Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2016 9:28:19 PM EDT
I bought 8 MAGPUL AUS (AUG) magazines a few months back and I finally got a chance to test them out today. I tried out 8 different types of ammunition and my testing was focused on magazine reliability with various ammunition types. Weather conditions was cold and somewhat windy (34 degrees) and my AUG is an A3 M1 in Mud color with approximately 700 rounds through it. It has the "long" rail and is topped with an AimPoint T1 in a LaRue HK height mount (660HK) and backed up with Troy Micro HK type sights. I was not testing for accuracy as I was curious as to how good the magazines are and how compatible they were with different types of ammunition. All 8 of these magazines were brand new and never used before. Prior to use, I spray painted each magazine with Krylon sand color. I did this to differentiate these magazines from my AR PMAGS. The witness window on the magazines were not painted. (i'll post pictures later). My target was a paper IPSC target with an 8 inch circle superimposed on it. All rounds were fired from the standing or kneeling. Target distance was 70 yards. The magazines were marked 1-8 and for test 1 and 2,  each magazine utilized the same ammunition.

The following ammunition was used:
1. Speer Gold Dot 55 grain GDSP (223)
2. Winchester Ranger 64 Grain Power point SP (223) (Issued by a Federal Agency)
3. Federal Premium Law Enforcement 64 Grain Hi-Shok SP (223) (Issued by a Federal Agency)
4. Federal 62 Grain Trophy Bonded Soft point (223) (Issued by FBI)
5. Speer Law Man RHT 55 grain Frangible RHT (556) Issued by multiple agencies as a training round for shoot houses and for up close plate work)
6. Barnes TSX 70 grain hollow point (556) (Issued by a Federal agency)
7. Federal M855 Green tip. (556)
8. Federal M193 (556)

My testing protocols  (given my objective) was pretty straight forward:

Test 1.   A magazine was loaded with five rounds and inserted into the magazine well and a round was chambered. The magazine was then removed and replaced with an empty magazine. The partial magazine was placed back into my plate carrier.  The rifle was fired and the bolt was checked to ensure that it was held open by the magazine. I would then do a magazine change, dropping the empty magazine and replacing it with the partial magazine. Each magazine was tested five times to ensure it would hold the bolt open AND that it would feed all five rounds. A total of 40 rounds were fired doing this. All 8 magazines functioned flawlessly .

Test 2. Each magazine was loaded with 15 rounds (except for magazine 5 which only had 10 rounds - didn't want to waste frangible ammo on a paper target and Magazine 4 which had 25 rounds in it - I brought much more of this ammunition than I thought). This was a simple test. Fire the magazine rapidly to test for function and to ensure that the bolt hold functioned. Once the magazine was expended, I executed a rapid reload and then observed where all of the brass landed and then walked down range to check for accuracy (success is all rounds in the 8 inch circle). this allowed for the weapon to cool down between strings of fire. Results were identical as test 1. I had zero malfunctions amongst all 8 magazines. Accuracy was also excellent with 90% or better of all rounds striking the circle.

For test 3 I loaded magazine 1-4 with 30 rounds of M855 and would do "up drills', (Weapon shouldered in the high ready or low ready and on safe, the weapon would then be brought up on target, taken off safe and two rounds fired, weapon back on safe and then returned to high or low ready). There was no cooling off between magazines and as a magazine went 'dry' it was replaced and the testing continued. Once again there were no issues and each magazine fed with 100% reliability and each magazine held the bolt as it ran dry.

Overall I fired 295 rounds without any issues and as of now I have complete confidence in the MAGPUL AUS magazines. Would I carry them for duty or for home defense? My agency would never let me carry the AUG for duty so that's a moot argument. For personal use? YES. I'm 1000 rounds into the AUG with under 1/3rd of this being MAGPUL fed. The factory magazines are arguably the best rifle magazines ever designed (Sorry SIG 55x) but based on initial testing and reviews that others have done, I see them to be equal to the factory magazines.

In the future I'll try leaving some loaded for extended periods of time to see how the spring lasts as well as drop test them for durability and to see if they hold the rounds or release them.

