User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2016 7:41:37 AM EDT
Green and black grip options:
https://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug.html
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
20% off today on all AUG stuff including the barrels.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Thank you!  I've always wanted a 20" barrel for my Black 906 Series.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the crawling stage running the AUG and still reading all I can on them.  

$399.99 seems cheap for a 20" AUG barrel...is this a good deal?  Seems about in line for a good barrel and bolt for an AR.  I would love to have a 20" to compliment the 16" on my A3 M1.  

.......Maybe the 24" HBAR setup after Christmas
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the crawling stage running the AUG and still reading all I can on them.  

$399.99 seems cheap for a 20" AUG barrel...is this a good deal?  Seems about in line for a good barrel and bolt for an AR.  I would love to have a 20" to compliment the 16" on my A3 M1.  

.......Maybe the 24" HBAR setup after Christmas
View Quote

In relative terms - yes.  In absolute terms, I thinks it's still way the Hell overpriced.  With today's exchange rate, they want $400 for a barrel.  That's a lot.  

But you know, let's walk through that together as I try to figure out if this impression is fair.   So OK, maybe I'm being unrealistic, since the AUG Barrel is a high grade steel, chrome lined, and does include the gas system.  Comparing it to a budget mass-produced 3rd party iffy QC $200 BBL maybe isn't realistic.   So OK, let's compare to another quality barrel - how much is a barrel from someone like LaRue?   We'll go to their website, and spec a 20" BBL, with M4 feed ramps, Barrel Nut, Gas Block, and Gas tube.  OK, that puts us up to $335.  Now add an A2 flash hider, and that puts us at about $345.  Aurguable, the AUG muzzle device is more premium than an A2, and so pick the cheapest non-A2 Flash hider, and we're up to about $380.  

Throw in the foregrip and gas system, and .. .well, to be honest, $400 isn't that unreasonable afterall.   Hell.. maybe I should grab one.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hell.. maybe I should grab one.
View Quote

Here's an example from a slightly less "boutique" manufacturer, but you can easily spend close to $400 on name-brand AR barrels:
Colt M4 barrel
Add Colt HGs at $89, flash suppressor of your choice, and you're at Steyr money for an arguably inferior (non CHF) barrel.

If it helps your decision, 20" AUG barrels have been OOS for over a year unless you wanted one bad enough to buy one from Pete.  I won't throw his price out here but it was more than the full list Steyr price.  I paid full list before they went on sale and feel damn lucky to have the barrel.  YMMV

Edited to fix the f'ed-up Brownells link and HGs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Throw in the foregrip and gas system, and .. .well, to be honest, $400 isn't that unreasonable afterall.   Hell.. maybe I should grab one.
View Quote

I sure did!!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:14:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Was the deal for 20% off the $399 price?!

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was the deal for 20% off the $399 price?!
View Quote

Regular price is $450 or more I think, and the sale price is $399.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Regular price was $550 for a long time. Prices are all over the place depending on time of year now. $400 is a great price, I bought a few at $515 or so and thought I was doing good.

Truthfully, even at full MSRP, the barrels are a really good deal compared to pre-2013 prices. Recently new 20" barrels sold easily at $1200 and used barrels went for $800ish.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
that's a good price considering that just the parts of the gas system are over $100
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
that's a good price considering that just the parts of the gas system are over $100
View Quote

...and THAT is why I fent!!!!

Plus, I really wanted the rifle variant of the AUG moreso than the carbine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I really have to get used to the 20 inch barrel, it's a night and day difference compared to the 16 inch barrel.
I did get the A3 muzzle device so it's going to be a toss up of what I like better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Best of both world's, sounds like.  Hell, I just wish mine would ship.  Is Steyr closed all week?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

...and THAT is why I fent!!!!
View Quote

Be advised that the barrel comes with a foregrip assembly and flash suppressor.  That's it.  No gas piston or regulator.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Be advised that the barrel comes with a foregrip assembly and flash suppressor.  That's it.  No gas piston or regulator.
View Quote
....and that is whatcha get for no doing you research.....I hust heard everone yakking about a barrel coming withthe gas system and took it at face value...oops....

Oh well....here goes another hit to the card...

THANK YOU FOR WARNING ME!
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you sure?  

I purchased a 20" barrel from Steyr direct last year, and it was complete.  Picture on Steyr's website shows a complete one.

I have another 20" arriving tomorrow so I'll be able to say for sure soon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure they forgot to put the gas kit in the barrel, Steyr always sells the barrels complete.

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you sure?  

I purchased a 20" barrel from Steyr direct last year, and it was complete.  Picture on Steyr's website shows a complete one.

I have another 20" arriving tomorrow so I'll be able to say for sure soon.
View Quote

Mine also arrives tomorrow.   I will chime in when it gets here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure they forgot to put the gas kit in the barrel, Steyr always sells the barrels complete.

