Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 in for pics and impressions. Also looking forward to getting an email from the group buy!
View Quote
Which group buy were you in on?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Me too.  I am a little put off by how the group buy has been handled.  I emailed and texted twice, the second asking about getting a refund and getting out, but never received a response.  I didn't so much want out as just an update of some kind.  I don't think an update during that 18 month period was asking for too much, especially since we were promised one on multiple occasions.  Oh well, I'll be happy if we get our rifles in a reasonable amount of time now that they are supposedly shipping.
View Quote
In hindsight, was there any benefit to the group buy?

eta:  honest question, I am not associated with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got a hold of DT today, twice.  The first time I spoke to a Jeremy he said he'd check on what's going on and call me back.

2 hours later I got a hold of Andrew, again.  Jeremy was at lunch and he didn't know when he would be back.  Andrew offered to "walk over to accounting" if i would hold.  I did.

Accounting has started processing my request and will probably issue a check sometime next week.

I called my CC and started the dispute.

Desert Tech has held on to my money since January 19th, 2016 and is now not refunding it.   They first said it may take 30 days to refund.  Then they said they won't process the refund for 30 days, now after more than 30 days they still haven't started the refund process.  When asked they said today they will send the check maybe next week.

This company took less than an hour to take my money, and after more than a month of waiting won't return it.

Feel free to share this

FA
View Quote
Desert Tech is undoubtedly one of the shadiest companies in the firearms industry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure at this point.  As of now, the answer would be no.  If I get the rifle fairly quickly, maybe.  A little communication, even if there isn't any news, goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I pulled out of the group buy in October of 16, finally got my money in late January of 17.

I'm glad I did too, the MDR doesn't really have any appeal to me amymore. It's neat and I can appreciate the innovation, but I'm heading in a different direction. A much longer range direction.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Which group buy were you in on?
View Quote
The BPF one...i'll be interested to see what happens with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Day 630!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The BPF one...i'll be interested to see what happens with it.
View Quote
Good luck, man!  I hope you get yours soon!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Called Oakland today. They said they got a few black ones in but no FDE. Next week.

I was hoping to have it for my birthday tomorrow but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Was this the BPF group buy?  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
That's the one!  If you are holding money for an item, people will feel a lot better with the occasional update.  Even if that update is nothing more than a hello, it will still put nerves to rest.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Day 630!
View Quote
630days / 2weeks = 2 moar weaks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Group buy price was a discount from MSRP
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was it though? Or was it just the MSRP price BEFORE they raised it?

I pulled out of the BPF group buy about 1 week in so I haven't gone through the ups and downs that all of you with pre-orders have.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I pulled out of the BPF group buy about 1 week in so I haven't gone through the ups and downs that all of you with pre-orders have.
View Quote
I was in the BPF group buy, I'm glad I no longer have to worry about that. I fully trust the guy running it, but having my money held up for so long, and having a company continually lie, I needed out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was discounted off the original price and then grandfathered in when DT raised the price later.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#17]
So far I've seen a couple pics in the hands of dealers, and I've seen the pic of "the first guy to get one" also at a dealer. But I've yet to see a "finally got my MDR!" from a regular guy with the standard pic of a gun on the carpet with his feet in the picture.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So far I've seen a couple pics in the hands of dealers, and I've seen the pic of "the first guy to get one" also at a dealer. But I've yet to see a "finally got my MDR!" from a regular guy with the standard pic of a gun on the carpet with his feet in the picture.
View Quote
Go over to the Bullpup Forum.  One of the posters there received his yesterday and has posted pics and a brief review.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go over to the Bullpup Forum.  One of the posters there received his yesterday and has posted pics and a brief review.
View Quote
Yup it seems as though the first batch of black ones are finally getting into peoples hands. I'll keep an eye on BFP and see if i can relay some info here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#20]
so in the time they said they started shipping there are 2 reports of guns received

At this rate in 48 years the groups buys will have all there guns.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12202.0

My new mdr pictures.  Can't post it with photobucket anymore so here's the link.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12202.0

My new mdr pictures.  Can't post it with photobucket anymore so here's the link.
View Quote
Looks great. Thanks for the contribution.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Man down.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#24]
And in related news:

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Can you share any more info with us?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can you share any more info with us?
View Quote
edit: never mind found it on BFP

hopefully i'm allowed to share here:

"Hi, Everyone,
I broke my MDR barrel lock screw. I just want everyone to be aware about it.
I wonder if it is unacceptable for a such a critical part, and it could be a concern for all end users.
I just emailed DT, Jon and Sgt_p about it, as such
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon, Everyone,

I'd like to report first casualty of my MDR bought it through Bullpupforum.com Group Buy.

It seems to be very minor.  

With great excitement, It happened when i tried to install the barrel all in a quick fashion while the barrel not really sitting tightly at the very end.

I broke the barrel lock screw, and to my surprise, if it had been real metal screw, it would not have happened.

Please advise as how to proceed to remedy this problem as it may happen to many end users."
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol wow
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Damn that was FAST.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Well when he places his order for some more pmags he should add this to his cart....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
broke the barrel lock screw
View Quote
How embarrassing for everyone involved.  Guess he shoulda paid $150 extra for the special torque wrench that you don't really need to assemble the rifle

Hope he's not down for the infinite 2 weeks while they get him a special screw.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys should go over to DU and talk guns...

Your knowledge is on par...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You guys should go over to DU and talk guns...

