Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 7:16:41 PM EDT
Found an RDB last week that was not absurdly priced, finally got to the range Saturday. The rifle ran great and seemed a bit more accurate than I was expecting. The near total lack of recoil was a little weird  but pleasant. After 60 or so slow fire rounds I ran out of daylight. When I got home I took it apart to clean it. The rivet on the hammer assembly was pulling out. The cast head wiggles on the folded sheet metal part, it was not like this originally. (photos to follow) On Monday I contacted Kel-Tec They asked me to email them photos. which I did. 3 days later still no response.Kel-Tec I understand these things happen, maybe my rifle was a Friday afternoon gun, or the hammer assembly was put together right before lunch and forgotten upon returning, maybe it is a subcontracted part, I don't know. However I do know 3 days is enough time to return contact to a customer. I currently have 2 KSGs, RFBs in both 18 and 24, a Tavor, and 3 MSARs, and used to have an M17S, so I like bullpups and am reasonably familiar. The RDB has great potential. however this potential is wasted by poor quality control and a lack of customer service. This was an easy to fix situation, but instead of standing up and addressing the problem, you have chosen to ignore me.

P1030455 by engineersar, on Flickr
P1030453 by engineersar, on Flickr
The rivet is not expanded properly into the countersunk area of the cast hammer head

If I don't hear back I will just fix the rivet on my own, but this is not the kind of experience you want to have with your new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that sucks OP sorry to hear that. In for the response.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The infamous keltec "fluff and buff" is now a part of the RDB? Great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Picking up my RDB tomorrow.
Watching this thread and for any others similar to it.  Let us know what Keltec says.

I don't see the rivet that's pulling out. Is one of the light grey circular things on the right side of the part you're holding in the
first photo?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
This kinda makes me paranoid. As soon as I get my RDB home tomorrow, I'm immediately stripping it down to inspect
all the parts, familiarize myself with how it all looks, and then taking "before shooting" photos before I ever even go to the range.

Hoping yours is just a fluke.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The only outing that I have ever had with a KelTec product was a 1st generation RFB that I purchased. I was not that impressed with the quality of the parts and I didn't like the disassembly of the RFB. I did experience a major problem with an empty casing getting stuck in the ejection chute. I contacted KelTec and they immediately sent me a new and enlarged ejection chute - no charge. That solved the problem. The other problem was with some DSA magazines that would not function properly (probably the magazines, not the weapon). I sold the RFB. I'm not a fan of KelTec products, quality wise. But, I have to admit, after my experience, that KelTec was very responsive to my problem and acted quickly in my situation and without charging me anything. I would be surprised if they didn't get back to you soon and correct the problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I now have my RDB in hand. After disassembling it, I now see how your rifle has that protruding rivet part.

It certainly looks off, and different from mine. Hope Keltec gets your fixed. Let us know what they say.  My rifle seems solid and exceptionally well built, I hope it
holds up to the quality of all the reviews I've heard thus far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top