Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2016 11:33:17 PM EDT
I have a Tavor with the shorter 16 1/2" barrel.  Eventually I plan
on upgrading to an 18" barrel, but until that happens I think I
want a new compensator.  I have the factory "bird cage" style compensator
on my Tavor, and I notice that when I shoot it, the barrel flips too much. My main concern is muzzle rise/ flip.

Like, it takes my aim completely off my target.  Each shot breaks
too violently. I want something that will calm my shots, make them less jarring, and keep the
barrel more steady during shooting, if that makes sense.

I don't have a ton of money as I just bought a newish car (my old one completely
broke down on me), but I need to get a new set of headlights for it and other small fixes on it. So I am not willing to spend several hundreds of dollars unless it's the best thing since sliced bread and will make the rifle feel like it's frozen in place during firing.

I have been having a hell of a time finding info via google. Too many suggestions based on hearsay, and too little based on personal experience.

Any advice?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
When I had a tavor, it had a fsc556 comp on the 16" bbl. I wouldn't use it again, there was splatter from each shot hitting my hand and forearm.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone recently recommended the BCM mod 0.  I've also read good things about the Battlecomp?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I am super impressed with the VG6 Epsilon I picked up recently. It does a great job at taming muzzle flip. I paid $66 for mine. Well worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am super impressed with the VG6 Epsilon I picked up recently. It does a great job at taming muzzle flip. I paid $66 for mine. Well worth it IMO.
View Quote

Which rifle do you use it on? The Tavor?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you're going after a technique issue with a band aid instead of fixing it.  

A good American style hold, or Israeli (six points of contact) and this rifle shouldn't move a bit.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree that you need to practice with it to learn how to control the muzzle rise and flip as it definitely handles different than just about any other type of firearm out there.

With that said, I like the miculek muzzle brake on my Tavor.  It is cheap, very effective and easy to install.  I know that it doesn't have the cool factor that some others have, but as far as effectiveness, it ranks up there with the best.  I have been running it for several months now and while the Tavor is not my go-to rifle when its time to head to the range, I have shot enough with it to know that the muzzle brake works well and doesn't have any bad manners that I have found.

Course this will soon be replaced with an Omega suppressor when my overlords finally allow me to take possession of it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
What I have on mine:
Elite Iron - CQC Elite Suppressor

You say the recoil is "violent" but compared to what?
Your stance and position are likely more the problem than what is on the muzzle. Compared to an AR there is also a difference in how the recoil is perceived due to the affects of the heavier reciprocating mass of the bolt carrier and operating group in the Tavor. The recoil of a .223 is still just .223 recoil. In fact, I would guess that your problem lies more in the system and components slamming forward during feeding, chambering, and locking, more than the actual recoil. A lot like a 1911 with an 18+ recoil spring.

My advice: Instead of spending money on the next best flashy whizz-bang for the end of your barrel, spend it on ammo and get more familiar with the feeling of your rifle. Instead of spending time searching google for how to tame the recoil of the "mighty" .223, spend it on YouTube or preferably with a more experienced shooter, learning how to anchor the weapon and your body.

That being said, if you absolutely must use a piece of equipment to compensate (pun intended) for training and experience because you have to dress up your Barbie-for-Men: A Miculek brake or one of a similar style -the type with baffles for the escaping gases to run into- do the most for countering the recoil. There is a good reason why this same concept has worked on things as big as .50 BMG and even artillery pieces for longer than both you and I combined have been shooting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the VG6 Gamma and Griffin Armament M4SD comp.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Violent recoil - on a 5,55?
(No comp is going to help with that.)

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure we're not being trolled by that reporter who whined he got PTSD from shooting an AR that bruised his shoulder? ;-)
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure we're not being trolled by that reporter who whined he got PTSD from shooting an AR that bruised his shoulder? ;-)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top