Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2015 2:37:00 PM EDT
Alright folks, looking for some advice.  I just left my LGS, and had a gander at a Tavor that is in stock there.  Guy said I could have it for just over 1500 bucks.  Now, I don't own any bullpups, and don't have the availability to find an AUG in the area to play with before plopping down 1800 to 2000~ish bucks on one.  Is the Tavor as well built and functional as the guy behind the counter stated?  I saw a lot of love for it in the past, but it has kind of died off, pretty drastically in the last few months actually.  That being said, is the Tavor worth my time and my hard earned cash, or is it something that I should pass on and wait for an AUG?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you looking to do with it? I love my tavor it's become my go to rifle. There is still plenty of love for them out there. Other than the heavy factory trigger there isn't a single negative in my book and even the trigger isn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the poster above, my Tavor has been excellent. Only changes I made were the geiselle trigger and a sling. I love my Scar 17, but consider the Tavor my number 1 rifle. Funny, when I bring the Tavor to the range, I end up using all the ammo I bring for it, every time. I can't say that for my other rifles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The tavor has better trigger options: three companies putting out product just triggers right now. Lots of part availability. If you have an AR you have mag comparability. The tavor suppresses much easier. It comes with back up sights.

I own both and shoot both I'm glad you're not asking my to decide for you between the two.

Good pricing.

Be an arfer: buy both!
Thank you for the nice diversion from the mall.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm really not a Tavor fanboy...but I am definitely a fan.  However, I really like my AUG and RFB too...very much.  The Tavor has something else going for it that the AUG and RFB don't.  The Tavor has a fairly large and active aftermarket interest.  It also has different versions of the gun still in progress.  It has sold way over the number initially expected by IWI, and that alone indicates a positive.  On the lack of current hoopla and hysteria, seems like that happens any time after a new gun has been out awhile.  The big thing you don't here in spite of many, many sales of this rifle is bunches of problems and failures.  This gun was originally developed as a military weapon much like the AUG and AR.  That's usually a good foundation.  Buy the Tavor with confidence.  I used mine in a 2-day police tactical school, and it was flawless...and has been for all my other uses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Tavor and consider it the gem of my gun collection.

Where are you?  Maybe someone on this forum is close to you and will let you shoot their Tavor before you make the decision to buy one.

Also, maybe you can find a range that has one for rent.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Love the Tavor. Mine's become my go to rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Tavor and a couple of AR's.  The AR is still my go to gun partly because of familiarity and partly because it's so adaptable with aftermarket components.

That said, the Tavor is reliable, incredibly compact and it slings well.  Although it's heavier than my AR the weight is further back and it is well balanced and easier to shoot offhand.  

My advice is to handle the rifle at the shop and make sure it feels right... that the length of pull and grips are comfortable for you because you can't change them later.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several AR-15's and bought a Tavor shortly after they were released.  I have no intention of selling my Tavor as it has earned my respect.  The Tavor is another tool in my tool box.  If I was working the streets in LE and not retired I would use my Tavor instead of the AR-15 I used to carry.  Now that I think about it, I haven't shot my old duty rifle since buying my Tavor.  I have shot my Tavor quite a bit and it is a keeper.  Thie Tavor was my first and only Bullpup which is as compact as a lot of SBR's without the NFA hassles.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]
AUG vs Tavor is a tough one. The AUG has more flexibility than the Tavor, but the Tavor is simpler and more trooper proof. Which is better depends on which style you Ike more.

Either one is a well made, well designed rifle.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one as my go to rifle.  I would echo everything others said here.  The stock trigget is not my favorite, I also got tav-d.  It's incredibly easy to upgrade that, literally a drop in part.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The Tavor is a solid rifle, and should be plenty reliable.  As someone mentioned, there's a good # of them out there, and very few with 'real' issues.

I prefer the AUG, but shoot a fair amount with a buddy with a Tavor he'd picked up, and it's been reliable since day 1.

