Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 9:25:35 PM EDT
Bought off Gunbroker from Birmingham Pistol, shipped the next day and was in my hands a few days later. Price was good and also came with 3 mags instead of the usual one. I bought an additional x4 factory 42 rounders and x3 factory 30 rounders. I also picked up one of the new Magpul 30 rounders just to compare. Actually, mag changes with the Magpul mag are a little easier to insert and release.

First off, I have to say how impressed I was with the AUG before I even fired it. The balance, pointability, build quality and how simple it is to field strip the weapon. When I first picked it up I knew I made the right choice buying this rifle.

So I take it to the range today and start off at the 50 yard line to check zero. Well there was no zero, the rifle was hitting about 2 feet high and 4 feet right. I am a little dissapointed in Steyr for shipping a $2k+ gun with a factory mounted optic that wasnt at least bore sighted. Two mags later, I finally get it walked in onto paper and zero it at 50 yards, which I believe will give a 50/300 zero if im not mistaken. I fired about 200 rounds of M193, a mix of Winchester and Federal LC, zero malfunctions and was surprisingly accurate for cheap M193.

The factory 1.5x "donut of death" is a great optic. I wasn't impressed with it out of the box, but once I got it dialed in I was very surprised at how easy it was to get hits on target and transition to another target very quickly. Once I got it sighted in, I spent most of my remaining rounds blasting clays on the 50 and 75 yard berms. It was a blast and I was able to easily keep the same pace as my AR. The trigger took a little time to get used to but its not too bad for a bullpup. Definitely better than the FS 2000 or Tavor I handled. At the end of the day, I saved my last 5 rounds for the 100 yard range and to see what kind of group I could get.

Not too shabby for M193 and a 1.5x optic. I think I may have found my new favorite gun and I look forward to shooting a few more thousand rounds. Actually, im already thinking about getting another one.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Great looking rifle.  Thanks for the range report.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I take it to the range today and start off at the 50 yard line to check zero. Well there was no zero, the rifle was hitting about 2 feet high and 4 feet right. I am a little dissapointed in Steyr for shipping a $2k+ gun with a factory mounted optic that wasnt at least bore sighted.

View Quote

What is up with that?  Every single one comes that way.  It's such a sloppy aspect in the delivery of what is otherwise such an excellent gun.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Fortunately it's fairly easy to bore sight. My 1.5 was way off paper, pulled the barrel/receiver out of the stock, put the barrel back in, and dialed it onto paper quickly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]
back in the day, AUGs used to come with a target showing they were zero'd at the factory.  it was a 300m zero so the rounds hit high (in the white circle) at 100m

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is up with that?  Every single one comes that way.  It's such a sloppy aspect in the delivery of what is otherwise such an excellent gun.  
View Quote

Tested for function only. The scope housing with optic come from overseas, arrive and get bolted to the receiver. Ain't nobody got time for sighting in and providing a 100 meter target, although I will happily sign up to do so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tested for function only. The scope housing with optic come from overseas, arrive and get bolted to the receiver. Ain't nobody got time for sighting in and providing a 100 meter target, although I will happily sign up to do so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  It's not A BIG DEAL, but what an unnecessary negative for every new owner after they upbox their gleaming 2k purchase.  They go to the range, and every single new owners first shot reaction is: "Something is wrong here.  Is my gun defective?"   In the end, it's not, but why have every purchaser go through that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting it on paper is ridiculously easy if you know what you are doing.  

1 - Take a can of spray paint and make a white spot on the impact berm (in the dirt) at 100Y.

2 - Shoot at it.  If you can't see the impact, have someone spot it or record with your smart phone.  

3 - See how far you need to adjust elevation and windage and run the knobs accordingly.  

4 - Once you are hitting the white spot in the dirt, go to the paper target.  

This should take no more than five rounds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know who is making the factory scopes?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fair enough.  It's not A BIG DEAL, but what an unnecessary negative for every new owner after they upbox their gleaming 2k purchase.  They go to the range, and every single new owners first shot reaction is: "Something is wrong here.  Is my gun defective?"   In the end, it's not, but why have every purchaser go through that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was shooting at a target on the right edge of the berm and the bullets were hitting in the weeds at first. Definitely a "wtf" moment until I figured out what was going on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It hasn't been confirmed that I know of, but it's meopta.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, Meopta makes some nice optics. That is a pleasant surprise.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an aimpoint and a primary arms 6x mag on mine and I kind wish I just went with the aug optics...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top