“It’s Easter 2019. Our Lord is Risen, but the MDR isn’t.”

“New year, new gas blocks, new bolts, same problems”

“All I want for Christmas 2018 is a working rifle”

“It's Labor Day 2018 and MDR owners are laboring to get their rifles”

"It's April 2018 and the MDR paid beta testing experience continues."

"It's Jan 2018, and both checks and guns are bouncing back to DT."

"It's November 2nd and the outsourced parts are still out of spec"

"It's early October and tens upon tens of MDRs are probably available!"

"IT'S AUGUST 1ST AND THEY SHIPPED ONE LAST WEEK AND SAY THEY'LL SHIP MORE THIS WEEK "

"It's July, and they "want to put a couple thousand rounds through them"

"It's June and they still aren't shipping"

"It's July and "the parts are out for coating""

Most recent DT update discussion begins here

Updated 2017 Desert Tech MDR MSRP: $2,525 for .308, $2,275

Original post below

https://www.facebook.com/deserttacticalarms/posts/1058880247476050:0

That's a little lower than the rumors, I think it's a good sign.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it's good to have some news on it. Hopefully a release date announcement is coming soon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The prices are an excellent sign!  I figured the .223 would come in under $2k and once the feeding frenzy calms down should have a street price in the $1700s-$1800s.  I just hope that they're able to ship these and get them in to the Joe Average shooter's hands within the next four weeks and I hope they lift the embargos that are probably shackling the early reviewers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Pricing is better than what I was expecting. Sounds like street price on these may actually be less than a SCAR 16 or 17.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
This gun gives me the fiercest erection
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
For those who have no idea what's going on

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I want to know the pricing for the MDR-C as well, but that probably won't be for a while either. At least we've finally got a price though, means we're one step closer to seeing these released.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This gun gives me the fiercest erection
View Quote

Yep, this guy nailed it (pun intended).  I will have one in 308, I've been putting off buying a scar for this rifle.  I'm thinking Vortex 2.5-10x32 will make a nice light addition to it to keep it handy yet still capable of shooting long distance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm very curious how the supply will be, I'm in on a group buy on bullpup forum but I'm broke for the next 6 months. Depending on group price, I might just wait until summer, but I would hate the supply to be less than the demand making them unobtainable at msrp.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, I think the new Primary Arms 1-8 is perfect for this. Exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm very curious how the supply will be, I'm in on a group buy on bullpup forum but I'm broke for the next 6 months. Depending on group price, I might just wait until summer, but I would hate the supply to be less than the demand making them unobtainable at msrp.
View Quote

I'm in on the group buy too did they ever announce a finalized discount for it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, msrp just got released yesterday. No word on group price yet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Group buy? Anyway to still get in on that?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Group buy? Anyway to still get in on that?
View Quote

Go over to Bullpupforum.com and check out the MDR section. PM Sgt P if you don't see how to get in. He'll get you in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.eurooptic.com/desert-tech-mdr-rifle.aspx

Found it on Euro Optic.  Prices for both chassis and conversion kits.  Hopefully the street price drops after the initial run.  I Have the SRS A1 and its an amazingly well designed and built rifle.  I expect the MDR to be the same and I really want one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.eurooptic.com/desert-tech-mdr-rifle.aspx

Found it on Euro Optic.  Prices for both chassis and conversion kits.  Hopefully the street price drops after the initial run.  I Have the SRS A1 and its an amazingly well designed and built rifle.  I expect the MDR to be the same and I really want one.
View Quote

How certain are you of those prices?  Especially the age of them?  They're considerably higher than MSRP and if a large company like that is going to gouge like that, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Those prices were on Eurooptics before DT released their MSRP.  I wouldn't take those prices with any reliability.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those prices were on Eurooptics before DT released their MSRP.  I wouldn't take those prices with any reliability.
View Quote

That's correct.  The pricing at Eurooptics is based on pricing announced by Desert Tech themselves all the way back in January 2014 at SHOT Show (which was $2450 for the .308 MDR, and $2157 for the 5.56 MDR-C).  I'm thrilled to see the price has lowered on this announcement some $200.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a direct link to the group buy for those that are interested: https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=5192.0