While doing these tests today I noticed a few things:

Ejection patterns;
Rounds 1 and 2 elected to the 1 o'clock. Round 3 was mostly to the 2-3 o'clock. Round 4,5, and 6 were mostly to the 5 -6 o'clock. Rounds 7 and 8 ejected rounds anywhere between the 2 o'clock and the 5 o'clock with a rough equal dispersion.

Ease of use.
Whether slung or while doing drills, the rifle is very well balanced and is easy to both shoot and carry.

Kit.
Because of the 'hook' on the back of each magazine, single magazine pouches that work with an M4 wont work. Same with the kangaroo pouch in my LBT 6094 and same with my JPC. What does work are double M4 magazine pouches (but only used with one magazine), Blueforce gear 10 speed M4 pouches and Taco pouches. I ended up setting up a Blueforce gear plate minus with a triple M4 10 speed pouch on the front. The added benefit of this set up is that I can also use the same set up when I run an M4 or other rifle (except for the SIG 55x. I had to dremel off the magazine couplers on those magazines to get them to work...)

As stated above, I'll get a few pictures up  in the next day or two showing the AUG, the MAGPUL magazines and the ammunition boxes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up.

You had a thread earlier asking about mag pouches I meant to reply to, I like to use platatac magazine pouches. Their singles fit the AUG mags nicely.

And to think that I spent the day at work today...
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
These are on sale right now for $22. What I have as singles are very similar.
I'll probably be a couple, if you want in to save on shipping, let me know.

http://www.platatac.com/platatac-triple-shingle.html
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice write up.

You had a thread earlier asking about mag pouches I meant to reply to, I like to use platatac magazine pouches. Their singles fit the AUG mags nicely.

And to think that I spent the day at work today...
View Quote

A cold windy day at the range is always better than a room temperature day in the office... Its awesome to finally get a few days off to do stuff that I want to do!

I think I cracked the code on magazine pouches with the BlueForce gear. I didn't want to setup a plate carrier that was dedicated to just the AUG. The 10 speed pouches give me the versatility to run several different platforms without having to swap pouches. I am going to build a dedicated AUG battle belt but that will probably be taco based so it will also still have the versatility to support M4 as needed.

Today was really good and I'm hoping to get a few days in December to get more reps in with the AUG. I'm running some ranges for my guys in December as well as teaching at other agencies, but I normally stick to the issue stuff for that since I'm on Uncle's nickel. If you're ever free or wanna play hooky let me know. Pelham is a pretty good place to set up aggressive range scenarios. Plus I'm still at the crawl stage when it comes to the AUG so any pointers you can give me would be greatly appreciated. .
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]

I'd definitely jump in on a triple shingle in either the tan / brown or multicam.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there a group buy coming on these? I'd be in if so.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried out 5 of these this past weekend, they all fed Wolf Gold 55gr just fine, I did find them tight though as they don't drop free like my Steyr mags do. I think a little sanding would make them perfect.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]
As promised, picture of the magazines I tested.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
OP - Thanks for the testing results and pics.  Did the Pmags eject freely during your testing?

regards
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP - Thanks for the testing results and pics.  Did the Pmags eject freely during your testing?

regards
View Quote

Not consistently. Some did and some didn't. This may have been because sometimes I had the rifle canted while I experimented with different reloading techniques or maybe it was due to the newness of the magazines. Either way , my next range trip will focus on refining my reloading techniques. My factory magazines all drop free.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
The aug mags looks to be larger in several areas, but I don't have my contacts in yet either.

burkeva, did you color scheme those mags yourself? Well done if so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The aug mags looks to be larger in several areas, but I don't have my contacts in yet either.

burkeva, did you color scheme those mags yourself? Well done if so.
View Quote

Thanks. The Magpul magazines are somewhat taller but thinner. Because of the hook on the rear of the magazine, pouch selection is still important regardless of magazine type (factory or Magpul).

