Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2016 10:36:42 AM EDT
Had my first AUG malfunction; 99% sure it was ammunition-related.
Bolt-over-base jam bent the round almost 90 deg. below the shoulder.
Was using bulk-pack Federal .223 Remington from Walmart, factory AUG mag.
I noticed that the ejection pattern was between 1-3 o'clock with the Fed .223 loads.
NATO-pressure ammo typically ejects 4-5 o'clock in the same gun.
I'm suspecting an under-loaded round didn't have enough ass to fully cycle the action.
I've read in other threads that the Federal .223 is notoriously low-powered.
Does anybody set the gas system to "adverse" when shooting .223-spec loads?
The long-term fix will be using 5.56 NATO ammo, but I have a few more .223 boxes to get rid of.
Just wanted to make sure I'm not going to damage anything running a few 100 rounds on adverse.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be the statistical outlier, but my A3 will run wolf on the normal setting.

Is your rifle new? My rifle had wickedly stout recoil springs when new. I locked it open for like 2 weeks and it did the trick.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is your rifle new? My rifle had wickedly stout recoil springs when new. I locked it open for like 2 weeks and it did the trick.
View Quote

Pretty low-mileage, only about 300rds through it so far.
I'm still curious if it's OK to run on adverse for another 2-300rds though.
Or should I just load up a few 42-rd mags with M855 to fully break-in?
Would love to hear from the old hands; when do you/should you use "adverse" setting?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I may be the statistical outlier, but my A3 will run wolf on the normal setting.

View Quote

I use to own an MSAR that had no issues running wolf on standard gas, my brand NIB Steyr Aug M1 ran wolf and tula no problem right outside the box.

ETA: The Steyr Aug is a very hardy machine. You won't hurt it by running gas on the adverse setting. Wear will increase, but it's an extremely solid rifle - you won't hurt it

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had some problems using Tula ammo. Used adverse position and that help with that weak ammo to run.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:you won't hurt it
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

My new nato jammed up like op's and its been sitting.
I need to try that thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
My A3 only runs on Nato ammo in the adverse setting.  (Estimate 300-500rds of South African M193 and Federal M855)
Exact bolt over round jam, if not held tight into shoulder.
Standard setting its a single shot, no ejection of fired case.

Any tips or should I call Steyr?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i get this kind of jam if use US made AUG mags (they have a clear square around the round count number) in my A1.  Austrian mags and pmags run 100%
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had some problems using Tula ammo. Used adverse position and that help with that weak ammo to run.
View Quote

I had failure to lock open on a empty mag with Tula. Switching the gas to adverse fixed it.

Zero problems with hotter ammo on standard setting.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:28:10 AM EDT
[#10]
never really had to run adverse on my Aug but I mostly run suppressed these days.  However, had to run my FS2000 on adverse for some 223 loads.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I had Tula Ammo get a case stuck and tear off the rim which has been fairly normal when shooting new guns where the chamber isn't very slick. Any place for carbon to grab will cause steel case to possibly stick. A little light polishing will eliminate this issue, instead I've just switched to strictly brass cased ammo. I may try it again after shooting the gun a good deal more.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Not the same rifle, but the same design: my MSAR STG-E4 will reliably shoot steel cased .223 on the normal setting. I'd imagine you just had a fluke malfunction. Every rifle in the world can have them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Update:
I put another ~160 rounds of Federal .223 through the AUG with gas set to "adverse".  It functioned 100%.  Once I get rid of this .223 Rem stuff, I'll stick to 5.56mm-pressure loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top