Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2016 9:42:42 PM EDT
I picked up a new OD green IWI X95 about a week ago. I watched many review videos and read many more reviews online, including the accuracy reports.

I was trying to decide between the Tavor SAR and the X95. My brother has the SAR with an 18" barrel, and I've got to shoot it several times at the range so I at least had a good idea of what to expect with that rifle. Nobody locally had a X95 in stock that I could handle and check out before deciding.

Based on the new features of the X95, that's what I decided to purchase. I really like quite a few things on the X95 over the SAR. The charging handle is in a more convenient location, the railed fore end with covers is nice, I like the replaceable grip, and I really like the location of the X95 magazine release over the SAR. The X95 magazine release is more convenient for me because I've been shooting AR pattern rifles for so many years, so mag changes are quicker and feel more natural to perform.

In my experience shooting and handling the SAR, there was nothing that I really disliked about the design. It's a well thought out, solidly built rifle. I decided to roll the dice and purchase a X95 without ever handling one. I figured if I absolutely hated it I could trade somebody for a SAR or maybe an AUG. My LGS ordered one for me for $1700, which is ~$50 cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else.

Well so far I'm loving the X95! Out of the box, the trigger is pretty decent and much improved over the SAR trigger. I love the feel and ergonomics of the X95. It is handy and quick to get on target.

The first day I got it, I outfitted it with the following- Meprolight TruDot RDS, Crimson Trace Railmaster laser, Streamlight TLR-1 HL, Troy aluminum modular grip, and a YHM Phantom flash hider. A few days later my Midwest Industries ejection port cover arrived and I installed that as well.

I contacted IWI to inquire as to when the OD green grip w/traditional trigger guard would be available and was told 4-6 weeks. Right after that the black one was in stock, so I ordered that instead. I figured it would look good with a two tone look like the rest of the rifle with a black grip and OD green grip panels. It showed up today and I installed it. I'm really happy with the look of it.

After receiving the rifle, I broke it down for inspection and cleaning the preservative oil off of everything. The take down is identical to the SAR, and is very simple. I lubed everything with EWL Slip2000 and put it back together. The next day I took it out to the range.

I only took XM193 and some Winchester M855 with me for the first range trip. I sighted in the Meprolight RDS per their instructions by sighting in 2" low at 25 yards for a 50-250 zero. I was running short on daylight so only got to shoot out to 50 and 100 yards so far. I fired 120 rounds, and had zero issues. Reliability was 100% so far out of the box.

As far as the accuracy controversy with the X95 goes, I cannot really make any definitive comments regarding accuracy yet. I was shooting an unmagnified sight, and have only had mine out once at the range with cheap ammo. I will say that I was able to hit my targets every time with ease. But I wasn't shooting off of a bench and measuring group size.

I just received 1200 Nosler 77gr CC cannelured bullets in the mail, and plan to load some in some once fired LC brass for testing. I will be using IMR 8208 XBR powder and I will be trying CCI 400, Federal GM205M, and Remington 7 1/2 primers. When I find the most accurate load, I will try to test these through the X95.

I will have to rob a magnified optic off of one of my other rifles and will shoot from a bench with a rest. I want to test the accuracy of XM193, M855, and my 77gr Nosler handloads along with some other 77gr ammo by various manufacturers. It may take me a month or so to find the time get everything loaded and get to the range. I've been ridiculously busy with work lately. I'll post my results once I do.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase so far. The X95 is a well designed, quick handling rifle that would make an excellent CQC weapon. The build quality is top notch. I did not see anything of concern when initially taking the rifle apart. All parts were nicely finished, no excess plastic/polymer flashing that needed to be trimmed, and all parts fit together nicely with minimal play.

Here are a few pics I took earlier today with the new grip.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you love it.

I was so-ooo close to pulling the trigger on one last week for PA's labor day sale but with the accuracy issues I passed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That two tone does look nice.
And yes, I agree with the placement of the cocking handle being better than the SAR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That two tone does look nice.
And yes, I agree with the placement of the cocking handle being better than the SAR.
View Quote

This is the singular thing that I wish I could change on my SAR, other than wishing I had waited for a green body version. Dang that green X95 looks nice! I have come to an appreciation for the SAR paddle mag release, and am running an aftermarket trigger pack.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice writeup and thanks for the pics - I've been holding out for the OD Pistol Grip, but that two-tone looks pretty slick.

If you think the X95 trigger is improved over the SAR, try the Geissele trigger pack and lightning bow - it takes it to a whole new level. You should be able to catch a sale during the holidays (you just missed one at Primary Arms for 25% off). I wasn't initially convinced it was necessary, but it really cleans up the trigger and now I don't want to give it up.

How do you like the MI Port Cover? I've been holding out for the Manticore, but they've been out of stock for months and I can't seem to get a straight answer on when they will be available.

Glad you like it - I'm really enjoying mine.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
So far the MI ejection port cover has been working just fine. I was going to get the Manticore, but like you said it's been out of stock for months. Also, the X95 has two qd sling mounts at the rear, so having a third with the Manticore cover wasn't really necessary.

My brother has the Geissele trigger pack in his SAR, and it is definitely nice. His was a necessity because the SAR trigger was terrible in its original form. The X95 trigger is decent enough that I can live with it. I may at some point down the road put a Geissele in it, but I'm not sure yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to add in my original post that all magazines that were tried did drop free. This includes Gen 2 and 3 30 round PMAGS, Gen 3 40 round PMAG, Hk 30 round polymer magazine, and 20 and 30round GI magazines.

