Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 7:04:20 PM EDT
Never had a bullpup before and am thinking about getting one (or two) of the 3  listed below. I have heard the X95 may have accuracy issue while most people seem to be very happy with their Tavors, but I do like the ergonomic improvements of the X95. I think the AUG is timeless and have wanted one for a while, but it will be quite a bit more expensive once you factor in the additional mags.

Please decide for me, because I just keep going around in circles.

Price differentials shown below.

X95 +0
Tavor +40
AUG +100 +200 Mags

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have x95 & nato aug.
I heard the same about 95 accuracy after i started a layaway and had decided to keep it unfired and flip it in november.
When it arrived i like the way it felt and balances so nice i hit the range.
240rd no problem. It naturally points from the hip. Rapid fires fantastic.
The aug i honestly had doublefeeds & other malfunctions 1st time out.
Need to give it another chance. Might just be the gas setting, idk.
That was a year ago
Ps the 95 has sights the aug dosent.
Another cost factor.
The 95 trigger is beta

Yes i flipped the mount so the ch dosent hit the aimpoints knob.
After the bad range trip i put the pro on 1 of my 6920's
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have x95 & nato aug.
I heard the same about 95 accuracy after i started a layaway and had decided to keep it unfired and flip it in november.
That was a year ago
Another cost factor.
The 95 trigger is beta

View Quote

I really like the integral sights as well, as I am not made out of $$$.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have x95 & nato aug.
That was a year ago
Another cost factor.
The 95 trigger is beta

I think the AUG is a better gun, but it seems like you're trying to talk yourself out of one.

Which one do you really, deep inside, want? Get that one, whether it's cheaper or more expensive, whether it'll take more to set it up or not.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Write down your three choices on the backs of 3 separate cards.  Shuffle the cards.  Close your eyes.  Pick a card.  But in your mind, really pick it.  As in THIS IS GOING TO BE THE ONE.  So pick one.  Open your eyes.  

And what's your first reaction?  

There's your answer.

Because really - all of them will feed, function, and hit the paper.  6 months from now, you absolutely will not care nor remember a $100 differential between the choices.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Write down your three choices on the backs of 3 separate cards.  Shuffle the cards.  Close your eyes.  Pick a card.
View Quote

That sounds like a sure-fire path to buyer's remorse, if you ask me. My advice, find a way to be able to handle them. Best if you can actually shoot them, but just fondling one at a local fun store is better than picking a random card from a pile or going off of mass opinion from a forum.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That sounds like a sure-fire path to buyer's remorse, if you ask me. My advice, find a way to be able to handle them. Best if you can actually shoot them, but just fondling one at a local fun store is better than picking a random card from a pile or going off of mass opinion from a forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Write down your three choices on the backs of 3 separate cards.  Shuffle the cards.  Close your eyes.  Pick a card.

I think you're missing Lazy's actual advise.  He's trying to get the OP to tap into whatever personal preference he already has... if he picks a card and is disappointed that he drew that option, then that should tell him to eliminate that one because he won't be happy with it.  

...of course this may not really work if you approach the exercise from that angle to begin with
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think you're missing Lazy's actual advise.  He's trying to get the OP to tap into whatever personal preference he already has... if he picks a card and is disappointed that he drew that option, then that should tell him to eliminate that one because he won't be happy with it.  

...of course this may not really work if you approach the exercise from that angle to begin with
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  Your reaction after the decision was made, will tell you if that's the decision you really want to make.  And at this point, one has time to change their mind.  It's a mind-game, because you have to convince yourself before the card is drawn, that the result is really going be your choice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#8]
is there a reason you're not considering a NATO AUG + using your existing pile of ar15 mags ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My X95 shoots like a breeze, and IMO, the gun wasn't designed around long range accuracy. CQB distances are where it really shines, and although it didn't need it, the Geissele Super Sabra and Lightning bow made my trigger very similar to the SSA-E in my Franken AR. With all that said, I can hit steel silhouettes at 200 yards with a red dot just fine.

I've shot and handled a few AUGs and I was not impressed with the ergonomics of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Based on your initial post you want an AUG. Get the AUG.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
is there a reason you're not considering a NATO AUG + using your existing pile of ar15 mags ?
View Quote

I'm a X95 owner, but I have the same question as LEON_Carol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I have read it is a red headed AUG StepChild that loses a couple of features, such as BHO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
the original AUG had no bolt hold open, neither do AKs unless you run specific BHO mags.

I will take running the charging handle over buying all new mags, it's even on the correct side with the AUG... but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From what I have read it is a red headed AUG StepChild that loses a couple of features, such as BHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
the original AUG had no bolt hold open, neither do AKs unless you run specific BHO mags.

I will take running the charging handle over buying all new mags, it's even on the correct side with the AUG... but that's just my opinion.

