Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2016 10:46:38 PM EDT

Just did a trade for an AUG (A3 M1, 1.5x optic, NATO stock).  I haven't been this excited about a new gun in a long time.  Its been one of my grail guns and I figured with this election it may be now or never.

So I'm trying to figure out what parts are most susceptible to wear and breakage and what spares I should just go buy now to keep the gun running good for years to come?

Also, any favorite loads for your AUG?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Already installed.  

Previous owner said thats in the gun, but he's including the factory sear.

Any reason to get a complete spare bolt, or is bolt breakage with the AUG pretty rare?

I'm a spare parts hoarder when it comes to the AR, but with the price of AUG stuff, I'm going to have to be a little more selective.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
A spare bolt is good to have.

If you really want to feel set, find a stock, hammerpack, carrier group, and barrel. But then you're in trouble as that will turn into another AUG.

You'll find that the AUG is a finely engineered machine that is boringly reliable.

Enjoy your new gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Is anyone else NOT seeing $160.00 worth of parts laying there?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That'd be $320 of parts if it was for an HK.  $30 of parts if was for an AR15.  They'd pay you to take it if it was for an AK.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much agree with what has already been stated.

Start with a small parts kit (yes it's stupid expensive, welcome to the world of Steyr/bullpups) and a bolt.

I think those 2 things are mandatory.

Then you can add a spare hammer pack, bcg, barrel, etc. This will depend on your finances and how much you shoot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You do not need any spare parts
Your Steyr Aug will run for years and thousands of rounds and nothing will break
Just like mine has done
I clean it after every time I shoot it and apply oil as per the manual.
It is as rugged and reliable as any AK
In the unlikely event anything does break, order it from PJ Steyr Aug

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thoughts or opinions on the Ratworx hybrid bolt instead of a factory Styer one?

Also, I just saw Ratworx has 24" barrels.  Does anyone make or sell an AUG LMG bipod to go with it?

Goddamn.  This thing could get expensive fast.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
No kidding.
I just realized I've picked up another aug, therefore, I need another sear and spare parts kit. Crap!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That'd be $320 of parts if it was for an HK.  $30 of parts if was for an AR15.  They'd pay you to take it if it was for an AK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol.

Just as another data point, the small parts spares set for the Tavor is roughly the same parts and it cost me $55 shipped from IWI.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol.

Just as another data point, the small parts spares set for the Tavor is roughly the same parts and it cost me $55 shipped from IWI.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Well, both SPK are still cheaper than an SPK for an FS2000. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

I'm not going to try to defend the price, but you're comparing domestically produced goods to European imported items. Not really an apple to apple comparison.p
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone here ever experienced or even heard off any parts breakage on an AUG? I researched it and came up with pretty much nothing. I found someone who quoted Pete Athens as saying that he had never seen a broken AUG bolt.

I was looking at picking up that spare parts kit but ended up buying another AUG
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm not going to try to defend the price, but you're comparing domestically produced goods to European imported items. Not really an apple to apple comparison.p
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol.

Yes, I see your point but my Tavor parts were produced in Israel, FWIW.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone here ever experienced or even heard off any parts breakage on an AUG? I researched it and came up with pretty much nothing. I found someone who quoted Pete Athens as saying that he had never seen a broken AUG bolt.

I was looking at picking up that spare parts kit but ended up buying another AUG
View Quote

Guy I shoot with has been running his AUG for about 25 years and roughly 20,000 rounds. He's broken a firing pin and bolt sleeve in that time. He did have to retire the rifle for a while as the barrel was completely shot out and the groups started looking like a shotgun pattern. One new barrel later and he's GTG.

I've got the factory spares kit and a spare barrel, so I'm feeling pretty well set.

AJ
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Guy I shoot with has been running his AUG for about 25 years and roughly 20,000 rounds. He's broken a firing pin and bolt sleeve in that time. He did have to retire the rifle for a while as the barrel was completely shot out and the groups started looking like a shotgun pattern. One new barrel later and he's GTG.

I've got the factory spares kit and a spare barrel, so I'm feeling pretty well set.

AJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

Anybody know what the expected barrel life of an AUG is? I'm fairly well set for AUG parts, but I don't have any spare barrels.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd be surprised if any quality, hardchromed  556 barrel shot the throat out in under 10,000 rounds of lasted 30,000.

Small bores and high velocities kill barrels and 556 NATO has both.

For some guys 10k rounds is a lifetime. For me, it's roughly 5-6 years of shooting, if I just shot one rifle the whole time.  

Barrels are a consumable, just like ammo.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, so true...
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 2 of those spare parts kits, I actually picked them up on various trades. Having said that..I've had my A1 since 1988 and have shot quite a bit. It's never broken or missed a beat..they are machines so your mileage may vary...
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have 2 of those spare parts kits, I actually picked them up on various trades. Having said that..I've had my A1 since 1988 and have shot quite a bit. It's never broken or missed a beat..they are machines so your mileage may vary...
View Quote

With well over 25,000 rounds through my first A3, the only parts change I have made was swapping the left-hand and right-hand bolts depending on who's getting behind the gun. I picked up the spare parts kit above a few years ago, but I've only opened the bag once to inventory it, and then I stashed it back away. I'd say that I ride it hard and put it up wet, but that's not true. It's just about always dry. I wipe it down and put a little lube on it about every 3k-5k rounds. The bore snake runs through it about every 1,500 rounds. I've never had to use the adverse setting, but i do always use quality brass-cased ammo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You do not need any spare parts
Your Steyr Aug will run for years and thousands of rounds and nothing will break
Just like mine has done
I clean it after every time I shoot it and apply oil as per the manual.
It is as rugged and reliable as any AK
In the unlikely event anything does break, order it from PJ Steyr Aug

View Quote

Parts breakage isn't really an issue, but parts LOSS can be.
I've not known anyone who has actually broken anything, but I have known a few who butterfingered while cleaning and another who's little boy dumped a bin with some parts (wanted to use it as a garage for his Hot Wheels).

The AUG factory spares kit along with a gas sytem kit should be socked away for emergencies IMO.
Likely never to be needed, but reassuring to have just in case.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I've read more than a couple accounts of people launching their gas regulator downrange because it wasn't installed properly.

That could happen to anyone if they aren't paying attention, and without the regulator your gun is permanently down. Might want to add one of those to the list.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've read more than a couple accounts of people launching their gas regulator downrange because it wasn't installed properly.

That could happen to anyone if they aren't paying attention, and without the regulator your gun is permanently down. Might want to add one of those to the list.
View Quote

Will do.  Lord knows I've lost enough AR parts by launching them across the room (detents & springs anyone?)

I've only had my AUGs for about two weeks now, but they are quickly becoming one of my favorite guns and getting a lot of use.  Maybe thats just the novelty of a new gun, but I don't think it is.  I've got enough spares to keep my ARs functioning long beyond my time on Earth; want to do the same with my AUGs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top