Some of the initial reviewers stated that certain magazines would not drop free, but all of the ones I tried did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been meaning to thank you for your write up and pictures.  In fact, your picture of the 2 tone grip put me over the edge and I ordered one for my ODG (I was waiting for an ODG grip also).  Wish I would have ordered 2 of them because now I also just picked up an FDE X95.  I didn't order 2 because I didn't know if I'd like the grip and I didn't have my second X95 yet but I should have known better (they are now out of stock again).  I do have an extra Manticore gasketed port cover to put on the FDE.   My ODG was converted to a lefty by IWI and I'm having the FDE converted also but will change it back to right handed since my sister is going to use it.  I like having both bolts for each gun and the option of switching them to a lefty or righty.  

I'll use the same optic on the FDE, a Vortex Spitfire 1X Prism optic but I do have an unused Aimpoint H-1 I could use.  I actually would like to try a 1-4 or 1-6 scope but just can't decide what to buy.  Only scopes I've ever used were 3-9x AO scopes that would focus down to 10 yards (I shoot primarily at a range that is a max of 50 yards).

Anyway, thanks for the detailed information.  Here's a quick picture of my X95s (FDE not yet "outfitted').

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hope you love it.

I was so-ooo close to pulling the trigger on one last week for PA's labor day sale but with the accuracy issues I passed.
View Quote

A pass on an IWI product is always a good pass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope you love it.

What a insightful contribution to a tech forum .
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
QB

No problem. I'm glad you found my review helpful. That is a nice pair of X95s you've got, and I think the FDE version will look great with the two tone grip setup.

Yekcoh
View Quote

I will disagree with you on that one. IWI products tend to be battlefield tested and proven, rather than beta tested on the consumer like so many other gun companies products.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered a fde x95. After shipping and transfer it will be 1635. I sold a arsenal sgl41 to put towards it. Hope i like it! I want to convert it to 300blk as soon as I can get a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just ordered a fde x95. After shipping and transfer it will be 1635. I sold a arsenal sgl41 to put towards it. Hope i like it! I want to convert it to 300blk as soon as I can get a barrel.
View Quote

If that price is for a brand new X95 FDE that's a great buy, congratulations!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Its new. Blue label.  Quantico tactical
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shoot that thing when it comes in and let us know if the accuracy is consistent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
1. I sadly dont have alot of shoot time these days, so it may be awhile. 2. Most youtube reviews from reputable bloggers have shown its combat accurate. Is it a bench rest target sniper rifle? No. But I dont need it to be shooting clovers at 500yds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you!
My FFL doesn't charge me for transfers.
He also charges me his cost for everything so I'm waiting to see what his cost is but I've got Quantico as a backup.

Now to decide on a color...
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you!
He also charges me his cost for everything so I'm waiting to see what his cost is but I've got Quantico as a backup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

I really liked the OD, but went with the fde to match my fnx.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

My Tavor is FDE but my X95 is OD. The green is really nice

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
All but ets wouldnt drop on mine.
Wolf gold usually failed to lock the bolt back.
Rapid fires really nice
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Hows the t1 ride on that, feels natural like a AR when aiming? I was thinking maybe something like a rmr on mine. But didnt knowif it would feel to low?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hows the t1 ride on that, feels natural like a AR when aiming? I was thinking maybe something like a rmr on mine. But didnt knowif it would feel to low?
View Quote

I'm 6'-2" and with the Tall LaRue mount works fine for me.

Edit: I'm thinking about getting an acog for my 95, something with a little magnification since it has a 16" barrel. I kinda feel like this should be a close quarters rifle yet still offer me 3 or 400 yards if needed.

The T1 is better for my SBR because I have no delusions about its role and I don't expect more then 100 yards out it. Yes, I know it can go out farther that is not the point.

I know many will disagree but that is how I feel about it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1. I sadly dont have alot of shoot time these days, so it may be awhile. 2. Most youtube reviews from reputable bloggers have shown its combat accurate. Is it a bench rest target sniper rifle? No. But I dont need it to be shooting clovers at 500yds.
View Quote

Forget "sniper rifle" accuracy, you'll be lucky to get consistent 4 moa with one.

The SARs on the other hand hold 1.5-2 moa all day though. Very strange...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
So i just picked it up today. Hope i like it! Ive never even shot a bullpup before. In just playing with it I tried a magpul 20 straight and it seemed pretty stiff to load on a closed bolt. Anyone able to confirm if it is hard a closed bolt and full mag?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
When you load a full magazine your having to compress the rounds in the magazine for the mag catch to lock into the mags notch.  As the mag spring takes set it might get a little easier but Magpul mags don't have a lot of extra space to compress when fully loaded.  

The Tavor and X95 need higher mounts to get the proper cheek weld.  You need a lower 1/3 co-witness AR 15 mount to get an absolute or exact co-witness with Tavor or X95.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the tip on the mount
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/Johnharden810/media/6AB114AA-6764-4005-9A5E-FF88A8A440C8_zpswxmtp9nv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/6AB114AA-6764-4005-9A5E-FF88A8A440C8_zpswxmtp9nv.jpg~original</a>
View Quote

Really loving everyone's two-tone pistol grips!  Must have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top