BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I sent out some feelers for a run of US made Daewoo K2/DR200 bolts modified to use AR extractors. Had almost instantaneous, enthusiastic responses from several gun industry machine shops.
These same shops wouldn't give me the time of day two years ago on this same project.
View Quote
Do you blame them? As long as they didn't spit on you and call your wife fat, it's just business.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do you blame them? As long as they didn't spit on you and call your wife fat, it's just business.
View Quote
I think what he means is those shops were so tied up making AR parts two years ago that they couldn't entertain his project due to lack of manufacturing capacity. Now that the market is saturated and ARs and AR parts are mostly collecting dust, those shops need work. He wasn't blaming them.

I think we're going to see more innovation and less run of the mill stuff. It's a really bizarre time for Desert Tech to be blaming third party shops for lack of parts since they're begging for work, as evidenced by the Daewoo bolt proposal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to agree I would suggest that there are one of two options that are going on here (guess which one is more likely)

1) The suppliers they have picked are shitty or all have genuine problems

2) They haven't paid their suppliers and therefore aren't getting products shipped

To me 2) seems more likely than 1) as I can't believe they are getting all of their small parts from one shop but who knows? I also wonder if DT isn't trying to renegotiate some contracts and offer shops payment once the rifles ship or maybe some kind of royalty deal instead of payment up front? Either way they should just shut up until they have something to say.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sent out some feelers for a run of US made Daewoo K2/DR200 bolts modified to use AR extractors. Had almost instantaneous, enthusiastic responses from several gun industry machine shops.
These same shops wouldn't give me the time of day two years ago on this same project.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. Plenty of vendors out there sitting idle and unable to sell run of the mill AR parts would love to make MDR parts right now. Pesky problem is they want to get paid for doing it
Not related to the thread, but if you get this going at a price per bolt of $125.00 or less,

I'm in for three.  Related to thread, could these shops tool up quickly for MDR parts?

Don't have any personal knowledge of how dedicated machine tools are to what they 

produce.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched a clip last week where the DT rep said the mdr weighed about 8.5 pounds in both calibers. Iam very dissapoint
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, honestly with the "power" of DT and being an established weapons maker...shops wouldn't really give them any hassle...unless DT has not paid their bills.

Oh by the way...its not end of April anymore...its the middle of May...with 0 concrete answer when the MDR will ship...so sad.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If no one cares about this other than the "fanboys", they why are so many people who claim they won't be buying it ranting on and on about it?
View Quote
As I said earlier, I was interested in getting one, but got sick of being jerked around with unmet release dates. So I invested my money in a couple of proven platforms. I really don't give a squirt if the MDR makes it to market or continues to be Vaporware. I'm merely sticking around because I've got a healthy taste for schadenfreude and am enjoying watching this porta-crapper burn to the ground.

But you keep those fanboi dreams alive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I watched a clip last week where the DT rep said the mdr weighed about 8.5 pounds in both calibers. Iam very dissapoint
View Quote
I'm wondering why it'll be any better than the Kel Tec RDB. Maybe it's because of the ease of caliber change you'll have when they come out with all of those conversion
kits sometime after you've been on AARP, and drawing from your 401K.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Think any of those shops would be interested in making FNC bolts?  What price range are you aiming for regarding the Daewoo bolts?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Think any of those shops would be interested in making FNC bolts?  What price range are you aiming for regarding the Daewoo bolts?
View Quote
<$150 each
<500 pieces
I already have the CAD drawings and all the engineering work done, the shop would just have to make them to spec.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Last delay stated they'd start shipping 'the second or third week of May'. They've got a few more hours to either throw a Hail Mary, or bust yet another hit time. What a mess.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Last delay stated they'd start shipping 'the second or third week of May'. They've got a few more hours to either throw a Hail Mary, or bust yet another hit time. What a mess.
View Quote
My guess?  Another fail...and a "three more weeks".  LOL....what ever happened to "TWO more weeks"?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since this is a tech forum.  I think this is technically how I will be reacting again.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesnt it seem to make sense at this point that the price increase was engineered mainly to keep paid preorders from requesting a refund?

