Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
Looking at this and an X95. Any input on the M17S?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Friend has an M17s
Has an interesting story behind the design.

If you like to rapid fire - buy a quality oven mit for your support hand.
The rifles heat up VERY quickly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, how can I help?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one, how can I help?
View Quote

Let's hear it man.

Round count, reliability, magazine preferences if the rifle has them, any ammo it doesn't like, etc.,,
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Briefly: 500 RDS, zero mag issues(pmags and GI).
Haven't experienced the hot forearm issue but I'm shooting on a range vs hunting lease.

No issues at all. It suppresses well. I will bring out a mix of ammo for Thursday's shoot.

I did a comparison of aug/Tavor and handloads/m193,IIRC in videos but no one wanted to send me an email so I could send it to them to post. I just don't have the time right now to get a youtube site or whatever I need to do.
What I really need to do is move out of my 5000 SF warehouse!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Friend has an M17s
Has an interesting story behind the design.

If you like to rapid fire - buy a quality oven mit for your support hand.
The rifles heat up VERY quickly.
View Quote

That's true about the Bushmaster version.  It heated up after two mag dumps.

Kurt's Kustoms did an update mods which solved the heating problem.  Too bad Kurt was killed in a motorcycle accident.

K&M 308 version has caught my eye.  But still happy with my AUG.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I am very curious about their 5.56 and .308 versions.  The trigger looks great, but I have two big questions outside of the ones you've already answered:

1.) Accuracy w/ match ammo.

2.) Shooting offhand (righty shooting lefty).
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll try to remember to do that for you but since it's sposed to be 42 at range time tomorrow we'll see how I do!

Match ammo(don't have currently but may find some)isn't happening tomorrow. I need more info: describe match ammo and 200 yd limit here. My shooting buddy hits golf balls at 200 with a 338Lapua so I think he'll be taking the shots on this part.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
All we needed was 20-25 minutes to shoot a bunch of 13 second or so vids but we couldn't. My videographer(let's call him Will) was later than usual so we didn't get started before another member showed up and commenced  to set up his chrono system for a day at the range so we were still under a cease fire when we left.

Some of you have asked questions and I'll try to get those handled before we go out again on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a youtube account that I can host your videos on. I'll send you an IM once I clear out some of my messages. Nearly at the limit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a youtube account as well if you need, I sent you an email.

When I say accuracy with match ammo, I was just thinking something along the lines of FGMM or equivalent at 100yards.  A 5x5 (moa challenge) or 3x10 (Molon challenge) on one set of targets.  That gives us results we can compare to other platforms.  Hope that isn't too much to ask!

Really hyped for the results!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Let's hear it man.

Round count, reliability, magazine preferences if the rifle has them, any ammo it doesn't like, etc.,,
View Quote

Several hundred rounds through mine. Reliability was great after the extractor O-ring upgrade, rare extraction issues before that, now brass is thrown nice and clear. Ken is very good about fixing any issues you have.
Mag preferences: I've used old and new PMAGs, of 20 and 30 rd size, no issues. I've run it with a Surefire 100rd mag, also no issues. Regular aluminum mags, also no issues.
Ammo it doesn't like... haven't tried it with steel case, but it's run fine with brass cased ammo of 55 and 62 grs.

It does get hot under the forearm if you shoot fast. Get a VFG and you have no problems - get a grip-pod and you're golden! Foregrip that won't be anywhere near as hot as the aluminum handguard, and it's far easier to shoot from prone. Bullpups benefit a lot from a bipod in prone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks maleante.

Nice guns, chibajoe, especially the middle one!

Potts, I'll reread your email. I'll look for some of that ammo. I'm meeting a guy to sell some so I'll have cash.  Academy have that?

CorruptBureaucrat, I have some steel cased planned for my Thursday shoot, rescheduled to Tuesday.
I use a grip pod not against heat but to steady it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
CB, can you tell me more about the extractor upgrade? I'm SN 81.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CB, can you tell me more about the extractor upgrade? I'm SN 81.

Thanks.
View Quote

It's the M4 extractor O ring upgrade. You could also just buy the new extra strength (gold?) extractor spring. I had purchased the o rings a long time ago, so I popped one in to see how it worked. After that it threw brass like my highly reliable 7.5" AR upper - with range and power.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Academy has it online, not sure if in store: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/federal-premium-gold-medal-centerfire-rifle-ammunition#repChildCatid=3346455

Basically if you send me the vids, I can upload and post here.  I'm pretty sure that is what the other fellow is offering as well, it is really easy to do.  Could help you set up your own if you wanted.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#18]
The K&M M17S has the best bullpup trigger on the market, period.  It's lighter than the Tavor, more compact than the AUG, light years ahead of the RDB, and actually exists, unlike the MDR.  Plus, it's all metal and made in the USA.  The open receiver design doesn't get nearly as hot as the old one did, and the fact that it uses standard AR grips is a big plus.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
That sounds like my reasoning for buying mine!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That sounds like my reasoning for buying mine!
View Quote

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of selling the X95 in order to fund another M17S.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I sent my vids off to be posted so tHat should be soon but in the meantime my findings were: Tula was the least smoky, out of: m855, 23.8 gr aa2230, wolf enamel and the Tula polymer.

I did not perform an accuracy test but hope to get that done with the four above mentioned brands. This is the first and will be the only time I shoot comblock ammo in my nice guns!

Everyone loves my rifle until they hear the price.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I sent my vids off to be posted so tHat should be soon but in the meantime my findings were: Tula was the least smoky, out of: m855, 23.8 gr aa2230, wolf enamel and the Tula polymer.

I did not perform an accuracy test but hope to get that done with the four above mentioned brands. This is the first and will be the only time I shoot comblock ammo in my nice guns!

Everyone loves my rifle until they hear the price.
View Quote

Which is retarded, considering the M17S is less than a Tavor with the Giessele trigger pack, but still has a better trigger.  This is especially true if you sent your's back to Ken to have the adjustable trigger put in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:06:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The K&M M17S has the best bullpup trigger on the market, period.  It's lighter than the Tavor, more compact than the AUG, light years ahead of the RDB, and actually exists, unlike the MDR.  Plus, it's all metal and made in the USA.  The open receiver design doesn't get nearly as hot as the old one did, and the fact that it uses standard AR grips is a big plus.
View Quote

You just named all my reasons for getting one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok, here are the vids from xdmikey, the vids won't embed so just follow the links:

M193: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua4egdeyCF8[/youtube]

Wolf: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be9zmuToO1w[/youtube]

Tula: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznmZwkg3Ck[/youtube]
View Quote

You need to be a team member to embed videos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top