View Quote

You know how to make a guy feel better!  :)  
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I received my barrel yesterday, it was complete. Gotta love rumors.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I received my barrel yesterday, it was complete. Gotta love rumors.
View Quote

Not a rumor; bought direct from Steyr 2 weeks ago.  Sounds like they owe me some parts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not a rumor; bought direct from Steyr 2 weeks ago.  Sounds like they owe me some parts.
View Quote
Dude.  It sounds like you are related to ME!  That is the kind of stuff that happens to me ALL the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, Steyr has good people.
Emailed Jeff Reece and he replied 5 minutes later.
Gas system parts were supposed to be included.
Parts are on the way.  
So I stand corrected:
This is a smoking deal, even at full price!

ETA: Gas system parts arrived, Steyr made good.
Excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, Steyr has good people.
Emailed Jeff Reece and he replied 5 minutes later.
Gas system parts were supposed to be included.
Parts are on the way.  
So I stand corrected:
This is a smoking deal, even at full price!
View Quote
AWESOME!!!  Glad to hear Steyr took care of you.  I called them this morning ( before jumping into the latest updates on this thread ) and talked to a VERY nice lady about where on earth my barrel had gotten off to.  She checked up on all the shipping and tracking for me and let me know that my shipment HAD shipped at the proper time, I just hadn't been notified.  So...she notified me. 

Sounds like good folks to deal with, so far.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I want one. Too bad I just spent all my Christmas money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I want one. Too bad I just spent all my Christmas money.
View Quote

It's what I spent my Christmas money ON!!!!    Man, did THAT get spent fast!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the barrel.  Gas system included.

Oooooh, do I like the 20 inch variant.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Okay.  I cleaned the new barrel and gas system and took my "new" new AUG to the range for a quick function check.  Ran like a dream.  Elevation was proper but windage was 4 minutes left of the original 16 inch barrel at 60 feet.  I was impressed by that.  I didn't make any changes as it was strictly a function check.

I do really like the 20 inch format.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Before:

After:

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Man....why did you have to post that?  I almost got my card paid off after Christmas.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#31]
You should see what MY cards look like.  It's ugly. 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]
anyone know if it's possible to get a barrel with the original hex check nut instead of the ugly abortion Steyr has been using since the A3 came out?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Unless you find an old barrel, no.

But you shouldn't have an issue changing the newer nut/muzzle device to the old style.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#34]

The 16inch barrel is nice because it makes an already compact weapon really compact, but still you have a good barrel length. But I've always liked and preferred the 20inch barrel on AUGs. From a non-NFA standpoint. An AUG with a 20 inch barrel is still at least 2 inches shorter than your average AR with a 16inch barrel (could be even more depending on where you run an adjustable stock on an AR carbine).

Barrels are pricey, but not too bad, all things considered these days and comparing prices from before 2013 as mentioned. Unless I'm wrong, if you're wanting an extra barrel, or something a little different. I'd get one now. From my understanding, Steyr won't be doing extra runs of barrels like the 24 inch or 18 inch anymore. Supposedly there was more demand. But it took years to sell them and they really didn't make very many. I got a 24 inch barrel back around Thanksgiving/Xmas in 2015. It was $350 from SteyrUSA direct.

18 and 24 inch barrels seem to be pretty much gone now. (Except Pete has a small amount of 18inch barrels at regualr price). 20 inch barrels are a lot fewer and far between it seems compared to 16inchers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The 16inch barrel is nice because it makes an already compact weapon really compact, but still you have a good barrel length. But I've always liked and preferred the 20inch barrel on AUGs. From a non-NFA standpoint. An AUG with a 20 inch barrel is still at least 2 inches shorter than your average AR with a 16inch barrel (could be even more depending on where you run an adjustable stock on an AR carbine).

Barrels are pricey, but not too bad, all things considered these days and comparing prices from before 2013 as mentioned. Unless I'm wrong, if you're wanting an extra barrel, or something a little different. I'd get one now. From my understanding, Steyr won't be doing extra runs of barrels like the 24 inch or 18 inch anymore. Supposedly there was more demand. But it took years to sell them and they really didn't make very many. I got a 24 inch barrel back around Thanksgiving/Xmas in 2015. It was $350 from SteyrUSA direct.