I would love to have a crystal ball to see what would happen to the MDR project if everyone would request a refund.  Would DT actually man up at that point with honest communication or would it possibly break them financially?

Im just playing weekend pessimist here but I would like to see that play out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Doesnt it seem to make sense at this point that the price increase was engineered mainly to keep paid preorders from requesting a refund?

I would love to have a crystal ball to see what would happen to the MDR project if everyone would request a refund.  Would DT actually man up at that point with honest communication or would it possibly break them financially?

Im just playing weekend pessimist here but I would like to see that play out.
View Quote
I bet it would really really put them in a bind. I would almost bet they have used preorder money to develop the platform and using it as a secondary fund source. Honestly, this is pretty pathetic of DT the way they have treated the MDR customers. Just saying...(I was one potential customers who was really excited about this platform).
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've really wanted an SRS for a while and was planning on ordering one later this year, but this whole MDR debacle has scared me off of any DT products for the foreseeable future.

My plan was to match up an SRS and an MDR both in 6.5. Doubt it ever happens now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Just a refresher for all of us waiting.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just a refresher for all of us waiting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#19]
they've never heard of "underpromise and overdeliver"?  maybe their marketing guy is dyslexic.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Do we have a new excuse yet.....or is it the same old excuse?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
We have to wait till June 1st ish for the new delay/excuse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gotcha!

Waiting for this one....I hope it's good!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Well once June rolls by it will be another MDRless Birthday!!! I'll be collecting social security at this rate.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
T-10 days for we are sorry but the dog ate the handguard
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey Sven!!! I don't think by the time I retire they'll be such a thing as social security so I better hold onto my hard earned pennies. That said if we get through June i'll throw down another $20 that it'll come by the end of the year... just to keep things interesting!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#28]
The MDR isn't happening. The vendor story was obviously a lie or the rifles would have shipped by now. My guess is the design has serious flaws and they've been stalling for time to fix it and have been unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#29]
There are many reason probably the MDR isn't really happening for a looong time. We won't know until they say anything. However the signs are there for a failed project.

Looking at the video of the 308 variant prototype shooting...I wouldn't want one in that caliber...the thing is all over the place...recoil mitigation sucks on it...you can see one guy barely able to control it and says...man the recoil isn't bad...I just laughed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Please keep us posted on those Daewoo bolts!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There are many reason probably the MDR isn't really happening for a looong time. We won't know until they say anything. However the signs are there for a failed project.

Looking at the video of the 308 variant prototype shooting...I wouldn't want one in that caliber...the thing is all over the place...recoil mitigation sucks on it...you can see one guy barely able to control it and says...man the recoil isn't bad...I just laughed.
View Quote
Then how can you explain the video of the people who are shooting the rifle and it's rather rock solid steady?  The likely answer is that the people who weren't controlling the the MDR had poor form and went into expecting something with a mouse fart for recoil.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#33]
MDR recoil

Kicks like a MoFo: 1              
You don't know how to shoot a .308: 0
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#34]
.308 recoil

rsolomon's 12yo daughter loves shooting the RFB and has no problems with recoil
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Then how can you explain the video of the people who are shooting the rifle and it's rather rock solid steady?  The likely answer is that the people who weren't controlling the the MDR had poor form and went into expecting something with a mouse fart for recoil.
View Quote
Kfeltenberger you arent the only one that can create a spin zone.

Its just as likely that the people that handled the recoil as well as you claim (even though visually speaking the video of them shooting appears contrary to what they said) should be thrown out of the sample group as well because they are perhaps Tier 1 operators.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks like we are about out of May, still no MDR.  Maybe they were not pleased with the MDR being simply a sub MOA bullpup and are redesigning it to be a 1/4 MOA gun.  Available 3rd quarter 2026.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Are people starting to demand their refunds yet? Because this is how you start to get people to demand their money back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are people starting to demand their refunds yet? Because this is how you start to get people to demand their money back.
View Quote
That is what I have been saying all along...if you guys want to put pressure on Desert Tech and see how they are truly operating behind the scenes....start demanding refunds and see how they react.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Its just as likely that the people that handled the recoil as well as you claim (even though visually speaking the video of them shooting appears contrary to what they said) should be thrown out of the sample group as well because they are perhaps Tier 1 operators.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judging by the looks of the people in the video, they were not "Tier 1 operators".

