User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I see plastic anywhere near the barrel, I can't help but wonder.  

Maybe I don't understand the interaction of parts and materials here, but looking back on what happened with the G36, where the barrel trunion was seated in plastic and when heated, moved around randomly affecting accuracy I wonder:

How does this system forestall a similar issue?

If someone could describe how this is set up such that it's not a concern I'd appreciate it.  

View Quote

They likely designed this prior to the information about the G36 issues coming to light.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When I see plastic anywhere near the barrel, I can't help but wonder.  

Maybe I don't understand the interaction of parts and materials here, but looking back on what happened with the G36, where the barrel trunion was seated in plastic and when heated, moved around randomly affecting accuracy I wonder:

How does this system forestall a similar issue?

If someone could describe how this is set up such that it's not a concern I'd appreciate it.  

View Quote

The difference I believe is that the G-36 had no metal linkage between the sights/rail and the barrel, so when the barrel moved due to the heat affecting the polymer, it changed the point of impact.

It looks like the rail here is integral to the design of the barrel/receiver assembly and that it is directly interfaced with the barrel.

Just what I see from looking at the picture - I haven't seen or handled this thing in person.

That said, I'm buying one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know what they weigh?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

7.2 lbs for the 16" and 7.5 lbs for the 20".  i dont know if that includes an optic or not.  For comparison, the 20" Aug-A1 weighs 7.9 lbs with the built in optic.  iirc, the A3 and M1 weigh more

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

7.2 lbs for the 16" and 7.5 lbs for the 20".  i dont know if that includes an optic or not.  For comparison, the 20" Aug-A1 weighs 7.9 lbs with the built in optic.  iirc, the A3 and M1 weigh more

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That weight, and the brass deflector alone make me interested.

Can't understand why Steyr hasn't added something as simple as a brass deflector over the years.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Can't understand why Steyr hasn't added something as simple as a brass deflector over the years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An Australian army member over at Lightfighter uses the 9mm AUG stock because of the built-in deflector

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a really REALLY rare removable deflector that Steyr made. When mounted it looks identical to the 9mm stock ejection port.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

An Australian army member over at Lightfighter uses the 9mm AUG stock because of the built-in deflector

http://www.zib-militaria.de/WebRoot/Store8/Shops/61431412/5230/70A6/26D7/CA1E/40AA/C0A8/28B8/AF62/2137.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.zib-militaria.de/WebRoot/Store8/Shops/61431412/5230/70A6/26D7/CA1E/40AA/C0A8/28B8/AF62/2137.jpg

Yep, works fine for both .223/5.56 and 9mm.  Some seem to believe their 9mm stock is 'collectible'...but I just shoot mine.

Overall, I like the F90, and I'm waiting to see the impact:
1.  Steyr blew it - they could have done a deal, now I expect it to cut into AUG sales if it comes to light.
1.a. Do I pick up a second AUG (after the MDR shows up) or do I pick up an F90 for dedicated 5.56 and keep the AUG as a dedicated 9mm host them?  (Steyr, you don't want me or others thinking this..).
2.  Any 'response' from Steyr at all to show they're alive and capable of making very minor modifications/updates to the AUG?

I am wondering if the hammer packs interchange...but assuming it to be likely.
Would love to see them offer caliber conversions if it comes to light, but who knows how long and IF that might ever happen.

I think I'll be in for one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Well their Facebook page has disappeared .. not usually a good sign.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just met with them today, they are most certainly still in business.

Sven
Manticore Arms
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Did they mention anything about Austrian displeasure or legal mumbo jumbo?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just met with them today, they are most certainly still in business.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Fantastic, any word on ATF approvals or releases? I want one! :D
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Good. I've been wanting these for a while now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing you can share but maybe enough to infer?
Thales/Lithgow will need US made compliance parts. A lot of those parts could be made from plastic. Perhaps Sven knows someone who designs and produces plastic gun parts...
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I as well could never figure out "why" Steyr never upgraded their stocks to include
some sort of brass deflector in their military and civilian models or some sort of retrofit.

Personally I think the F90 is a product improved variant ....to an affect, It's what the Steyr "should've"
developed into over the past 40 years....I think the MSAR did some interesting ideas with a fluted barrel,
side rails on the receiver etc....if it were not for the owner/management issues and notable QC issues - it
would've been a great product.
(I've always wondered what happened to the tooling at MSAR......)

