User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It may have been adjusted originally - the human tendency to fiddle with things cannot be underestimated!  I've seen numerous gun store cowboys fiddle with knobs on guns, scopes, etc - so it's entirely possible Kel-Tec adjusted it and then someone finger-fvcked it

Definitely take the time to adjust it before writing it off!  Kel-Tec has been very responsive in my experience so if you DO have trouble with the butt pad or anything else, drop them a line and see.

Or not, just send the rifle my way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assumed it would run out of the box because Kel Tec states in the user manual that it's adjust from the factory to run milspec ammo.

It may have been adjusted originally - the human tendency to fiddle with things cannot be underestimated!  I've seen numerous gun store cowboys fiddle with knobs on guns, scopes, etc - so it's entirely possible Kel-Tec adjusted it and then someone finger-fvcked it

Definitely take the time to adjust it before writing it off!  Kel-Tec has been very responsive in my experience so if you DO have trouble with the butt pad or anything else, drop them a line and see.

I'm gonna give it another chance but if it has issues still I'll just sell it locally. If I can't rely on it... it doesn't get a home here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm gonna give it another chance but if it has issues still I'll just sell it locally. If I can't rely on it... it doesn't get a home here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assumed it would run out of the box because Kel Tec states in the user manual that it's adjust from the factory to run milspec ammo.

It takes a few seconds to open it all the way up. Turn it all the way left(direction of the + arrow) and leave it unless you are going to shoot suppressed. The difference in recoil/muzzle rise between half gas and full is next to nothing. Its not way over gassed even with full power 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shot mine today and double feed after double feed. Putting it up for sale ASAP.
View Quote

Bummer, any theories as to the cause?  
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shot mine today and double feed after double feed. Putting it up for sale ASAP.

Most likely improper gas adjustment. If Guncollector12 does decide to sell it I hope he tells the prospective new owner about the issue.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife and I put another 210rds through my RDB yesterday. Finally had my first malfunction on the fourth mag, but I'm attributing that to the shitty steel ammo, not the gun. Extractor ripped a chunk of the rim off the case. Figured around 500 rounds of steel had finally gummed up the chamber and I was going to have to hammer it out. Dropped the cleaning rod down the barrel and the weight of it knocked it right out with no effort. Inspected the case and along with the chunk missing, there was a visible fracture around the remaining 3/4 of the case. I could have easily pulled the rest off with pliers. Can't say I've seen a case failure like that before.

Shot through the rest of the mags with no issues. I've lost count of the exact round count though. I had some friends shooting it with their own mags. I'm at 570rds plus at least another couple mags my buddies shot through it. No cleaning.

If I can find another one for under a grand I'll probably pick one up for the wife. She's definitely a fan.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most likely improper gas adjustment. If Guncollector12 does decide to sell it I hope he tells the prospective new owner about the issue.
View Quote

Yes probably just needs more gas. When they double feed it is a pain to clear because of the design.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only one who thinks that clearing a malfunction or stoppage on the RDB is easier than that of an AR or Tavor?

Both the AR and Tavor pretty much require three hands to lock open the bolt. One hand supporting the rifle, one hand pulling the
charging handle, and a way to depress the bolt hold open button. The fact that the RDB allows one to lock the bolt open by simply pulling
back on the charging handle and rotating up allows me to clear any misfires much faster than on an AR or Tavor.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who thinks that clearing a malfunction or stoppage on the RDB is easier than that of an AR or Tavor?

Both the AR and Tavor pretty much require three hands to lock open the bolt. One hand supporting the rifle, one hand pulling the
charging handle, and a way to depress the bolt hold open button. The fact that the RDB allows one to lock the bolt open by simply pulling
back on the charging handle and rotating up allows me to clear any misfires much faster than on an AR or Tavor.
View Quote

You're right, but I disagree about the AR; it's not hard at all the lock the bolt. Magwell grip with offhand, press bolt catch, then rack the charging handle with trigger hand.

Tavor/X95 is a PITA, though.

RDB is easy to lock the bolt, but it's a bitch to get into the magwell or ejection port to clear a double feed. Also difficult to ID what type of malfunction you've got, but the design should make FTE's rare, if not impossible, after the gun is dialed in.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wife and I put another 210rds through my RDB yesterday. Finally had my first malfunction on the fourth mag, but I'm attributing that to the shitty steel ammo, not the gun. Extractor ripped a chunk of the rim off the case. Figured around 500 rounds of steel had finally gummed up the chamber and I was going to have to hammer it out. Dropped the cleaning rod down the barrel and the weight of it knocked it right out with no effort. Inspected the case and along with the chunk missing, there was a visible fracture around the remaining 3/4 of the case. I could have easily pulled the rest off with pliers. Can't say I've seen a case failure like that before.

