Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
Gents was wondering how people experience are with 14in barreled augs. Also, does anyone know if you can pin to 16 and still maintain overall length of 26?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I did. Yes, although I think mine is slightly more than 16" in ordered to get 26+".

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If remember right, it was pursuitSS who chopped a barrel and it wouldn't function thereafter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. That's a great looking setup. I wasn't going to chop, as I heard about the gas issues, but was going to pin a factory 14 barrel. But that barrel already sold so wishful thinking...
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone heard about chopping and then leaving a can on? Would that provide adequate pressure?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. That's a great looking setup. I wasn't going to chop, as I heard about the gas issues, but was going to pin a factory 14 barrel. But that barrel already sold so wishful thinking...
View Quote

Any idea what it went for? Just curious as there are so few of them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did. Yes, although I think mine is slightly more than 16" in ordered to get 26+".

http://hkbeltfed.com/imgs/marvinaug.jpg
View Quote

What muzzle device is that?  All one piece I assume?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Surefire legacy hider for a Hk Mp7, bored for 5.56 and rethreaded Aug pattern. Yes, all one piece.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You are correct sir.

It was marginal on the "adverse" setting, and wouldn't function at all on the standard setting.

AND IIRC it wasn't cut all the way down to 14".

I would never risk cutting an AUG barrel again UNLESS I was sending it to someone who had a lot of experience doing so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If remember right, it was pursuitSS who chopped a barrel and it wouldn't function thereafter.

You are correct sir.

It was marginal on the "adverse" setting, and wouldn't function at all on the standard setting.

AND IIRC it wasn't cut all the way down to 14".

I would never risk cutting an AUG barrel again UNLESS I was sending it to someone who had a lot of experience doing so.

the factory 14" barrel has a different size gas port than the 16" and 20" barrels

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]

I would really, really love to get my hands on a factory 14" barrel.

Weren't they actually 13.77", or somewhere thereabouts?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would really, really love to get my hands on a factory 14" barrel.

Weren't they actually 13.77", or somewhere thereabouts?
View Quote

350mm. Just short of 14".
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#13]
A 14" barrel really seems to need the port cut at an angle, which isn't really possible without removing the gas block and good luck with that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard the factory 14" ports are cut at an angle, and then I've also heard they aren't. Wouldn't having a dedicated suppressor eliminate the need for any angle? I would think one could simply increase the gas orifice until it's large enough to cycle reliably.

Who has the most experience shortening AUG barrels?

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the problem, there's not really anyone who has done this in the past as a service. Historically barrels have been $1000ish, at that price who is going to start experimenting and kill the value?

A couple weeks ago new 16 and 18 inch barrels were $350 on gunbroker, I bought one because I've always wanted an AUG barrel dimpled by Marvin Pitts. At that price I'll mess with it, any higher and I can't justify it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
AAAAAAGHGHHH I GOT YOU BEAT maleante !!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've heard the factory 14" ports are cut at an angle, and then I've also heard they aren't. Wouldn't having a dedicated suppressor eliminate the need for any angle? I would think one could simply increase the gas orifice until it's large enough to cycle reliably.

View Quote

I have 2 factory Steyr Austria 14" barrels in my shop and both have a "straight through" drilled hole. (Barrels NOT for sale, do not ask!)

I personally have never seen or heard of an angle drilled/cut hole through the 14" barrel. The outer hole on the gas block would also have to be drilled in an angle which would make them dedicated 14" barrel gas blocks!

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
This is not a WTB post in a tech forum.  Do not contact me if you ever want to sell a factory 14" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That's the problem, there's not really anyone who has done this in the past as a service. Historically barrels have been $1000ish, at that price who is going to start experimenting and kill the value?

A couple weeks ago new 16 and 18 inch barrels were $350 on gunbroker, I bought one because I've always wanted an AUG barrel dimpled by Marvin Pitts. At that price I'll mess with it, any higher and I can't justify it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't had an AUG barrel dimpled, although I have had Marvin dimple a Sig 716 barrel for me that turned out great.

You might consider just re-profiling it to get it even lighter.  I had Adco turn down one of my 16" 1/9 twist barrels to the diameter of a Colt pencil barrel.  It is noticeably lighter and handier than a standard barrel, and has functioned just fine in my use.

Wait time was also much nicer.  I think elapsed time was around seven days from shipping it out to receiving it back from Adco.  My Sig took approximately six or seven months to make it's way back from Marvin.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn,
lots of good dope here. PJ, putting that out there will have people knocking on your doors for years asking if you'll ever sell. Tis the internet, and your words are now set in stone.

Thats a great idea on dimpling, I shoulda jumped on a cheap barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I haven't had an AUG barrel dimpled, although I have had Marvin dimple a Sig 716 barrel for me that turned out great.

You might consider just re-profiling it to get it even lighter.  I had Adco turn down one of my 16" 1/9 twist barrels to the diameter of a Colt pencil barrel.  It is noticeably lighter and handier than a standard barrel, and has functioned just fine in my use.

Wait time was also much nicer.  I think elapsed time was around seven days from shipping it out to receiving it back from Adco.  My Sig took approximately six or seven months to make it's way back from Marvin.

View Quote

I used ADCO 6 or 7 years ago on a reprofile from a Colt heavy bbl to govt 20". It turned out nice but didn't match the profile of a govt 20" type barrel. The angles were way off.

Can you put up a picture of the skinny AUG barrel?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I used ADCO 6 or 7 years ago on a reprofile from a Colt heavy bbl to govt 20". It turned out nice but didn't match the profile of a govt 20" type barrel. The angles were way off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry it took me awhile, but here it is, along with an unmolested barrel for comparison.

If memory serves, it shaved a bit over 5 ounces versus the factory profile.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Reprofiled and rethreaded to 1/2x28? How long ago was this, as it still offered as a service?

Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Reprofiled and rethreaded to 1/2x28? How long ago was this, as it still offered as a service?

Thanks for the pics!
View Quote

The threading service is actually referred to on their website as "repair damaged or destroyed threads".  They don't cut or otherwise shorten the barrel at all.  They turn down the existing threads on the barrel, and then rethread that portion so that it has a smaller than original overall diameter.  They then fabricate a cap that is externally threaded 1/2x28 and internally threaded to thread onto and permanently attach to the barrel.

It has worked great in my experience.  I haven't had any issues with it at all, and have experimented with several different muzzle devices on the AUG.

Adco still offers both services (profiling and "thread repair") as far as I am aware.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top