18 and 24 inch barrels seem to be pretty much gone now. (Except Pete has a small amount of 18inch barrels at regualr price). 20 inch barrels are a lot fewer and far between it seems compared to 16inchers.
View Quote
dammit!  They make 18s?????  That would be SWEEEET!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
dammit!  They make 18s?????  That would be SWEEEET!!!
View Quote

Yeah, Steyr had FN do a run several years ago. IIRC. They were especially popular with the CQC crowd.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, Steyr had FN do a run several years ago. IIRC. They were especially popular with the CQC crowd.
View Quote

Yep. It's the correct barrel for the CQC. When they were first made, FN was had a backlog of work from the elections and Sandy Hook. So when the CQC was sold back then it had a 16" bbl with an extended flash hider. The 18" barrels were made for the 500 or so CQC's that exist. The barrels work great as a nice spot between 16 an 20 on a normal AUG.

Just like the 24's, the 18's didn't sell so well. I don't think Steyr will ever do them again. At least not for many years. Who knows, they may never be back.

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Does it shoot any more accurate?
View Quote
I haven't done any testing other than reliability and some quick off hand shooting.  I am looking more at an edge in velocity that anything.  I do know that my off hand groups at 60 feet are "exactly" the same as my 16 inch barrel.  I was happy with that as consistency is something I was looking for.

I am hoping to get out this next weekend and see how it shoots at range.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep. It's the correct barrel for the CQC. When they were first made, FN was had a backlog of work from the elections and Sandy Hook. So when the CQC was sold back then it had a 16" bbl with an extended flash hider. The 18" barrels were made for the 500 or so CQC's that exist. The barrels work great as a nice spot between 16 an 20 on a normal AUG.

Just like the 24's, the 18's didn't sell so well. I don't think Steyr will ever do them again. At least not for many years. Who knows, they may never be back.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/ccqqcc_zpshk16hf0j.jpg
View Quote

The 18's do look good on the CQC. :)

500 or so 18ers. Do you have any idea on numbers for the 24 inchers made by FN? I know most were 1/9. Hundred or two hundred were 1/7.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Only 250 18" barrels were made.

18" barrels came a bit late for the CQCs, probably 150 of them have the 18" barrel instead of the extended flash hider.

Not sure if Steyr will do another run of them.

They didn't sell that well but is a great barrel!

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

500 or so 18ers. Do you have any idea on numbers for the 24 inchers made by FN? I know most were 1/9. Hundred or two hundred were 1/7.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/ccqqcc_zpshk16hf0j.jpg

All the 24s were 1/9 twist

Steyr did do a run of 200 1/7 twist barrels, those too didn't sell that well either.

Now they are in demand and sought after! Funny how thing works

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Steyr did do a run of 200 1/7 twist barrels, those too didn't sell that well either.

View Quote

Steyr just needs to make all barrels 1:8 and leave it at that.  It's really the most universal twist rate for 5.56
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#44]
So would it be accurate to say that because 150 of the 18" barrels ended up on CQC's, that there are really only 100 or so spare 18" barrels out there?

Mick

Quoted:
Only 250 18" barrels were made.

18" barrels came a bit late for the CQCs, probably 150 of them have the 18" barrel instead of the extended flash hider.

Not sure if Steyr will do another run of them.

They didn't sell that well but is a great barrel!

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 18" bbl does look great and it shoots so nice too. Really wish I bought another CQC when I had the chance.

Pete covered everything but I'll just add that some the original LMG 24" bbls brought into the USA were 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Steyr just needs to make all barrels 1:8 and leave it at that.  It's really the most universal twist rate for 5.56
View Quote

There's definitely some talk on this side of the Atlantic of changes to the AUG but whether it's just talk or if something comes of it is something I wait to see...
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doh. I thought some of the FN 24inch ones were 1/7. Must have confused them with the small number of 1/7, 16 and 20 inch barrels.

Yeah it's funny. That's how things tend to work out like when it comes to guns. Yesterdays crap nobody wants. Is tomorrows stuff that sells for a 100% markup. :D
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The 18" bbl does look great and it shoots so nice too. Really wish I bought another CQC when I had the chance.

Pete covered everything but I'll just add that some the original LMG 24" bbls brought into the USA were 1/7 twist.
View Quote

I kinda wish I got a CQC. But never did. Maybe some day.

Were all the Austrian LMG 24in. barrels 1/7 or was it a mixture with 1/7 and 1/9?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There's definitely some talk on this side of the Atlantic of changes to the AUG but whether it's just talk or if something comes of it is something I wait to see...
View Quote

it would be nice if we could have a wish list thread that the powers that be would take into account

I know my items would be:
1. Lighter weight
2. Shorter LoP
3. Real usable BUIS on the factory optic (like on the A2 or ADI optic)
4. Built in case deflector
5. Add a suppressor setting to the gas regulator
6. 1:8 twist rate

basically most of the things that Thales/ADI did with the F90 but keeping the removable barrel, vert grip and traditional AUG aesthetic
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Kind of OT, but have any of you tried that other style of flash hider on Steyr's site?
Wonder how it is compared to the one the guns ship with.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top