Painting was very easy. I bought a can of krylon tan (sand) and a roll of painters tape. I taped off just below the line where the magazine fits into the magazine well. I then put a piece of tape over each window and then trimmed it with an exacto knife. Two light coats over  the span of 30 minutes and then let dry over night. Remove the tape and then start shooting!  It's very important to do two light coats instead of one heavy one. I've painted magazines, holsters and even a few rifles that way. If you want to add other colors to create camo patterns, make a few stencils out of thick file folders and then spray away. I can post a pic of an SBR I did a few years back that's still holding up pretty well.

My primary reason for painting was to be able to quickly and easily tell these magazines apart from my M4 magazines. Krylon is a cheap and easy way to do that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the write up and sharing your results.

It had been said that a full AUG mag can slip a round from time to time upon rigorous insertion, or when dropped.  I would be curious if you were to take a PMag, load up a full 30, and then vigorously insert it into an open AUG.  Repeat several times, observing for rounds jumping out of the magazine.   Then repeat with a factory AUG mag.    Do so at room temperature, and at high temperature (maybe heat them in an electric blanket).  It takes a full 30 rounds (spring tension and inertia of the weight of 29 rounds behind it upon jacking the magazine in), but you don't have to actually fire them.

I had a full AUG 42 jump a round right out through the ejection port on my once, upon insertion.

I also see that AUG mags can lose rounds when dropped kind of easily, and am curious if the PMag is better in that regard as well.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the write up and sharing your results.

It had been said that a full AUG mag can slip a round from time to time upon rigorous insertion, or when dropped.  I would be curious if you were to take a PMag, load up a full 30, and then vigorously insert it into an open AUG.  Repeat several times, observing for rounds jumping out of the magazine.   Then repeat with a factory AUG mag.    Do so at room temperature, and at high temperature (maybe heat them in an electric blanket).  It takes a full 30 rounds (spring tension and inertia of the weight of 29 rounds behind it upon jacking the magazine in), but you don't have to actually fire them.

I had a full AUG 42 jump a round right out through the ejection port on my once, upon insertion.

I also see that AUG mags can lose rounds when dropped kind of easily, and am curious if the PMag is better in that regard as well.
View Quote

That's definitly on my list of things to experiment with. As you observed with the factory magazines if you hold a fully loaded magazine in your support hand and then strike the bottom hard with your dominant hand (or drop it on a hard surface from relatively short heights - 3 feet) normally you'll lose a round or two. What I'll do with the Magpul magazines is to load one or two and after 30 days try the above testing ( sharp slap and short drop) . I'll let you know what happens.

In my experience with AR magazines (to include 9mm M635 colt and uzi magazines), I've found that the 9mm colt and uzi variants "fountain "  very easily and you lose 3-5 rounds.
I've kept Magpul AR magazines loaded for years (some in magazine pouches on kit and others in go bags) and I've noticed that after time and use, the Magpul magazines will also lose a round or two when dropped or hit. I haven't  noticed that with the aluminum GI magazines.

Finally, I have heard that when you reload the AUG from an open bolt that you shouldn't use to much force - almost a push/pull instead of a super hard insertstion. That is totally opposite of how I was taught and how I teach to reload ARs.  In my upcoming range sessions I'll try to perform more dynamic reloading to see what happens. I have enough magazines and dummy rounds to spend a few hours trying different techniques to see how much or how little force you need to reload without incident from an open bolt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I look forward to your test results.  This aspect (round jump), is the primary reason I am interested in the PMag - as there is no other functional or economic advantage.  And being windowed, vs clear, I consider it to be lower feature, than factory AUG.  However, if it has superior round-jump characteristics, then I remain interested.  So I look forward to your test results!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally got around to do some drop testing and experimentation with the PMAGs as well as compare them to the factory magazines. I did a total of eight different tests and while the results are from a small sample, I think that it creates a good baseline for analysis.  The magazines I used were all brand new and out of the wrapper:

1. MAGPUL AUS 30 round.
2. MAGPUL AUS 30 round with ranger plate.
3. Factory 30 round magazine.
4. Factory 42 round magazine.
5. (2) Blue weighted solid blue training magazines (these are a solid block of resin and don't take ammunition.)