You both are sadly misinformed. This keeps getting posted on a regular basis here and does a huge disservice to potential newcomers to the bullpup arena. Every version of the Steyr Aug has a BHO, or will lock the bolt back after the last round is fired from the magazine whether it uses Steyr mags or Stanag(Ar-15) mags. The current generation Aug A3 and A3M1 that uses Steyr Mags has a bolt release, or a lever on the side of the rifle that you actuate to drop the bolt. The Nato Aug, the A1, A2 and USR all lack a bolt release(the lever on the side to drop the bolt), and must use the charging handle to drop the bolt home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NATO AUG has a BHO just like every other AUG, it just doesn't have the bolt release because the STANAG mag mechanics are in the way. You must pull back the charging handle and let her fly to chamber a new round from a fresh mag.

You lose one of the two trigger bars (also because of the mag retention system), which isn't the issue that some might let you believe, and you lose the left ejection port. By going with the standard AUG configuration, you gain both of those things plus the bolt release, and you get to use arguably the best 5.56 mags available.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok - truth be told, I really want the X95. It has all the features I am looking for an I like the slightly smaller size than the SAR.

BUT - the accuracy reports have my slightly turned off and I feel like I might just settle on the SAR. The problem is I feel like it isnt as good of a value as the X95 (because for some reason I can get the X95 cheaper than the SAR).

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#17]
AUG NATO
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't consider the X95 to be a product improvement over the Tavor ... Just another variation.
I prefer the Tavor over the X95 and if you watch most of the big YouTube reviewers no one is dumping their Tavors in favor of the X95.
It's not that the X95 is not accurate, quite the contrary - it is - BUT ... It does not shoot accurately consistently.... 1+ MOA groups one set and 3-4 MOA groups the  next...that is not what I am wanting in a $1800 rifle...
My Tavor shoots consistent groups as long as I do my part...and I actually prefer the mag release of the Tavor over the 95..it simply works...

As far as the AUG - go OEM on mags.... Steyr waffle mags are far superior to AR style and giving up the bolt release on the AUG is a mistake... You can find the factory mags on sale often ....and Magpul has just released their own AUG mags if you want to save a few dollars.
If you need a rifle that has an AR style mag release, that uses AR mags, with an AR type trigger - save a lot of anguish and get an AR...

Between the 2 (Tavor/AUG)  - I think I would choose the Tavor simply because I like the long stroke gas system - and AK inspired bolt.
The marketplace is full of add ons and the Tavor has an affordable caliber conversion....
Tavor balances better than the AUG but the AUG feels more "solid"....when shouldered.
I own and shoot both...
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I have decided. ETA: We will see in the morning...

To get an Arsenal Sam7SF Plum.

I have always wanted an AK and can get the gun 6 extra mags and 1000rds of 7.62 for the price of just the SAR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best advice so far. I've owned Steyr Augs for over 20 years and still own two. I bought one of the first Tavor's when they first came out sight unseen. I was pretty excited until I pulled the trigger. It's a skinny trigger like an AR15 trigger, but, the problem is that the pull was easily 9-10 lbs which is almost double that of an AR15. The second problem was when I mounted an EoTech Holosight on the top rail. That top rail is set way too low. I had to uncomfortably contort my head and neck to be able to get a cheek weld. And, just because it comes with flip up backup sights, I wouldn't get too excited about them. They are backup sights. Most will want to mount a dot (like an Aimpoint), a Holosight, or an optical sight for actual, everyday shooting. And, look at the Nato stock Aug if you already have a number of AR15 magazines.

In any event, these things may not interest you and you may actually like the Tavor as is. But, go to a store and actually handle the Tavor and a Steyr Aug before you buy one or the other. If possible, shoot both and then make an informed decision. Buying sight unseen like I did cost me $500 after I finally sold it at a huge loss.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have always wanted an AK and can get the gun 6 extra mags and 1000rds of 7.62 for the price of just the SAR.
View Quote

The SAM7 Arsenals are excellent quality AK's if that is
what you're in the market for.
I've owned plenty of AK's in the past from Norincos/Polys
Valmets etc.... but personally for the caliber, a 1950's Russian
SKS will basically give you the same performance for a lot less.
Maybe a lot less cool factor but I can live with that for a fatter wallet
The Russian used a lot of milled components and used lamintated stocks.
The Military Arms Channel did a review on the Arsenal SAM7SF. I liked the
ambi-selector..very smiliar to the IWI Galil..

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Russian SKS used a lot of milled components.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russian SKS used a lot of milled components.

The Sam 7 is a great rifle but man they are expensive for an AK and they shoot no better (well maybe marginally better) than a basic WASR. I bought an SLR 107 for 899 awhile back and that was the absolute highest I would pay for a run of the mill AK rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
AUG NATO
View Quote

I think this is a good choice. too bad it lacks a bolt hold open release
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#24]
The BHO is something I could just not give up. Running a charging handle
constantly for mag changes seems tedious.
I have plenty of AR style mags and they are less expensive
but the factory Steyr mags are excellent quality and marginally
pricey. Magpul has started their own Steyr mags and they are inexpensive
Trading the BHO and/or left hand configuration -for mag affordability is not really an issue
anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top