Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the FDE models will be two tone and all rifles will ship with a 3 prong flash suppressor.  I can't wait for the shot show pictures and video!

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=10847.20
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the FDE models will be two tone and all rifles will ship with a 3 prong flash suppressor.  I can't wait for the shot show pictures and video!

View Quote

Very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Business address is fine, unless you want to bet $20 that is won't be out before 2018.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

.308 or 5.56 version?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

+ someone actually shooting one.  
When's SHOT range day?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+ someone actually shooting one.  
When's SHOT range day?
View Quote

Yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the MDR will ship in a nice little box.  
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=11150.0
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I handled one today at Shot. Very solid, feels more like a real gun than the tavor. The case was cool. I mean it's plastic but the rifle really breaks down nicely. I was most pleased with the ejection port setup. You can see the chamber to safety check it and the cover for the forward eject setup comes off pretty easy to clear a stuck case. It does not have to be put back on to fire. It will just eject to the side at that point. I think everyone with be pleased. The trigger is nice but I will hold off on my judgement until I shoot one.

If anyone is interested in a pic of a certain part of the rifle or detail, let me know. I'm going back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I would appreciate as many damn pictures of it as you can get .  Also to those wondering about the range day and lack of MDR info Desert Tech is having their live fire media event Thursday night.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the handguard plastic or metal and does it seem to lock on pretty tight with no movement?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Hand guard is plastic.
Impressions:
Feels heavier than stated weight
Well balanced
Very "solid" feel
Trigger guard put uncomfortable amount of weight on the top of middle finger. Weird deal
never felt that kind of pressure before.

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hand guard is plastic.
Impressions:
Feels heavier than stated weight
Well balanced
Very "solid" feel
Trigger guard put uncomfortable amount of weight on the top of middle finger. Weird deal
never felt that kind of pressure before.
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p411/mrtoyz/Mobile%20Uploads/C816D9AF-F779-426E-807C-8F2F36EC1747_zpsttnkvc2k.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p411/mrtoyz/Mobile%20Uploads/E3ED29C3-49BB-41E3-B296-66DCBBC93D6C_zpsrx1awnpd.jpg
View Quote

Wow that MDR-C is so small it's invisible!

Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a cool case.

Where does my Nightforce NXS go?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's a cool case.

Where does my Nightforce NXS go?
View Quote
...in the case you buy for it just like other guns in this category.

Never heard of anyone ribbing FN about the cardboard box their SCAR shipped in because it doesn't have a spot for their Nightforce.

It's easy to find a larger case for the MDR.  If anyone was hoping to source the most compact/ space efficient & semi-discrete case, that would be a bit more difficult.  DT chose to provide the more difficult option and if you want something bigger, you can find it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#14]
What I learned at Shot:

- Dedicated SBR will not be released, only a conversion kit. So might as well Form 1 your rifle as soon as you get it so you can be ready. They estimated 10.5 SBR kits will be ready later this year, but they didn't sound confident on it.
- Don't remember who asked, but the MDR is a standard AR thread and pitch.
- Don't know if this has been said already, but .308 is shipping in March, 5.56 in June, and they can crank out around 1,000 rifles a month. They've got around 2,600 preorders right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I shot the MDR last night.

At SHOT right now and typing on a phone, will give a more detailed post a bit later

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Can't wait to hear how it was!
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
BPF just uploaded this on youtube

2017 SHOT Show MDR test firing
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Oops double tap
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Man, that 308 looks bruising.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of the shooter's comments:

"The 308 was loud and pounding from within the indoor tight quarters.  But when shouldered, the MDR 308 was extremely controllable, and soft shooting.  There was little to no muzzle rise, and the follow up was quick."

and

"It's a 308, so there is more kick than my 556's (and I'm used to the 556, so part of it is the learning curve of running the MDR), but notice:  NO MUZZLE RISE!  The felt recoil is actually very low and comfortable for the 308.  Definitely not like a 12 ga.  It was just the first time picking it up and running it...

That wasn't a failure to eject.  The MDR has a bolt hold-open feature on an empty mag, so that was the last spent case from the previous mag, and it was just sitting there.  The next empty case would have kicked it clear.   Similar to the FS2000 or RFB."

(the 12ga comment was in response to someone who had made a similar comment to you but referenced a shotgun recoil)
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#22]
It did look flat, especially for a 3 prong hider, but i was comparing to my buddies SCAR17. Very different platform, but only point of comparison I have.