Steyr suffers to me what (European) companies like Glock, Hk and Walther do as well..... They are slow to change to the market.
(I still don't like the new fixed power optic Steyr brought back - it was a shit ass idea even back in the 70's
and still is today - along with the very outdated Tulip flash hider (factory threaded on with red Loc-title
and the very odd thread pitch)

With the intro of the F90. It will be yet another kick in the balls to US Steyr AUG sales....

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I as well could never figure out "why" Steyr never upgraded their stocks to include

some sort of brass deflector in their military and civilian models or some sort of retrofit.

Personally I think the F90 is a product improved variant ....to an affect, It's what the Steyr "should've"

developed into over the past 40 years....I think the MSAR did some interesting ideas with a fluted barrel,

side rails on the receiver etc....if it were not for the owner/management issues and notable QC issues - it

Steyr suffers to me what (European) companies like Glock, Hk and Walther do as well..... They are slow to change to the market.

(I still don't like the new fixed power optic Steyr brought back - it was a shit ass idea even back in the 70's

and still is today - along with the very outdated Tulip flash hider (factory threaded on with red Loc-title

With the intro of the F90. It will be yet another kick in the balls to US Steyr AUG sales....

View Quote

wth is wrong with the tulip flash hider?

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in this camp. What's wrong with the tulip flash hider?

Steyr has a brake/flash hider for the AUG that supports A2 birdcage type QD suppressors. That's what originally was on the SDI A3's and is what Steyr still uses on A3 and SF military/police guns.

The AUG tulip type flash hider is very effective (the F90 still uses it) and because people asked for it with the 2012 reintroduction of the A3, that's what we got. If someone wants to remove the device and replace it, there are a few choices that allow for mounting of popular suppressors.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With the intro of the F90. It will be yet another kick in the balls to US Steyr AUG sales...
View Quote

Guaranteed, but from what I was told the Austrians don't care because they're flush with military orders, being set for years.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#21]
The tulip is very dated.
Shooting my A1 ( with closed Tulip) and my A3 side by side was a very different
recoil impulse. The A3 was a lot more effective with rapid fire. (The Tulip seemed to push more)
There is a multitude of better designs out there to choose from. I have been very
impressed with the Battle Comps on my AR's
I hope Steyr has good sales lined up...there is a lot of competition out there on the world market.
for military sales etc...I mean the company has soaked up a lot of loss I am sure from past
Gun legislation here in the US, since the '89 ban. (Civvies sales)

(....my opinions are just that - opinions. Please don't misconstrue them as though I am
telling anyone here that you don't know what your talking about.....
There's a lot lost it seems in threads regarding "intent" often times and my posts are just
discussion points..
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried attaching a suppressor to it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well their Facebook page has disappeared .. not usually a good sign.
View Quote

yeah, i just noticed this

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Factory rep was at LGS with the only 2 semi auto rifles that are in country.  He was buying a couple aug mags, no idea of the story behind that.   Let us all handle it, felt good.  Trigger weight was nice for a bullpup but had tons of creep before break.

If I had known the discussion over which part would be serialized, I would have asked him for an update.  He mentioned the ability to quickly change barrels and calibers so I automatically assumed there was a serialized receiver like every other gun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Whats the import schedule on these?

Also, lithgow said they were importing bolt rifles two years ago. I haven't seen them which bodes poorly for the future of this.
If you cant get a .22 bolt in  you'll never get around to a semi with lots of compliance  issues.

I will buy one if available though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like a FS200 and Aug love child.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I hope they provide it in this colorway. I've been hoping this rifle would come to the US for years.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I already talked with them about this, the OD/tan colorway is definitely a possibility.  
View Quote

Next time you talk to them, let them know they are more than welcome to give some sort of sign to the public that they are alive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lithgow USA is alive, I just talked to them on Monday and they confirmed the semiauto F90's will be at Bullpup Shoot 2016 for the public the demo shoot.

They are just waiting on ATF approval to start importation, the ball is in ATF's court and Lithgow USA is in a holding pattern until ATF gives them the approval.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I already talked with them about this, the OD/tan colorway is definitely a possibility.  

Next time you talk to them, let them know they are more than welcome to give some sort of sign to the public that they are alive.

Lithgow USA is alive, I just talked to them on Monday and they confirmed the semiauto F90's will be at Bullpup Shoot 2016 for the public the demo shoot.

They are just waiting on ATF approval to start importation, the ball is in ATF's court and Lithgow USA is in a holding pattern until ATF gives them the approval.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Can we assume that Lithgow USA will make enough parts in the US so the rifle will not be neutered? Will it actually be the same as the pictures?