The admin who runs them said they are likely to have the prices for the group buy (or at the very least more info) in the next few days.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here is a direct link to the group buy for those that are interested: https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=5192.0

The admin who runs them said they are likely to have the prices for the group buy (or at the very least more info) in the next few days.
View Quote

I hope they announce a release date soon too or else I might have to drop some cash on that STG from HMG...In any case i've been in on the group buy forever so i'll be interested to hear what the prices they announce are
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Been waiting for the release forever now. I hope they put out some videos for reliability, accuracy ect. I am also wanting the OSS suppressor version they showed last SHOT show, but showed nothing since. If this thing runs reliably I think it will be a game changer in this industry.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Been waiting for the release forever now. I hope they put out some videos for reliability, accuracy ect. I am also wanting the OSS suppressor version they showed last SHOT show, but showed nothing since. If this thing runs reliably I think it will be a game changer in this industry.
View Quote

The OSS suppressor is one of those things that people either hate or love, deride it as snake oil or praise it for it's ability, and usually don't have a clue what they're talking about or have researched it rather well.  I'm with you, I want an OSS can for my MDR when I get one. The OSS can offers things that others can't, and while it may not be as quiet as some, it gives me other benefits to compensate.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The OSS suppressor is one of those things that people either hate or love, deride it as snake oil or praise it for it's ability, and usually don't have a clue what they're talking about or have researched it rather well.  I'm with you, I want an OSS can for my MDR when I get one. The OSS can offers things that others can't, and while it may not be as quiet as some, it gives me other benefits to compensate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gen 5 OSS cans look pretty impressive in db reduction compared to their past models. Theres a few youtube videos with the gen 5 cans that look promising. I have heard bad things about their early model cans as far as db reduction, but I'm hoping these new ones are competitive in that regard. If so I will she'll out the money for one...
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been wanting one but my Common Sense tells me never to buy the Version 1.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been wanting one but my Common Sense tells me never to buy the Version 1.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat. But I would also hate to miss out on a killer price in the group buy, and then only to be left to find a rifle that the supply can't keep up with the demand. Desert Tech is a pretty solid company in the way of firearm design, and I would guess they wouldn't come to market with something  that has problems. But as soon as a few thousand rifles are in the wild, there's no telling what will happen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Given Desert Tech's reputation I hardly think Gen 1 is something to be afraid of.  If it's not right, they will make it right.

Plenty of firearms get released without a hiccup, and don't see revisions for years (for good reason).
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#28]
<Let's keep this about the MDR/Bullpups please. Thanks. AJ>
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Given Desert Tech's reputation I hardly think Gen 1 is something to be afraid of.  If it's not right, they will make it right.

Plenty of firearms get released without a hiccup, and don't see revisions for years (for good reason).
View Quote

While I understand your position. You have to keep in mind this is a new design and new territory for Desert Tech. While I'd like to see everything work right out of the gate you have to bear this in mind.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm friends with someone that worked for Desert Tech until last year, he strongly cautioned me to wait at least a year before buying an MDR.  I want a 16" .308 bad but I'm going to heed his advice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm friends with someone that worked for Desert Tech until last year, he strongly cautioned me to wait at least a year before buying an MDR.  I want a 16" .308 bad but I'm going to heed his advice.
View Quote

That's a fairly loaded statement. Did your friend give any reason as to why? Why does he no longer work for them? Did he get fired/laid off?
Does he hold a grudge? I'm not necessarily doubting him or you, but I'm kind of curious about what potential issues your friend is anticipating,
especially given Desert Tech's reputation, and also since I am on a group buy to pick this rifle up upon launch.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Also, I noticed you have a decent post count and your location
states Utah, where DT happens to be located.  I don't doubt your story
at all, I would just like some details since myself and many others
are getting ready to snatch this rifle up as soon as it comes out,
but I will gladly consider any cautionary advice if it's valid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Year old advice... not relevant....
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hartzpad, when did your friend tell you this, a year ago, or recently?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless he has some specifics and isn't just sore because he no longer works there then it doesn't matter when especially if we still don't have a release date...
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Either way, whether it is a true statement or untrue/hearsay/no longer applicable statement, that's not something I would be posting on the internet prior to a company launching a product that they've possibly dumped millions into already.
I wouldn't want to get sued.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#37]
What is the projected weight of this thing, compared to the tavor or the aug?