Shot through the rest of the mags with no issues. I've lost count of the exact round count though. I had some friends shooting it with their own mags. I'm at 570rds plus at least another couple mags my buddies shot through it. No cleaning.

If I can find another one for under a grand I'll probably pick one up for the wife. She's definitely a fan.http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66797/IMG-20161203-160420-100336.JPG
View Quote

Your wife has no fear of brass burns... Tough lady.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Th0r, have you cleaned the chamber with a brush?
That's the problem I had with my bullpups and steel cased ammo. Aside from steel cased ammo ripping the extractor in my MSAR.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't get why people use steel cased ammo in their 5.56 rifles. And even further, why they complain of
misfires once they do.  It seems like there is ample evidence that steel cased ammo can be problematic at times.
I've only ever fired brass cased ammo because I've heard too many stories of people having trouble with steel.
Like anything, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky, but not always.

Whenever I let a friend borrow a 5.56 rifle of mine, I always tell them they can shoot whatever they want
out of it, as long as it's not steel cased or reloaded ammo, and I've never had any problems.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Th0r, have you cleaned the chamber with a brush?
That's the problem I had with my bullpups and steel cased ammo. Aside from steel cased ammo ripping the extractor in my MSAR.
View Quote

Not yet. I want to keep running it to see if it was a fluke/bad round, or if it just got too gritty in there. If it does it again, I'll run a brush. I put another 60rds down it this weekend and didn't have any issues.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't get why people use steel cased ammo in their 5.56 rifles. And even further, why they complain of
misfires once they do.  It seems like there is ample evidence that steel cased ammo can be problematic at times.
I've only ever fired brass cased ammo because I've heard too many stories of people having trouble with steel.
Like anything, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky, but not always.

Whenever I let a friend borrow a 5.56 rifle of mine, I always tell them they can shoot whatever they want
out of it, as long as it's not steel cased or reloaded ammo, and I've never had any problems.
View Quote

Ever since I stopped shooting that lacquer coated shit, I've never had any real issues with steel. The reason I shoot steel is because I can't afford to shot brass at the same volume. $200 for steel vs $290+ for brass per 1000rds. Steel used to be complete garbage, but now the most I get is a dozen light-strikes per case, so no big deal really. The AR I built has run steel exclusively, my MSAR ran mostly steel. The ripped case in the RDB was the first real issue I've had in well over 6000rds of Tula steel. The accuracy is pretty terrible though. No denying that. I rarely shoot past 25 yards though and shoot for speed so it doesn't bother me. I'll shoot quality ammo if I'm shooting past 100rds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I know the French FAMAS bullpup primarily used steel cased 5.56 ammo due to having trouble using brass.

Due to school work, I generally don't have enough time to shoot often. Thus, my ammo expenses are fairly low.
Come winter and summer break, I will be shooting up a storm, lol.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Another 180rds down the pipe. Finally ran into a "fit & finish"  issue with the gun. The screws that hold the polymer cheek rest on the dust cover have shot loose. No threadlock present. I got lucky and noticed a screw sitting on the ground while packing up. When I got home I noticed 3 of the 4 screws were missing. Might be worth you guys checking your guns to make sure they are tight. Top right in the pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll hold off for a gen or 2 for refinements and production to ramp up.   Went w/ a 300BO pistol (with can eventually) and will consider RDB in future.   I did that with KSG and mine has worked out fine so far.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ever since I stopped shooting that lacquer coated shit, I've never had any real issues with steel. The reason I shoot steel is because I can't afford to shot brass at the same volume. $200 for steel vs $290+ for brass per 1000rds. Steel used to be complete garbage, but now the most I get is a dozen light-strikes per case, so no big deal really. The AR I built has run steel exclusively, my MSAR ran mostly steel. The ripped case in the RDB was the first real issue I've had in well over 6000rds of Tula steel. The accuracy is pretty terrible though. No denying that. I rarely shoot past 25 yards though and shoot for speed so it doesn't bother me. I'll shoot quality ammo if I'm shooting past 100rds.
View Quote

I find that my RDB(1/9) is 2.5 to 3 moa with decent ammo (64g gdsp).  It's nowhere near the accuracy of my AR'S but not any worse than any other bullpup I have shot or owned (Tavor,  AUG, MSAR,FS2000) . What are you getting with yours? Also , I have found that resting the (handguard) barrel on anything while prone negatively affects accuracy.  The profile of the barrel is my only real complaint so far.