I think im re-excited for the 556 model.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I am underwhelmed by the lack of info I have found on the MDR so far from Shot show.   Whats the deal I would have thought it would be all over if they are letting people shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am underwhelmed by the lack of info I have found on the MDR so far from Shot show.   Whats the deal I would have thought it would be all over if they are letting people shoot it.
View Quote

I think a lot of people are fed up with their BS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having attended SHOT the last 6 years, I'm consistently amazed how little most booth operators know about their products.

Some examples:

Me: "Hey, this is a really cool knife, what type of steel is it?"
Booth guy: "I dunno, some type of stainless?"

Me: "Hey, this is a really cool pistol, what type of velocity are you getting?" (In reference to a custom 8" 5.7x28 pistol designed to go fast)
Booth guy: "I dunno, I think it shoots pretty fast?"

Me: "Hey, will you guys be offering this product you are displaying here?"
Booth guy: "I dunno, I think so, maybe check back in a few months?"

So this is not a MDR exclusive issue by any means

However, every now and again I'll come across the head engineer running the booth who knows every part spec down to the 0.003", and that restores my faith in humanity. But those guys are few and far between.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only a select few media types got to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Only a select few media types got to shoot it.
View Quote

Really?  Based on the pictures from the Thursday night shoot, there were a lot more than just a "select few media types" who attended.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BPF just uploaded this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrE-dK61p0g
View Quote

Thing sure has some recoil.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Despite the fact that DT allowed people to fire the MDR at Shot Show I am underwhelmed by the fact that it seems very little info has been shown of their media range session.

I am glad they have working guns but should any conclusions be drawn from the fact that it appears to have been purposely located at an indoor range perhaps to limit the shooting distance?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd read more into it as an indoor range is warm and lit during the evening hours compared to nearly all outdoor ranges. Even in Las Vegas the temperature drops at night, being on a windy and cold range at night isn't fun for anyone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Despite the fact that DT allowed people to fire the MDR at Shot Show I am underwhelmed by the fact that it seems very little info has been shown of their media range session.

I am glad they have working guns but should any conclusions be drawn from the fact that it appears to have been purposely located at an indoor range perhaps to limit the shooting distance?
View Quote

It focuses attention solely on DT and the MDR.  I think the coverage from this year's SHOT show has been pretty horrible thus far; I'm hoping that when people return home and have a chance to review and edit that we'll see more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, anticipate accuracy issues?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I asked them a question today via facebook and had a response within a couple hours.  I wanted to know whether or not the gas block on production guns would be adjustable and, if so, if it would have a shutoff setting.  The response is copied below.  I thought it looked like an adjustable unit on the video they published a week ago but wanted to know for sure.  

"Yes it has an adjustable gas block.  It does not have a setting to shut it off all the way but a person could rotate the gas block beyond the detent and accomplish that objective easily."
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Regarding the comment above about the two tone FDE finish on the MDR. I was told specifically at their booth that the guns being shipped will NOT be two-tone FDE.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Regarding the comment above about the two tone FDE finish on the MDR. I was told specifically at their booth that the guns being shipped will NOT be two-tone FDE.
View Quote

I for one liked the two tone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I did too
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey guys, finally have time to sit down for a few minutes and type a response about shooting the MDR.

First off, the rifle itself:

1.  Fairly lightweight, good ergonomics
2.  The safety selector on the MDR I shot (there were two there) did not seem to have positive detent clicks, but it could have been that particular gun
3.  I have no idea if this was a tool room gun, pre-production gun, or production gun, or however they break them up in their production line.  
4.  I do know the gun was capable of full auto but the full auto sear was not installed. I was told this by the Desert Tech employee who handed me the gun.
5.  I fired 5 rounds as did everyone else who fired it.  That is what you were given.  I do not know the brand of ammo we used.
6.  Recoil was...stout.  In part, it is a lighter rifle so that may have to do with it.  But based on my experience with 308 semiautos I would say that part of the stout recoil is based on the spring rate and recoil distance of the bolt.  It definitely has a sharp recoil compared to any other 308 semiauto I have ever fired.
7.  I had no malfunctions, and heard of no other malfunctions while I was there.  Nick Chen said he had one malfunction, but he did not specify what, and there is some speculation that he thought it was a malfunction due to a case not ejecting or due to it being the last shot in the gun.  I don't know either way.

As for the event:

The event was at night, after SHOT Show was closed down for the day.  It was a semi-private event (if you knew about it you could get in, we were invited by the hosts some weeks before SHOT) at an indoor range.  Multiple companies were there with their new guns, and multiple companies were set up in the lobby to show off their new products.  We were invited to bring our products and set up if we wanted to, but had elected not to (we were just at SHOT for meetings, and didn't want to have to coordinate bringing a bunch of stuff to a 4 hour event).   The event was held at an indoor range so that it was warm, well lit, easy to find, there was a place for Vendors in the main shop, and they could provide food.  Basically it was an after party that happened to have guns.  We were not aware the Desert Tech would be there, we showed up and found out that they were there.  The event was very informal, mostly a meet and greet for people in the industry to get a chance to see and try out some of the new stuff, get some food, and unwind after the third day of SHOT Show.

