Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 1:25:47 PM EDT
I haven't been keeping up to date. So I was wondering if anyone has like they did for the A3?

I ask, because last year when I bought a 9mm kit I decided to to try and find an A3 receiver or buy another AUG of some type to make a dedicated 9mm AUG. I couldn't find any lone receivers or regular A3 for decent prices. So I bought and A3 M1 with the "long rail" and have been using that. But if I could find something similar to the A3 rail (especially the long/high military rail) that would be awesome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I really appreciate the versatility that the m1 offers. The one thing it lacks is what the A3 had - lengthy rail space at an optimum height for optic mounts. Steyr has something, the AUG CL, but will we ever see it?

I've spoken to some about the need for an aftermarket rail for the m1. Full A3 length rearward, same height over comb, and same style (don't go crazy trying to make it snazzy, just make it look like it could come from the factory that way).

From other forums online, you and I are definitely not the only people with this same gripe, but unless people talk to a manufacturer about it, it probably won't happen. Heck, there's even someone from Steyr (with pull to get things done) in this very subforum, and though they see the need and people's desires for something better, unless you get on the phone with them or send out an email, it can't be justified...

I also think that the A3 receiver should come back, if even as a limited run - something else to voice your opinion on if you want it to happen.

Couple years ago Pete had some A3 receivers made and sold them all. The price was reasonable and I should have bought more than I did. Actually ended up selling it to a friend who needed a receiver for his 9mm kit...
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Heads up. According to Pete he's been working on a rail and should have one soon. He did tell me this recently but it looks like a done deal now. Hence the update. If you want to know more, you know how to reach him.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heads up. According to Pete he's been working on a rail and should have one soon. He did tell me this recently but it looks like a done deal now. Hence the update. If you want to know more, you know how to reach him.
View Quote

whats the details on the rail?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very interesting development. I hope he posts info about it soon since that might work better than a bunch of us calling him about it. Recently I've been thinking about what I could do to somewhat replicate the A3 rail on my A3M1 with a short rail. I had some ideas, but they all had some downsides over a dedicated replacement rail.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure he will talk about something he's going to sell. Arfcom has a pretty strict policy on that sort of thing.

If I hear from him tomorrow or later I can update. He is looking at a couple options.

What I told him I'd like to see is almost exactly what is described above. He seemed to like that idea both times I mentioned it. Obviously it is ultimately up to them what it will end up as, so it could change depending on anything.

If you have a different opinion, it'd probably be a good idea to voice it..
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
That makes sense on not wanting to break site rules.

I guess what you described for a rail, full A3 length rearward, same height over comb, and same style is pretty much what I'd like too. Part of me wishes it could also go forward the receiver to the front of the gasblock like my old A3, but I'm guessing the sling mount on the receiver makes that a no-go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really appreciate the versatility that the m1 offers. The one thing it lacks is what the A3 had - lengthy rail space at an optimum height for optic mounts. Steyr has something, the AUG CL, but will we ever see it?

I've spoken to some about the need for an aftermarket rail for the m1. Full A3 length rearward, same height over comb, and same style (don't go crazy trying to make it snazzy, just make it look like it could come from the factory that way).

From other forums online, you and I are definitely not the only people with this same gripe, but unless people talk to a manufacturer about it, it probably won't happen. Heck, there's even someone from Steyr (with pull to get things done) in this very subforum, and though they see the need and people's desires for something better, unless you get on the phone with them or send out an email, it can't be justified...

I also think that the A3 receiver should come back, if even as a limited run - something else to voice your opinion on if you want it to happen.

Couple years ago Pete had some A3 receivers made and sold them all. The price was reasonable and I should have bought more than I did. Actually ended up selling it to a friend who needed a receiver for his 9mm kit...
View Quote

Yeah, no doubt the versatility of the  m1 receiver is awesome. You've got the commercial short rail (which is useless in IMO), the longer rail like on my 9mm. I like the looks and it ain't horrible, but it could be 4-6 slots longer for better functionality. And then the commercial or SF O scopes. Plus you've got the slightly shorter height of the SF model. And then the CL like you mentioned. Which I remember was pretty awesome. Integrated folding irons, slightly shorter in the front but just as long in the back and as high as the A3 military rail. The CL rail would be fantastic. I kept trying to find out who ordered that rail configuration with the NATO stock. But no dice on that one.

I think Steyr did a great job overall with all the options for the commercial market with the  m1. But whiffed on a few things. I just wish the scopes were the same as the SF. But as I understand it. The Austrian SF wanted to have the familiarity of the scope system. But allow a better view with a red dot. Which is why the SF scope is where it is. And the SF O/commerical scope is roughly ten milimeters higher. Which is just about perfect for using it as a primary optic. But makes the use of even a low mounting red dot a bit too high. Still useable , but a bit high. I'd have to go and measure my A1 and my  m1 with the scope to see what if any height difference there. Cause the Austrian military/SF used to mount red dots on  top of the old A1 scope housings.

