Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2016 9:24:46 PM EDT
Just picked up a Tavor tonight and I am pondering what optics to put on it. I am torn between the three options below and would like to hear from current owners what they prefer. I will use the gun primarily for range shooting and plinking with buddies.

1. I was thinking a low cost red dot like a Vortex Sparc II or Lucid HD7

2. An Eotech sight - not my favorite choice and I havent owned one in a few years. I believe the last one I had was a 512. I would be looking at the newer compact models.

3. A 1 - 4 x 24 Vortex scope.

Thoughts?

And the obligatory pic of said new rifle:
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Option 1 or Option 3 seem like good choices.

Option 2 is a bad idea. When the manufacturer says in court documents their products are shite, it'd be wise to stay away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Option 1 or Option 3 seem like good choices.

Option 2 is a bad idea. When the manufacturer says in court documents their products are shite, it'd be wise to stay away.
View Quote

What he said. 3 would be the most flexible for varied shooting.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using an E O Tech 512 on a YHM mount to give absolute co-witness with the Tavor factory backup iron sights.  I like the 512 but as I get older I'm considering getting a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 with Vortex CM202 one piece mount which should give the proper cheek weld.  To get the proper cheek weld you need a mount which would be lower third co-witness on a AR-15.  If you get the E O Tech with the built in riser they give absolute co-witness with the factory BUIS and a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Pick a used aimpoint pro and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the Vortex Sparc II and VMX-3T on mine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I would get an Aimpoint Pro new or used.  I have a few of them and they are excellent sights for the money.    On my Tavor, I have a Trijicon TA31and really like the 4X magnification.   So if you decide a 1-4X scope is something you would prefer, then get one.  

Scopes are only as good as the glass in them, so spend as much money on it as you can or your low light visibility will be poor through it.    If you want, compare some of the sub $200 scopes to scopes in the $750+ range and you will see that the optics are so much clearer, crisper, and better at gathering light.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimpoint PRO with a good magnifier.  Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an Eotech 512 on mine. It was on an AR before and never had an issue with it. It's about 7 years old. I like it on the Tavor.

I don't baby my guns and my Tavor and optic have more than a few dings on them w/o issue.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
In the short time that I've had my Tavor, I've been running a TA-31 ACOG on it.  Seems to be a good match for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the Eotech and magnifier combo. Gives you the best of everything. Large viewing window makes it impossible to loose the reticle. Non magnified the Eotech ring is extremely fast and the bottom of the circle gives you 7yd head shots right between the eyes. Magnified the crisp 1 MOA dot is very accurate. What other sight gives you those advantages? It's like having 2 optics magnified/nonmagnified, with 3 reticles fast ring, CQB crosshairs, and a precise 1moa dot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I say stick with a red dot, preferably one that seems practically made for the Tavor; the Meprolight Tru Dot. Should be well under $400, they've been getting great reviews, and mine has been flawless. Has absolute co-witness with the folding irons, QD mount is built in and it gets 15,000 hours on a single AA battery. (Do not use Energizers. They dimple under recoil and cause issues)

Congrats on the new stick; enjoy it, they're excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm leaning towards a 1-4x24 scope for my Tavor.  I've got it narrowed down to the Trijicon Accupoint or the Vortex Viper PST.  I figured with the 16" barrel it would be nice to have some magnification for shooting at longer distances.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an EOTech 512 on mine, then recently switched to the Trijicon MRO. I love this optic. Its been flawless.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Meprolight M21
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Aimpoint. People always say their Eotech is fine because it is not being abused or have seen drastic temp changes. Eotech admits that the sight will shift when the temp changes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I run a Mepro MOR (mil/LE model) on my Tavor and I love it. I got the extended switch and have it running to the button hole on the Tavor's  hand guard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Aimpoint. People always say their Eotech is fine because it is not being abused or have seen drastic temp changes. Eotech admits that the sight will shift when the temp changes.
View Quote

