Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2016 8:51:01 PM EDT
I have two friends that have SBR'ed their Colt M4's My 16" Tavor is just as short overall and even an inch or two shorter. I thought the idea of an SBR was to have the shortest overall length. I'm old so I probably just don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have two friends that have SBR'ed their Colt M4's My 16" Tavor is just as short overall and even an inch or two shorter. I thought the idea of an SBR was to have the shortest overall length. I'm old so I probably just don't get it.
View Quote

That's the glory of the bullpup design, it's as compact as a 10in AR
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but imagine how awesomely short it would be with a 12" barrel!
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It's federal firearms law. Don't expect things to make sense. They just are.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
SBR's have their place.

" />
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^ Nice SBR there

If the only goal is the shortest overall length with a 16" barrel or something along those lines, a bullpup is certainly going to be the best choice.  What's missing is all the other factors like ergonomics, balance, perceived safety if a kaboom occurs, aftermarket support, replacement parts availability, ease of maintenance, ease of reconfiguration, ease of mounting accessories...the list goes on.  Someone may choose an SBR'ed AR15 or some other carbine over a bullpup because of any combination of factors.  It's just personal preference, nothing magical or mysterious.

I only have one bullpup currently myself, a Tavor, which I love.  But right now if I could only have one carbine, it would be my 10.5" LMT MRP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I too would rather have a bullpup vs. SBR AR when it comes to 5.56 where barrel length counts for a lot with small supersonic projectiles.  For stuff I wish to keep subsonic such as 22 LR and 300 BLK, a shorty AR is ideal IMO.  In fact, for me a longer barrel bullpup would be counterproductive in 22 LR since a shorter barrel will keep even bulk pack high velocity rounds subsonic which is nice for suppressing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

maleante -

Is that the STEYR AUG FACTORY ACCESSORY RAIL KIT on your AUG?

https://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/steyr-aug-factory-accessory-rail-kit.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you saying you don't understand why they don't just get a buildup?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I know next to nothing about Tavors except that they are bullpups. .How is the modularity?  I.e. can you quickly swap from a short 300 blk. to say a longer SPR type upper/barrel?

I've heard the triggers are not so great due to linkage?

Ergos are a big reason why people like the AR though I'm sure anyone could get used to anything.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Different strokes for different folks.  I've recently gotten the bullpup fever. Bought a Tavor, then a KSG.  Thinking my next will be an RFB.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
maleante -

Is that the STEYR AUG FACTORY ACCESSORY RAIL KIT on your AUG?

https://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/steyr-aug-factory-accessory-rail-kit.html
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm planning to cut an AUG barrel to 14" for dedicated suppressor use. So you can have both.

I need to research the gas port issue a little more.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

But your Tavor doesn't have the runt gun look that the "contractors" favor.  

To me, it never made sense why you'd SBR an AR when you could get a bullpup with better ballistics and no ATF hassle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To me, it never made sense why you'd SBR an AR when you could get a bullpup with better ballistics and no ATF hassle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I've never handled one that I felt comfortable shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing SBRs have over a bullpup is the trigger.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:I'm planning to cut an AUG barrel to 14" for dedicated suppressor use.
View Quote

Here's my factory 14"...

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trigger.

Go pound some chest-sized targets at 100 yards with 1x red dots.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

And a X95 is even shorter.  That's a SBR.  At least the good ones
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger.

Easily fixed in a Tavor at least, with a drop in after market trigger. Besides how many people here have stock triggers in all their guns?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Easily fixed in a Tavor at least, with a drop in after market trigger. Besides how many people here have stock triggers in all their guns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger.

My MSAR STG-556 has a 5.5 pound trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing I do prefer when it comes to SBRed ARs vs the vast majority of bull pups is the ability to shoot left or right handed without having to physically change something with the rifle or hold my head awkwardly.   Sure there are bullpups that are bottom/forward ejection, but they are few and far between.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Here's my factory 14"...

http://hkbeltfed.com/imgs/marvinaug.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I'm planning to cut an AUG barrel to 14" for dedicated suppressor use.

Here's my factory 14"...

http://hkbeltfed.com/imgs/marvinaug.jpg

Wish I could get my paws on a factory 14" AUG bbl.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Personal preference and ease of access, in my opinion.  My 16" Tavor is shorter than my 10.3" SBR overall.  The SBR is lighter and has a Geissele SSA-E trigger while the Tavor has a TAV-D.  The AR has a better trigger but it's not a huge difference.  Buy what you enjoy, the Tavor doesn't require the NFA hassle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Because an HK SBR killed Osama Binladen.  That ought to be enough for anybody.

LOL!...but seriously, SBR AR's are popular because like any AR the parts configuration is almost limitless.  You can also tune an SBR AR to just about any suppressor and/or ammo.  Using very decent parts you can probably build two SBR AR's for the price of one bullpup.  I own a 10.5", 14.5", 16", 18", and 20" 5.56 AR...along with a pair of AR10 .308's.  I also own a Tavor, AUG, and RFB.  I like them all, and they all have a place.  I think there's a clear reason many special forces units use the SBR for missions where long distance shots are highly unlikely.  At a full 100 yards my 10.5 AR with a red dot shoots about as good as my two 5.56 bullpups with red dots.  The military and special forces units are extremely familiar with the AR platform, and for closer quarters, the SBR AR's do quite well.  The real beauty of the bullpup is the ability to bridge the gap more effectively between CQB and longer distance shooting.  After a 100 yards my 10.5 AR degrades quickly in accuracy and terminal ballistics.  Military guys aren't usually going it alone.  They work in units of varying sizes with weapons selection that cover the bases for the given mission.  My 10.5 AR was my most recent AR build, and I was surprised at how well it performed.  It is basically the same length as my Tavor and AUG when the stock is fully collapsed.  No one gun does it all for all shooters or all conditions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am left handed, most bullpups are not going to work well for me.
And a Betamag will work well in a forward magwell for me.

I would own a bullpup, if it was left friendly and competitively priced.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trigger.

Is it glass-break good?  Ready for some long-range precision work?

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]
What about price.  You can build a SBR using and AR including the TAX stamp for less then half the price of most the Bull pup's on the market. A shooting buddy of mine built a SBR using a SIG 516 and it was still about 500 cheaper then bull pups in my area. My only SBR is an AR9. With the tax stamp I have around $750 invested. A 9mm Tavor will cost over $2000. That's a lot of ammo and accessories'.  I still  prefer my AUG to SBR AR.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger.

Well, yes, but the AR aftermarket triggers are by far the best.

It's just like with a high end 1911.

I like nice triggers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Bullpups have their place and I'd love to have one, but the AR is just so easily modified to specific preferences.

You can't do that with any current bullpup that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trigger.

Not glass rod good, but good enough for mid range (250-500yards) practical shooting. The ergonomics of the design adds inherent stability that an AR-15 doesn't have, and this offsets the slop in the trigger fairly well.

It is not set up for long range precision work. For that, I'd choose something other than a 16" 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Even with the long Smith Enterprise Vortex on the muzzle the Tavor is shorter than a 10" AR-15.  Plus it has the ballistically superior 16" barrel with more muzzle velocity.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p533/chuck_f_s/Service%20Rifles/IMG_1828c_zps2c511a20.jpg

-- Chuck
View Quote

You cheated in that picture, stock is not retracted completely.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top