Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 12:36:55 PM EDT
I got one of the recent Gen6(?) 9mm kits from Pete some time back, so the barrel is umolested.  I know RatWorx was threading their kits (1/2x28 IIRC).

Now I find myself in the can "game" and wishing I had a threaded 9mm AUG barrel....given the state of kit imports I can't imagine there are any barrels NOT tied to kits, so I don't see it likely that I could get another barrel.

I've been going back and forth mentally for some time now, and turning to the group for their thoughts/suggestions/advice....

Options:
1) Leave my existing kit alone, shoot and enjoy it (as I do now) in it's original state and forgo suppression for this gun.
+ original unmolested 9mm kit for "collector" or "resale" value/reasons
- lose cool and fun factor of suppressed 9mm AUG

2) Send barrel off to be threaded
-potentially lose "collector" value
-risk of loss in shipping or freak lathe accident or whatever ruining a currently working barrel
+cans!

If I were to go Option 2, then what thread should I use?
a) 1/2x28 for common thread adapters
b) 1/2x36 for common Colt-style 9mm thread adapters
c) M13.5x1LH to use same thread adapters as my HK pistols
d) other?

What are the groups' thoughts?

TIA!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two 6th gen kits and an extra 5th gen barrel that one day will turn into a third kit.
One of the 6th gen kits is going to be cut and threaded 13.5x1 and when not suppressed it will have an A3 compensator/flashhider on it. If the muzzle device can't be straight rethreaded  from 13x1 to 13x1.5 then I could weld the existing threading and rethread for 13x1.5 (probably an expensive job) but it would give a 9mmxs clone pretty easily.

I've seen tornado tech does AUG barrels specifically, but haven't used them before. Don't know if adco will work on AUG barrels?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
an extra 5th gen barrel that one day will turn into a third kit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
an extra 5th gen barrel that one day will turn into a third kit.

Well if all you have of the 5th gen kit is the barrel...and you ever decide to drop that idea, you know a guy who might be willing to take that barrel off your hands

Quoted:
One of the 6th gen kits is going to be cut and threaded 13.5x1 and when not suppressed it will have an A3 compensator/flashhider on it.
...snip...
would give a 9mmxs clone pretty easily.

That's interesting and would be pretty cool looking - I had kicked around a 3-lug adapter for practicality even if the aesthetics seem all wrong.  Never thought about trying to get a tulip on there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It will be cool looking and it's an easy clone.
Just need to get that particular barrel rail.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I will have to go through my kits(one aug 9 & one tavor 9)and had them both threaded, iirc, but to what is the big question.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My aug 9mm is threaded 1/2X36 by RatWorx.

My Tavor kit can wait until tomorrow since we are keeping the Grandson.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have two 6th gen kits and an extra 5th gen barrel that one day will turn into a third kit.

One of the 6th gen kits is going to be cut and threaded 13.5x1 and when not suppressed it will have an A3 compensator/flashhider on it. If the muzzle device can't be straight rethreaded  from 13x1 to 13x1.5 then I could weld the existing threading and rethread for 13x1.5 (probably an expensive job) but it would give a 9mmxs clone pretty easily.

I've seen tornado tech does AUG barrels specifically, but haven't used them before. Don't know if adco will work on AUG barrels?
View Quote

I don't know how the 9mm kits come, but I can attest that Adco will work on Steyr barrels.

I had them reprofile one of my 16" barrels to cut down on some weight, and also had them do their "thread repair service".  

The result was the lightest AUG barrel I have personally seen, and one that will also accept any 1/2x28 muzzle device.  The "thread repair service" does not cut or shorten the barrel in any way, FYI.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top