Had Keltec opted for a 16 inch barrel with a medium profile...accuracy could have been much improved.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I find that my RDB(1/9) is 2.5 to 3 moa with decent ammo (64g gdsp).  It's nowhere near the accuracy of my AR'S but not any worse than any other bullpup I have shot or owned (Tavor,  AUG, MSAR,FS2000) . What are you getting with yours? Also , I have found that resting the (handguard) barrel on anything while prone negatively affects accuracy.  The profile of the barrel is my only real complaint so far.

Had Keltec opted for a 16 inch barrel with a medium profile...accuracy could have been much improved.
View Quote

I haven't measured, but I was able to cover a 4 shot group with a quarter @ 50yds with 75 grain Hornady Superperformance. I did fire 5 shots, but I pulled the 3rd one and it went way right. I had it resting near the back of the hand guard for the reasons you mentioned. The new zinc coated Tula 62gr shoots usually shootsunder 1.5" @ 50yrds...measured with using length of my thumb tip to the first joint which I know is the same. I do get some fliers here and there, but not bad for cheap bulk. The 55gr wolf I shot was garbage, but good enough for CQ speed drills. Old Tula 55gr wasn't much better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#20]
2nd Range Trip:
Hey guys, I am now up to a total of 210 rounds! 90 steel casings and 120 brass. I have still had ZERO malfunctions since the initial tuning of the gas system. This thing runs like a champ! I would like to be shooting higher round counts but I just can't keep up with some of you guys, especially with Christmas coming up. Thor, I checked my cheek rest screws and they're already loose. I'll be applying some lock-tite to those and any other loose screws I can find. With that being said, I love everything else about this gun. I haven't cleaned a thing on it yet and it's still as clean as a whistle compared to an AR at the same round count. I zeroed it at 25 yards today but didn't do any accuracy shooting. Just zeroed and shot at a 150 yards steel target. As soon as I get a chance I'll measure some groups at 100 yards for you guys. I'll keep you updated. 
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#21]
 < edited, not tech - HS >
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
That range pic looks like shoot straight in casselberry! Anyways I finally took my RDB out and shot around 200rds for a quick after dinner break in and sure enough had zero problems.  I am an idiot and did not read the manual I just turned the gas setting all the way to where it locked back first shot and kept turning it until it no longer locked back then I clicked over twice to be safe.  I love how soft of a shooter it is and the weight is awesome!  Really want to step it outdoors to the 100yrd range with my PA 1-6 to shoot for groups. So far its abount 1-2inch at 25 using a black target/black sightpost :DOH:  I am really liking it so far (also good job on the marker tip im going to do mine next time I take it out since that was a concern.)

by the way if it wasn't already said reach out to kel tec and have them send you out the free upgraded extractor pin (the old ones fell out and got bent)

she runs clean

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone needs to do a head to head target comparison at 100 yards between the rdb and x95.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't have an X95 but from what I have seen the X95 doesn't stand a chance against my RDB.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't have an X95 but from what I have seen the X95 doesn't stand a chance against my RDB.
View Quote

Yea I was excited about the x95 but after watching some reviews on accuracy it kind of made me less excited. It's still a nice pup but I am also not thrilled about the prospect of sending it to the factory just to get a left hand bolt install should I pick up a new one configured for a right hander.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#26]
More and more I see at least 1 RDB in my safe.....now if only my distributor or choice would get them in stock
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#27]
This guy averaged 1.7 MOA and it really looks like he pulled some of his shots too. He had one group sub MOA.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f119/rdb-accuracy-thread-267017/
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I haven't measured, but I was able to cover a 4 shot group with a quarter @ 50yds with 75 grain Hornady Superperformance. I did fire 5 shots, but I pulled the 3rd one and it went way right. I had it resting near the back of the hand guard for the reasons you mentioned. The new zinc coated Tula 62gr shoots usually shootsunder 1.5" @ 50yrds...measured with using length of my thumb tip to the first joint which I know is the same. I do get some fliers here and there, but not bad for cheap bulk. The 55gr wolf I shot was garbage, but good enough for CQ speed drills. Old Tula 55gr wasn't much better.
View Quote

Seems like your going to getting about the same accuracy. Most of my 5 to 8 shot groups were under 2.5 moa
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top