Yeah I get it. The cost can easily be prohibitive and quickly when it comes to AUG accessories. When it comes to factory Steyr products, especially from Austria, nothing ain't cheap. And the market for the AUG is probably pretty small in the USA, all things considered. Heck, the Tavor I bet probably sells more nowadays. And it's a lot newer to the market. So if Steyr doesn't know of demand, it ain't gonna happen. Heck it seemed like there was demand for different barrel lengths. And it took Steyr Arms and others a long as time to dump all their 24, I8 and 20 inch barrels in the end.

The A3 receiver/gun coming back would be great. But yeah, is there any demand overall for it?

Yea, I remember Pete having the A3 receivers a while back. I didn't get one at the time. Wish I had. :D Would have saved me some cash for my 9mm project in the long :D. But just decided I'd buy another  m1 and use the receiver and keep the rest of the gun for parts or sell what I didn't want. But again, the only decent non optic  m1 rail available. Is barely decent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds promising.

I may drop him a line this week
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The "short rail" is kind of lame. I have one just to have one, but soon found the perfect optic for it.

An aimpoint with the right mount would be fine on it too, but I had some Cmore sights (this plastic version and an aluminum version) sitting around collecting dust. The Cmore units fit perfectly with the rail and riser. The massive field of view is perfect for a 9mm AUG and it's very fast as many already know regarding the Cmore sights. The downside of the sight is its complicated zeroing procedure and the sights aren't on the same level of robustness as other quality reddot sights.

I once had the chance to discuss with someone at Steyr about the rails on the M1. The rails Steyr offers are pretty much due to cost perspectives. They wanted to offer the gun at the most competitive price point. If you have followed m1 prices (not now), you'd have noticed that the short rail is a $1600 gun. The longrail a bit more, and of course the optic versions at 2000ish.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess what you described for a rail, full A3 length rearward, same height over comb, and same style is pretty much what I'd like too. Part of me wishes it could also go forward the receiver to the front of the gasblock like my old A3, but I'm guessing the sling mount on the receiver makes that a no-go.
View Quote

If you have a rail extend over the hump then you just went to a lot of trouble to try to recreate the A3. May as well mill the hump off and make your own A3 at that point.

Personally I never stuck anything at the farthest forward point of the A3 rail. I'll be happy to have an M1 as described. It'd be like the A3 but more versatile.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you have a rail extend over the hump then you just went to a lot of trouble to try to recreate the A3. May as well mill the hump off and make your own A3 at that point.

Personally I never stuck anything at the farthest forward point of the A3 rail. I'll be happy to have an M1 as described. It'd be like the A3 but more versatile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what you're saying. I guess I thought if it could somehow be made as a drop-in option vs modifying an M1 receiver I'd prefer it. As to why do I want the rail that long? I'd like at least one AUG with a  red dot on it, but I'd like a set of back up irons to go with it. A longer rail would be preferred in that case. I suppose I could just pull the ACOG off my old A3 and use it if I wanted to do that. Yeah, my ideal rail would be recreating the A3 on the A3M1, but outside of the factory optic option on the M1 which are kind of neat, after getting a short rail A3M1 I was left wishing Steyr would have stuck with making plain old A3's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Although I really like the M1 and do find it a better overall receiver than all previous AUG's, the A3 offers rail space that no other AUG provides.

It's my opinion that Steyr could and should sell both the A3 and M1 at the same time. Offer two basic versions of the AUG, the A3 with rail (as before) and the M1 with scope housing. Easily doable and everyone is happy.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The lack of rail space has kept me from buying an M1.

My standard carbine carries an Aimpoint, 3xMag, IR laser, and BUIS.  No way to fit that, as it currently sits.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The lack of rail space has kept me from buying an M1.

My standard carbine carries an Aimpoint, 3xMag, IR laser, and BUIS.  No way to fit that, as it currently sits.
View Quote

Hopefully a new product will hurry up and get here...
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the exact dilema I am in. I sold my A3 like an idiot and want another but I can't seem to find one. So I am debating buying the M1 but I want to run BUIS with my aimpoint. Is there enough real estate to do that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
In a word, no. Sure you can fit an Aimpoint on the "High Long" M1 rail and then squeeze a set of BUIS on but they are nearly useless. I am running such a setup but the space between front and rear irons are about compact pistol distance.

I am in need of more rail-estate for the BUIS as my job requires qualification with both any optic and BUIS. As mentioned there are a couple of pending projects to remedy this but the only one I have any knowledge of is just setting up production later this month. Hopefully that means we'll have an option after the first of the year.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting. How could Steyr get the concept of BUIS so wrong?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Most don't see a need for them when the aimpoint is so reliable now.
Iron sights are useless to me.
I run a 1x4 vortex PST on my Aug with the short rail and can use it like a RDS or scope.
I've found the rifle accurate enough to make good use of the 4X at extended range.
It's real easy to take the scope off and put an aimpoint on if needed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#19]
My Sabre A3 has a Troy front BUIS, ARMs 40LP rear BUIS
Aimpoint (no magnifier but could add one)
....still have rail left. Length of rail is good for irons - if you're shooting for
Minute of Man instead of Minute of Angle

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interesting. How could Steyr get the concept of BUIS so wrong?
View Quote
I ascribe it to the typical European overconfidence in engineering and technology.  It's the only explanation as the AUG is one DAMN FINE MACHINE otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top