Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2016 4:43:18 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a bullpup rifle within the next year or so and am currently leaning towards the AUG playform. I know I prefer a flat top, modifiable version, affordable mags and reliability, but that is about it. Ive seen many augs from MSAR but haven't heard much of this brand. Basically I'm asking what a good AUG is to buy at bottom dollar and what that might cost. Or if the aug has a suitable replacement, what could that be. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
There's only one brand of AUG...
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am looking to buy a bullpup rifle within the next year or so and am currently leaning towards the AUG playform. I know I prefer a flat top, modifiable version, affordable mags and reliability, but that is about it. Ive seen many augs from MSAR but haven't heard much of this brand. Basically I'm asking what a good AUG is to buy at bottom dollar and what that might cost. Or if the aug has a suitable replacement, what could that be. Thanks in advance.

View Quote

MSAR is no longer in business.

AUG's are running about $1600 give or take. (I could be wrong about this and welcome any corrections)

I have an A3 (OEM mags) with the long rail and a Aimpoint T2 on it.  Good combo.  

I have a Tavor too, and the AUG is a better rifle (subjective).

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Skip the MSAR and call Pete at PJSteyr Aug and tell him what you want(flattop, 16, 18 or 20" barrel)and I'd skip the nation stocked model. The rifle want designed that way; it's an appeasement to the American shooter.

My .02.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am looking to buy a bullpup rifle within the next year or so and am currently leaning towards the AUG playform.

Good choice

I know I prefer a flat top, modifiable version, affordable mags and reliability, but that is about it.

You're looking for a Steyr AUG M1

Ive seen many augs from MSAR but haven't heard much of this brand.

Perchance do you live under a rock?

Basically I'm asking what a good AUG is to buy at bottom dollar and what that might cost.

The only AUG is the Steyr AUG. If you want to buy one, call Pete from pjs-steyraug.com

Or if the aug has a suitable replacement, what could that be. Thanks in advance.

There is no suitable replacement.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am looking to buy a bullpup rifle within the next year or so and am currently leaning towards the AUG playform.

Good choice

I know I prefer a flat top, modifiable version, affordable mags and reliability, but that is about it.

Basically I'm asking what a good AUG is to buy at bottom dollar and what that might cost.

The only AUG is the Steyr AUG. If you want to buy one, call Pete from pjs-steyraug.com

Or if the aug has a suitable replacement, what could that be. Thanks in advance.

+1 the Aug is a fantastic weapon and you will love it. Buy from Pete, get a new m1 and load up on mags...stay away from the msar brand some guys have had good luck others bad.. Just stick with styer and you will be happy..... Just $0.02 from a styer aug nut.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The MSAR STG is not an aug.

It IS however a huge piece of shit, with ZERO chance of support.

Ask me how I know. I only unloaded mine because of the sandy hook panic. Thank god I didnt lose money. Still want a real steyr. Hopefuly I'll get one soon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
what is the nation stocked model?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be NATO, takes standard AR magazines not the AUG proprietary ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Microtech MSAR as mentioned is no longer in production/business - questionable
QC on final production & parts. - in short you either have a good one - or you do not.
Warranties on existing MSAR rifles are voided.

I prefer the OEM "Waffle mags" as opposed to NATO stock, that uses AR mags, since you lose the BHO and any ability to convert to left hand ejection.
Cost wise OEM mags are a little more expensive but Magpul just released their own Steyr mags - about half as much.
(Every now and again a distributor has a huge sale on factory AUG mags and that's when you stock up)

Check Gunsamerica or Gunbroker for current pricing but PJ's as mentioned, is the GO2 guy for all things
AUG related.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Microtech MSAR as mentioned is no longer in production/business - questionable
QC on final production & parts. - in short you either have a good one - or you do not.
Warranties on existing MSAR rifles are voided.

I prefer the OEM "Waffle mags" as opposed to NATO stock, that uses AR mags, since you lose the BHO and any ability to convert to left hand ejection.
Cost wise OEM mags are a little more expensive but Magpul just released their own Steyr mags - about half as much.
(Every now and again a distributor has a huge sale on factory AUG mags and that's when you stock up)

Check Gunsamerica or Gunbroker for current pricing but PJ's as mentioned, is the GO2 guy for all things
AUG related.
View Quote

Good advice here.  44mag.com ran a factory steyr magazine special about a year ago and were selling them practically for the price of AR mags.  

Keep an eye open because it will likely happen again.  

The AUG mags in the AUG is a far superior platform to the nato stock and AR mags.   No comparison IMHO.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I got the Flat top.
Put a Vortex PST 1x4 on it with Vortex rings.
Shoots more accurate than I thought it would.
Sub MOA with my handloads.
It feels better to me than the Tavor in balance and cheek weld.
I would like to get a X-95 in 300BLK if it becomes available though.
I got mine from Pete and he took the tulip FH off so I could use a vortex FH.
I like mine a lot and glad I got it with the political climate being what it is.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what is the nation stocked model?
View Quote

Damn auto correct!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
No need to keep an eye open because it will likely never happen again.  