The short range for shooting was simply a byproduct of the location- this was simply a "try out a few rounds through our guns" for all companies, not a "wring out the maximum accuracy at 500 yards"  event, which would have been pointless anyhow as quite honestly many shooters can't shoot to the mechanical accuracy of the gun.  

Media, Manufacturers, and a bit of the public were there.  I would estimate that 50-70 people shot the MDR that night, and that I was one of the first dozen people give or take.

That is everything I know, and I would not try to draw any conclusions beyond the straight facts of what I said.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

This isnt the glowing recap I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This isnt the glowing recap I was hoping for.
View Quote

Sven and I don't always see eye-to-eye, and I've given the man my fair share of shit over the years, *BUT* he's definitely a straight-up kind of guy who's not going to sugar coat, kow-tow, or bad-mouth a product.  

Given the history of cherry-picked "prototypes", I'd say when production guns start showing up for tests by unbiased parties, then hope for glowing, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sven and I don't always see eye-to-eye, and I've given the man my fair share of shit over the years, *BUT* he's definitely a straight-up kind of guy who's not going to sugar coat, kow-tow, or bad-mouth a product.  

Given the history of cherry-picked "prototypes", I'd say when production guns start showing up for tests by unbiased parties, then hope for glowing, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
View Quote

Yeah I wasnt directing that towards his post at all and I believe him and what he said.

I just meant that it is disappointing because I was hoping to hear he was very impressed by it.  Im just assuming from reading between the lines but to me it sounds like it was a mess.

Here I was expecting an unveiling of the MDR finally at this night shoot and lots of telling info about it from the people that were invited, but it more sounds like DT was just another of other companies attending and it wasnt a special event.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here I was expecting an unveiling of the MDR finally at this night shoot and lots of telling info about it from the people that were invited, but it more sounds like DT was just another of other companies attending and it wasnt a special event.
View Quote

Yeah, I get ya, sorry.  I think when DT didn't do a big SHOT booth/rollout, the world figured this for another DT dodge.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh. Reports tempered my enthusiasm to wait on spending over $2k even longer until it gets proven or one of the other options presents itself better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the info, Sven!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, Sven!
View Quote

+1

p.s. did you receive my letter sven?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not that i am aware of, i was at shot.
View Quote

No worries then
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Love the gun, but that case is a POS.  Who is really going to keep using that when other than the gun it only holds 1 mag....  I really hope they didn't spend a lot of time and money into that plastic crap.  It might have been useful if it had room for the other caliber barrel, more bags, and optics...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Browning43,

That being said, I found the recoil to be stout, and it wasn't just the gun I shot- the crew of We Like Shooting fired the other one and also commented that the recoil was harsh (Ava from WLS said it felt like it bruised her cheek bone).  To me, the core of a rifle is shootability, and I *personally* felt that the recoil is too much for what should be expected from a 308.  I would not enjoy shooting it.  That being said I am 5'6" tall and not a big guy.  Some of you larger guys probably would find it fine.  If I were to take points off for anything, it is that recoil is too much in my opinion.  
View Quote
That's exactly what I thought when watching the videos posted of the gun being shot.  You could literally tell that the recoil looked rough.  So much for getting back on target... it would be interesting in comparing the 556 recoil to an AR15 and the 308 recoild to an AR10.  I'm willing to bet the buffer tube helps a TON.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I honestly haven't given it much attention. Given every other maker out there that has taken longer than expected to release a product, I don't think DT is much worse.
Now that they're showing some more press and videos, I'm getting interested though. A lot of the features are pretty cool and thought out. I like the idea of semi-quick change barrels.
Ergos and styling... I like it more than the Tavor and Kel-Tec.
Give all of that... there's no way I'd be an early adopter. I'll hold out for them to showcase the Gen 2 Shot 2018 or 2019, assuming that the production Gen 1 actually hits stores by late spring early summer 2017. Once all the YouTube reviewers start running it through their "tests" and beating the crap out of it, hopefully they'll identify issues that'll be addressed and mods that go into the next iteration.

Quoted: Despite the fact that DT allowed people to fire the MDR at Shot Show I am underwhelmed by the fact that it seems very little info has been shown of their media range session.
View Quote

I don't think they were at the media day outdoor shoot.

Quoted: I for one liked the two tone.
View Quote

Me too
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top