Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2016 9:38:43 PM EDT
Hi all,
Have an opportunity to get a SAR, but I really like the IDF variant.  Anyone know off hand the in & outs?
Thx
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The SAR has a full length top rail with flip up BUIS. The US made "IDF" model has a meprolight M21 optic mounted on an integrated mount directly to the barrel's rails. Also, the front and rear BUIS are slightly different. The front one is part of the hanguard top assembly and the rear flip sight is part of the receiver top insert which also includes a proprietary meprolight/IDF magnifier mount interface. IWI doesn't sell that part separately.  Just an FYI, the actual IDF issued tavor uses a short top rail with a mepro m21 flat top mount so the m21 can be co witnessed with the BUIS. The m21 replaced the ITL/MARS sight which was a taller optic and mounted directly to the barrel mounts.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks, seems to be a better option to start off with an IDF instead.
much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If by "better" you mean much more expensive, then you're correct! The IDF models are discontinued and commanding a premium... which I paid. The price difference is far more than the parts difference.

If anyone is interested I have a used IDF optic mount to mount the M21 directly to the barrel for sale. I purchased it before my IDF.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the IDF with the MX3 magnifier and it's an awesome setup. My M21 has a triangle reticle, which has proved good for more precise shooting. I snagged mine new at a great price and would pay a premium for it, no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
How many of the IDF models were brought in to the US?  Any plans for IWI to bring in more?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many of the IDF models were brought in to the US?  Any plans for IWI to bring in more?
View Quote

I don't know. No.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw one locally for $1600.  Would it be stupid not to get it at that price?  Definitely is the IDF version.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw one locally for $1600.  Would it be stupid not to get it at that price?  Definitely is the IDF version.
View Quote

Considering basic SARs are usually around the price +/-$100 I'd say definitely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top