Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2016 1:45:55 PM EDT
If it is in like new condition with the original optic and some bonus rails (side and top).
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't like the answer.  Just keep it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you check for CLOSED auction values on GB?

Not list price, closed auctions. That's typically as close as you can hope to get on a simple price check.

But FPNI. They don't hold value well.

I checked and saw several listed around  $1200 but unsold.  Theres just too many better bullpups on the market right now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a no reserve auction on GB right now for a optic rail model ending tonight. Just watch that auction and you should have your answer. I'd say $1000-$1200 is what I'd expect to get out of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a no reserve auction on GB right now for a optic rail model ending tonight. Just watch that auction and you should have your answer. I'd say $1000-$1200 is what I'd expect to get out of it.
View Quote

Given what a new AUG goes for, which comes with a warranty and available parts, I'd suspect that $1100 is high.

Shoot it until it breaks, then flog it as parts on gunbroker.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input everyone.

If I may ask a follow up: How have these been holding up over the years? Any significant, reported issues since they first came out?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer your second question, they don't hold up and you can't get parts. That should tell you all you need to know about msar's right now.

Save some more money and buy an AUG. If you buy a USED Steyr AUG it will still work 40 years from now.

If you want a new Steyr AUG, new A3 M1's can be bought for $1650 $1595.

ETA, not sure if you are buying or selling, but it seems like you're selling. Disregard the second half of what I wrote if so.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To answer your second question, they don't hold up and you can't get parts. That should tell you all you need to know about msar's right now.

Save some more money and buy an AUG. If you buy a USED Steyr AUG it will still work 40 years from now.

If you want a new Steyr AUG, new A3 M1's can be bought for $1650.
View Quote

Two questions:

1. Exactly, why do they not hold up?

2. Where could one find an A3 M1 for that price?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Two questions:

1. Exactly, why do they not hold up?

2. Where could one find an A3 M1 for that price?
View Quote

Why, I do not know. There are a lot of problems. Ask the guy with the Ferrari's, he'd be able to tell you why I imagine...

Look at gynbroker, but call Pete Athens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The MSAR mentioned above sold for $1275. I really like my MSAR E4 and have a nice stash of parts. Never have had any problems even with the scope. But if Steyr would make a NATO stock for us lefties I would sell the MSAR and parts in a heart beat even for a lost. I don't see that happen, so I'll keep what I got.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The MSAR mentioned above sold for $1275. I really like my MSAR E4 and have a nice stash of parts. Never have had any problems even with the scope. But if Steyr would make a NATO stock for us lefties I would sell the MSAR and parts in a heart beat even for a lost. I don't see that happen, so I'll keep what I got.....
View Quote

That's crazy. Way too expensive for an msar when you can get a Steyr AUG for $200 more.

I talked to Pete, he's selling them for $1595. A brand new M1 with rail for that price is nearly unheard of. The cheapest I ever bought an AUG, (and I've bought a lot of AUG's) was $1625.

I'm almost tempted to buy another...
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The MSAR mentioned above sold for $1275.
View Quote

There's one born every day - maybe OP can find another one?  IIRC the A3s were closed out at $1299 or something crazy like that. I walked past several BNIB MSARs for $900-ish when they went under.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There's one born every day - maybe OP can find another one?  IIRC the A3s were closed out at $1299 or something crazy like that. I walked past several BNIB MSARs for $900-ish when they went under.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The MSAR mentioned above sold for $1275.

I saw some at cdnn for $1500 when the A3's were let go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
They either hold up or they don't.  Within a couple hundred rounds you'll know which it is.  If it is a Gen 4 STG, then you're probably ok, the lower the serial number the better.  If it's an E4 or the STG-E4 (or whatever they called the last version released), then it's a crap shoot.  If it has an optic, likewise...it's a crap shoot.

If you're a collector and have to have all things AUG pattern, it's a decent addition to the collection.  However, if you're looking for anything other than that, even a range toy, save your change and get a real AUG; you won't be disappointed.  MSAR died a horrible and well deserved death and finding parts is eventually going to be like finding unicorns...
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two Augs and one msar. The Msar can go through extractors pretty well. I tried to sell it but my buyer flaked out. So now it resides above my reloading bench.
I treat her gently and am careful with her; mag dumps aren't done here.

