Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2016 11:21:53 PM EDT
I have to get one.  Manticore Arms or wait for the gearhead worx.  Anybody played with them?  The manticore is out of stock, otherwise id have ordered it an hour ago.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Played with a GH at SHOT was was impressed. It is designed for a standard length handguard so if your Tavor has a extended hadnguard I would say the MA, but on anything else I would wait for the GH.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Played with a GH at SHOT was was impressed. It is designed for a standard length handguard so if your Tavor has a extended hadnguard I would say the MA, but on anything else I would wait for the GH.
View Quote

Standard length.....so i guess ill wait.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the MI extended on mine.  So the GHW CH won't work?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a MI on my Tavor as I went with the TMF from GHW, but from the below picture it would appear so. Even if it did fit it would probably be a pain to engage it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Why mess with something that has been tested and proven?

[youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

[youtube]<a href="http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/reste/media/azerbaijan_tavor_zps7dmtupdg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m621/reste/azerbaijan_tavor_zps7dmtupdg.jpg</a>[/youtube]
View Quote

It makes transport an issue IMO.....it was a design flaw.  Perhaps the IDF operators need it how it is, but I dont.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

[youtube]<a href="http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/reste/media/azerbaijan_tavor_zps7dmtupdg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m621/reste/azerbaijan_tavor_zps7dmtupdg.jpg</a>[/youtube]
View Quote

So....you're saying that once a gun is introduced nothing ever needs to be changed or modified once it enters service?

BTW...is that Blue Man Group?  I thought they were in Vegas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Not saying that at all.  Modifications are part of improving a firearm.  I just don't see how this folding charge handle improves the performance of the Tavor.

Here is another group of folks not looking cyanotic

[youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not saying that at all.  Modifications are part of improving a firearm.  I just don't see how this folding charge handle improves the performance of the Tavor.

[youtube]<a href="http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/reste/media/6_7_zpsrmujwjmy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m621/reste/6_7_zpsrmujwjmy.jpg</a>[/youtube]
View Quote

Performance as applied to any firearm definitely has some general applications and requirements for everyone, however, there are many aspects of many firearms that are better tuned to the individual's needs or sometimes just downright preference.  I'll throw one issue out there concerning the OEM charging handle.  The Tavor has no FA.  If you bump that sore thumb of a charging handle that's positioned right out there on the end of the rifle against a barrier, door jamb, or any other object you're trying to position the weapon around, you get an out-of-battery.  Yes, you can just do a full recharge with the handle, ejecting a live round and chambering a fresh round.  While losing a round out of a 30-round mag probably isn't the end of the world, what if you're in a situation where noise is not wanted or even worse, downright dangerous?  You posted some nice photos of what I guess are Israeli military folks.  If you have a line of them stacked up in a night-op in a dark building trying to make entry as quietly as possible and the CH is bumped against an object or the soldier in front of you stops or backs up unexpectedly...problem.  This may be the reason the X95 is the main battle rifle over there...CH further back from the muzzle.  Law enforcement or anyone else using the "normal" Tavor in a situation like I described is more likely for that to occur.  I found this out in a tactical school last summer in a shoot house scenario.  The instructor saw that CH sticking out there and asked if the rifle had an FA.  Of course it doesn't, so he told me to be very careful in working the Tavor around any objects to avoid out-of-battery.

Gearhead's folding...or maybe better described as foldover...charging handle is the one I'm going for when it becomes available.   For strictly recreational shooters, bench/target shooters, etc., this isn't an issue.  If an out-of-battery won't ever put you in any danger, then it's no real concern.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the pic!  The IDF certainly has the market cornered when it comes to....
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#11]
There is somebody showing a prototype of a forward assist that replaces the ejection port cover on the side opposite how the ejection is current set up.  I believe that the bolt carrier has to be modified with it to add the groves like that are on an ar bolt carrier for it to operate against.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is somebody showing a prototype of a forward assist that replaces the ejection port cover on the side opposite how the ejection is current set up.  I believe that the bolt carrier has to be modified with it to add the groves like that are on an ar bolt carrier for it to operate against.
View Quote

Yes, Gearhead is working on that item as well as that foldover charging handle I mentioned.  Some have a concern about having Gearhead machine those grooves into the bolt, but honestly that's a very simple procedure for an outfit like Gearhead to perform.  This would provide a functioning FA for those who might actually need it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Performance as applied to any firearm definitely has some general applications and requirements for everyone, however, there are many aspects of many firearms that are better tuned to the individual's needs or sometimes just downright preference.  I'll throw one issue out there concerning the OEM charging handle.  The Tavor has no FA.  If you bump that sore thumb of a charging handle that's positioned right out there on the end of the rifle against a barrier, door jamb, or any other object you're trying to position the weapon around, you get an out-of-battery.  Yes, you can just do a full recharge with the handle, ejecting a live round and chambering a fresh round.  While losing a round out of a 30-round mag probably isn't the end of the world, what if you're in a situation where noise is not wanted or even worse, downright dangerous?  You posted some nice photos of what I guess are Israeli military folks.  If you have a line of them stacked up in a night-op in a dark building trying to make entry as quietly as possible and the CH is bumped against an object or the soldier in front of you stops or backs up unexpectedly...problem.  This may be the reason the X95 is the main battle rifle over there...CH further back from the muzzle.  Law enforcement or anyone else using the "normal" Tavor in a situation like I described is more likely for that to occur.  I found this out in a tactical school last summer in a shoot house scenario.  The instructor saw that CH sticking out there and asked if the rifle had an FA.  Of course it doesn't, so he told me to be very careful in working the Tavor around any objects to avoid out-of-battery.

Gearhead's folding...or maybe better described as foldover...charging handle is the one I'm going for when it becomes available.   For strictly recreational shooters, bench/target shooters, etc., this isn't an issue.  If an out-of-battery won't ever put you in any danger, then it's no real concern.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[youtube]<a href="http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/reste/media/6_7_zpsrmujwjmy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m621/reste/6_7_zpsrmujwjmy.jpg</a>[/youtube]

Very good analysis on why to use the foldover CH, makes a lot of sense in your urban scenario.

Have you upgraded the trigger pack?

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very good analysis on why to use the foldover CH, makes a lot of sense in your urban scenario.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...Shooting Sight.  I also don't hear any negatives with the Geissele either.  On the discussion about "good enough" for the military, I think many will agree that the OEM trigger can be highly improved upon.  It appears that IWI is modding the trigger on the X95 to improve it if I'm reading correct info on a couple of other sites.  I modded my AUG trigger pack too.  I guess the OEM triggers on the AUG and Tavor are fine for full auto or military use, but it wasn't the best IMO.  And I hope you didn't take my joke about Blue Man Group seriously...LOL!  Not sure if those guys were IDF or what.  I highly respect the IDF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top