Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2016 7:09:58 PM EDT
Saw an interesting Kel-Tec prototype at the SHOT show last week.  Kel-Tec took their KSG and shortened the frame so each mag tube holds 5 rounds instead of 7 but kept the barrel at 18".  You send in your Form1 to turn it into an SBS and when you get your form back you just cut the barrel off at the barrel nut.  You will ultimately end up with a 9" barreled KSG.  The pump slide is too short for you to hold and manipulate it in the normal way so they eliminated the picatinny rail and molded in a vert grip which also housed an included 450 lumen light with ambi switch.

I love my KSG and use it for things like local 3-gun matches.  I am also a nut for all things short barreled (have 14 Form1's so far) so I will definitely be getting one of the KSG NR's when they become available.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!...now, a 9" barrel shotgun is way outside of my experience, so I'm not poo-pooing the idea as I don't know.  Strictly from a "perceived" standpoint, how does a 9" 12ga barrel shotgun shoot in terms of effectiveness or even pleasure?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
All the better to blow off your off hand if it slips...
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, it sounds like the integrated vertical grip solves the friendly fire problem...or at least ensures that if it does happen it is purely operator error.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thread is missing pics.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
This is really neat and a good alternative to their current SBS models after the Form 1...but this looks similar in barrel length to their current SBS, 14"ish? Nowhere near 9".
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is really neat and a good alternative to their current SBS models after the Form 1...but this looks similar in barrel length to their current SBS, 14"ish? Nowhere near 9".
View Quote

Read the first post!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Read the first post!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the first post!

I've reread it multiple times. It says hat after chopping at the barrel nut you'll ultimately end up with a 9" KSG. The barrel nut is just in front of the foregrip assembly in line with the end of the shell tubes, correct? I'm not seeing how this adds up to anything close to 9" after the chop if the picture shows 18" pre-chop as a reference point. I'm not being argumentative, what am I missing?

ETA: maybe I just suck at estimating 9" from pics?...that sounds so dirty..
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a photo of it "cut"...

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is a photo of it "cut"...

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/132A2A8E-837C-4CEC-805B-7502DD1246AA_4.png.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/132A2A8E-837C-4CEC-805B-7502DD1246AA_4.png</a>
View Quote

I gotta admit.  That is kind of sexy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the guys at the booth at SHOT told me the bbl length would be 9" after chop but maybe they were exaggerating.  In any event it is shorter then their current NFA model and you get to shoot it while you are waiting for your tax stamp to come back.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#12]
really calls out to be left as same length and have some elaborate porting applied and add an integral can to it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
i don't get why anyone would want anything shorter.   the ksg is very short the way it is, with excellent capacity.   I suppose going shorter to put a can on it would make sense.   I gotta get a can for mine.  It would blow your eardrums if you had to use it indoors for HD.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
really calls out to be left as same length and have some elaborate porting applied and add an integral can to it.
View Quote

integral would be cool

if not cut it @ 9.25-10 & thread it for a SiCo Salvo  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Just took a look and the KSG SBS is exactly the same capacity, 10+ 1, and length based upon the pump mechanism and grip.  13 inch barrels with about 9 inches in front of the grip is what I believe they meant.  You can't shorten the pump mechanism without major changes on the KSG as the handle goes all the way to the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just took a look and the KSG SBS is exactly the same capacity, 10+ 1, and length based upon the pump mechanism and grip.  13 inch barrels with about 9 inches in front of the grip is what I believe they meant.  You can't shorten the pump mechanism without major changes on the KSG as the handle goes all the way to the trigger guard.
View Quote

This makes much more sense and was my assumption as well. It looks like their current NFA model with a standard barrel. It's certainly neat and makes an already compact bullpup even more awesome if SBS'd.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#17]
OP were you given any indication on price? I'd certainly be in for one......
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP were you given any indication on price? I'd certainly be in for one......
View Quote

No indication on price nor whether they will actually make it to market.  They did have a working photo-type which they said will be exactly the same as the production model.  See the pictures above.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like it would be a good time but I'm with Manticore; the VG just looks out of place.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
they are on gunbroker and have been for a while now. The Patrol is common and a few of the Tactical ones show up now and then.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
they are on gunbroker and have been for a while now. The Patrol is common and a few of the Tactical ones show up now and then.
View Quote

But have you seen the NFA Ready?  I have been looking and have not seen any.  I am going to go with what they told me at SHOT, that the NFA model is not out yet and not projected release date.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I have not seen the NFA ready that was a new one to me :) but now I will be looking

Quoted:

But have you seen the NFA Ready?  I have been looking and have not seen any.  I am going to go with what they told me at SHOT, that the NFA model is not out yet and not projected release date.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a tactical.  The NFA ready is exactly the same with a longer barrel. Same fore grip, capacity, etc.  Even the pic rail has the same number of cuts.  Easy model to make since all they did was extend the barrel and leave everything else they same.  Foregrip needs to be the length it is as it houses the batteries for the integral light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top