.  
<- GD is that way.

ETA: Decision makers should offer both the A3 and A3M1 variants.  (Get both)
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
They could just offer another rail that would be the same as the rail setup on the A3 receiver, or maybe the new rail that PJs is coming out with will be doing this. I personally don't care for either the short or high rail on the A3 M1 though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They could just offer another rail that would be the same as the rail setup on the A3 receiver, or maybe the new rail that PJs is coming out with will be doing this. I personally don't care for either the short or high rail on the A3 M1 though.
View Quote

All this is the best idea I think. I'm fine with the M1 and the modularity is nice. But the 2 rail options of the M1 as they stand now are a travesty. An A3 like rail (I vote for the height/length of the military high rail) and all would be well in the kingdom.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm a dullard, but i cant find anything the M1 offers that I want in my general purpose carbine.

With todays smorgasboard of quality optics and return to zero quick detach mounts, i cant see limiting myself to the factory optic choices. and the currently available rails are woefully inadequate for my use.

I love my A3.  I consider it my primary rifle.  With an aftermarket extended rail, it allows me a reasonable sight radius on my BUIS, and enough rail space for an IR laser, a red dot sight, and a magnifier or rail mounted NOD.  It also keeps these items at virtually the same height over bore that Americans are familiar with from ARs.  I don't see any way with currently available options to configure an M1 like that.

I would very likely buy another new production A3 as a spare.

As an aside, i would much rather see Steyr devote the engineering resources to shaving a pound of weight off the rifle.

I would pay a hefty premium for a sub-seven pound rifle with the AUGs ruggedness and reliability.  Pencil profile barrel, titanium operating rods and small parts, etc?  Not an engineer, but a sub-seven pound bullpup is the golden goose rifle in my mind.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ETA: Decision makers should offer both the A3 and A3M1 variants.  (Get both)
View Quote

I assume that would be the plan. Not to have one model replace the other.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather they just make a standard A3 sized rail that I could buy to convert my current AUG.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I really dislike the M1's long and short rail.
I also dislike being limited to the M1's integrated scope.

The original A3 is what I prefer, and I would definitely buy one if Steyr can reintroduce the A3 line.
Maybe, as already mentioned above, Steyr could just make a M1 model, but with the A3 type rail.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All this is the best idea I think. I'm fine with the M1 and the modularity is nice. But the 2 rail options of the M1 as they stand now are a travesty. An A3 like rail (I vote for the height/length of the military high rail) and all would be well in the kingdom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evidently this isn't possible. I asked Pete Athens about this a while ago and he said that the hump in front of the rail on the M1 doesn't allow for a rail like on the A3. I am sure someone could come up with a work around but I would be in for an A3 if they were offered. I want a hammer pack that uses AR FCG parts to be offered again as well and some 1/7 twist barrels to be run while we're at it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't understand how they can get the importance of BUIS so wrong. The M1 rails are woefully inadequate. I'd ditch my M1 in a heartbeat for an A3.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I already own a A3.
I want another AUG & would prefer it to be another A3.
I do not like the current rail options of the M1 at all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#15]

I think given the marketplace....Steyr is missing
a critical option (A3 reciever).

The short rail base of the M1 severely limits options on the user end.
Especially given the current marketplace.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad I got an A3 when I did, post sabre and pre M1.

Don't have the funds and space for another Aug unless I came across an A1 at a great price.

On my A3, I have the room for an ACOG and Troy micro back up sights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I would buy one if funds came available, but unfortunately unless I sell something from my collection it won't happen anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes I would like Steyr to reintroduce the A3. As others have posted, maybe with the taller and longer military rail. I specifically passed on the M1 variant to purchase the A3.
It was mentioned the PJS might offer a new rail. Is there any information on this?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes please.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#20]
If I were going to get another AUG it would definitely be an A3, I would not consider a M1 unless there was a similar rail offered.

Also the trigger pack and 1/7 barrels comment was right on, especially since they made 1/7 barrels already and could get more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#21]
My first choice would be that rail on an A3M1 ( Steyr magazine stock). I would give you my CC number now for that. I probably (95%) would get that if that was the only option.( it's been a good year and I have the cash!).  I  would prefer that rail to my current A3M1 "long" rail, see my avatar, but I can live with the NATO stock.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The A3 is all I have.  I think it's the most versatile/useful variation.   Making other models makes sense to me only if they are made in addition to the A3.   Not instead of the A3.  

Throwback models are neat.  CQCs are interesting if you need that.  Replicas of a variation issued to some European spec ops unit most have never heard of might be interesting also.   However, those should be in an "other offerings" category, and not "the only" category.  

There wasn't a vote category that fit me quite right, but if buying another, I'd probably buy another A3.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I think they are awesome but I have two so if they can bring it back I don't see myself buying another.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#25]
No it wasn't because of a large contract. As you can see in the pic below all the Steyr AUG receiver castings have the hump on the front.  

Sales for the A3 came to a crawl so they figured introducing the M1 would spark demand and sales which it did.

Anytime they can always go back to the A3 style receiver, all they have to do is mill the hump away.

Quoted:
I still can't figure out what "advantage" the A3 M1 receiver has over the A3 and why Steyr ever brought it out, except for the fact that they A3 M1 was for a large contract and we (the American commerical market) basically got the receiver overruns as the "new" gun.

They both do the same thing, and the A3 design is much easier to make work with extended rails or pretty much any top rail system.