View Quote

Fixed it for you.

I am afraid the days of the <$20 Steyr factory mags are done. RSR's epic loss was our gain for a while. IIRC, the price got down below $7 apiece in May(ish) 2014, and another distributor bought up what was left.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

I am afraid the days of the <$20 Steyr factory mags are done. RSR's epic loss was our gain for a while. IIRC, the price got down below $7 apiece in May(ish) 2014, and another distributor bought up what was left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

I wish I would have bought an HS50 back then when CDNN was giving them away with the BS Iran story.

44mag has about the best price on factory AUG magazines. $22.99 last I checked.
Mrs. FADALDUDE got her LH AUG from Ratwork because they took care of us at the last Bullpup shoot.  Added an Aimpoint PRO. Flipped the mount.
Still figuring out the best way to set it up for dedicated LH use. Going to pick up a Ratworx charging handle at the Bullpup shoot.

I thought the Tavor was an AUG killer till I ran mags through FA Tavors at the lay Bullpup shoot. The AUG was just better for us. To each their own.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much crap Russian ammo we can blast through it before it chokes.

I'm impressed by the single Magpul AUG magazine I picked up but don't see the point when you can get factory magazines for a couple bucks more.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#16]
$6.35 was the bottom price for factory 30 and 42rd mags in late April 2014....

Mick

Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a few thoughts on the standard Steyr stock versus the NATO stock.  

The bolt hold open is ok, but you can run into problems if you ram a magazine into the magwell like it's an AR.  If you're used to slapping a magazine in there or use any real force to seat the magazine, the top round is likely to pop off the top and sit in the chamber.  When you go to drop the bolt, you've got 2 rounds trying to feed; not fun to clear in a hurry.  It seemed more likely with 42 round mags but it could be done with a 30 round mag.  Even if it only happens 10% of the time, I shouldn't be worried about whether I'll get a double feed.  Weak point of the AUG manual of arms IMO.

I had considered switching to the NATO stock (not because I wanted to use AR mags but) because without a BHO, you simply won't have that issue.  Bolt stays closed like an AK reload.  

I asked Magpul if their version of the AUG mag will pop the top round out like the OEM mags and they supposedly won't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mick

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mick

Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Ouch.

That's going to hurt for a minute.  Didn't matter in 2014 for me though, could have been $0.25.....rent, food and rxs came first.  

......The MP5 was everyone's dream gun from Diehard.  Mine was the AUG. Alexander Godunov assembling it stayed with me.  That guy had a tragic life.
30 years later the AUG still looks brand new....any who thread drift back to topic...

Does downloading a round help alleviate the top round from popping out on rough insertion?  I'm a noob to the platform and it's what protects my wife when I'm not there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The bolt hold open is ok, but you can run into problems if you ram a magazine into the magwell like it's an AR.  If you're used to slapping a magazine in there or use any real force to seat the magazine, the top round is likely to pop off the top and sit in the chamber.  When you go to drop the bolt, you've got 2 rounds trying to feed; not fun to clear in a hurry.  It seemed more likely with 42 round mags but it could be done with a 30 round mag.  Even if it only happens 10% of the time, I shouldn't be worried about whether I'll get a double feed.  Weak point of the AUG manual of arms IMO.

I had considered switching to the NATO stock (not because I wanted to use AR mags but) because without a BHO, you simply won't have that issue.  Bolt stays closed like an AK reload.  

I asked Magpul if their version of the AUG mag will pop the top round out like the OEM mags and they supposedly won't.
View Quote

This is really more of a training issue than a design failure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

you are wrong about Bolt stays closed like an AK reload with  NATO stock
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Right. After a mag goes empty, the bolt locks open - on all models of the AUG.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's only one brand of AUG...
View Quote

100+
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good choice

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Next year or so, eh?  So you think Mrs. Clinton will let you have an AUG?  Better buy it now, before prices go through the roof and availability drops to zero.  

Buy AUG with regular AUG stock, 6 or 12 of real AUG 30 round mags and 6 of the 42 rounders, lots of ammo and some spare parts and you are set.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#25]
With regard to the NATO stock: My bad, I just figured that since it did not have a release it would simply close on the last round.

If the mag is empty and the bolt is back (with the NATO stock), does the bolt close when you pull the mag out?

Do you have to manually pull the charging handle back to drop the bolt forward?

--------
Does downloading a round help alleviate the top round from popping out on rough insertion?  I've popped rounds regardless of how many are in the mag.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Im waiting on Mr AUG to get more in stock......starting to get nervous, been waiting a few weeks. But I really want a 20" barrel, there are tons of 16" barreled models out there but zero 20". If I dont hear anything by next week, going to buy a 16" model and maybe buy a 20" barrel assembly down the road if possible.

Already bought 8 mags from 44mag.com, need to get my AUG before the panic buying goes into full swing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I found a white one in stock at AIM and bought it. Wanted one from PJs months ago but he didn't have any left, so I bought a Mud one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top