Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you guys see this video? I do not like the clearing of the stuck case in the ejection chute. Another piece to lose in the fog of war, and not sure your fine motor skills will be working in a firefight to calmly push the necessary button or use a bullet tip.

Yeah, sure. Nobody may ever use this in combat, but that's not DT's intent in designing this rifle.

https://www.facebook.com/deserttacticalarms/videos/1444090848954986/
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you guys see this video? I do not like the clearing of the stuck case in the ejection chute. Another piece to lose in the fog of war, and not sure your fine motor skills will be working in a firefight to calmly push the necessary button or use a bullet tip.

Yeah, sure. Nobody may ever use this in combat, but that's not DT's intent in designing this rifle.

View Quote
Interesting. Part of my wonders if a military considering adopting this would opt for a standard dust cover rather than an ejection chute like they have on there... I know that this would get rid of the ambi functionality so i'm not sure but I agree its definately a neat system but i'm not sure it's one i'd want to be using while on a two way range (then again short of someone invading the US i never will be! )
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Woulda been nice to zoom in a tad...
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Tomorrows Facebook update on why the rifles aren't shipping yet will be awesome.  Being it will be April 1st I predict some shit will be given in the comments and the guy will have to kick people off his facebook page.  LOL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tomorrows Facebook update on why the rifles aren't shipping yet will be awesome.  Being it will be April 1st I predict some shit will be given in the comments and the guy will have to kick people off his facebook page.  LOL.
View Quote
I'm not betting any more money but I am pretty sure with it being April 1st they won't make any kind of post, I'd imagine we will see some poorly written excuse by Wednesday of next week....

Now if they had some giant balls they might post that the rifles are shipping only to retract that a day later and say "April Fools"!!

plus they have that Czech mil sniper rifle contract to fill now so I guess their attention might be elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya, may be prudent to wait til 4/2
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not betting any more money but I am pretty sure with it being April 1st they won't make any kind of post, I'd imagine we will see some poorly written excuse by Wednesday of next week....

Now if they had some giant balls they might post that the rifles are shipping only to retract that a day later and say "April Fools"!!

plus they have that Czech mil sniper rifle contract to fill now so I guess their attention might be elsewhere.
View Quote
Even after I've given them lots of shit, if they posted that they were shipping as an April fools prank, I'd probably think it was funny lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, my prediction is Wednesday 4/5 "One of our subcontractors/suppliers let us down so we're redesigning the wifflesnarb to make it absolutely idiot-proof.  We understand the extra half-pound this adds may upset some of you wussies, but get over it.  We'll ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY maybe start shipments in Q3 of this year!"
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep, my prediction is Wednesday 4/5 "One of our subcontractors/suppliers let us down so we're redesigning the wifflesnarb to make it absolutely idiot-proof.  We understand the extra half-pound this adds may upset some of you wussies, but get over it.  We'll ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY maybe start shipments in Q3 of this year!"
View Quote
I like this, however, I was thinking something more along these lines (before anyone gets major butthurt let me add that this is written in jest and I am still in on the preorder etc so yeah I'm calling myself an idiot):

"Dear Valued Potential Customers,
                                                                Do to yet another subcontractor error we have had to redesign the wifflesnarb to make it absolutely idiot-proof. This will be exceptionally challenging as every time we dupe you each month we realize how idiotic our customer base is.  This additional re-engineering will require another 6-24 month delay in delivery and make the rifle weigh 1lb more. However because of the additional time it will take to deliver the MDR we are pleased to announce that along with your free t-shirt we will also be providing DT Dunce caps ($1000 value) to those who are still waiting on the pre-order list. No one will be more impressive while hanging out at the range without a rifle than our future consumers in their T-shirts and caps! As always we look forward to our promise of delivering more promises on a monthly basis. Please continue to provide your support and adulation.

CEO, DT

p.s. we are also now taking pre-orders on our 9mm bullpup pdw, release date "when hell freezes over" "
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like this, however, I was thinking something more along these lines (before anyone gets major butthurt let me add that this is written in jest and I am still in on the preorder etc so yeah I'm calling myself an idiot):

"Dear Valued Potential Customers,
                                                                Do to yet another subcontractor error we have had to redesign the wifflesnarb to make it absolutely idiot-proof. This will be exceptionally challenging as every time we dupe you each month we realize how idiotic our customer base is.  This additional re-engineering will require another 6-24 month delay in delivery and make the rifle weigh 1lb more. However because of the additional time it will take to deliver the MDR we are pleased to announce that along with your free t-shirt we will also be providing DT Dunce caps ($1000 value) to those who are still waiting on the pre-order list. No one will be more impressive while hanging out at the range without a rifle than our future consumers in their T-shirts and caps! As always we look forward to our promise of delivering more promises on a monthly basis. Please continue to provide your support and adulation.