Eotech. People always say that Eotech is crap because they read on the internet that they don't work but never had one fail personally. All sight manufactures that claim parallax free are lying. If you are not (Operating) like everyone of us on the Internet is doing then the Eotech is not only just fine but superior in speed and accuracy. The mission drives the gear. In fact I've had the opposite experience in reliability with my Eotechs/Aimpoints. I've had 2 Aimpoints fail me and no Eotechs. One H1 i had while Zeroing all of a sudden would no longer adjust up/down. I sent it back and they said it was  unrepairable and replaced the unit. I also had a T1 that wouldn't turn on anymore. I sent it to them and they replaced the brightness switch. I base my belief from my personal experience not what the all knowing Internet says.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Vortex sparc
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Still have an EO-TECH on mine, have a 1-4 SWFA as an alternate in the case.

I don't fight with the gun, so not concerned with EO issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find it interesting that real gunfighters in combat and such used Eotechs for many years with who knows how many kills and never observed a problem.  Obviously there is an extreme temp issue that can occur, but it's almost funny how people who have no life threatening experience with any weapon or sight are now experts in the Eotech issue...and no...I don't claim to be one.  I wonder how many sights out there don't have similar issues when exposed to the kind of environment that true battle sights exist in, but I guess that's why there are actually few true combat classified sights.  I have an Aimpoint Pro, and it just plain works, but I still prefer the big rectangular window of sights like the Eotech, Meprolight, and MH1.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I find it interesting that real gunfighters in combat and such used Eotechs for many years with who knows how many kills and never observed a problem.  Obviously there is an extreme temp issue that can occur, but it's almost funny how people who have no life threatening experience with any weapon or sight are now experts in the Eotech issue...and no...I don't claim to be one.  I wonder how many sights out there don't have similar issues when exposed to the kind of environment that true battle sights exist in, but I guess that's why there are actually few true combat classified sights.  I have an Aimpoint Pro, and it just plain works, but I still prefer the big rectangular window of sights like the Eotech, Meprolight, and MH1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't the military what brought the issue up, and sued eotech? Regardless, and to the point, I'd consider it a good choice for the Tavor as the EXPS line gives the same cowitness height on the Tavor that most are used to with ARs. I am currently using a TA-33 in a Bobro tall mount, it's insanely fast and natural to pick up upon shouldering.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real "gunfighters" were the ones who found the problem and took eotech to court.

As a consumer I pay for items based on perceived value that it offers. With the eotech you expect to have nitrogen purged and sealed optics. That was never the case.
You expect an optic that is true to its advertised claims. That is also not the case.
The eotech brand is "mud". They knew what they advertised was not true yet kept marketing and selling it as such.

My .02
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The real "gunfighters" were the ones who found the problem and took eotech to court.

As a consumer I pay for items based on perceived value that it offers. With the eotech you expect to have nitrogen purged and sealed optics. That was never the case.
You expect an optic that is true to its advertised claims. That is also not the case.
The eotech brand is "mud". They knew what they advertised was not true yet kept marketing and selling it as such.

My .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

Well, I agree with the part about not buying an Eotech at this point.  At the best it's a bad investment/marketing for the buyer, and at worst it has a flaw.  Still, it's a flaw that almost no one in the normal shooting world is ever going to encounter.  I wouldn't currently buy a new one either, but I'll probably keep the 512.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, I agree with the part about not buying an Eotech at this point.  At the best it's a bad investment/marketing for the buyer, and at worst it has a flaw.  Still, it's a flaw that almost no one in the normal shooting world is ever going to encounter.  I wouldn't currently buy a new one either, but I'll probably keep the 512.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

I'm in the mountains. My area drops from 60 degrees to sub-zero when the sun goes down, and that's not including wind chill. Based on the claims made against Eotech, that can cause POI shift.

But we're getting off track. This is about helping a guy trying to find a good optic, not a "Piss all over EoTech" thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#25]

My Eotech was sent back.....in process right now for refund.