The only 'negative' on the Tavor is the aforementioned holdover due to height over bore many people wind up running on the optic (risers/mounts) to get a solid cheek weld.  If you're running something like a more forward mounted EoTech or RDS, it may not impact you, but neither my buddy nor myself could shoot the Tavor w/a variable mag. optic without a riser...which winds up ~4" height over bore, vs ~2.5" for the AR (or AUG).  Doesn't seem like much, but if you're running barricades in training classes or 3 guns, or doing partially obstructed (e.g. no shoot in front) head shots at 25 yards...it may cause some grief.  The height over bore difference itself can be trained around, the barricade drills or night shooting w/barricades all depend on the height of the openings..
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Tha Tavor and AUG are military grade infantry rifles...
They "both" could handle pretty much anything you could throw at them.

I bought my first AUG in the late 80's and currently own an A3 - ...
Then came along a Tavor one afternoon at my dealer.

Between the two....?

Tavor

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info everyone. I ended up going for it, just picked up my new Tavor tonight after work. Sure seems like a sweet piece, I can't wait to get to the range to see how it really handles. Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]
edited for irrevelence as O.p pulled the trigger.  Great price O.P enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, range day is tomorrow and I have realized that my current optics for my AR don't really work out too well on my new Tavor, with the difference in the flip up sights.  What riser does everyone use for a nice co-witness with the factory flip ups?  I have a cheap Bushnell TRS 25 that I want to use til I get my new ACOG, but can't get a nice sight picture without a riser.  So, new question is what do you all run for optics, and what riser for your red dots accordingly?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a smokin deal on the price!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, range day is tomorrow and I have realized that my current optics for my AR don't really work out too well on my new Tavor, with the difference in the flip up sights.  What riser does everyone use for a nice co-witness with the factory flip ups?  I have a cheap Bushnell TRS 25 that I want to use til I get my new ACOG, but can't get a nice sight picture without a riser.  So, new question is what do you all run for optics, and what riser for your red dots accordingly?
View Quote

Here's my Tavor with my Mepro 21.  I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 with the Hi-Rise mount (it came with the TRS-25).  I mounted the TRS-25 directly in front of my Mepro 21 so you can see how it lines up.  The Mepro 21 co-witesses perfectly with factory iron sights.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Tavor needs a 1/3 lower AR-15 height mount to be absolute co-witness with Tavor. I'm using an EO Tech 512 on a YHM mount that give lower 1/3 co-witness on an AR-15.  This setup or the EO Techs with built in riser work great on the Tavor.  I have a 1" RRA one piece scope mount with a Tasco 2.5-10 scope that I have used on my Tavor.   Midwest industry sells several different lengths of rails to give the Tavot the same height as the AR-15.  The meprolight Tru-Dot works perfectly as do the Vortex SPARC II or Strikefire II.

Before you buy an ACOG you might read over on the bullpup forum and find a suitable mount for the ACOG which will work with the Tavor.  The Tavor top rail is not a true picatinney rail and does not play well with Larue mounts because of the Tavor's rail center groove.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Tavor needs a 1/3 lower AR-15 height mount to be absolute co-witness with Tavor. I'm using an EO Tech 512 on a YHM mount that give lower 1/3 co-witness on an AR-15.  This setup or the EO Techs with built in riser work great on the Tavor.  I have a 1" RRA one piece scope mount with a Tasco 2.5-10 scope that I have used on my Tavor.   Midwest industry sells several different lengths of rails to give the Tavot the same height as the AR-15.  The meprolight Tru-Dot works perfectly as do the Vortex SPARC II or Strikefire II.

Before you buy an ACOG you might read over on the bullpup forum and find a suitable mount for the ACOG which will work with the Tavor.  The Tavor top rail is not a true picatinney rail and does not play well with Larue mounts because of the Tavor's rail center groove.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would that make a difference with a Larue mount?
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The quick release on the Larue mount gets worn by the center groove in the Tavor top rail.  Milspec Picatinney rails do not have a groove in the center running the length of the rail parallel to the bore like the Tavor's rail.  There have been numerous discussions on the bullpupforum why IWI chose this particular rail.   I think there is info on the Larue sight in regards to the Tavor rail not being compatiable with Larue mounts.  To my knowledge Larue is the only mounts with this particular problem.  