CEO, DT

p.s. we are also now taking pre-orders on our 9mm bullpup pdw, release date "when hell freezes over" "
View Quote
And out of company courtesy we are choosing to inform you of an upcoming price increase.  All orders placed between now and April 30th will be honored at current MSRP.  Thanks for your continued crowdfunding.

Eta:

The fact that we have to wait until the 1st of the month again is bad news in itself.  There is no significant benefit to releasing or announcing its been released by waiting until the 1st of the month versus doing it today or yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm hoping for something like this:

"Due to further problems with our ammo sources, we have delayed the .308 version until 2018. The good news is that we will be shipping the 9mm and 6.5 Creedmoor versions next week. Preorders are being taken from 12:00 AM to 12:01 AM GT via our undisclosed outhouse phone number."
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I expect them to post

We are shipping out all orders made before such and such date

APRIL FOOLS we gotcha one more time
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
On the bright side, it made American Rifleman's Editors' Pick 2017.

Desert Tech MDR
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On the bright side, it made American Rifleman's Editors' Pick 2017.
Desert Tech MDR
View Quote
Proving once again that most print media is the best coverage money can buy
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Proving once again that most print media is the best coverage money can buy
View Quote
HAHA!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Non hotlinking 13er
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Non hotlinking 13er
View Quote
Huh?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Copied latest update below
April 3, 2017

To our valued customers,

The MDR’s are still on track to start shipping late April. We don’t have much more to say than that. Marketing will continue to answer weekly operations questions about the MDR. We appreciate everyone’s patience and continued support up to this point!

Sincerely

Nicholas Young

CEO Desert Tech
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
April 3, 2017

To our valued customers,

The MDR’s are still on track to start shipping late April. We don’t have much more to say than that. Marketing will continue to answer weekly operations questions about the MDR. We appreciate everyone’s patience and continued support up to this point!

Sincerely

Nicholas Young

CEO Desert Tech
View Quote
Wow seems like they finally embraced the less is more approach in regards to marketing!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Compared to prior updates, this sounds like it was written by someone who is tired. No fault to that, but the lack of enthusiasm is a contrast to everything previous.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Compared to prior updates, this sounds like it was written by someone who is tired. No fault to that, but the lack of enthusiasm is a contrast to everything previous.
View Quote
Reads like someone who is beat down and demoralized by all the naysayers that post on their FB, Twitter, and Instagram pages.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol how can we respect a company that has the tenacity to speak about how they are "still on track".

Looks to me like this whole situation is as fucked as I suspected.

April will turn to May and so on and so on.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
This latest update did not mention another delay.... I will have an MDR in my hands by mid May, that is my plan and no one can take that away from me.... except for Desert Tech with another delay
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Reads like someone who is beat down and demoralized by all the naysayers that post on their FB, Twitter, and Instagram pages.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They brought all of this on themselves in my opinion.  Had they kept their traps shut and not taken money until they had a product that could actually be shipped within a couple of months none of this would have happened.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
April 3, 2017

To our valued customers,

Sincerely

Nicholas Young

CEO Desert Tech
View Quote
I'd bet a dollar they won't ship in April.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
In for a dime, in a for a dollar
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are we taking bets again? I could stand to lose another $20
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are we taking bets again? I could stand to lose another $20
View Quote
Lol
This is a game in which I definitely don't want skin
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They brought all of this on themselves in my opinion.  Had they kept their traps shut and not taken money until they had a product that could actually be shipped within a couple of months none of this would have happened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read my previous comment on another page... they didn't keep their mouths shut (at Shot Show, AKA Kickstart for Guns) so they could take money... in my theory, to crowdfund additional research, tooling, materials, etc. for this rifle. Just an opinion though.

Quoted:
Quoted:
They should have something set up in Vegas to bet on this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#30]
The only thing delaying release last month was the ejection chutes right?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Thoughts on potential aftermarket support for grips, triggers, handguards, etc?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
How many mdr's need to be in the wild in order to garner aftermarket product viability?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
How big is the AUG aftermarket? I'm guessing that's the most popular bullpup.

Now, how big is the RDB aftermarket? That's been out quite a few years already.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The rdb has only been widely available since about June last year hardly a few years and even then not in great numbers. I got lucky I guess and managed to snag a T&e rifle in Early but still it was months later before the production ones came out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am certain that there are more Tavors than AUG's in the US.  Possibly twice as many.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

More than twice as many Tavors as AUGs.  Note how the AUG aftermarket has pretty much died.
View Quote
Yeah it's a shame but the truth...

