Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 3:53:19 PM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNGyB3HC8g

A few things caught my eye.  

As part of their drills, they routinely take their barrels on and off.  I don't really know why - other than as a method to really show clear, if you're not sure you trust your GI's to have done that correctly, I guess.

The other thing was that when they aim the rifle, almost none of them use the pistol grip in the front part of the video - they all support it via the handguard.  I've been curious about that approach, since I have a suspicion pistol grip usage torques the barrel, and so can throw shots, but haven't confirmed that (this is something I will be testing when the weather allows).

Left handed soldiers are accommodated, rather than forcing them to shoot as right handed troops.

None of them shot full auto.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's a malfunction drill of some sort maybe clearing a double feed.  Some of them were tapping the barrels on the ground and most of them were tipping the receiver down before reattaching the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
It is to verify no round in the chamber. On an AUG it is difficult to see into the ejection port to check the chamber. After at least one fatality due to a supposedly clear AUG, the barrel removal protocol to show clear was put into place...

Mick
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the video shows a couple of things. One is a field strip (right down to stripping the BCG)
and the other procedure sequence they are showing is clear chamber procedure.
(I think the Irish do the same thing when it comes to chamber check.)

On the range you can hear some bursts.
I notice they "grip" the front grip as opposed to rolling the thumb over with the fingers
that is prescribed by others.
I prefer using the trigger guard for my support hand, rather then the front grip. My grip is usually
swung up and away on the range.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
iirc,  removing to via barrel to show a clear gun went away recently
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is to verify no round in the chamber. On an AUG it is difficult to see into the ejection port to check the chamber. After at least one fatality due to a supposedly clear AUG, the barrel removal protocol to show clear was put into place...

Mick
View Quote

Yep... Compared to an AR/Ak doing a visual chamber check on an AUG is difficult.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never seem it before but now I must have plastic sealed ammo!!!

Edit: found some. Also I'm kind of with you on the barrel torque. Hmm
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing that video.  Very cool!

I did notice that one of the Australian guys was using the vertical grip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
With the new EF90 coming in with no ability to remove the barrel, it would have to go away...

Mick

Quoted:
iirc,  removing to via barrel to show a clear gun went away recently
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like USMC going through Australian weapons quals
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the military designation for that rifle?  What is the magnification of their optic?  Thanks for the video OP!

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the military designation for that rifle?  What is the magnification of their optic?  Thanks for the video OP!

View Quote

This video appears to be a joint training event.  With the Australian military in the beginning, and then the USMC being familiarized with the rifle.  The Australian designation is F88, and it is domestically produced under license, and I believe uses the 1.5X optics.  Australia has recently decide to replace their F88's with an updated version, which is still basically an AUG, with some modernization.  So they are sticking with this rifle for some time yet.

This is also the standard service rifle for Austria and Ireland.  It might be for a few other countries, I think Algeria or some other similar country uses it as their GI rifle as well.  The US Customs department used to issue the AUG, but stopped when they became part of HomeLand security, and brass wanted all AR.  Many Agents were not happy with that decision.  There's a long list of other countries that use the AUG, but it's a little misleading since many of those are smaller departments, not necessarily military-wide GI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top