I can only assume that for some reason the contract requirements included having that "bump" up front as some sort of recoil lug for the top rail and/or top optic.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I was looking at buying an M1, didn't really like the top rail options.  Shortly after that, I was happy to get the opportunity to buy back an A3 I had sold.  I haven't used the M1 in any configuration, but I think I'd prefer the old A3 due to the top rail.  It's at a good height and is a good length in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So instead of add an integral brass deflector, improve the NATO stock which is missing lots of features, improve the charging handle, get a lighter and modern integral optic, and put 1/2 x28 threads on the barrel (all things the U.S market has asked for and has been proven out by aftermarket support for 5+ years)  to improve the sales in the U.S. their decision was...to change the receiver and create two different versions of the same gun that have totally incompatible top end features and offers no value added whatsoever to the end product.  

Damn.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Ze Europeans know what ze US market needs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey, its worked for HK for decades. Seems to be kind of a Euro trend, lol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...their decision was...to change the receiver and create two different versions of the same gun...  
View Quote

In all fairness, the decision to offer a factory integrated optic was key to getting buyers like me off their ass and into the market.
Some of us came of age in the 80's/90's and had to be content looking at A1 AUGs in movies and video games.
To me, the quintessential AUG is supposed to be green, have a 20" barrel, and a factory 1.5x optic on a rearward-swept mount.
I get that the aftermarket was working to solve the optic issue (talon mount), but the A3M1 was the closest thing to an A1 since, well, the A1.
In a perfect world, the A3M1 would have looked exactly like the Stg 77 re-release, and the CL rail with BUIS would be a catalog item.
If Steyr offers a simplified A1-style scope and that long rail with integrated BUIS, I will continue to let them separate me from my money.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Steyr should offer 3 receiver variants:

this:

A3 (note this is the longer A3 rail which stops where exposed barrel starts)

this:

SF (note the factory optic has places for flip-covers, and the VFG can accept a laser activation switch. Steyr could sell the switch as an accessory.)

and this (A2 receiver/optic with A3 bolt release)

As options:
barrel length
color
comp or flash suppressor
absence of A3 bolt release (for retro version)

If I were to limit production to only two versions, it would be the top two. Then the retro version would be identical to the StG 77 they're doing a limited run of now. It's not exactly the same, as the traditionalists want, but it's close enough and saves having a third receiver design.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Right now in Austria there are four separate AUG receiver designs still being produced.

A1, A2, A3, and SF/SFO (M1).

They didn't monkey anything up, they just offered what people asked for - an AUG with the integral optic.
They already had that in 3 forms, A1, A2, SF type. Making an optic fit the A3 would have been more complicated than using one of three options that already existed.

In the end, the appearance of the M1 (stg77 optic housing not out yet) is very close to the A2, being the style (A1/A2) of gun people wanted, instead of bootstrapping something together that resembles an optic on an A3.

I think they made the right decision as it gives more choices. Perhaps it limits some aftermarket rails, but after all is accounted for, the M1 was a net positive for the AUG overall.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

this:
http://www.murdoconline.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/NEW-STEYR-AUG-right.jpg
A3 (note this is the longer A3 rail which stops where exposed barrel starts)this:
https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_assaultrifle_STEYR_AUG_A3_SF-O_6d22597b40.png
SF (note the factory optic has places for flip-covers, and the VFG can accept a laser activation switch. Steyr could sell the switch as an accessory.)http://i65.tinypic.com/sxes5z.jpg

As options:
barrel length
color
comp or flash suppressor

If I were to limit production to only two versions, it would be the top two. Then the retro version would be identical to the StG 77 they're doing a limited run of now. It's not exactly the same, as the traditionalists want, but it's close enough and saves having a third receiver design.
View Quote

I recently asked again about the SF optic and was told that to get that optic housing would add about $1000 to the price of an AUG.

I still want one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#36]
That doesn't make any sense. Why was the housing spec'd without provision for covers in the first place?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That doesn't make any sense. Why was the housing spec'd without provision for covers in the first place?
View Quote

The SF housing is a different housing than the SFO housing. We got the SFO housing probably because it was substantially cheaper, beside that who knows.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I recently asked again about the SF optic and was told that to get that optic housing would add about $1000 to the price of an AUG.

I still want one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this:
http://www.murdoconline.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/NEW-STEYR-AUG-right.jpg
A3 (note this is the longer A3 rail which stops where exposed barrel starts)this:
https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_assaultrifle_STEYR_AUG_A3_SF-O_6d22597b40.png
SF (note the factory optic has places for flip-covers, and the VFG can accept a laser activation switch. Steyr could sell the switch as an accessory.)http://i65.tinypic.com/sxes5z.jpg

As options:
barrel length
color
comp or flash suppressor

I still want one.

it's not even the fancy housing with tons of rails that most of us want the SF style receiver for; it's the lower height.  I'd like an SF style receiver but for the optic housing to just have some rail on top for a RDS and a usable BUIS molded into the housing
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
...a usable BUIS molded into the housing
View Quote

I can't quite figure out how the SFO BUIS is supposed to work.
There's the two white dots on the back like a rear sight, but the top scope knob occludes the channel along the top rail.
Is the knob supposed to act as an obese front sight, or did Steyr give up on this design feature during production?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can't quite figure out how the SFO BUIS is supposed to work.
There's the two white dots on the back like a rear sight, but the top scope knob occludes the channel along the top rail.
Is the knob supposed to act as an obese front sight, or did Steyr give up on this design feature during production?
View Quote

That's the joke.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  

But out of curiosity do the the shorter rail lengths impact eye relief on variable scopes?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#42]
As much as I loooove my A3M1....I would personally have preferred a straight A3.  The A3 receiver cut allows for about any length of rail one wants and provides valuable real estate for a BUIS system....the most critical shortcoming of the A3M1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top