Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2016 6:23:54 PM EDT
I'm considering getting an AUG A3 M1 sometime this summer. Which standard optic is better on the M1, 1.5x or 3x? How easy is it to switch the optic out for a rail on the the receiver if I decide to do so?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is your only AUG go with the 1.5x.

4mm hex socket or T wrench is what you need.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thought of this afterwards, is putting a microdot on top of the optic a viable option or does that remove the cheek weld too much? If it doesn't 3x may be a good idea I imagine
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I found that an RMR on top of the optic housing is a bit too high for my liking. It works, but there's no cheek weld, more like a chin weld.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the 3x
I have an RMR mounted on the 45deg rail, a small twist and you go from 3x to dot and dot to 3x, all without loosing cheek weld
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
To each their own.  If you want a general purpose optic for indoor combat (a good venue for a bullpup), then 1.5X   If you want a  for General Purpose Rifle (which may include some hunting and field shooting at more than 200 yards), then the 3X.  

For me, I prefer the 3X, as I found in my own experience, it's just more general, than 1.5X.  I used to have a magnifier and RDS combo on my M4.  One day I finally noticed I never (as in never), used it without the magnifier anyway, so why am I doing this?  I've since switched everything combat related to low magnification fixed power, and haven't really regretted it.  In things like very close quarter shooting like 3-gun at 10 yards, the 3X will slow you down some, RDS (which isn't so different than 1.5X) does have its place.  But I really don't care for RDS for anything other than <25 yard shooting.  The AUG is a rifle, not a pistol.  For general field use, when trying to glass out critters outside, and trying to shoot for good precision, I just like the general purpose 3X.  

If your gun is going to be a more dedicated 3-gun rig, then 1.5X is the better way to go.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the 3x
I have an RMR mounted on the 45deg rail, a small twist and you go from 3x to dot and dot to 3x, all without loosing cheek weld
View Quote

So, in the comfort of home, I've tested this.  And indeed found mounting a micro-RDR on the side of the scope, gives a wonderful RDS field of view with just a small twist, and the same check weld.  I mean this arrangement was just ideal.  

However, I also observed it positions the ejector port right in front of my face - and brass-eye looked pretty high probability.  How have you managed this?

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To each their own.  If you want a general purpose optic for indoor combat (a good venue for a bullpup), then 1.5X   If you want a  for General Purpose Rifle (which may include some hunting and field shooting at more than 200 yards), then the 3X.  

For me, I prefer the 3X, as I found in my own experience, it's just more general, than 1.5X.  I used to have a magnifier and RDS combo on my M4.  One day I finally noticed I never (as in never), used it without the magnifier anyway, so why am I doing this?  I've since switched everything combat related to low magnification fixed power, and haven't really regretted it.  In things like very close quarter shooting like 3-gun at 10 yards, the 3X will slow you down some, RDS (which isn't so different than 1.5X) does have its place.  But I really don't care for RDS for anything other than <25 yard shooting.  The AUG is a rifle, not a pistol.  For general field use, when trying to glass out critters outside, and trying to shoot for good precision, I just like the general purpose 3X.  

If your gun is going to be a more dedicated 3-gun rig, then 1.5X is the better way to go.  

View Quote

I live in the plains of Kansas so having the ability to see a little further helps. I'm also in law enforcement and work for a small enough agency that I can pretty much carry anything I want so long as I can qualify with it. I normally use a 20" AR with straight irons, a 18" AR with AIMPOINT PRO and a 16" AR with EOTECH and 3X magnifier depending on what kind of mood I'm in that day. I was thinking something shorter without losing velocity in 5.56 may be cool to experiment  with. I also collect military firearms so there is also a fun factor involved in this decision as well. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the 3x with a Micro RDS mounted on top or the side for my purposes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a T2 on one, COMP M3 on another and looking at trying out a Primary Arms micro on another.  I prefer the T2.  I started out with a LaRue 661 but I ended up bumping it up to the 660HK.  It seems to work better for me.  

The rail is easy to swap out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thought of this afterwards, is putting a microdot on top of the optic a viable option or oes that remove the cheek weld too much? If it doesn't 3x may be a good idea I imagine
View Quote
it's doable but as stated before you'll be working with different cheek positions.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's doable but as stated before you'll be working with different cheek positions.
View Quote

I was never interested in the RMR until your report on it when you first put it on the AUG. I bought one because of that but couldn't adapt well to it. Ended up giving it to my brother who tried to like it too on his M1, but in the last week or so he ended up selling the RMR.