I want one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Either way, whether it is a true statement or untrue/hearsay/no longer applicable statement, that's not something I would be posting on the internet prior to a company launching a product that they've possibly dumped millions into already.
View Quote

I want to be an informed consumer before purchasing a firearm.  Lawsuit or no lawsuit,
if there's truth to this, I see no ethical issue with such statements.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.facebook.com/deserttacticalarms/posts/1058880247476050:0

That's a little lower than the rumors, I think it's a good sign.
View Quote

Knock $900.00 off and it would be interesting.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I want to be an informed consumer before purchasing a firearm.  Lawsuit or no lawsuit,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  He hasn't worked there in a year, I doubt his "buddies" at DT are feeding him information that would get them fired.
2.  He hasn't worked there in a year, they went through multiple revisions since last year.
3.  He hasn't worked there in a year...

That informs me that they weren't ready last year...  He said wait a year and it's been a year since he gave that advice...
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1.  He hasn't worked there in a year, I doubt his "buddies" at DT are feeding him information that would get them fired.
2.  He hasn't worked there in a year, they went through multiple revisions since last year.

That informs me that they weren't ready last year...  He said wait a year and it's been a year since he gave that advice...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good point!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is the projected weight of this thing, compared to the tavor or the aug?

I want one.
View Quote

The last weight I heard was "about 7.5 pounds" and that was a year ago.  It was also followed by, "We're working to bring that weight down even more..."
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, very good points and my friend's info is old.  He still has contacts and friends there but they certainly didn't tell him about any problems, the waiting advice was purely his own knowing how the company was run when he was there, he was not fired as far as I have heard, he left for another job. They have since brought in a head engineer from Sig and he seems to be very well respected in launching the MDR.

I'm still going to personally wait 6 months to a year to buy my MDR because:

1) they will undoubtedly make some changes or revisions in the first year
2) they will be hard to get a hold of due to demand the first year anyways

I'm not telling anyone else to wait, in fact I want everyone to buy one ASAP
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He told me this week.  But he is basing it on 1 year old + data.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They have since brought in a head engineer from Sig
View Quote

I am going to wait a bit for the MDR now.  That is about the worst thing they could've done to make the public feel good about the release of a new product.  Sig has screwed up so many product launches recently that it is like they are a completely new p.o.s. brand.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I am going to wait a bit for the MDR now.  That is about the worst thing they could've done to make the public feel good about the release of a new product.  Sig has screwed up so many product launches recently that it is like they are a completely new p.o.s. brand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have since brought in a head engineer from Sig

Don't jump to conclusions, looks like he designed several great products for Sig:  http://www.dtacomlink.com/where-is-the-mdr/
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#48]
For DT to reiterate on fb not all that long ago that it will be the most anticipated rifle of 2015, they haven't released much info at at on it. We are now in December and haven't seen any reliability testing videos. I won't buy one until I see some good videos on it. I'd like to wait until it is reviewed by MAC and others, but with the current political winds shifting more and more left, I can't wait that long. If it flops, I will buy a Scar 17....
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Some of this is making me nervous, this would be my most expensive complete rifle I've ever purchased, and I would hate to have them change a bunch of stuff after a year.

But on the other hand, they have been working on this design for quite a while, so you would think they would have every aspect of the rifle covered a couple times.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some of this is making me nervous, this would be my most expensive complete rifle I've ever purchased, and I would hate to have them change a bunch of stuff after a year.

But on the other hand, they have been working on this design for quite a while, so you would think they would have every aspect of the rifle covered a couple times.
View Quote

The MDR has a fairly complicated ejection system, springs and lifter/sweeper looking mechanism.  I certainly hope it launches bug free but I will wait about 6 months and go by reviews from reputable testers like Tim @ MAC and Plouffedaddy @ Guns&Gear. If KT c9mes out with a 6.5 Grendel in that time frame, it will be tough decision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top