Weapon used is per my Avatar, A3M1. for all tests the weapon was held in the horizontal position and the magazine release was actuated with my weak hand thumb.
All testing was done in my study at room (70 degree) temperature. It was 15 degrees for the most part today so I was not going to go outside unless UPS showed up!

No live ammunition was used. All ammunition pictured was brass cased dummy rounds.
Since the blue training magazines are incapable of taking any ammunition, not all the tests are applicable for them.

Testing:
A. Empty magazine inserted, bolt is open and magazine released is depressed to see if magazine drops.
B. Empty magazine inserted, bolt is closed and magazine released is depressed to see if magazine drops.
C. Full magazine is inserted, bolt is open and magazine released is depressed to see if magazine drops.
D. Full magazine is inserted, bolt is closed and magazine released is depressed to see if magazine drops.
E. Full magazine is inserted with force on an open bolt to see if a round would displace to cause a double feed.
F. Full magazine is inserted with force on an closed bolt to see if magazine would seat reliably.
G. Full magazine is held in weak (left) hand and struck on the floor plate with force by the strong hand (done 3 times).
H. Full magazine id dropped from a height of 3 feet onto a hardwood floor. (done 3 times).

Results:
A. The MAGPUL magazines would not drop, all the other magazines dropped freely.
B. All magazines dropped freely.
C. The MAGPUL magazines would not drop, all the other magazines dropped freely.
D. All magazines dropped freely.
E. (no blue) All magazines performed without issue and there were no double feeds *
F. (no blue). All magazines seated without issue.
G. Factory 30: One of three strikes cause a round to shift forward
   Factory 42: One round flew out twice, third time a round shifted forward
   PMAG 30: one of three times a round shifted forward
   PMAG Ranger plate: two of three times a round almost exited the magazine
H. Factory 30: one round flew out, second time a round shifted forward, third time no issues.
   Factory 42: round shifted forward all three times
   PMAG 30: No issues
   PMAG 30 Ranger: no issues

Results and analysis:
The PMAGs don't drop free on an open bolt regardless if full or empty. Maybe with some light sanding in the right spot would fix this. The PMAGs performed best with the drop test.
The factory magazines did worse when dropped or struck sharply with the 42 round magazines really suffering the most from inertia. Conversely, due to the leverage you get from the extra length, the 42 round magazines are the easiest to insert into the magazine well. All you need is a slight push / pull and its in for the win!

*The biggest potential for user caused malfunction is to try to insert a magazine on an open bolt with the top round not correctly seated.

As an extra bit of experimentation, I down loaded each magazine by one round and then did the drop test and the strike test. In all cases, the top round on all the magazines either flew out completely or shifted out of position.

Take away:
Unlike M4 magazines or MP5 magazines or Colt 9mm SMG magazines, there is no need to download any of these magazines by 1-2 rounds to aid with seating on a closed bolt. Load them to capacity and run the gun.
Magazine insertion does not need to be as forceful as on the M4. A simple push / pull works fine.
The biggest danger for a double feed seems to come from mishandling the magazine (dropping it or banging it on something and then lading it with force on an open bolt). This seems to be where most double feeds are born.
The 42 round factory magazines are a doubled edged sword, easy to insert but also most susceptible to mishandling causing the top round to be out of place. The laws of inertia are fully in effect.
In the coming days, i'll chalk up one of the PMAGs and try to determine where it needs to be sanded to facilitate ejection.

Caveat:
The above test results are all from a very small sample size. I take detailed notes whenever I go to the range and if issues arise I annotate and then look for patterns and trends.

Hope this is helpful and pictures will go up in the next hour.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the study burkeva.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Good stuff in here.

One thing I've noticed is that there are variations in the magwells between guns. Some of my AUG's drop mags freely, while others do not. I've never tried to fix the problem by sanding the magwell, too expensive an item to potentially mess up.

When you find out where the magpul mags are rubbing, let us know.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good stuff in here.

