Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 5:39:26 PM EDT
I just got a Tavor SAR, finally.  I am now researching what optics to get.  I think I want to stay will a red dot or eotech.  What are you guys running and why was it your choice?  Not sure if this matters, but I am a lefty so I am looking for something with ambi controls.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Mepro RDS pro, M21 are good optics and keep everything Israeli  otherwise I'd get an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, there's also the new Israeli-made Hartman MH1 Reflex Sight to go with your Tavor. It has a EOTech type of field of view and fancy reticle but it's using LED illumination.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mepro RDS, it replaced my eotech with similar view, and better battery life.  Works wonderfully.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mepro RDS pro, M21 are good optics and keep everything Israeli  otherwise I'd get an Aimpoint.
View Quote

These are both solid options. Mine wore an M21 before I switched it over to a TA-33. I'd definitely be open to switching back over to an M21, I mostly switched due to the reticle my M21 had, and just happened to have a spare TA33 at the time.

If I had to do it over again id opt for the triangle or maybe dot. The bullseye looked great on paper, but the lines were too thick with too little space between, and it functioned more like a huge clumsy red (orange) dot than an actual bullseye.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm running a Trijicon MRO on mine and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm running an EO Tech 512 in a YHM riser but I just got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 and a Vortex CM-202 mount.  If I like the Stike Eagle it might end up on my Tavor SAR.   I seriously considered buying a Meprolight RDS but I got a great deal on the Strike Eagle which I've wanted to test.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have  a m21 on my sar  with the open X reticle , needs no batteries and the open X is better reticle than the heavier bullseye or triangle imho..
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I run an Aimpoint Pro on my FDE SAR in 9mm
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Aimpoint PRO with the factory QRP mount for my Tavor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoint Pro on mine. Height is perfect for me.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an Aimpoint Comp M4s and like it pretty well.  It is a great sight, but a little big.  The weight doesn't bother me too much since the Tavor's balances well.

The only other concern is that the charging handle gets a bit close to the mounting knob.  I moved the sight back a bit since this photo was taken and I haven't had any problems.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I put a Burris 3x prism on mine
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mepro RDS, it replaced my eotech with similar view, and better battery life.  Works wonderfully.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

I don't treat my Tavor like a truck rifle or anything, but I am super impressed also by the Mepro RDS. I have typically been a nothing but AIMPOINT owner.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I run an EoTech on mine.  I like the sight picture and the 1 moa dot on the EoTech.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Mepro M21 with circle/dot reticle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Mepro RDS. Gets rid of the tunnel vision with the micro dot I previously used.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Currently using a EoTech 512 on a YHM riser... But thats only because I had it on hand when I got my Tavor and it didn't cost me anything but a riser

I will eventually replace with a Aimpoint PRO or T1/T2

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another vote for Mepro RDS. Gets rid of the tunnel vision with the micro dot I previously used.
View Quote

Mine is on an AUG, but yes, this is a very fine sight.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Vortex Sparc II
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Leupold VX-R Patrol ...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]
My brother has the 18" barrel SAR, and he is running a Weaver Tactical 1-5X24 FFP in a Vortex QD mount. He seems to like that setup a lot.

I just ordered a new X95 that will be in my hands in a couple of days, and I have a Meprolight Tru Dot RDS ready to put on it. I have three of the Mepro RDS sights, and they are a solid performing red dot sight. I have been very happy with them so far.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
M21B, got rid of eotech 512s and exp, Trijicon srs, aimpoint also. I teach classes with it, really dig it
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mepro M21 with circle/dot reticle.
View Quote

Same here. Very impressed!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I also have had a SAR for a few weeks now.  Have been using a Vortex Spitfire 3x.  The cheek weld is SO low, I had to put a Razorback Short rail on to get it higher.  Unfortunately, the eye relief is so short on the Vortex, that I'm going to try a Mepro21 or a Vortex Sparc red dot.

I am also left handed, and left eye dominant.  It is super difficult for me to shoot this rifle right handed.  

Keep getting hot brass in my chin when I shoot lefty.  Getting a left hand bolt.  Only a few dealers are approved, such as Copper Custom.  Bolt was $100 plus $40 for the install/headspace check IWI requires.

Despite the issues noted above, I absolutely LOVE shooting this rifle!  The weight and balance is wonderful!

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I flip back and forth between an ACOG TA01-NSN and an Aimpoint Pro.  

I like them both on it, but the pro sits there more often than not, unless I know I'm going longer than 200Y.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#27]
EOTECH on mine. I like it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a new Tavor and put one of my EoTech sights on it and took it to the range. Big disappointment. The top rail of the Tavor is too low to use an EoTech. You will need to purchase a riser to use the EoTech. I don't know about other scopes as I got rid of the Tavor (for several reasons). I don't want to have to add a riser to a rifle. None of my other rifles require a riser with my EoTech and Elcan DR Specter scopes. That includes my FN SCAR 17, Sig P716, Colt AR15, and Steyr Aug. The Tavor was the only rifle I have ever owned that required a riser. Anyway, get a riser before you go to the range if you intend to use an EoTech.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 with Fast Fire Dot.  Figured I might as well use a scope since it has a 16" barrel.  I also use a high scope mount to account for the lower rail, works like a champ.

I had an EOTech at one point, didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Aimpoint PRO here, works great AND wifey approved

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I started over a year ago using my Aimpoint Comp M2, but now I have switched to my ACOG TA50-4 3x w/amber crosshair:

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I recently bought an SAR and put a Vortex Strikefire 2 on mine. I had heard a lot of good stuff about Vortex optics and figured I try one out. I had a hard time choosing between the Strikefire2 and the Sparc 2. After a trip to the range I was pretty impressed, seems like a pretty good red dot and they're relatively inexpensive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I know the M21 has it's share of proponents, but the first thing I wondered about when I looked into it is what happens when the tritium fades? I have had to replace enough tritium sights to know that it doesn't take that long. I contacted someone (I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think it was someone with Mako) a couple years ago with that same question, hoping to hear that It was a simple little user replaceable tritium ampule insert or module. However, the response I got was that you would have to send the unit in as it essentially requires replacing all of the internals, and the cost, as you would expect with having to replace most of the functional components, was just short of a new unit.

Just like the arguments between the proponents of of those two battery powered sights, though, the Mepro will have it's share of users who feel like that configuration suits them better. None of the solutions are perfect, and arguing between these 3 is the equivalent of a debate between 9mm, 40, and 45.

I just thought I would offer up this technical tidbit of information, for you to make a better informed decision about which system best fits your own situation and desires. For some people, that convenience and reliability of not having to replace a battery for as long as the tritium lasts is worth the cost. Others will prefer the cheaper option of feeding batteries to an EOTech or AimPoint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top