Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2016 3:23:23 PM EDT
So alas was having a somewhat down day due to oil prices, listening to the election garbage all day, and just realizing how we seem to be circling the drain. Went home and decided to go for a quick hike before bed to liven me up. I usually call buddies or take family with me but wanted to just kinda whoosaa on my own in the hills and just focus on loving Wyoming. Well needless to say I was out walking one of my favorite ridge lines not thinking much of it. I was walking along a rocky section were you have to kinda mountain goat hop Boulder to Boulder. I was about three hops in when my old worn out boots slid on the sand stone rocks. I rolled to my side and tucked thinking I was going down the 50' drop. I lucked out and the weight of my pack pulled me backwards and my leg wedged between two rocks and stopped me. Tweaked my knee a little bit overall I was vary lucky. Now onto the shit part.... While doing my amazing slide pivot twist and flail and fall. I managed to launch my Tavor right off the cliff! That's what I get for having it slung only on my neck!

But I will say after tumbling down the rocks and down some rock slurry. The tavor faired pretty well, snapped my rails and lost my light some were in the rock field but my acog and Tavor made it ok.. Even held zero...I will say I found a interesting fault with the rail systems for this gun. The key slots and holes all over let sand and dirt fill the stock full of crap... The trigger was so gritty and nasty I dumped out the dirt and washed it with my water but man it had a bunch of crap in it.... But overall I am pretty impressed at the beating it took. IwI your tar21 is Wyoming approved haha....

I apologize I didn't get pics of the initial carnage I was to pissed about launching my gun and loosing my light.... I snapped a few when I got home managed to find the rail pieces looks like it hit a rock dead on right at the bottom...
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the rifle is tougher than the rail. Wonder how the stock handguard would have held up.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it must have just hit perfect on the corner. It snapped three screws and cracked right threw the key mods on the impact side. I love these rails and they were still tight and operational so they preformed amazing. Just the impact cracked the top part, I just was amazed at how much dirt filled the body when it was sliding down the hill. The trigger and clip on the inside were just packed solid with dirt and small rocks. I can see why the original rails were not slotted. I have taken my other threw a few rivers and the water drains out the holes on the bottom well but man that dirt holy cow. I can see if something like that happened in the field it could cause some serious problems. The gun is pretty well sealed form the front to the back. Just the charging handle was blocked and the trigger/ trigger rod  were packed in some serious dirt.

And I am probably making this sound way more hard core then it was. I am by know means faulting Midwest they make amazing products I am sure the factory rail would have cracked also. If I would have went with the gun I know I would have been looking worse then the rails forsure haha. Just a interesting adventure with one of the Tavors.... The gun didn't get really all that scratched up either just dirty. I think it must have mostly tumbled end over end. The barrel and stock pad had some skuffs but not anything crazy. I think it was the sandstone rocks at the bottom that killed the rails... I was expecting to get down and see the gun in two pieces...figured I made it out not to bad haha
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I was xc skiing in crappy snow conditions a few weeks ago and had my 8.5 ar pistol on me.... after a few rough wipeouts do to icy/frozen then warm snow patch my poor AR was packed with snow. Good lesson on Wyoming mountain trails for me. Thankfully I only scratched mine up a little, nothing as bad as yours.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the rifle is tougher than the rail. Wonder how the stock handguard would have held up.

AJ
View Quote

Yeah, I agree on that handguard.  We often joke about and demean plastic, but sometimes you gotta give it credit for impact resistance in many cases.  I'm kind of amazed that the sore thumb of a charging handle looks relatively unscathed too.  Sparks...glad you didn't go on down the slide with the gun.  Still, the gun looks pretty good all things considered.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Man, talk about a rough day, and sorry to see that your forend got smashed.

It wasn't our forend system, but PM me your address and we will ship you out a Manticore  ARClight XTL forend for free just to help a fellow Tavor owner recover from a bad day.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

God damn OUTSTANDING people right here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Sven! you are the man! I would flippen love that! You are amazing! Thank you brother of the gun....!!!!

I will give them a good home and try not to throw them off any cliffs... I seriously think it was the lord putting me back on track I was all bummed out and that quick few seconds reminded me that things aren't that bad... Could have smoked my head and taken a permanent dirt nap...

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sparks,

It wasn't our forend system, but PM me your address and we will ship you out a Manticore  ARClight XTL forend for free just to help a fellow Tavor owner recover from a bad day.  

Sven
Manticore Arms

This. Very cool.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

AWESOME!!!! Manticore Arms Rocks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Well played Sir!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to see you are alright and that the Tavor survived. I dropped one of mine over the side of a quarry one time. Didn't fall as far as yours but survived with just a few minor scratches. In any case nice write up

p.s. Sven to the rescue I see. Good on you!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

You sir, have just found yourself a new customer. Once I get some money together, I'll be buying a few products from you guys because of this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll be earning more of my business

Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms

Nice. I'm going to be getting a Tavor in the next week or less when my dealer finds a good deal on one. I will look into your rail system. I looked at it, but just not close at any rails yet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread - restoring faith in humanity.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread - restoring faith in humanity.
View Quote

After today's events, amen brother maleante, amen.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I always wondered how those keymod rails would hold up when crushed compared to the older style rails.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad you're okay sparks!
Good example of tough guys needing tough guns.