The M1 optic is too high for dual optics. Breaking your cheek weld to go to a wobbly "chin weld" with a top mounted optic isn't a viable option for anything but static shooting - in my opinion. If the SF optic housing ever makes it here, I'll reevaluate my view, but until then I won't be putting any optics atop the 4 M1's I have that have permanent optic housings.

It's just not a good or ideal setup.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was never interested in the RMR until your report on it when you first put it on the AUG. I bought one because of that but couldn't adapt well to it. Ended up giving it to my brother who tried to like it too on his M1, but in the last week or so he ended up selling the RMR.

The M1 optic is too high for dual optics. Breaking your cheek weld to go to a wobbly "chin weld" with a top mounted optic isn't a viable option for anything but static shooting - in my opinion. If the SF optic housing ever makes it here, I'll reevaluate my view, but until then I won't be putting any optics atop the 4 M1's I have that have permanent optic housings.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's doable but as stated before you'll be working with different cheek positions.

Is there even a snowballs chance in hell of that. I remember there was a thread saying unlikely but didn't you all get some rare long barrel South American dmr setup stuff recently to give some hope of strange stuff like that maybe being possible in the future?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't find it any more difficult than a piggyback on a Acog or HK g36 dual optic but it's certainly not the best set up. I agree the SF optic would be a much better setup to run a piggyback.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd only get the OEM optic if you have to have the AUG 'look' otherwise I would go with a 1-4/6X optic.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I have tried an Aimpoint Micro, a regular Aimpoint on a low mount, and a Primary Arms Advanced Micro dot and have had similar results.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this was my experience as well.  At first glance it looks doable, but  you end up with a goofy chin-weld, and it's just not that stable or secure - or natural.  You can force the issue and I'm sure with a lot of training, make it work.  But for most people - it just doesn't work that well, and isn't worth screwing with.

I will say that a micro-dot RDS hanging off the side of scope fits really great, and works with the same check weld as the regular scope, you just rotate the gun in your hands slightly, and there it is.  Sort of like those 45degree iron-sight rigs 3-gunners use..  But I never was brave enough to actually fire the gun like that, because I'm pretty sure you're going to be ejecting brass right into your eye if you hold and shoot the AUG like that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I live in the plains of Kansas so having the ability to see a little further helps. I'm also in law enforcement and work for a small enough agency that I can pretty much carry anything I want so long as I can qualify with it. I normally use a 20" AR with straight irons, a 18" AR with AIMPOINT PRO and a 16" AR with EOTECH and 3X magnifier depending on what kind of mood I'm in that day. I was thinking something shorter without losing velocity in 5.56 may be cool to experiment  with. I also collect military firearms so there is also a fun factor involved in this decision as well. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the 3x with a Micro RDS mounted on top or the side for my purposes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never really cared for the fixed power factory optic myself. The stadia lines were too thick for my liking.
Beautiful glass...just offered no versatility.
The 1.5 without an illuminated reticle is pointless - Especially at night/dusk/dawn
It was a novel idea on the original design in the 70's - but hardly translates to today's implementation.

I have carried my AUGA3 as well for duty. .
I switched to a variable 1.5 to 6 power with a 30mm tube. (From an Eotech)
The ability to dial in a magnification on felony traffic stops or check out a window in a building from
a block away on a barricaded suspect made the AUG much more practical in use.
The Australians I've talked with use an Aimpoint on top of the factory optic and HATE the cheek weld (none)
An RMR on top just lacks the robustness for any "real world" use...First doorframe it hits on an building entry
- it's gone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never really cared for the fixed power factory optic myself. The stadia lines were too thick for my liking.
The 1.5 without an illuminated reticle is pointless - Especially at night/dusk/dawn
It was a novel idea on the original design in the 70's - but hardly translates to today's implementation.

The ability to dial in a magnification on felony traffic stops or check out a window in a building from
The Australians I've talked with use an Aimpoint on top of the factory optic and HATE the cheek weld (none)
An RMR on top just lacks the robustness for any "real world" use...First doorframe it hits on an building entry
- it's gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- it's gone.

I was considering the 3x M1 and putting a primary arms micro dot on the top, I suspect that would be less prone to failure being smacked around compared to the RMR, though the likelyhood of a chin weld is concerning. You make some pretty good points with the lack of illumination and variable settings on the 3x. I still think I'll try it out and buy one of the flat top rails down the road if need be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top