Thanks to maleante's comment I may soon own three Augs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
My MSAR is an E4 conversion that was offered. I'm a lefty and like being able to use GI mags. I guess I'm lucky that i haven't had any problem yet. I came across a huge stash of parts including an extra barrel real reasonable. The prices Ratworx's got for their MSAR parts on GD I could sell my parts alone and just about pay for a Steyr.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My MSAR is an E4 conversion that was offered. I'm a lefty and like being able to use GI mags. I guess I'm lucky that i haven't had any problem yet. I came across a huge stash of parts including an extra barrel real reasonable. The prices Ratworx's got for their MSAR parts on GD I could sell my parts alone and just about pay for a Steyr.
View Quote

You could cut out the ejection port on a NATO stock and buy the metal and plastic cover pieces for the right side ejection port. That would get you the NATO stock AUG in left hand.

I have an OD green NATO stock and you can see moulding marks where the ejection port is supposed to be.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The cheapest I ever bought an AUG, (and I've bought a lot of AUG's) was $1625.

I'm almost tempted to buy another...
View Quote

That much ?

My first AUG was $565.00

It was shipped to Fleming Firearms in early 1986 and turned into a Registered Receiver machine gun, total cost of gun, shipping, and conversion......$825.00
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I sure wish Ratworx would do a run of hybrid bolts for the MSAR..... and a few 20/20 trigger packs would be nice. I assume it's wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
My msar has had 2 oe broken bolts and one ratwork broken bolt sleeve.

Over 10,000 rounds and never really cleaned.

Gen 4 stg556.

I like her.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Spoke to Aaron at Ratworx last week and he is still planning on doing the hybrid Msar bolts. Also has some Msar spare parts coming in soon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Aaron will take care of us MSAR holders.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If I may ask a follow up: How have these been holding up over the years? Any significant, reported issues since they first came out?

Thanks again!
View Quote

I've got an MSAR E4 that's eaten somewhere around 5000 rounds without a single issue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Spoke to Aaron at Ratworx last week and he is still planning on doing the hybrid Msar bolts. Also has some Msar spare parts coming in soon.
View Quote

I'm on a waiting list for one, mine is still ok and I have a spare bolt sleeve, spare complete bolt and spare extractor, I intend on having it in working condition
either by the time I sell it or when my wife does after I'm worm food.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Bolts and bolt sleeves seem to be the most common failure points on the MSAR rifles, so those would be the most important spare parts to have on hand. I don't really have a ton of rounds through my MSAR but so far it has held up fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bolts and bolt sleeves seem to be the most common failure points on the MSAR rifles, so those would be the most important spare parts to have on hand. I don't really have a ton of rounds through my MSAR but so far it has held up fine.
View Quote

There are also the ones with soft receivers out there too. The factory fix for those seemed to be milling out the damaged area.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Add trunnion, carrier, and bolt control parts failures to the list.

And bad optics, and problems with rails attached to the stock pulling out.

Probably some other things that I'm forgetting...

Add all the known possible failures, throw in the fact that MSAR is out of the firearms business for good, and the fact you can't get warranty service or parts and buying/owning an MSAR is unquestionably a losing venture.

Heck, at this point a parts AR of questionable origin is a better deal and investment than an MSAR.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#28]
For me it was a bad factory optic & peening on the trunnion.  STG556 GenIV
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair, a friend of mine has been shooting his main AUG for 20 years and has broken a bolt sleeve and firing pin.

Personally, my AUG broke its trunnion. One of the locking points in the steel trunnion chipped out. Never caused a malfunction and I found it while cleaning.

Steyr USA replaced it under warranty.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Had 2,

Both were Gen1 STG's. Sold one to a friend and he has had zero problems as of today. The other I converted to a Gen2 stock (sans Forward asst.) zero problems for about 5,000 rds. Had a broken bolt sleeve tooth. Had to return to MSAR ($45 shipping) for warranty work.

Then had a cracked bolt carrier ($49 shipping) for warranty work. Then I decided to covert it to a E4 (ar mag) (another $49 shipping) on top of a $500 E4 stock and receiver cut at MSAR.

Then had to return it for a new trunnion (another $49 shipping)....