That said: What type of shooting do you anticipate doing?
I am really thinking about a 1 x 4 myself......
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
But we're getting off track. This is about helping a guy trying to find a good optic, not a "Piss all over EoTech" thread.

I don't know if we will ever be able to recommend an Eotech without some hater bashing them instead of helping.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I wound up going with a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot.  Tiny little thing, and it doesn't cost much either.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wound up going with a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Red Dot.  Tiny little thing, and it doesn't cost much either.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1624/24717783736_0bb1a0c9e5_b.jpg
View Quote

Would it be inappropriate for me to say, just how much I love this setup? But alas, as long as I live in the Peoples RepubliK of Konnecticut , I am prohibited from owing one!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Would it be inappropriate for me to say, just how much I love this setup? But alas, as long as I live in the Peoples RepubliK of Konnecticut , I am prohibited from owing one!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that dissent I hear, Comrade? You would be smart to correct your un-happy statement about the Party, before the Party decides to correct YOU.

Hang on, does Konneticut ban the Tavor by name, or can you get one of their Fecalstein-approved Ban state variants?

And Primary Arms stuff is pretty good, they have a solid reputation for budget optics.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Ta44 Mini Acog In Larue :)

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Since it's a picture thread now...

I need a new ACOG mount that fits right...

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/LxeiEGe.jpg
View Quote

Nice blaster, stormtrooper.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sick....I will update the post once my optic and everything else I bought for this rifle arrives. Thank you to everyone for the advice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the height of the riser necessary or is that a personal preference?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I run a Sparc 2 on my 16" Tavor and am happy. For a Tier 1 red dot, I would do the Trijicon MCO.

For magnified optics, I would only recommend a 3X or a 1-4X.

I just mounted a Vortex 3X Prism on another 18" Tavor, but have not made it to the range yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I ended up going the cheapo route and mounted a Lucid hd7 on it for now. If I decide to upgrade the trigger I will upgrade the optic but happy for now.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I must respectfully disagree with the folks bashing EoTech.  I have two EoTechs and they have both been flawless.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#38]
1-4 accupoint on mine in a LT-104.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#39]
IOR Valdada 3x25 QR-TS

"
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
IOR Valdada 3x25 QR-TS

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/viper1357/media/Gun%20Stuff/misc%20Gun%20albums/IWI%20Tavor/3_28_15_goodies801_zpsmi598pb2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/viper1357/Gun%20Stuff/misc%20Gun%20albums/IWI%20Tavor/3_28_15_goodies801_zpsmi598pb2.jpg</a>

"
View Quote

Not to get off topic, but would you mind providing a comprehensive parts list for what you added to your Tavor? It seems like a very nice set up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I have Aimpoint M4S with magnifier on mine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perfect color for…... Greenland!?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I threw on a srikefire to see how it would do. Works good, perfect cowitness.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Not listed in your top 3 but should be considered, Meprolight RDS.  Perfect fit for Tavor and for those who like a red dot (Aimpoint) and field of view (EOTech).
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not listed in your top 3 but should be considered, Meprolight RDS.  Perfect fit for Tavor and for those who like a red dot (Aimpoint) and field of view (EOTech).
View Quote

Just got my Meprolight Tru-Dot last evening...nice looking unit.  The size is just about like my Eotech 512.  The polymer hood looks and feels stout and capable, the 1.8 MOA dot is crisp and finite...but I do miss the donut of the Eotech reticle...and the overall finish and appearance quality seems great.  It's going on my Tavor to replace the Eotech, while the 512 will go to my residential defense weapon that always resides in the house, so that when it might be deployed, temperature POI issues will never come up.  If it hadn't rained an inch yesterday, I'd go out beside the house right now and zero this thing in on my little 50-yard setup.  Being an Eotech fan...well, used to be...I'm decently impressed on this thing being a righteous replacement.  We shall see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top