Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 10:21:29 AM EDT
I'm leaning towards the Gear Head Works as I like the angle but I'm also thinking about the Manitcore switchback micro or mini, it seems like the fixed handle would be better for quick charging though.

I've also not seen any reviews of the Gear Head Flex Swivel which seems like a good idea, at least a good place to have a sling mount.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea on CH's, I find the stock handles are fine for me.

Gear head flex - https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=454336
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
i've noticed that people that think they need to replace the charging handle are positioning their hand wrong.  the AUG charging handle is supposed to used with the palm up
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Manticore Mini, it gives me a tad bit more surface to grip. While I charge the rifle with palm up method (machine gunner in me), having a little extra material to grip is not a bad thing under stress.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My main issue is with the bolt handle locked in the up position it's hard to grab and it also seems to get hung with the sling if it's used in a 2pt configuration. I'm definitely going to use it a bit more before I make any changes but I think I may go ahead and pick up the swivel mount. I've run some of the Magpul adaptors to change from QD to hook style which would work great with my MS2 sling.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one area of the AUG that IMHO needs an aftermarket accessory.  

I went with the Manticore switchback mini and haven't looked back.  It's so easy to open the gun up and lock it in the slot, HK style if I wish to.

I have an ACOG on my A3/SA and trying to do this with the stock charging handle was impossible.  Not to mention ripping the shit out of my index finger or pinky if I went palm up on the corner of the ACOG mount.

With the switchback, I run that handle as fast and hard as I want to, with zero chance of cheesegratering.  I'm not an accessory whore, and prefer to leave guns stock without a good reason.  The amount of control gained by this was worth it to me.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My main issue is with the bolt handle locked in the up position it's hard to grab and it also seems to get hung with the sling if it's used in a 2pt configuration. I'm definitely going to use it a bit more before I make any changes but I think I may go ahead and pick up the swivel mount. I've run some of the Magpul adaptors to change from QD to hook style which would work great with my MS2 sling.
View Quote

Why are you grabbing the CH when it's locked back? Simply slip your thumb between it and the receiver, and let 'er fly.

On your sling issue, have you tried running your sling around the off-side and under the bottom? That method totally gets the sling out of the way of the CH. There's a photo HERE. It's the second image.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I did not think I would ever want or need a aftermarket charging handle as well.  I owned a MSAR for years before so I was used to the controls already.
But my new Steyr A3 was & still is a lot harder to charge.  I am sure it will loosen over time but wow it requires a firm grip with both hands.
I even anticipated the problem and mounting my optic with the mount screws on the other side.
Still just about every single time I would scrape some part of my hand on the top rail.  I also have big mongo hands.

After some research reading posts/reviews & mostly looking at pictures I chose the Manticore version.
I liked how it folded flat, the plastic & replaceable slide piece.  I liked how it folds itself back up when released.  It is a pretty slick design.  I think I got the middle sized version.
And I have had multiple purchases & interactions with Sven of Manticore Arms that I wanted to buy his version.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If you change your CH you'll lose your forward asset.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Although it is out of stock, I picked up the Gearhead Works Low Profile Charging Handle
http://www.shop.gearheadworks.com/Aug-low-profile-charging-handle-MOD-1-AugCH-M1.htm

Maintains the forward assist, is easy for me to manipulate, works great.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have manticore arms micros on my AUGs for a couple years now.  Big improvement over the old handles in my opinion.

I tried to buy a gearheadworks one at first due to the more original profile but they were always out of stock.  Overall I am glad I ended up with the manticore and have come to appreciate the folding design over time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never had any issues using either of the original Steyr handles, thus left mine stock.
I guess I'm one of those weird folks that would rather spend my money on more fruitful items, like ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I've only made three modifications to my Steyr Aug and they are the GHW charging handle, GHW Flex Swivel, and the AAC flash hider/ 51T suppressor mount. I've found that I really like the GHW CH and Flex Swivel. They make the Aug a lot more functional. The CH allows me to manipulate the Aug more easily and a lot quicker with my Elcan 1-4X DR Specter scope mounted on the top rail. And, previously I had a Blackhawk sling collar attachment on the Aug so I could attach a sling with a center of receiver attachment. I hated it. It was cheap nylon and would move around. The Flex Swivel is tight and secure and I really like the convenience of using a QD sling swivel with this attachment point. I highly recommend both the CH and Flex Swivel. Both are the best modifications that I have ever made to a rifle.