Hopefully a Tavor forum member who has used an ACOG can chime in on mounts for ACOG.  The mount is just an issue to be aware of and buy accordingly.  The only real modification/accessories   I've made to my Tavor is I added a Tactical light, Geissele Super Sabra and a sling swivel stud in the hole on the front handguard.  I use a 2 point sling and my EO Tech 512 on a YHM mount and my Tavor gets used a lot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to keep an eye on mine.  I looked over on the bullpup forums and saw some pictures of a damaged mount.  Hard to believe the recoil of a 5.56 did that damage on a properly adjusted mount.

600rds with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I repeat myself, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Slight nod to the Tavor for the safety lever vs: crossbolt on the AUG.
As an added bonus, forty round magazines work much better in a bullpup because it is tucked in tight to the body.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I repeat myself, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Slight nod to the Tavor for the safety lever vs: crossbolt on the AUG.
As an added bonus, forty round magazines work much better in a bullpup because it is tucked in tight to the body.
View Quote

Picked my Tavor up a few days ago, now I'm looking for a good optic for on top. I'm really considering grabbing an ACOG, but I am worried about mounting it, just cause of the different design of the factory rail. Thoughts anyone?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm partial to the Primary Arms CQB, as a do-all general purpose fixed power 2.5X
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I tried several different optics: leupold 1-4, aimpoint pro, eotech exps 2 and didn't love any of them on the Tavor.  Settled on a vortex spitfire 3x.  Works great on the tavor.  Included mount is good height.  Nice eye relief.  No, it is not an ACOG, but for the price it is great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]
My Tavor runs like a sewing machine. Never a problem and will digest anything I put in it. I have about 4000 rounds thru mine and no issues to speak of at all. Half of the rounds were suppressed.

I spoke with the IWI folks in Harrisburg a few weeks ago. I was asking about spare parts etc. The rep told me they had a Tavor that they had run 7500 rounds thru without cleaning. No issues. He said someone cleaned it by accident after 7500 so they had to start the count all over again. They wanted to run it to failure to see how long it lasts w/o cleaning. Also said Tavor's in the IDF run 20,000 rounds or more before barrels are changed out and more extensive PM is performed.

Pretty darn durable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I really liked my Steyr AUG that I had back in the late 80's.  I had lots of accessories for several configurations and even got to shoot mine with borrowed FA trigger pack at a MG shoot in OR.  But I sold all of it by the mid 90's.
Now I love my Tavor!
-current set up as of today-

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I really liked my Steyr AUG that I had back in the late 80's.  I had lots of accessories for several configurations and even got to shoot mine with borrowed FA trigger pack at a MG shoot in OR.  But I sold all of it by the mid 90's.
Now I love my Tavor!
-current set up as of today-
http://i.imgur.com/2gT4Ucv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tbfa56a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/opahspj.jpg
View Quote

Nice, like the Tavor in black best. What kinda groups you get with the scope?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have not had that setup out to the range yet.  Really looking forward to 100 and 200 yard results with the 16x + Omega.
Also, lots of testing to find the ammo it groups best with.  Great time of the year for the range.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#33]
The Tavor is extremely reliable and basically does what it was designed for.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have not had that setup out to the range yet.  Really looking forward to 100 and 200 yard results with the 16x + Omega.
Also, lots of testing to find the ammo it groups best with.  Great time of the year for the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice looking setup. Looking forward to seeing your range reports.  I've always thought of the Tavor as a CQB weapon and it would be great to have some info on how it performs at longer distances.

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nice looking setup. Looking forward to seeing your range reports.  I've always thought of the Tavor as a CQB weapon and it would be great to have some info on how it performs at longer distances.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As you would expect from a long-stroke piston rifle with a non-free floating barrel
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#36]
2.5-3MOA groups from mine.