P.s. No more betting with you hustler!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

More than twice as many Tavors as AUGs.  Note how the AUG aftermarket has pretty much died.
View Quote
So I just went and looked at the serial numbers on some of the Tavors I have in stock.  The latest seem to be in the 66000 serial number range.  I doubt there are 20,000 AUG's in the US all combined.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Something interesting about the AUG is that for decades it was a "rich" person's gun. It was priced far outside the bounds of the average shooter, and became somewhat of a status symbol gun for shooters or the prized safe queen for collectors. With the MSAR's arrival, it satiated the demand of the average joe - unfortunately it had its own set of issues. I think with the reintroduction of the AUG in the US after the problems of the MSAR, it couldn't take off as it could have. So now you have disgruntled MSAR buyers saying to heck with this AUG thing, I'm done with it all. Steyr Mannlicher in Austria is its own worst enemy when it comes to the success of the AUG in the US, that added to the lower than achievable sales. The A3 did as well as it could given everything going against its success. When the aftermarket started offering products for the AUG, it's almost like it wasn't wanted. Not many were willing to change things out on the AUG, and honestly there isn't much you can do to customize an AUG. With the change in receiver design to the M1, aftermarket items taking advantage of the A3 receiver couldn't go forward and 8000 AUG A3's is a dismally small customer base. Now there's Corvus with two of the best things I've ever seen for the AUG: the brass deflector and the extended mag release. Another void was filled with PJS extended rail, now a factory option.

Then along came the Tavor. Incredible marketing, something Steyr never had, propelled the Tavor (and the bullpup) into the spotlight of the gun industry. Everyone had to have one, myself included. IWI was ready for the demand and pumped those puppies out like rabbits in heat. The big names in the aftermarket largely ignored the Tavor to their own detriment. Companies popped up providing products for the Tavor that no one was offering. Manticore probably made a killing on Tavor accessories along with others.

The Tavor is the best thing that ever happened to the bullpup world. Enter Desert Tech. While the they could have owned the market, they cut off their own balls and chucked them in the garbage. There's no excitement behind the MDR today. There's artificial marketing hype that is easily seen through, when everyone is tired of the same old shit from years gone by. Desert Tech has properly F'd themselves and they'll never achieve the hype that the Tavor gained. It seems that the only people actually interested in the MDR are those with thousands of dollars tied up in monthly promises. Hopefully the launch goes well for them at the end of the month, but as to the aftermarket for the MDR, who knows...

^all my opinion^
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So I just went and looked at the serial numbers on some of the Tavors I have in stock.  The latest seem to be in the 66000 serial number range.  I doubt there are 20,000 AUG's in the US all combined.
View Quote
Up to now, by my count, there's about 27,000 including the pre and postban guns.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Zero support until they can prove they can 1. actually make production guns that ship to customers and 2. actually have enough out thee to justify aftermarket sales.
View Quote
and 3. actually prove that the base product is worth modifying
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Roughy 30-35,000 AUGs, but only if you count MSAR's as AUGs, and include all generations (A1, A2, USR, A3, A3 M1).
View Quote
My count prior to year 2000 is about 11,000 guns. Add in the A3's, M1's, M1 ban state serials, and the STG which are close enough to being sold that they'll count too and I get roughly 27000 Steyr AUG's.

Not sure how many MSAR's there were, but I didn't count those.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#46]
There were right around 16,000 MSAR's.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#47]
In the last 30 days there has not been one single Steyr AUG sold on Gunbroker.  

I did not count how many Tavors/X95's have been sold in the last 30 days on Gunbroker but the number is over 100.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In the last 30 days there has not been one single Steyr AUG sold on Gunbroker.  

I did not count how many Tavors/X95's have been sold in the last 30 days on Gunbroker but the number is over 100.
View Quote
Are you saying the AUG is more or less popular than the Tavor/X95 based on this observation?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are you saying the AUG is more or less popular than the Tavor/X95 based on this observation?
View Quote
Even without looking at gunbroker, it's pretty clear that the tavor is much more popular than the AUG. That's unfortunate because the AUG is a better firearm.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the Tavor is more popular. I mean they sold 15,000 Tavors in just 9 months from mid 2013 to early 2014. This is before the X95 (which counts I think) even. I'm sure more Tavors have been sold than AUG's by now. http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industry/iwi-wanted-to-sell-6000-tavors-in-us-in-1-year-they-sold-15000-in-9-months/
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top