One thing I've noticed is that there are variations in the magwells between guns. Some of my AUG's drop mags freely, while others do not. I've never tried to fix the problem by sanding the magwell, too expensive an item to potentially mess up.

When you find out where the magpul mags are rubbing, let us know.
View Quote

Thanks! It was an interesting and eye opening experiment. To clarify, I'll sand the magazine not the magwell. Based on some quick observations, I thing the rubbing is occurring on the back of the magazine. By coincidence, I have a box of chalk that kids use to draw on asphalt so I'll chalk up the rear of the magazine and see where it rubs off the worse. The rub area is where I'll sand. I also posted in the MAGPUL industry forum to see what they say.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a feeling that the Australian military specified that the mags not drop free.  In the new AUG F90 they developed, they also made the mag release have a lower profile to make it harder to depress to release the mag.

also, there is just no reason for AR style slamming the mag in or smacking the bottom to make sure it's seated.  That's purely a quirk of AR magazines and the ease of insertion and loud and tactile positive click when inserting a mag into an AUG make it just wasted motion.

Did you notice a difference in the factory 30 and 42 round mags as far as dropping free?  Going back decades, it's always seemed to be that the 30 rounders drop free while the 42 rounders do not
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Great tests!  Thank you!

I do suspect that the heavier lead bullets of live ammo and their overall higher inertia may cause more extensive events of that tested, but all the same, this was very informative.

As to drop free, file down the circulare nub on the front of the 42 (just a bit), and they will drop free.

Though, over time I have found drop free much less important on an AUG.  I left hand drop with my thumb, which causes my hand to wrap around the mag body anyway.  I've tried clever drop tricks while holding the next mag, but such are too easy to fumble under stress.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

also, there is just no reason for AR style slamming the mag in or smacking the bottom to make sure it's seated.  That's purely a quirk of AR magazines and the ease of insertion and loud and tactile positive click when inserting a mag into an AUG make it just wasted motion.
View Quote

I think that's a good point.  The AK, M14, M1 carbine, and most other non-STANEG magazine fed firearms don't include a hard slap as part of the manual of arms - that's something more specific to vertical insertion STANEG-type  magazine feed arms it seems.  Magazines that involve some form of rock-click just don't need or call for high vigor in insertion.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a feeling that the Australian military specified that the mags not drop free.  In the new AUG F90 they developed, they also made the mag release have a lower profile to make it harder to depress to release the mag.

Did you notice a difference in the factory 30 and 42 round mags as far as dropping free?  Going back decades, it's always seemed to be that the 30 rounders drop free while the 42 rounders do not
View Quote

Interesting thought about the Aussies not wanting the magazine to fall free. It only happens on an open bolt and maybe it was all engineered that way. I posted the question to MAGPUL in the industry forum but haven't heard back yet.  

For me, there was no difference between the factory 30 and factory 42. Both dropped freely regardless of bolt position. The 42s are way easier to insert due to the leverage you get from the added length.

The PMAGS  not dropping freely isn't a show stopper for me. I've had enough experience on the  M4 series where a PMAG or even GI magazine didn't fall freely during a reload and swatting it out of the way added under a second to the reload. 50 yards and closer ( and depending on other factors) our TTP is to immediately transition to handgun. We get the stick back up once we have negated the threat, gotten to cover, have a partner cover for us and etc. lotta variables. Bottom line is that the PMAG not dropping free doesn't really change all that much for me.

Having said all that, If I was allowed to use my AUG as my work stick, I would probably run factory magazines only for duty and use the PMAGS for range training or maybe for a specialized munition ( tracer, green tip, frangible etc) so I'd know by feel that the PMAG was what I wanted for the task at hand.  The reasoning is not from any inherit unreliability but rather from consistency of the factory magazines always dropping free.

I have 10 of these PMAGS and I'll continue to experiment with them. If all it takes to make them drop free is some light sanding I'll do that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#26]
As an additional data point for everyone.  My roomie and I both have an a3M1 and, so far, both Steyr and Magpul mags drop free on both guns.

