Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 4:05:11 PM EDT
Finally got to pick up an AAC adapter for my aug.

Sure enough it(factory flash hider)was on forever. Enter Pete Athens. He received it today, broke it loose then went back to the PO for the return ride.

What service! Way to go Pete.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've removed three of them. Took me and another and a special wrench and a vise and aluminum clamps to get it off. Now whenever I buy an Aug from Pete Athens I just ask him nicely to remove the fh before shipping. A lot less stress.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The first time I tried I wasn't set up correctly to do it. Between two people, a vice, and a torch it wouldn't budge. Sent it to Pete and he sent it back. If I know before hand I'm going to swap muzzle devices when buying from Pete I'll just ask for him to loosen it. Otherwise I do it myself. I've done maybe 7 or 8 myself and have a method that is solid and works every time.

To remove the flash hider you have to think counterintuitively.

As the checknut is tightened against the flash hider at the factory, you need to loosen the checknut from against the flash hider FIRST.
The checknut is "tightened" against the flash hider by rotating in the loosening direction (clockwise).
So, to get the checknut off of the flash hider, you have to rotate it in the tightening direction, i.e. toward the chamber (counterclockwise).

My method

Step 1. Have the appropriate wrenches.

Step 2. Remove the barrel from the receiver and grip from the barrel.

Step 3. If you have a MAP or similar torch, burn off the loctite.
You'll see the smoke rise for a few seconds then stop.

Step 4. Lay the barrel on cardboard or a blanket on a hard floor.

Step 5. Place both wrenches on the wrench flats such that the flash hider wrench is contacting the floor and the checknut wrench is in the air, in a angular position so that when applying force to the checknut wrench, that it will rotate toward the floor in the tightening rotation - and the rotation of the flash hider wrench would lend to rotation in the loosening direction.

Step 6. If you're not confused yet, step on the checknut wrench and watch as the flash hider and checknut instantly break free from each other.

Step 7. Reinstall grip, clean threads and install your choice of muzzle device.

If none of the above makes sense or works, or if you'd rather not deal with this, Pete can help you out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two muzzle devices for mounting sakers on my augs but I've heard so much negativity about the suppression levels of the aug I figured I'd try one barrel. If I like it I will try maleante's directions. If that doesn't work I will send my other barrels to Pete for a mass removal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#4]
If you know the direction of the threads, have two proper fitting wrenches (might need to thin them out on a belt sander) and a torch, it shouldn't be an issue.  The surefire instructions had the Aug threads with the wrong direction of threads.

Otherwise, a hider with a locknut is one of the easier ones to remove as you don't have to have the barrel cranked like crazy in a vise.

On another note, it seems wrenches made in India and really cheap ones from China are nice and thin and ideal for this kind of work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top