EDIT:

Just found this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/23/lithgow-arms-usa-importing-thales-aus-ef88f90-atrax-rifle-nra-2016/

Article says the MSRP is around $2000.00 and Lithgow USA hopes to start selling before Shot Show 2017, so could be a while.....

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Want.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I want the black mags...like now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#37]
No like the ones on page one and two of this thread.  While I appreciate another vendor making products for AUGs I love the design of the original mags.  I would say that if magpul made AUG stocks with built in brass deflectors in Black, OD, FDE and UDE I would be purchasing at least four new stocks.  The ergonomics of the AUG are spot on for me but the deflector would be a much welcomed improvement.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No like the ones on page one and two of this thread.  While I appreciate another vendor making products for AUGs I love the design of the original mags.  I would say that if magpul made AUG stocks with built in brass deflectors in Black, OD, FDE and UDE I would be purchasing at least four new stocks.  The ergonomics of the AUG are spot on for me but the deflector would be a much welcomed improvement.
View Quote

I like the look of the original mags too, but, the Magpul mags do correct a few issues the originals have. There is a deflector that is made by Manticore.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would say that if magpul made AUG stocks with built in brass deflectors in Black, OD, FDE and UDE I would be purchasing at least four new stocks.  The ergonomics of the AUG are spot on for me but the deflector would be a much welcomed improvement.
View Quote

It would be great if Magpul made an aftermarket stock, but it's probably unlikely.
How many AUG owners would have to buy a stock for Magpul to get their money out of the project? Beside the plastic stock body, Magpul would need recoil guide rods (on the AUG they are installed by hand after the stock is molded), trigger, linkage, ejection port plate and cover and bolt release button. Seems like a lot more complicated design compared to their drop in plastic stocks that have no additional hardware.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Very true.  I am still hoping someone will step in and make stocks with a built in brass deflector though.  I know it may never happen.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like the look of the original mags too, but, the Magpul mags do correct a few issues the originals have. There is a deflector that is made by Manticore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What issues have you had with the Steyr mags?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very true.  I am still hoping someone will step in and make stocks with a built in brass deflector though.  I know it may never happen.
View Quote

Just the plastic ejection stock molds would cost over $125,000 to make and that doesn't include engineering cost which would be in the thousands, then the vibratory welding machine would cost you $150,000.

So it would take roughly $300,000 to make a stock, that is with no complications! Then you would need the rest of the parts to finish it which would cost around $50,000

Those figures don't include pricing for the prototypes before you spend the big bucks!

Whole lot of money to make an aftermarket AUG stock

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I am sure it is not cheap to start from scratch but it doesn't change the fact that a stock with an integrated brass deflector is a design improvement regardless of who manufactures it.  I know I would buy the stocks.  I might be on my own in that I don't know.  I'm sure my only hope is that Steyr decides to make the change which is highly unlikely IMO.  I love my AUGs but there is always room for improvement.

I believe I have sort of hijacked this thread and I apologize.  To get to a more related topic, Pete is there any chance of seeing these black mags in the US?  If so, do you plan on stocking them?  

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a reputation for not taking heat well, and if you slap a fully loaded magazine into the mag well it can pop a round out. The Magpul mags are also thinner than the stock mags.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am sure it is not cheap to start from scratch but it doesn't change the fact that a stock with an integrated brass deflector is a design improvement regardless of who manufactures it.  I know I would buy the stocks.  I might be on my own in that I don't know.  I'm sure my only hope is that Steyr decides to make the change which is highly unlikely IMO.  I love my AUGs but there is always room for improvement.

I believe I have sort of hijacked this thread and I apologize.  To get to a more related topic, Pete is there any chance of seeing these black mags in the US?  If so, do you plan on stocking them?  

View Quote

It's not really a thread hijack, Australia saw the need for a brass deflector and Incorporated that into the design. The F90 is supposed to be an improvement over the Steyr AUG in some much needed ways.
Once I buy one I'll be able to see for myself whether parts incompatibility with the Steyr AUG is worth a lighter package and brass deflector.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

...and that right there is why I invented the Brass Buster.  

Sven
Manticore Arms

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the plastic ejection stock molds would cost over $125,000 to make and that doesn't include engineering cost which would be in the thousands, then the vibratory welding machine would cost you $150,000.

So it would take roughly $300,000 to make a stock, that is with no complications! Then you would need the rest of the parts to finish it which would cost around $50,000

Those figures don't include pricing for the prototypes before you spend the big bucks!

Whole lot of money to make an aftermarket AUG stock

...and that right there is why I invented the Brass Buster.  

Sven
Manticore Arms

And when are they going to be back in stock?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top