Not as good as a typical AR, but better than the average AK in the same caliber.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got my new Tavor. Installed the Geissele super sabra trigger and the MI XL keymod rail! Wearing a Trijicon MRO, Surefire M600 Ultra and the Manticore arms cureved buttpad!

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
That is a great price. I think I've gotten to a point with the Tavor that it is a must to be paired with the Geissele Lightning Bow and Super Sabra trigger pack. I am not a trigger fanatic, but Geissele has figured it out for the Tavor and the Tavor trigger is aweful without it... and I own an FS2000.It is clearly a well made, compact, reliable rifle and a great alternative to the AR line.

For me the Tavor is my 3rd string go to rifle (2nd string if we are talking 5.56 only).
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#39]
What a deal, I wish I got mine for that price. But I don't regret getting my Tavor 2 months ago. Just got an optic for it that will get range test next week.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:33:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Wife got me a Tavor for Christmas.  What optics do you guys like?  I was thinking the Mepro M21.  I saw that I get a 20% discount from the mako group on Mepro sights.  So does anybody have the Tru-Dot and M21 and tell me which one you like better?  What reticle on the M21?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wife got me a Tavor for Christmas.  What optics do you guys like?  I was thinking the Mepro M21.  I saw that I get a 20% discount from the mako group on Mepro sights.  So does anybody have the Tru-Dot and M21 and tell me which one you like better?  What reticle on the M21?
View Quote

I have seriously considered buying the TruDot Red Dot Sight and if I was buying an M-21 it would be thr triangle reticle.  A lot of guys on my PD were running Trijicon reflex sights and the hands down favorite had the triangle.  The bullseye reticle covers to much target at distance whereas at distance you can get precise aim using the tip of the triangle.  The single dot M-21 use 4 or 5 MOA dots IIRC wheras I prefer the 1.8 MOA dot of the TruDot RDS.  I also like the clear window of the TruDot versus the blue tint on the M-21.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks VASCAR2, that helps a lot!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have seriously considered buying the TruDot Red Dot Sight and if I was buying an M-21 it would be thr triangle reticle.  A lot of guys on my PD were running Trijicon reflex sights and the hands down favorite had the triangle.  The bullseye reticle covers to much target at distance whereas at distance you can get precise aim using the tip of the triangle.  The single dot M-21 use 4 or 5 MOA dots IIRC wheras I prefer the 1.8 MOA dot of the TruDot RDS.  I also like the clear window of the TruDot versus the blue tint on the M-21.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the truedot had the Eotech  circle dot like option I would try one out. I am going to wait for the Hartman reflex optic to come out until I decide what is going to replace my Eotech.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
2.5-3MOA groups from mine.

Not as good as a typical AR, but better than the average AK in the same caliber.

AJ
View Quote

About what I have experienced with the Tavor which is in line with its design and intended use. The RDB doesnt do much better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
$1500 is a great price for a Tavor.

View Quote

This and I finally made it to the range with me mine for the first time. Could be one of my favorite rifles. If you do buy it get the Geissele trigger for it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#46]
So much Tavor hotness in here, makes me want one...
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

So much Tavor hotness in here, makes me want one...
View Quote
Picking mine up tomorrow from Tim/Copper Custom

Going with OD Green.  In the dark/shade it almost looks gray, I like it and I'm tired of FDE errrrrrrythangggggg lol
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought 1 back in august, slightly used. The guy bought it and carried it to the range. When he got home wife made him take it back. His loss was my gain. Current set up is aimpoint pro, and a saker. Just got a vtac sling for Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Love my Tavor, one of my favorite guns to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is the Tavor as well built and functional as the guy behind the counter stated?
View Quote

I don't own one and haven't fired one, but:

1) In a decade, it'll be regarded as collectible as the preban Galil ARM is today.
2) Like the Galil ARM, replacement parts will be hard to find, possibly nearing unobtanium.
3) If there were any significant reliability problems with the Tavor, you'd already be hearing about them.
4) Choosing either the AUG or Tavor is a good decision.  
5) Get them while you can. See #1, above.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top