According to some folks on the other forum, one has a ship date of next week and two were also told by Oakland Tactical that they could have them next week as well.  

Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it spin.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Well heres to hoping they actually do ship

Also I will stop coming across as trying to ruffle your feathers as that isnt my intention.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well heres to hoping they actually do ship

Also I will stop coming across as trying to ruffle your feathers as that isnt my intention.  
View Quote
It's all good.  I'm just tired of the over the top negativity that's been running rampant where opinion and innuendo are passed off absolute fact that DT is intentionally shafting everyone, that the MDR is nothing but vaporware, etc.  After a while it just gets old...the horse has been beaten, it's bones broken, and now it's probably a fly covered grease spot in the road.  I'll be the first to admit if I was wrong and my faith was misplaced, as well as if it doesn't live up to reasonable expectations or has excessive negatives.  Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#42]
My new ship date is for May 31, it moved back a whole week for may instead of a month like it has previous updates...  does this mean anything, I don't honestly know or care enough to speculate.  I was one of the first in line for this gun and pre-ordered day one.  This has gone better than my ACR and I freaking love that gun.  I'm in line for this and the Maxim 9 and the HMG-N.  I hope 2017 works out but if not, I'll just enjoy the toys that do make it

FA
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My new ship date is for May 31, it moved back a whole week for may instead of a month like it has previous updates...  does this mean anything, I don't honestly know or care enough to speculate.  I was one of the first in line for this gun and pre-ordered day one.  This has gone better than my ACR and I freaking love that gun.  I'm in line for this and the Maxim 9 and the HMG-N.  I hope 2017 works out but if not, I'll just enjoy the toys that do make it

FA
View Quote
Hmg is showing how to do a release right. Plenty of updates with actual content and near total transparency. DT could learn a thing or two from them!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#44]
So... ANOTHER delay.

Guess what part it "is"?

The "carrier". From a third party supplier.

Once again, like a broken record - never their fault, always someone else.

Source
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So... ANOTHER delay.

Guess what part it "is"?

The "carrier". From a third party supplier.

Once again, like a broken record - never their fault, always someone else.

Source
View Quote
Seems about right... glad to know it's never their fault.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#46]
This pursuit of perfection has me worried for when they get around to vetting their $100 red dot's capabilities.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'll be the first to admit if I was wrong and my faith was misplaced
View Quote
Well, since no one else could "admit" that you were wrong, I guess you'll have to be the first regardless.  

Mind you most of the rest of us have already decided you're wrong, but that's why we love America!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like this?

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's all good.  I'm just tired of the over the top negativity that's been running rampant where opinion and innuendo are passed off absolute fact that DT is intentionally shafting everyone, that the MDR is nothing but vaporware, etc.  After a while it just gets old...the horse has been beaten, it's bones broken, and now it's probably a fly covered grease spot in the road.  I'll be the first to admit if I was wrong and my faith was misplaced, as well as if it doesn't live up to reasonable expectations or has excessive negatives.  Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing.
View Quote
You obviously didn't see the update on bullpupforum today...DT is now DELAYING AGAIN over a "vendor" problem with the BCGs...its DT that is beating the dead horse with their continuous vendor problem and delays...I thought in previous videos done by DT in 2016 when the CEO spoke that they invested millions in new machinery and Fortune 20 talent to make this rifle...however it seems to me DT is not making a single part other than the aluminum receiver itself and everything about this rifle dependent on vendors...pathetic excuse from DT as usual.

Here is the link
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#50]
This is probably it for me then, going to ask for a refund from the group buy.  I am sort of falling out of love with the 308 anyways.  Oh well.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top