Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 7:27:59 PM EDT
I bought one of these just barely.  I have a bunch of plinking ammo inbound.

Where is the best place to buy mags?

What are the must have upgrades/accesories?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a PS90 but my default response to these sort of questions is more ammo.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought one of these just barely.  I have a bunch of plinking ammo inbound.

Where is the best place to buy mags?

What are the must have upgrades/accesories?

Thanks
View Quote

Hopefully you bought SS197 for plinking, as there have been cases of AE getting setback in PS90s.

Not sure on the best place to buy mags, but only use FN mags. Non FN mags are prone to cracking etc with just normal use. Not worth the hassle and wasted money. ManKave rollers are much better than the FN ones. They also make loading a bit easier.

TROS makes a low profile optic mount. I have an AMP engineering trigger in mine. Better than stock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Just to emphasize what everyone else has said....
Use FNH magazines, 50's if you can find them at a good price, 30's with the web on the follower cut out and epoxied back together.
Get a nice red-dot sight and mount.  If finances allow, get a mount designed to accept the sight without needing Picatinny rails, the extra 1/4 inch lower helps.
If you have a Gen-1 or Gen-2 trigger pack (do research) don't send your PS90 back to FNH for repair or you're likely to get back a Gen-4 trigger pack in return.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Midway has FN mags for $25 ea, if I remember right.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 5K rounds of SS197SR.  Is that the same as SS197?  I would assume so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I recommend the FN brass catcher & AMP trigger (it just feels nicer than the stock plastic trigger)
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought 5K rounds of SS197SR.  Is that the same as SS197?  I would assume so.
View Quote

Yes, that's SS197.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I recommend the FN brass catcher & AMP trigger (it just feels nicer than the stock plastic trigger)
View Quote

There are some nice, custom brass catchers on Ebay

PS90 Brass Catcher
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just to emphasize what everyone else has said....
Use FNH magazines, 50's if you can find them at a good price, 30's with the web on the follower cut out and epoxied back together.
Get a nice red-dot sight and mount.  If finances allow, get a mount designed to accept the sight without needing Picatinny rails, the extra 1/4 inch lower helps.
If you have a Gen-1 or Gen-2 trigger pack (do research) don't send your PS90 back to FNH for repair or you're likely to get back a Gen-4 trigger pack in return.
View Quote

I don't waist my time with 30 round mags unless I can get them real cheap (usually not). I didn't need to epoxy follower, just stick the 2 sections back in the magazine, they ended up being 49 capacity.

I occasionally run a sparrow on my PS90 SBR but will use any of my compatible cans if the sparrow is on my 5.7

Maybe not the sexiest but I still feel the PS90 SBR is the best option for personal defense, 50 rounds, reliable, fast round in a small light package.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive been using the AR57 mags from cdnn $10 and they work great.
Got the ebay brass catcher. It works good.
Got a lower power sear spring and the trigger feels much better.
OE black ring sight  works great also. Have a spare for sale.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
" />
eBay Brass Catcher
Inforce Light
Aimpoint Pro with TROS mount
Rear QD mount I got on eBay
Threaded factory flash hider I forget where I got it
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm running a Design Machine mount for my Primary Arms red dot.  Makes a world of difference.  Absolutely love it. Also have an Urban Sentry Hybrid sling set up.  I'll highly recommend that, too.  I have a spare T1 style DMachine mount laying around that I'd be willing to let go if you're interested in one.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm running a Design Machine mount for my Primary Arms red dot.  Makes a world of difference.  Absolutely love it. Also have an Urban Sentry Hybrid sling set up.  I'll highly recommend that, too.  I have a spare T1 style DMachine mount laying around that I'd be willing to let go if you're interested in one.

http://i.imgur.com/mKaelhd.jpg
View Quote

+1 on the design machine mount.   It was game changing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone else make mounts beside design machine and tros?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IF you plan on using it for home defense, load it with FN SS198 (Green Tip)

Do NOT trust any ammo loaded by Fiocchi (FN SS197 (Blue Tip) & Federal American Eagle)
View Quote

is this still an on going problem? I read lots of stuff from 2012-2014, but nothing from 2015 on, or have people just learned not to use it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Bigger issue for me with AE is short stroking.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I still use it for cheap practice (and malfunction drill) ammo. In fact I'm going to purchase an Elite Ammunition case gauge to check all SS197 before I load it.

Post from 09/06/16 on SS197 issues

Post from 11/23/15 on American Eagle issues

I've personally experienced issues with SS197, I fired four rounds out of the same box through my PS90 that were so lightly loaded they wouldn't cycle the action and I even checked the bore to make sure a projectile wasn't lodged in the bore.

I can't seem to locate it but there was a fairly recent (last six months?) on SS197 showing new ammo with the shoulder of the cartridge pushed back.

That's why I will only use either Elite Ammunition or FN SS198 Ammunition for defense in my weapons.

Jay of Elite Ammunition posted a video of him tearing down Factory SS197 ammo, weighing each powder charge, and in one box he found more than a 10% variation in powder charges. In a cartridge with that high of pressure (50,040 psi) and that tiny of a capacity is a recipe for disaster.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IF you plan on using it for home defense, load it with FN SS198 (Green Tip)

Do NOT trust any ammo loaded by Fiocchi (FN SS197 (Blue Tip) & Federal American Eagle)

is this still an on going problem? I read lots of stuff from 2012-2014, but nothing from 2015 on, or have people just learned not to use it?

I still use it for cheap practice (and malfunction drill) ammo. In fact I'm going to purchase an Elite Ammunition case gauge to check all SS197 before I load it.

Post from 09/06/16 on SS197 issues

Post from 11/23/15 on American Eagle issues

I've personally experienced issues with SS197, I fired four rounds out of the same box through my PS90 that were so lightly loaded they wouldn't cycle the action and I even checked the bore to make sure a projectile wasn't lodged in the bore.

I can't seem to locate it but there was a fairly recent (last six months?) on SS197 showing new ammo with the shoulder of the cartridge pushed back.

That's why I will only use either Elite Ammunition or FN SS198 Ammunition for defense in my weapons.

Jay of Elite Ammunition posted a video of him tearing down Factory SS197 ammo, weighing each powder charge, and in one box he found more than a 10% variation in powder charges. In a cartridge with that high of pressure (50,040 psi) and that tiny of a capacity is a recipe for disaster.

okay, TY.
My main concern is cheap plinking ammo, but I don't want to be putting my new rifle, or self at risk doing it.

ammo for HD is a whole new can of worms to try and find here in cannuck land
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
TROS with micro Aimpoint and Surefire Scout light.  Easy

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's how I outfitted mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top