We have a selection of Steyr and Magpul mags incoming and will test them all on both guns.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As an additional data point for everyone.  My roomie and I both have an a3M1 and, so far, both Steyr and Magpul mags drop free on both guns.

We have a selection of Steyr and Magpul mags incoming and will test them all on both guns.
View Quote

Were the magazines loaded, empty or partially loaded and was the bolt locked back or forward?

Appreciate your AUG enthusiasm. I've had mine over a year now it always brings a smile to my face when I fire it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll probably buy a couple, if you want in to save on shipping, let me know.
View Quote

Thread hijack:
I stuck some mags in these pouches for the first time last night and found the fatal flaw. A small amount of the material is folded over into the inside of the pouch and with the way it is sewn it's just enough to catch the pointed edge of the magazine locking lug which makes removal impossible without carefully handling the mag and pouch with both hands. I'm going to cut along the seam in that area it hangs up on and see what happens. Should work fine after that I hope. No issues with USGI mags, so if you don't want to cut like I'm going to try, it'll still work with AR mags.

If I'm disappointed with these, imagine all the Aussies who figured out the hard way too. No wonder they were on sale.

@xdmikey
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Were the magazines loaded, empty or partially loaded and was the bolt locked back or forward?

Appreciate your AUG enthusiasm. I've had mine over a year now it always brings a smile to my face when I fire it.
View Quote

The only way I have done it so far is running partial mags to empty and dropping them from the auto lock position OR dropping them from the manual bolt lock position.

I have literally walked in the door from testing my 20 inch barrel for initial reliability.  I only fired about 60 rounds of both 62 and 55 grain ball.  I made specifically sure the DROP the mags when the gun ran empty each time.  I used both the Steyr and Magpul mags.

Mind you, my sample is is literally one of each at the moment but I have more Magpuls on the way.

You know, I recently sold my CZ Scorpion EVO which I found to be an underdeveloped pain in the ass whose only true asset is that it is deadly accurate.  YOU have to do all of the work to it to make it comfortable, to make it reliable and you have to pray and hold your tongue just right so that the mags don't just break on you.  It's CZ's worst gun ever....and, in my opinion, an utter embarrassment to the company.....that is, if they had the wherewithal to be embarrassed.

The AUG is EXACTLY the polar opposite.  Put on the optic of your choice.  Do an initial clean and lube.....and run it!  My GOD what a weapon.  I have also had the fortune to run the Tavor and, as much as I do like the Tavor....give me the AUG EVERY TIME!  I only have about 400 rounds through the gun total so far....but I am in love, love, love.....and I think I am going to keep it in the rifle variant.  Lovin' that 20 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thread hijack:
I stuck some mags in these pouches for the first time last night and found the fatal flaw. A small amount of the material is folded over into the inside of the pouch and with the way it is sewn it's just enough to catch the pointed edge of the magazine locking lug which makes removal impossible without carefully handling the mag and pouch with both hands. I'm going to cut along the seam in that area it hangs up on and see what happens. Should work fine after that I hope. No issues with USGI mags, so if you don't want to cut like I'm going to try, it'll still work with AR mags.

If I'm disappointed with these, imagine all the Aussies who figured out the hard way too. No wonder they were on sale.

@xdmikey
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread hijack:

@xdmikey

Thanks maleante for the heads up. Obviously I haven't done any training with mine yet!
I will be taking my aug out to play this morning but will need to dig out my 30s for experimentation next year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thread hijack:

@xdmikey
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread hijack:

@xdmikey

Thanks for the heads up, I still haven't messed with mine since I got it from you. I probably wont be able to really mess with it until the end of the month. I'll let you know if I have any issues. Regardless of if these turn out to be a huge success or failure, I do know that the BlueForce gear 10 speed pouches work fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thread hijack:

@xdmikey
View Quote

In my experience, any pouch system designed for AK 7.62 mags works well for AUG mags, as they have similar length and are both curved, and most importantly, have the locking lug that needs to be taken into account with the design.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, you do some very nice write ups. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top