Your knowledge is on par...
View Quote
Go on...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Go on...
View Quote
Indeed, I too, am curious.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#35]
You don't need a torque wrench....

you don't even really need the lock...

Some JA gets his new toy, fucks it up, cause he doesn't know what he's doing.  Post's a pic and an explanation on another forum.  A fleeser cross post's the pic from that forum with no explanation, and you guy's pile on like liberals after a mass shooting...

Clearly this rifle isn't for you...

Move along.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You don't need a torque wrench....

you don't even really need the lock...

Some JA gets his new toy, fucks it up, cause he doesn't know what he's doing.  Post's a pic and an explanation on another forum.  A fleeser cross post's the pic from that forum with no explanation, and you guy's pile on like liberals after a mass shooting...

Clearly this rifle isn't for you...

Move along.
View Quote
Wow talk about jumping to conclusions... I'm a fleeser huh? I've been in on the group buy on the bullpup forum myself for a long time I'm eagerly awaiting this rifle. I'll remind you this a tech thread and I posted for tech reasons. Take your butt hurt somewhere else troll.

p.s. oh never mind i didn't post the pic so i'm not the fleeser I guess i just cross posted the post from the user explaining what happened so people in this forum wouldn't jump to conclusions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wow talk about jumping to conclusions... I'm a fleeser huh? I've been in on the group buy on the bullpup forum myself for a long time I'm eagerly awaiting this rifle. I'll remind you this a tech thread and I posted for tech reasons. Take your butt hurt somewhere else troll.

p.s. oh never mind i didn't post the pic so i'm not the fleeser I guess i just cross posted the post from the user explaining what happened so people in this forum wouldn't jump to conclusions.
View Quote
Didn't work did it?  People saw your post and still jumped to conclusions....

And still post inaccurate info....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How embarrassing for everyone involved.  Guess he shoulda paid $150 extra for the special torque wrench that you don't really need to assemble the rifle

Hope he's not down for the infinite 2 weeks while they get him a special screw.
View Quote
Is that a sort of split block clamp that's compressed with the three screws?

What are the screws made of? Looks like an ordinary socket head screw that has had part of the head turned down, might be easy to duplicate.

Looks like there's interference between the frame and the screw, recessed, maybe owner was trying to back out the screw?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#39]
If it's like the srs, which it looks to be the 2 screws to the left actually clamp the barrel in and are torqued. That screw is actually an eccentric. The barrel can be slid in in the unlock position. When the barrel is seated the screw comes around against a radius on the barrel and will hold it from slipping out even if the actual clamping screws aren't tight. It's not necessary to lock it but if it won't lock then the barrel may not be in all the way.

Anyone with a simple understanding of how the system works or some mechanical knowledge would know not to force that screw.  I know there are a lot of idiots out there though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#40]
It looks like maybe the head is turned down on the locking screw because of close bolt spacing. This.would make the head weaker. Maybe this screw is the cam locking screw that locks the barrel into position before the other two are tightened to squeeze the block closed. Obvious fix is a smaller hex screw with the same size threads and head. That would make the head stronger. I dont know if a smaller hex would suit the amount of torque needed to lock the cam into position.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If it's like the srs, which it looks to be the 2 screws to the left actually clamp the barrel in and are torqued. That screw is actually an eccentric. The barrel can be slid in in the unlock position. When the barrel is seated the screw comes around against a radius on the barrel and will hold it from slipping out even if the actual clamping screws aren't tight. It's not necessary to lock it but if it won't lock then the barrel may not be in all the way.

Anyone with a simple understanding of how the system works or some mechanical knowledge would know not to force that screw.  I know there are a lot of idiots out there though.
View Quote
Looks like a case of RTFM to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#42]
There's a you tube video from Desert Tech that shows how the system works, maybe someone can link it.
Desert Tech MDR Q&A Barrel Block | Desert Tech
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#43]
So could it be the screws are meant to be a failure point so in the case the user tried to put it together wrong the screw breaks instead of damaging something more expensive?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I've gotta say with how easy the hand guard seems to pop loose I'm still worried about if it will hold zero for a dbal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So could it be the screws are meant to be a failure point so in the case the user tried to put it together wrong the screw breaks instead of damaging something more expensive?
View Quote
That was my assumption when I saw it, I guess better to break those than the barrel nut...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

edit: never mind found it on BFP

hopefully i'm allowed to share here:

"Hi, Everyone,
I broke my MDR barrel lock screw. I just want everyone to be aware about it.
I wonder if it is unacceptable for a such a critical part, and it could be a concern for all end users.
I just emailed DT, Jon and Sgt_p about it, as such
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon, Everyone,

I'd like to report first casualty of my MDR bought it through Bullpupforum.com Group Buy.

It seems to be very minor.  

With great excitement, It happened when i tried to install the barrel all in a quick fashion while the barrel not really sitting tightly at the very end.

I broke the barrel lock screw, and to my surprise, if it had been real metal screw, it would not have happened.

Please advise as how to proceed to remedy this problem as it may happen to many end users."
View Quote
He didn't seat the barrel all the way down.  It takes very little torque to move the unlock to lock screw at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks like a case of RTFM to me.
View Quote
Precisely
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Picked up my FDE MDR from EuroOptics today. I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Hopefully Oakland will ship mine tomorrow. I had thought about getting it overnighted but then there's this damn hurricane coming in tomorrow.....
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top