Oh, and since I have an adequate supply of ammo, I find these modifications to be the most "fruitful" items I have. They greatly enhance my shooting experience more than any ammo I could buy. It's like having a car. I want some modifications to enhance my driving experience. So I buy tires that are better at gripping the road surface, better on cornering, and have a lot higher mileage rating. Then maybe I add some halogen lights to enhance night driving. I also like to use "Rain X" on the windshield because it really does help make visibility while driving in rain much, much better. Then I change out the stock floor mats with WeatherTech floor mats because I don't want to have the issues with regular fiber mats when it's muddy outside and my muddy shoes get mud all over them. WeatherTech are vinvl and can simply be taken out and rinsed off more easily. All of these mods I can afford and they make my life a lot easier. I'd much rather make my life easier than simply have more money to spend only on more gasoline (which I can already afford).
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Just installed the GHW charging handle, big improvement over stock imo. It's much easier to manipulate especially when locked back. Unfortunately the USPS took the Flex swivel to a belt sander and pretty well ruined it through the plastic bag, paper wrapped instructions, and padded envelope.

Paul the owner responded right away and is sending another one out, but I'm sure I'll like it setup that way. Now I need to decide on a sling, I'm leaning towards a Magpul MS1 padded.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm happy with my medium switchback handle, although I need a couple more.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just installed the GHW charging handle, big improvement over stock imo. It's much easier to manipulate especially when locked back. Unfortunately the USPS took the Flex swivel to a belt sander and pretty well ruined it through the plastic bag, paper wrapped instructions, and padded envelope.

Paul the owner responded right away and is sending another one out, but I'm sure I'll like it setup that way. Now I need to decide on a sling, I'm leaning towards a Magpul MS1 padded.
View Quote

If you like the GHW charging handle you'll like Flex Swivel as well. I'm using the MagPul MS3 single QD sling on mine. I have the QD mounted to the Flex Swivel and the paraclip attached to the buttstock sling swivel. I really like having the ability/choice between single point sling and two point. I prefer the two point in this layout because it allows me to sling the weapon while the sling pulls it closer and more securely in toward my body. And the sling does not get in the way of the charging handle like it would if I attached the front attachment to the front sling swivel.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with the Micro Switchback.

The standard switchback was a bit to long on my A3CQC.  It would hit the rail after release.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
which one is easier to lock back when you run an ACOG?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I get a kick out of people poo-pooing the different AUG charging handle options or dissin' the idea of liking the OEM handle.  This is an area of application that boils down to preference, ergonomics, what's mounted on the main rail, and other factors.  There is no right/wrong here.  You pick what works best for you.  The problem?...actually getting to try different options to see what's best for you.  I hated the OEM handle.  I hated the OEM handle on my Tavor too.  I went with the longest Switchback for my AUG for my preference.  It's probably the least popular one when compared to the micro and mini.  Why do you think there are three different lengths of the Switchback?  Options...always a great thing despite naysayers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
To add a wrinkle, do any of the aftermarket handles function better than the rest for a dedicated Left Hand AUG?

Mrs. FADALDUDE just ordered herself a LH model from an awesome Illinois company. After the last bullpup shoot where Steyr had the semi autos for rent she was sold on the LH AUG.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
based on this thread and some additional research, I got the gear works handle and flex mount, wow what an improvement over stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To add a wrinkle, do any of the aftermarket handles function better than the rest for a dedicated Left Hand AUG?

Mrs. FADALDUDE just ordered herself a LH model from an awesome Illinois company. After the last bullpup shoot where Steyr had the semi autos for rent she was sold on the LH AUG.
View Quote

I would probably get one of the Manticore Switchback handles for lefty use as you can have a little more to grab when going under the gun with you right hand to charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top