+1 Sven. You'll be hearing from me soon, too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sparks,

Sven

Manticore Arms

That is awesome stuff right there!

OP, glad you are OK.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You sir, have just found yourself a new customer. Once I get some money together, I'll be buying a few products from you guys because of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sparks,

Sven

Manticore Arms

This.

I know where I'm buying my Tavor rails now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Adding one more to the list:  

Manticore  -the first place to shop for accessories.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad your OK brother. Tavor took a beating and kept on rocking. That should shut some of the haters up.
And big Props to Manicure Arms, been waiting for your new stock to arrive so I can purchase some stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Righteous. Simply Righteous.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you're ok man. It's crazy how quickly things can go wrong when out walking in nature.

Solid move by Manticore as well.

Oh and I want a Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

now that is awesome

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
now that is awesome

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sparks,

Sven

Manticore Arms

now that is awesome

No shit!

I'm gonna go toss my Tavor off a cliff!

No.  No I'm not.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Manticore, start making stuff for the RDB, thx
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

That is as good as it gets!  You are a great guy Sven!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Oneupsmanship...when throwing your AR down the driveway just isn't enough.  

Glad both you and your Tavor survived, OP.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know you've been here too long when that's the first thing you think of.   I've been here too long
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep just made plans with my buddies to go work on some repelling this weekend I'll snap some picks of my ledge of idiotness.... I'll try and not throw any guns this weekend...
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Sparks,

Sven

Manticore Arms
View Quote

very cool thing to do.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

should be OP's sigline....

followed by MANTICORE RULES
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#36]
The ACOG holding zero seems to be flying under the radar in this thread.  It sounds quite impressive to me.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The ACOG holding zero seems to be flying under the radar in this thread.  It sounds quite impressive to me.

View Quote
Well, it is an ACOG after all.  That's just the expectation.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Wow!!!  Good on you Manticore Arms!!

What a generous thing to do, seriously awesome.  

Sparks......   glad you are ok.  Should of called me you bastard.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Glad your ok Sparks! Getting free swag is nice but hell man, you lying out in the prairie hurt don't sit right.

Glad your ok, plus it's good you didn't hurt yourself, how are you supposed to put on 3-gun when your screwed up?

I see the rail didn't fair well but how about the rifle itself, functioning like a champ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep gun made it ok it must have tumbled end over end the flash hider and stock pad were skuffed up pretty good but nothing horrible. The rails must have just smoked a rock at some point just right. I will say I am super impressed by the acog and its mount, and the Tavor....pretty solid gun.... Looks like when the rails Get in I'll be doing a rattle can joby on this one... I think I'll go out this weekend and see if I can find my surefire scout... guess poly 1913 rail was a bad call shoulda went with metal.... Note to self... The bcm gunfighter made its ok though...

A before pic from a few months ago I'll post pics of the beast with its knew manticore love!
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Thats great news, everything I have got from Manticore Arms is great and I think this shows how good their customer service is!
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I am even more proud of my Renegade handguards and Nightbrakes on my Yugos now.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

this right here is awesome! im pretty new to the tavor owner group but this just guaranteed ill be purchasing your products first.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sparks,

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Damnnnnnnnn, THAT is AWESOME.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Sparks, is that a 16" with an AAC 51t Blackout and the MI Extended Keymod rail?

Because if so, you've answered my question about those all fitting together.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Well damn, was up in the air about MI vs Manticore for my Tavor, after this class act move by manticore ... my moneys going to them.... Amazing
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sparks, is that a 16" with an AAC 51t Blackout and the MI Extended Keymod rail?

Because if so, you've answered my question about those all fitting together.
View Quote

It is, they work together but if you mount the mi flash light kit with any light that extends past the rails the suppressor will not fit. You can mount a surefire scout inside the rail by clamping it to the light bezzel but it does cut some of the beam and puts a crazy shadow at the 12 o'clock. I realized that with this set up the can was not going to work. I will snap some pics when the new rails come in because I think the manticore rails you can mount the light in a little deeper. This might fix this issue... I'll post pics when the rails come in and I get it set back up...

Thanks again to a awesome company

Sorry about the horrible grammar and spelling typing one handed with the kids sleeping on me watching frozen....haha I always get stuck watching the end by myself even my wife is out haha
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#48]

I have had days like that one and I knew even before you mentioned it, that as soon as you had grasp what just about happened to you, your perspective was instantly improved.

I always figured that, yeah thought was in a preoccupied state, that somehow the universe had just given me a wake up call.

You've got to look for the good in things.

Awesome gesture Manticore.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Manticore arms you rock!!!!!

I am going to order some more parts and set this one up as a Tavor dmr style... These rails look really good with a can... I bet I can put a bipod and in the rails a light and still have enough room... This is a nice addition to the Tavor.... I liked the MI rails but I am really liking the feel of these rails! Super excited to run them hard this summer and see how they do!! Will be doing a paint job too to cover some love marks haha....  Thank you Sven!!!!!

I'll post pics when I get this Israeli girl finished up I am thinking I will save up and run a 1-6 mark 6 leupold on this one.... Amazing gun!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top