Ran great for a year and then all of a sudden the bolt carrier was eating the feed lips off of all my Pmags. Even gouged my GI mags badly.

Had to retun it for repair once again (yep $49 shipping) and got it back and ran good for about a week and did it again. I called Wendel at MSAR and he said to wait for 2 weeks to call back for a RMA#.

2 weeks later I get a email saying MSAR is closing its doors and any warranty is gone.

I drove straight to my gun dealer and traded it even for a stainless Ruger Scout rifle in .556.

FUCK MSAR and everything they stood for.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Had 2,

Both were Gen1 STG's. Sold one to a friend and he has had zero problems as of today. The other I converted to a Gen2 stock (sans Forward asst.) zero problems for about 5,000 rds. Had a broken bolt sleeve tooth. Had to return to MSAR ($45 shipping) for warranty work.

Then had a cracked bolt carrier ($49 shipping) for warranty work. Then I decided to covert it to a E4 (ar mag) (another $49 shipping) on top of a $500 E4 stock and receiver cut at MSAR.

Ran great for a year and then all of a sudden the bolt carrier was eating the feed lips off of all my Pmags. Even gouged my GI mags badly.

Had to retun it for repair once again (yep $49 shipping) and got it back and ran good for about a week and did it again. I called Wendel at MSAR and he said to wait for 2 weeks to call back for a RMA#.

2 weeks later I get a email saying MSAR is closing its doors and any warranty is gone.

I drove straight to my gun dealer and traded it even for a stainless Ruger Scout rifle in .556.

View Quote

WOW
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Had 2,

View Quote

Damn...I thought they fucked with me about the magazines...

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the concept and design for the STG/E4 are sound, and the new AR stock is outstanding (other than it wasn't properly sanded and finished...).  The only problem was the owner and anyone with the surname "Marfione".  When they started to cut corners and constantly changed specs, they introduced too many variables for any sort of viable QC and thus reliability tanked.  If someone would take over production and build for quality rather than price point, I think it would be a viable product...five years ago.  Today?  I just can't see it competing with the current crop of offerings because if built for quality it would be close to an AUG, price wise, which would remove most of the incentive to buy it.

It's a shame.  I have one of the new AR mag stocks (they changed the helicoils for something that was much better) just collecting dust.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a gen II rifle AND an E4 stock collecting dust!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sell that stuff, buy another AUG. Have peace of mind for your progeny.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got two MSAR E4s and haven't had any problems with either. I also have a stash of parts and a hybrid bolt for each but I haven't installed those yet since the originals are still running fine.

Shame that TM screwed a good thing up. He should have stuck to standardizing on using the same AUG part specs, and should haven't tried to make his own mags.  But the E4 AR stock was a good move.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Speaking of E4s, I wonder what optic Tomac ever settled on?  He was swapping them out every couple months there for a while.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost had it all gone but my buyer flaked. I guess I should relist it all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Speaking of E4s, I wonder what optic Tomac ever settled on?  He was swapping them out every couple months there for a while.
View Quote

I think he got out of MSAR/AUGs totally.

Now I see him talking about ARs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:24:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah looks like he moved on from that fleet of microtechs.
& now he uses & praises the Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS (if I remember correctly)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  I figured he would eventually retire the MSAR given the lack of company support now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Thanks again!
View Quote
Do you have the upgraded mag catch release? I shot mine a couple of times, put it away, and never upgraded it. The mag release won't work and no one services them anymore. One of these days I'm going to sell it as a parts gun-just pisses me off to much right now.  I should buy a TAVOR to make myself fell better. And get the 9mm conversion-which is one of the reasons why I went with the MSAR-they were the first to promise the MCR 9mm conversion-which they never even put out.   Fucking Tony, only he could run a gun business into bankruptcy during the hottest gun buying craze of the decade. And your knives are shit too. Only D&D faggots really like them.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Buy yourself a hybrid bolt when Ratworx does another run (call and get on the list!)
Also try an find spare bolt cam pins, as those tend to break....I broke the original recently and was able to fin two spare pins. So now I have two complete bolts; 1 original MSAR and one Ratworx Hybrid, and one spare pin that will fit either.  
Oh, also get a spare bolt sleeve if Ratworx has any of those as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top